Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:19:50 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Maybe you don't remember the conversation but before the JJ, Harry, etc. there was plenty of cap space to make moves. Void years gave them more cap.....so be it.
Splash moves? They got younger guys that are better at pass defense.....it just doesn't fit your negative narrative. This all was posted by PFF in regards Van Ginkel, Cashman, and Greenard. They are all liars too I guess because they don't agree with you.

Void year money robs the team of options for when they (hopefully) need to make a push. Some void year money is ok and a part of the NFL.
You and Mark were the ones drumming up all the splash moves on the horizon. Didn't happen.
Whether any of the FAs pan out remains to be seen, regardless of PFF.
See the words above? REMAINS TO BE SEEN.
REMAINS TO BE SEEN.
Won't stop you twisting that around like you normally do.

Who said splash moves? I liked those 3 moves in particular because according to PFF all three improve the pass defense and can rush the passer. In addition each was at least 2-3 years younger.

Hicks, Wonnum, and Hunters biggest weakness was what according to PFF?

Griffen, Darnold, Jones, Tillery, Backup DE from the Giants, etc. are on 1 year contracts.

Come on, you and Mark expected a couple of splash moves. Names.

It didn't happen because it couldn't happen (barring more cap smoke and mirrors).

We are as you say at $17 million but the rookies have to be paid and several million is needed for in-season stuff. So say $7.4 + 4 for that.

Whoo hoo, we might be left with $6 million. Splash away!

I said it.

We did try to get Wilkins. Supposedly the front runners at one point(guessing north of 20M). Raiders swooped in with 27.5M per year and got him.

We did look in to trading for Snead. It got to 19M per plus some injury history and we dropped out.

I'm guessing after Wilkins fell through we turned to Greenard. 18M per is still a splash move, right??

Some wanted Wilkins others wanted tanking at a certain time. Things change.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 726
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:27:27 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Seems we will place well above average in cap surplus for next year. Anywhere in the top 5? After all, most all the high dollar contracts and old dead money is gone, the QB position should be cheap, and the big years for Jefferson and Darrisaw will have yet to hit.

Might be the high-water mark of the period from 2017 to say 2031.
Post #: 727
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:28:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

I went back and did find a post where I said we won't sign any FA of substance (in my book, splash/substance/top tier are FAs signing for $20+ million). It's debatable but basically Greenard fits into that category. Where there is one emphatic statement like that there are probably more so I stand corrected. Although that was predicated on Kwesi spending responsibly, which he kind of didn't. He wasn't over the top but he wasn't getting ahead of future cap layouts either.

Just a side note, I went back further but ran into Phil advocating trading for Trey Lance or Justin Fields AND picking up their 5th year option and got sidetracked lol:

If Chicago is willing to trade Fields for a middle round pick I would be in.

4 million this year and if we want to guarantee his fifth it is 25 million....

I would do it.

Of course I did. Options other than Cousins. A true discussion topic. I am not the one pretending I am always right.

You know bringing something to discuss to the thread

LOL, I say I stand corrected, Mark says he was wrong, and now Phil tries to enter that space with a non-admission of being wrong.

Anyway, it was an amusing, albeit short-lived 'discussion'.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/2/2024 8:33:28 PM >
Post #: 728
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:37:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Watched some Will Anderson Jr. pro highlights. Turner showed the same burst/bend in his Alabama highlights. IF he stays on track as the new Will Anderson and IF Greenard puts it together and stays healthy they should be a force.
Post #: 729
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:40:27 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Seems we will place well above average in cap surplus for next year. Anywhere in the top 5? After all, most all the high dollar contracts and old dead money is gone, the QB position should be cheap, and the big years for Jefferson and Darrisaw will have yet to hit.

Yep. Having 50 signed for next year with 75M cap space or so is nice.

If we had just 30 signed, you would be taking the full amount(cap hit) of those other 21 top players.

Now, when we sign a player that makes top 51, you subtract the minimum wage(800K) from the new guy's cap hit.
Post #: 730
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 8:43:27 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Watched some Will Anderson Jr. pro highlights. Turner showed the same burst/bend in his Alabama highlights. IF he stays on track as the new Will Anderson and IF Greenard puts it together and stays healthy they should be a force.

Rip will be our 3rd Edge in rotation now. Big improvement over JonesII and the injured Davenport.
Post #: 731
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 9:38:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Yep. Having 50 signed for next year with 75M cap space or so is nice.

If we had just 30 signed, you would be taking the full amount(cap hit) of those other 21 top players.

Now, when we sign a player that makes top 51, you subtract the minimum wage(800K) from the new guy's cap hit.

That doesn't mean anything in relative terms. Right now most teams are like Minnesota, with 70-80 players on the roster. Soon teams will have 90 players. In March 2025 the same thing will happen, for everyone. Like it does every year.

IOW, everyone will be in the same boat. Sure there will be some disparity here and there among teams, but nothing massive and certainly nothing to predict now.

Furthermore, most teams probably will have a half-dozen or so minimum wage types at the bottom of their 51. Some more, some less.

But the important point is they will all conduct the same cap ~ trickery.

So having 50 signed now for 2025 is meaningless. FWIW, for 2025 Det has 70 signed, GB has 54 signed... but it doesn't matter.

It's similar to the annual cap increases. EVERY team gets the increase.
Post #: 732
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 9:56:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Hell, most teams will probably sign 10-20 players to futures contracts next year, just like they do every year. Those contracts usually activate so to speak at the beginning of the league year.

Teams can jump from 30 to 50 signed literally within hours.
Post #: 733
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 10:07:45 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Hell, most teams will probably sign 10-20 players to futures contracts next year, just like they do every year. Those contracts usually activate so to speak at the beginning of the league year.

And then there cap space will go down the total of those 20 players.
Post #: 734
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 10:39:00 PM   
marty

I didn't realize Jonathan Greenard was such a BEAST until watching some highlights on him.

Remember how Cousins struggled so much early on against the Flores' defense in practice ? Darnold and McCarthy are REALLY going to struggle with the Flores' defense with playmakers like Greenard, Turner and others flying around.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 735
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/2/2024 11:41:12 PM   
marty

Pace Jr., Greenard, and Turner flying around, WOW !!!

The defense is going to be quite fun to watch.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 736
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 8:51:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

I'm talking about the contract being activated ahead of time.

Whatever. There is no advantage right now with the Vikings having 58 signed players, 24 of them draftees and UDFAs, for the 2025 season. Maybe you think the Vikings have cornered the market on this cap reduction thing as the top 51 change, but they haven't.
Post #: 737
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 9:22:13 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm talking about the contract being activated ahead of time.

Whatever. There is no advantage right now with the Vikings having 58 signed players, 24 of them draftees and UDFAs, for the 2025 season. Maybe you think the Vikings have cornered the market on this cap reduction thing as the top 51 change, but they haven't.

No. They are in same boat as everyone else. I don't think Brez has cracked some code.

I'll just say that we both agree that they will be in good shape cap wise next year. Probably top 10. And they will need it to shore up DLine and IOLine. Plus we have a few one year deals that will need a replacement or re-signing.
Post #: 738
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 9:27:40 AM   
Jeff Jesser

All the reporting I've read is that they should be around the top 5 but who knows. Would be nice to shore up both middle lines and sign a stud CB.
Post #: 739
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 9:34:52 AM   
marty

Will need a RB to replace Aaron Jones in 2025, unless he is resigned.

Najee Harris might be available.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 740
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 1:21:05 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

LB Bo Richter from Air Force could be a ST/backup guy that sticks. Kind of like Pace Jr. his measurables aren't good but he just makes plays.

Depends on what you call measurables. He has T Rex arms at 30.6 inches and height/weight of 6'2" 248 compared to Dallas Turner at 34.4 6'4" and 251. Richter has a 9.91 RAS score which is all measurables and better than Dallas Turner at 9.49.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 741
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 1:28:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Rip will be our 3rd Edge in rotation now. Big improvement over JonesII and the injured Davenport.

Is Rip a Turner nickname? Cream rises to the top. IMO he will be our #1 edge.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 742
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 2:46:44 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

His lack of yards or touchdown catches when the season or playoff was on the line?

I get the frustration but the dude has been in 1 playoff game and his chance to be a hero was rewarded with a 3 yard check down on forth and 8.

If we are going to write off JJ as a choking loser already, this franchise is in trouble.

I didn’t call him a choking loser..

He is a money grubbing diva who thinks he’s gods gift to football receivers and he’s no moss by a mile.

He’s buddy buddy with AP..
The same player that was kicked to the curb and publicly despised and reviled by many and was happily cut loose when Mr gods greaetpurple Jesus running back want more and more money.

Jefferson might be a great player, but based on what he has done, and the fact that even with Mr mediocrity at QB, we won multiple games as Mr Griddy sat on the sidelines.

He overvalues himself and he sees this franchise, which has way overpaid for so called talent, multiple times in the past..as his ticket to generational wealth.

I.dont. Like. It.

He. Is .not.worth.it.

He can sucker ANY other franchise for his generational wealth.

We have far better uses for the cap money he wants to tie up.

33 touchdowns in 4 years… over the course of 60 games.. pedestrian. A whopping 3.3 points a game on average.

You think he deserves more money than Travis Kelce?

I do not.

Not even close to Kelce’s game effect talent.

I’d rather have Kelce than the diva who want to break the bank for his average of 3.3 points per game..

Most FG kickers contribute more.

**** the diva…

Justin Jefferson is the best player on the Vikings. He's easily within the top 5 at is posiiton in the NFL. Those players get paid. The Vikings can afford to pay him. He makes the team better by a mile. Kelce is going to the Hall of Fame. But, they play different positions and wide receivers get paid more than tight ends. It's not complicated and really Jefferson has been a model citizens from what I can tell. I don't recall him getting into any trouble. So, he wants to get paid. So, what? Why shouldn't he want to get paid? By the time he turns 30, the NFL will be looking to get him to the curb so it makes absolute perfect sense for him to want to be paid. GreedY? No, this is his profession and he's very, very good at it.
Post #: 743
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 2:54:01 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

VIKINGS:

T.J. Hockenson - TE
Jay Ward - S
J.J. McCarthy - QB

LIONS:

Hendon Hooker - QB
Terrion Arnold - CB
11:46 AM · Apr 30, 2024

Over the next three years the Vikings will spend about $57-million while the Lions will spend about $15-million. That's what I see.

That's true, but it presumes the Vikings were able to draft Sam LaPorta and it's very convenient to use hindsight now that everyone knows he's a stud. I'm a Hawkeye alumni so I actually knew that! Now, wish we had drafted the Iowa punter! Not happy that the Bears did...guy is a weapon.
Post #: 744
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 2:58:30 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

VIKINGS:

T.J. Hockenson - TE
Jay Ward - S
J.J. McCarthy - QB

LIONS:

Hendon Hooker - QB
Terrion Arnold - CB
11:46 AM · Apr 30, 2024

Over the next three years the Vikings will spend about $57-million while the Lions will spend about $15-million. That's what I see.

Used to remember this discussion 30 years ago going into my uncles barber shop....they get paid what the can get paid. Feel the same now as before.

How some things never change. It was Kirby then making too much, then KG, etc. etc. Now some of the posters are turning into those old, get off of my lawn and complain about contract types. Brad are you posting this from a salon chair?

No matter what TJ or Jet make the salary cap is in a better place in 2024 then what it was left in 2022 or 23.

Yet the IOL and DL are still shit.

And they will stay that way as long as Kwesi sets new bars for salaries.

The D Line is absolute asscheeks if we're being honest.

Agreed. It's the worst D-Line I can recall in Viking history. Hopefully, they can address it in next year's draft as it doesn't seem possible to upgrade it at this point.
Post #: 745
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 3:06:11 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

That Giants defense was an amazing defense. The Giants defense JJ was playing against was absolutely pedestrian by comparison.

True, their game plan of taking away Jefferson was successful, but the Vikings still put up 24 points, but ultimately the Giants did still get the win.

But my earlier point still stands: It's too early to give up on a potential HOF WR, especially since that WR has only played one playoff game with a Cousins led offense.

It's not giving up on him.

It's seeking equal value (subjective) in a trade.

It's re-allocating $30+ million over the next, say, three-four years.

It's not hearing he's done what no other non-QB has done... which by any barometer translates to merely a bunch of yards.

Barring a holdout (which would be high-larious), IMO his goal is to exceed Bosa's contract (5 year, $170,000,000 including $50,000,000 signing bonus, $122,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $34,000,000).

I understand your point in theory. But, you win in the NFL with superstars. Whether we like it or not, wide receivers in the NFL are now being paid huge money. If you want a superstar receiver, it will cost the team. If you don't care about having a superstar receiver, then trade him and hope that the players you draft become superstar players...it's a risk. I'd pay him and Darrisaw. Doesn't strike me as a complicated decision.
Post #: 746
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 3:11:04 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

I would say this about our edge players this year to last year.

We took 4-3 DEs (Hunter and Jones) and asked them to be 3-4 edges. These guys on occasion had to drop into coverage. They looked lost.

The guys we have now are 3-4 edge guys. I expect an overall improvement in this area. Especially with better depth.

That's a good point. Loves Hunter, but the 3-4 just doesn't suit him very well. He's such a great athlete that he still performed very well in the 3-4, but he was a beast in the 4-3.
Post #: 747
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 3:17:33 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

quote:

I would say this about our edge players this year to last year.

We took 4-3 DEs (Hunter and Jones) and asked them to be 3-4 edges. These guys on occasion had to drop into coverage. They looked lost.

The guys we have now are 3-4 edge guys. I expect an overall improvement in this area. Especially with better depth.

Yup. That switch to a 3-4 also fits with the smaller number of DTs in camp. They just don't have the classic monster 3-4 NT.

That's spot on. The really need that big nose tackle to make this defense work properly.
Post #: 748
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 3:32:59 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Is Rip a Turner nickname? Cream rises to the top. IMO he will be our #1 edge.

Van Ginkel
Post #: 749
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/3/2024 4:02:38 PM   
Ricky J

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 5/3/2024 9:26:23 PM >
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode