Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 8:42:24 AM   
Brad H

That's a lot of cash for a guy that just missed seven games with a hammy.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 951
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:10:48 AM   
Bill Johanesen

The San Francisco 49ers and Nick Bosa have agreed to terms on a five-year, $170 million contract extension with $122.5 million guaranteed.

Yep, 35 per > 34 per. But less guaranteed $.
Post #: 952
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:40:42 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Doubt any haggling is or will be on a fully guaranteed contract. But say the contract is 4-5 years for $140-175 million. IMO they are more likely to haggle over the % that's guaranteed. 70%? 80%? $100-125 million?

Bump. Had wondered if the guaranteed $ would be greater than $100 million on a 4-year contract. Guaranteed $ for AJ Brown and Waddle were each close to 90% so it seemed like $100 million would be exceeded.
Post #: 953
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:44:54 AM   
Todd M

How long until he’s asking for more
Post #: 954
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:45:40 AM   
Todd M

I wouldn’t have done it. I’m just along for the ride.
Post #: 955
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:46:45 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

There was a narrative that we should pay him $40 Million AAV fully guaranteed. Jared Allen for one was endorsing that. The reasonable $35 Million AAV $110 guaranteed deal got done.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 956
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:47:42 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Bringing his total to 7 games in 4 years.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 957
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:49:15 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 958
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:51:39 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Will be fun to see if Dallas has problems with negotiating contracts for Dak, Lamb, and Parsons whose positions are the three highest ($) in football.
Post #: 959
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 9:57:21 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Soft tissue injuries for wide receivers has a bad history.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 960
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 10:04:34 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

There was a narrative that we should pay him $40 Million AAV fully guaranteed. Jared Allen for one was endorsing that. The reasonable $35 Million AAV $110 guaranteed deal got done.

Please. A 'narrative' in your book is some random blog article/post on some obscure web site.

So while it was mentioned for 5 minutes and technically true as a narrative, $40 million per, especially fully guaranteed was never in the cards. Ergo it doesn't make $35 million "reasonable" in your strawman comparison.

$31 million was initially in the cards, based on exceeding Hill's contract. Then the cap increased around 12%. Translated, a likely figure became $34.7 million.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 6/3/2024 10:06:09 AM >
Post #: 961
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 10:13:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please. A 'narrative' in your book is some random blog article/post on some obscure web site.

So while it was mentioned for 5 minutes and technically true as a narrative, $40 million per, especially fully guaranteed was never in the cards. Ergo it doesn't make $35 million "reasonable" in your strawman comparison.

$31 million was initially in the cards, based on exceeding Hill's contract. Then the cap increased around 12%. Translated, a likely figure became $34.7 million.

It will be interesting to see how the bonus is applied. Basically Kirk's Money is now going to JJ.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 962
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 10:27:49 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

It will be interesting to see how the bonus is applied. Basically Kirk's Money is now going to JJ.

Generally the bonuses are applied equally to each of the new years of the contract and it's the salary that increases.
Post #: 963
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 10:32:31 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

Will be fun to see if Dallas has problems with negotiating contracts for Dak, Lamb, and Parsons whose positions are the three highest ($) in football.

That's going to be a lot of money for three guys! IF they all stay in dallas.
Post #: 964
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 10:33:27 AM   
joejitsu

Hopefully, Darrisaw gets his deal done early.
Post #: 965
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 11:31:20 AM   
Ricky J

Id of been ok with going in a different direction. It would of liked seeing us build a team without one player taking up so much of the cap ... again
Post #: 966
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 12:10:48 PM   
TJSweens

JJ is apparently due $88.743M at contract signing. I don't know what means structure wise.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 967
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 12:33:52 PM   
Tom Sykes

Whatever. It was going to get done one way or the other.

IMO the deal was mandated by the marketing machine that is already in place to promote JJ, not for his actual competitive impact.

Doesn't matter if Darnold or JJ fall flat and JJ's production goes down, the Wilfs have locked in the tip of their sales spear. The Griddy >>> TDs.

For some reason, we seem to think spending top dollar on players regardless of position makes us more legitimate. Can't wait to sign Darrisaw ... at least we'll be blowing our wad legitimately. Right now we're lighting up the books with top 5 contracts at WR, FB, RT, TE and S (if you go by 35 year olds).

With shirtless Kirko gone and no franchise QB on the books, the team had to go coddle somebody.

Thank God at least JJ is not a TE. If he were, KOC would have campaigned for a Jordan-like profit percentage on top of guaranteed money.
Post #: 968
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 1:02:06 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

IMO the deal was mandated by the marketing machine that is already in place to promote JJ, not for his actual competitive impact.

Doesn't matter if Darnold or JJ fall flat and JJ's production goes down, the Wilfs have locked in the tip of their sales spear. The Griddy >>> TDs.

For some reason, we seem to think spending top dollar on players regardless of position makes us more legitimate. Can't wait to sign Darrisaw ... at least we'll be blowing our wad legitimately. Right now we're lighting up the books with top 5 contracts at WR, FB, RT, TE and S (if you go by 35 year olds).

With shirtless Kirko gone and no franchise QB on the books, the team had to go coddle somebody.

Thank God at least JJ is not a TE. If he were, KOC would have campaigned for a Jordan-like profit percentage on top of guaranteed money.

I get people aren't excited to commit huge money to single player after the Kirk trauma.

But I feel like Jefferson production is gets minimized a bit.
He holds the all time record for yards in the 1st 3 years for WR I believe.
I believe he has the all time highest yards per game (98 ypg?).
Agreed, would like to see more TDs...

In addition, I think you need superstars to win.
WR is probably a bit down on the list... maybe behind qb, de, cb...
But I think guys like Kupp, Chase, Hill & Julio Jones were major factors in getting teams to the superbowl.

I really want to see the Jefferson/Addison 1-2 punch.

Kirk is gone... that was my main offseason wish.

As a Minnesota fan, if you can't be optimistic in the offseason all you got is heartache.
Post #: 969
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 1:21:39 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

Obviously i don't either.
What's done is done.
Hopefully this works out very well for our young qb
Post #: 970
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 1:45:10 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

JJ is apparently due $88.743M at contract signing. I don't know what means structure wise.

I agree with you in principal, but it just seems the way of the world now in the NFL. It's huge, generational type wealth. I'm fine with it but there is always the risk of injury that could make the deal look really, really bad. Let's just hope that he stays healthy and productive.
Post #: 971
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 1:48:47 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

I believe the thinking was to provide McCarthy with a big time receiver in JJ. Having a solid offensive structure around McCarthy is a key to his developing into a successful QB. That's the "plan" at least...let's see if it actually works!
Post #: 972
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 2:19:00 PM   
Trekgeekscott

OK. Well, if I am doing my math correctly.

If McCarthy turns into a studmuffin at QB, He will just be getting to his first free agent year when JJ goes off the books....

JJ will still be in his prime at that point barring injury so what we will do is a crapshoot. But we shall see.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 973
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 2:32:44 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

I get people aren't excited to commit huge money to single player after the Kirk trauma.

But I feel like Jefferson production is gets minimized a bit.
He holds the all time record for yards in the 1st 3 years for WR I believe.
I believe he has the all time highest yards per game (98 ypg?).
Agreed, would like to see more TDs...

In addition, I think you need superstars to win.
WR is probably a bit down on the list... maybe behind qb, de, cb...
But I think guys like Kupp, Chase, Hill & Julio Jones were major factors in getting teams to the superbowl.

I really want to see the Jefferson/Addison 1-2 punch.

Kirk is gone... that was my main offseason wish.

As a Minnesota fan, if you can't be optimistic in the offseason all you got is heartache.

My complaint is less with JJ than our approach to things. (Although I'm tired of his over-saturated commercial presence and irritated by his contractual comments)

He obviously has played himself into a great situation. I'm all for rewarding people that do that. I prefer that the reward is commensurate with the results but its not up to me.

I get you have to have to have complimentary pieces to win a SB ... I just wish we didn't have to pay our complimentary pieces cornerstone money.
Post #: 974
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 2:33:37 PM   
TJSweens

After signing JJ it looks like the Vikings now have $27M + in cap space. Once they pay the rookies, it figures to be $17M +. Next year projects to $54.5M.

Post #: 975
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode