Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: thebigo
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2024 3:11:04 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Ego over team. (Player) $ over fans. (League and Owners)

Unsustainable.

So the NFL is currently running an unsustainable model?

That would surprise a lot of people...

Like the sun it’ll eventually burn out. #boldprediction

Nah. Two primary things are driving revenue. TV contracts and gambling. Netflix, Apple TV, the networks...they all need content to sell. The NFL sells better than any other major sport. Gambling...I don't gamble myself but it's become a huge, huge part of the NFL product today. Las Vegas has proven that gambling will not eventually burn out...ever.
Post #: 926
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2024 7:59:37 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unsustainable.

Nah. Two primary things are driving revenue. TV contracts and gambling. Netflix, Apple TV, the networks...they all need content to sell. The NFL sells better than any other major sport. Gambling...I don't gamble myself but it's become a huge, huge part of the NFL product today. Las Vegas has proven that gambling will not eventually burn out...ever.

I give the NFL, the sun and gambling... 8 billion years before burning out... TOPS!
Post #: 927
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2024 8:39:08 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unsustainable.

I give the NFL, the sun and gambling... 8 billion years before burning out... TOPS!

A lot of sh#t about the NFL gets old, though - at least for me ...
Post #: 928
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2024 11:59:29 PM  1 votes
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Unsustainable.

A lot of sh#t about the NFL gets old, though - at least for me ...

Oh hell yeah... I imagine most old guys like myself find a lot of things about the current game annoying.
But for all us "old guys" complaining, the numbers don't lie... the NFL is as popular as ever.
The younger crowd grew up on video game offense and qb two hand touch.

The "in 10 years the NFL will be dead" has been around for 3 decades.
Post #: 929
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 11:47:03 AM   
TJSweens

The Vikings brought back Risner on a one year deal.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 930
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 12:06:36 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

good, not great, but good….

now sign the best remaining free agent nose tackle….

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 5/29/2024 12:09:34 PM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 931
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 12:25:38 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Just break last year's record for fewest DL snaps and roll over the unused cap.
Post #: 932
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 1:26:04 PM   
Todd M

We’re better at OL with Risner back.

It’s weird how it plays with him. Not interested or interested…ok, we’ll sign you.
Post #: 933
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 1:27:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

It’s weird how it plays with him. Not interested or interested…ok, we’ll sign you.

My guess is its the same thing as last year. Just this year Reisner figured out much sooner that his value isn't nearly as high as he thinks it is.
Post #: 934
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 1:39:03 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

My guess is its the same thing as last year. Just this year Reisner figured out much sooner that his value isn't nearly as high as he thinks it is.

Looks like incentive laden contract tied to games started.
Post #: 935
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 2:03:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Since he was our best pass blocking IOL last year, I expect he will start give our QB situation.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 936
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 2:09:35 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Since he was our best pass blocking IOL last year, I expect he will start give our QB situation.

I bet they go with Brandel and ride it out as long as it's not a total disaster... but we'll see.
Post #: 937
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 2:43:06 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Happy to have him back for depth / competition, but just a reminder that Risner's play last year didn't live up to his great reputation with Vikings fans:

• Allowed the most QB hits of any guard from week 7 (his first start) to the end of the year, with 11. Next closest was 9, and no one else had more than 6.
• Allowed 30 total pressures in that stretch of 11 games, tied for 5th most of any guard
• Had the same rate of pressures allowed per pass block snap from weeks 7-18 as Ed Ingram
• Ranked 49th of 58 starting guards in run block grade
• Pass block grade was better, but still only 20th in the league (Ingram was 34th)
• Overall grade was 41st of 58, behind both Ingram and Ezra Cleveland

Risner is a solid pass blocker but only an average starting guard.
Post #: 938
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/29/2024 3:45:36 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

Happy to have him back for depth / competition, but just a reminder that Risner's play last year didn't live up to his great reputation with Vikings fans:

• Allowed the most QB hits of any guard from week 7 (his first start) to the end of the year, with 11. Next closest was 9, and no one else had more than 6.
• Allowed 30 total pressures in that stretch of 11 games, tied for 5th most of any guard
• Had the same rate of pressures allowed per pass block snap from weeks 7-18 as Ed Ingram
• Pass block grade was better, but still only 20th in the league (Ingram was 34th)

Are we sure?
Those stats you posted make it seem like he may not even be that...
Post #: 939
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/30/2024 5:53:51 AM   
Bill Jandro

Maybe with a full TC and PS he will be better. But his play last year did not back up his mouth.

Hopefully Brandel is good. We really need better run blocking than Risner is capable of.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 940
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/30/2024 8:46:33 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are we sure?
Those stats you posted make it seem like he may not even be that...

It's probably an imported post, but I agree WRT questioning his "solid" pass blocking skills. I knew he sucked at run blocking, but the QB pressures are bad and the QB hits are off-scale high.

I thought the idea of FA signings was to get BETTER.
Post #: 941
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/30/2024 3:16:43 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

out of 84 qualified guards, risner was #22 in pass blocking...it'll be interesting to see what brandel can do there....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 942
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/30/2024 3:54:54 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

Nose tackle. I agree. It doesn't seem like the team values the position very much anymore. Watching the middle of the defensive line of scrimmage get gutted last season, I really thought that they'd address that problem.
Post #: 943
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/30/2024 3:57:55 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

If he's really an average NFL starting guard, I'm happy to have him. Can't have pro bowlers at every position, so I'll take "average" for the guard position.
Post #: 944
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/30/2024 4:22:46 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nose tackle. I agree. It doesn't seem like the team values the position very much anymore. Watching the middle of the defensive line of scrimmage get gutted last season, I really thought that they'd address that problem.

They were in the Christian Wilkens FA sweepstakes but were out bid by the Raiders. So it is on their radar.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 945
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/30/2024 5:08:24 PM   
Phil Riewer

I think that Flores wanted him or grab pass rushers.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 946
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/1/2024 11:44:28 AM  2 votes
David Levine

From DN:

Krauser:

Highly recommend Matt Fries’ long and detailed scouting report on JJ McCarthy, including all-22 clips from every game he played last year: https://zonecoverage.com/2024/minnesota-vikings-news/breaking-down-all-15-games-of-j-j-mccarthys-2023-season/

I’ll quote his conclusion, which is basically the same as my thoughts on JJ:

quote:

As a passer, J.J. McCarthy showcases good dropback footwork and play in rhythm. He can make subtle adjustments in the pocket to mitigate pressure and also make larger moves to step up and avoid pressure with an appropriate response. He’s poised under pressure or when things go a little sideways and never appears rushed or frantic. He makes proficient pre-snap reads and can identify blitzes pre-snap while correctly understanding defender leverage and executing post-snap reads. However, Michigan didn’t ask him to audible at the line of scrimmage, so that part of his game is unknown. McCarthy makes sound decisions and regularly finds the first-available open player, targeting him with an accurate pass. McCarthy has some lapses where he misses open players. More often, he can throw with anticipation to create windows for players to be open, and he rarely puts the ball in harm’s way.

McCarthy shows the ability to lead his receiver away from defenders and put the ball where only his guy can get it. He has some mechanical lapses that lead to accuracy issues, and those could develop into a major concern if he doesn’t fix them, but he has examples of accurate throws to every level of the field in every direction. He’s particularly proficient throwing over the middle with zip to beat linebackers and get big chunks on tight-window, NFL-level throws. McCarthy can change his arm slot for accurate throws and generates significant velocity even without setting his feet on throws on the move.

McCarthy looks to throw when scrambling but will use his legs when he sees a clear opportunity. He has the athleticism to do significant damage, accelerating past LBs and working around tacklers with his quickness. He’s also used on designed runs, where his quickness and ability to set up his blockers show up. McCarthy may not be an elite athlete, but he is very proficient as a runner and will provide a threat with his legs at the next level. He generally takes care of the football, fumbling only three times across Michigan’s 15-game season.

HOW READY IS HE TO PLAY?

Now on to the question everyone wants to know — is J.J. McCarthy ready to start Week 1? I think it’s highly unlikely, given that the Vikings brought in Sam Darnold and appear to have a well-defined development track for McCarthy. However, I think that McCarthy would succeed if asked to start right away. One thing that’s hard to translate over a scouting report or with words is the consistent poise that McCarthy demonstrates. The situation was never too big or too daunting for him, even given his age. He took pressure, bad snaps, and poor routes by receivers in stride and consistently made positive plays. That gives me faith that he can make it work at the NFL level, and soon.

Still, there are a couple of markers that I would like McCarthy to hit before he takes the field in a real game. The first is with footwork, particularly on the throws I highlighted going to the left. To succeed in the NFL, he needs to get synced up with his receivers and be more accurate on those plays. That should be very possible. Kevin O’Connell made it clear before the draft that he firmly believes footwork issues are fixable. The second is something we don’t have great insight into, and that’s the ability to manage the game at the line of scrimmage, reading the defense and calling audibles. Like most QBs, McCarthy didn’t have to do that in college. However, his poise and consistently correct reading of the defense lead me to believe he has the capacity to learn that skill quickly.

Time will tell if the Vikings made the right choice in taking McCarthy, but the signs from his college tape are positive for me. I believe McCarthy has the skills to develop into an upper-tier NFL QB, and his college tape was extremely positive. He will certainly face more adversity at the NFL level than he did in college, but he performed well at Michigan in the rare situations where the game was put on his shoulders, and he appears to have the mindset to work through the adversity he will face. To me, McCarthy is a great pick.
Post #: 947
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/2/2024 8:14:42 AM   
marty

So McCarthy should do better than Kirk on the 3rd and short QB runs, and I am guessing KOC will put back in the play where the QB goes out as a WR on a short yardage play ?

< Message edited by marty -- 6/3/2024 9:12:55 AM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 948
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 8:34:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

4/140 for JJ.
110 Guaranteed according to ESPN.

Post #: 949
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/3/2024 8:35:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
A record deal: the Vikings and three-time Pro-Bowl WR Justin Jefferson reached agreement on a four-year, $140 million contract extension that includes $110 million guaranteed and makes him not only the highest-paid WR in NFL history, but the highest-paid non-QB in NFL history, sources tell ESPN.

Jefferson’s deal includes $88.743 million due at signing, the highest non-QB guarantee at signing in NFL history. And it resets the WR market.

WME Football negotiated and confirmed the deal.

Post #: 950
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode