Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 3:06:21 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Whatever. It was going to get done one way or the other.

IMO the deal was mandated by the marketing machine that is already in place to promote JJ, not for his actual competitive impact.

Doesn't matter if Darnold or JJ fall flat and JJ's production goes down, the Wilfs have locked in the tip of their sales spear. The Griddy >>> TDs.

For some reason, we seem to think spending top dollar on players regardless of position makes us more legitimate. Can't wait to sign Darrisaw ... at least we'll be blowing our wad legitimately. Right now we're lighting up the books with top 5 contracts at WR, FB, RT, TE and S (if you go by 35 year olds).

With shirtless Kirko gone and no franchise QB on the books, the team had to go coddle somebody.

Thank God at least JJ is not a TE. If he were, KOC would have campaigned for a Jordan-like profit percentage on top of guaranteed money.

I get people aren't excited to commit huge money to single player after the Kirk trauma.

But I feel like Jefferson production is gets minimized a bit.
He holds the all time record for yards in the 1st 3 years for WR I believe.
I believe he has the all time highest yards per game (98 ypg?).
Agreed, would like to see more TDs...

In addition, I think you need superstars to win.
WR is probably a bit down on the list... maybe behind qb, de, cb...
But I think guys like Kupp, Chase, Hill & Julio Jones were major factors in getting teams to the superbowl.

I really want to see the Jefferson/Addison 1-2 punch.

Kirk is gone... that was my main offseason wish.

As a Minnesota fan, if you can't be optimistic in the offseason all you got is heartache.

My complaint is less with JJ than our approach to things. (Although I'm tired of his over-saturated commercial presence and irritated by his contractual comments)

He obviously has played himself into a great situation. I'm all for rewarding people that do that. I prefer that the reward is commensurate with the results but its not up to me.

I get you have to have to have complimentary pieces to win a SB ... I just wish we didn't have to pay our complimentary pieces cornerstone money.

NE got away with it for a while (very moderate contracts and complete control) but looking what A St. Brown, Waddle, and Philly signing 2 WR to big contracts-----it is the way it is now. Basically WR and/or QBs getting the big contracts on every team.

As much as you want to say we are saving money on QB.....Darnold, McCarthy, and leftovers from Kirk will be over 40 million.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 6/3/2024 3:08:28 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 976
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 6:28:46 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Cap hits for Jefferson: 9, 15, 39, 43, 48, 6 (void)

Pay later Kwesi.
Post #: 977
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 6:33:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Average Salary: $35M (1st)
New Money Value: $140M (T1, Davante Adams)
Total Guarantee: $110M (1st)
Guarantee at Sign: $88.7M (1st)
Signing Bonus: $36.9M (1st)
Year 1 Cash: $38M (1st)
2-Year Cash: $69.9M (1st)
3-Year Cash: $95.7M (1st)

We're #1... whoo hoo!
Post #: 978
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 6:36:48 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Spotrac:

Jefferson doesn’t just have the J.J. McCarthy’s rookie contract value on his side - he also had the benefit of signing a rookie contract at the age of 21. This means, his 4 year extension (5 year total contract) will only carry him through age 29 - and that’s assuming that he plays it out in its entirety.

The most likely outcome here (assuming everything goes as planned for the organization), is that McCarthy is talented enough to warrant a contract extension after 2026 (his first year of eligibility), requiring a huge guarantee at sign escrow dump from ownership, then Jefferson extends out of this new contract after 2027, with 1 year, $34M remaining. McCarthy will be entering his age 24 season, while Jefferson will be entering his age 29 campaign.
Post #: 979
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 8:43:13 PM   
Chris Olson

Well, I love it! He is finally signed and that drama is done and he can go to mandatory minicamp and get some reps with our qb's

I have been leaning towards Florio's take on this...the longer you wait, the more you will pay, so only annoyed that it didn't happen sooner

Jefferson is literally the face of the franchise and whether that is good or bad, whatever...just ready to rally around him and hopefully JJMc will eventually surpass him

It was going to be insufferable to me for the whole storyline through minicamps and fall camp to be "If only Jefferson could be there to help develop McCarthy"...blah blah blah

Now I can't wait to hear how the minicamps go
Post #: 980
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 10:17:39 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Time for Marty to post his prediction as to when Jefferson will injure himself “accidentally “ on purpose…

I’m thinking game 11 of first new contract year, .. torn ACL or broken hand.. requiring season ending surgery and a 6-8 month rehab on IR.

Gets your bets in early..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 981
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 11:50:03 PM   
marty

Well Dan, I think McCarthy will be good eventually, and Darnold will be inconsistent, and probably suck.

IF Darnold appears to be starting the whole year, and JJ is putting up poor numbers right away, then JJ will allow himself to get injured early on, if JJ also thinks that JJ McCarthy sucks.

That way, there is a chance JJ can still be traded for a nice price, using the fact that it was Darnold that brought his numbers down.

Otherwise, I expect JJ to stay healthy.

< Message edited by marty -- 6/3/2024 11:59:34 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 982
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 1:36:07 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Pay later Kwesi.

looks like the extension parade starts during the 2026 offseason....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 983
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 7:34:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty
Well Dan, I think McCarthy will be good eventually, and Darnold will be inconsistent, and probably suck.
IF Darnold appears to be starting the whole year, and JJ is putting up poor numbers right away, then JJ will allow himself to get injured early on, if JJ also thinks that JJ McCarthy sucks.
That way, there is a chance JJ can still be traded for a nice price, using the fact that it was Darnold that brought his numbers down.

We paid a lot to Kirk who was also inconsistent at times.

Post #: 984
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 9:33:46 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Pay later Kwesi.

looks like the extension parade starts during the 2026 offseason....

Plenty of re-structures in the future. Probably have to pay the piper in about 2029 or 2030. The hope is to have a ring before that.
Post #: 985
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 9:37:21 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

We paid a lot to Kirk who was also inconsistent at times.

All humans are inconsistent at times ...

But i see you've moved on, too. ;/
Post #: 986
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 9:46:17 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

After signing JJ it looks like the Vikings now have $27M + in cap space. Once they pay the rookies, it figures to be $17M +. Next year projects to $54.5M.

Do you try to fix Center with a long term deal for Connor Williams?

Do a couple 1 year deals(DE Campbell and WR Renfrow) and try to win now. And not hurt future cap.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 6/4/2024 9:49:28 AM >
Post #: 987
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 2:20:19 PM  2 votes
Todd M

I’m so thankful for the Vikings. When you’re fighting for your life with mental health and addiction issues the world can get pretty dark. This off season has been amazing and the renewed hope I have in the team’s direction has been a positive light in the darkness. There’s no guarantees it’ll pay off with the ultimate prize - a ring…but I’m invested fully and I want to ride along with them as they try.
Post #: 988
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 3:40:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I’m so thankful for the Vikings. When you’re fighting for your life with mental health and addiction issues the world can get pretty dark. This off season has been amazing and the renewed hope I have in the team’s direction has been a positive light in the darkness. There’s no guarantees it’ll pay off with the ultimate prize - a ring…but I’m invested fully and I want to ride along with them as they try.

Todd we've had our differences over the years, but for my part I've always appreciated you. All the best.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 989
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 4:14:51 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Todd we've had our differences over the years, but for my part I've always appreciated you. All the best.

Thank you. I appreciate that.
Post #: 990
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 5:15:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

After signing JJ it looks like the Vikings now have $27M + in cap space. Once they pay the rookies, it figures to be $17M +. Next year projects to $54.5M.

Do a couple 1 year deals(DE Campbell and WR Renfrow) and try to win now. And not hurt future cap.

Yes to some long-term deals (maybe next year is more likely) to try to establish continuity as a team.

No to one year rentals to try to 'win now'. Not happening. Roll over that cap!

Strategy... what's their plan to peak as a team?
Post #: 991
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 5:51:36 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

The “ win now, just need to sign (insert overvalued position player here).. that is the only way to use the cap.” …

Has been tried and shown to be a huge failure, over and over.

Herschel Walker? Nope

Randal Cunningham? Nope.

Brett Favrey? Nope.

“ you like that”.. nope.

Quit redefining insanity by shuffling deck chair on the NFL/USS STUPID.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 6/4/2024 5:52:36 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 992
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 5:51:46 PM   
marty

I see Aaron Jones as a one year rental that will likely elevate whatever QB is playing this season, and then the following year or two, they'll be wondering why we can't get the run game going.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 993
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 5:54:57 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I see Aaron Jones as a one year rental that will likely elevate whatever QB is playing this season, and then the following year or two, they'll be wondering why we can't get the run game going.

I'm hopeful he has a big year and we resign him for one or two more.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 994
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 6:02:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

The “ win now, just need to sign (insert overvalued position player here).. that is the only way to use the cap.” …

Has been tried and shown to be a huge failure, over and over.

Herschel Walker? Nope

Randal Cunningham? Nope.

Brett Favrey? Nope.

“ you like that”.. nope.

Quit redefining insanity by shuffling deck chair on the NFL/USS STUPID.

Exactly. Build resources and strike when ready.

"We have cap, let's spend!" Might as well hire Adrian Peterson to be the team event planner. He can bring in camels as well as rare tigers.
Post #: 995
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 7:14:40 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes to some long-term deals (maybe next year is more likely) to try to establish continuity as a team.

Serious question: How do you roll over cap? Is it something to do with unearned incentives?

One year deals(with no void years) don't hurt next year's cap. It might hurt our draft position(if the players help us win games) but not the cap space.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 6/4/2024 7:16:06 PM >
Post #: 996
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 7:43:10 PM  2 votes
beo

quote:

You'd think law of averages would have to give us a break eventually.
One before I die!

You're a board institution, Todd... hang in there.
Post #: 997
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 7:59:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Serious question: How do you roll over cap? Is it something to do with unearned incentives?

One year deals(with no void years) don't hurt next year's cap. It might hurt our draft position(if the players help us win games) but not the cap space.

Yes it does often affect draft position. Like our 3-0 victory over the Raiders. We won And we lost I think 5 draft positions. I'm just saying don't spend for the sake of spending if we are not realistically in the mix for the SB.

Roll over unused cap, i.e. move surplus cap at I guess the end of the NFL year into the following year. I think the unused cap just rolls into the next year. Or teams have to apply to do it, but it's basically seamless.

If we have $17 million after paying the rooks, minus say 4 for in-season stuff then move $13 million to 2025. Then move it and more to 2026 or whenever to a time when the regime goes all out. Basically have a plan!
Post #: 998
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/4/2024 8:11:47 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes it does often affect draft position. Like our 3-0 victory over the Raiders. We won And we lost I think 5 draft positions. I'm just saying don't spend for the sake of spending if we are not realistically in the mix for the SB.

Roll over unused cap, i.e. move surplus cap at I guess the end of the NFL year into the following year. I think the unused cap just rolls into the next year. Or teams have to apply to do it, but it's basically seamless.

If we have $17 million after paying the rooks, minus say 4 for in-season stuff then move $13 million to 2025. Then move it and more to 2026 or whenever to a time when the regime goes all out. Basically have a plan!

Okay. Good to know.

Yeah, don't waste any space on a 37 year old Calais Campbell. If you can get Renfrow for 3M, I would still do it because he would help McCarthy develop.

If they believe Connor Williams is a top center, I would see what he would want in a 4 year deal.
Post #: 999
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/5/2024 7:04:16 AM   
Phil Riewer

@Mark
Conner Williams had a pretty bad knee injury but if healed up and only 27.....might be a very good option.

Post #: 1000
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode