Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/23/2024 6:27:25 PM   
kgdabom

Onebar and Lupagus had Walter Rouse as a guest and I swear he is about the most likeable person you will ever meet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVXIEArDOgY

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 901
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 6:20:54 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmaltes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

In terms of the guaranteed money, an issue for the Wilfs may be that they are cash poor and having to place the total guaranteed contract amount in escrow will be a big deal to them. This is something that separates the ability of richer owners to provide larger guaranteed contracts than the financially weaker owners like the Wilfs. Also, the Wilfs are real estate developers, so it is likely that they do not hold a lot of "liquid wealth".

The NFL has a salary floor and cap. The Wilfs have had no problem guaranteeing money up to the cap for years. Their financial wherewithal is fine. No pro sports organization vets its owners like the NFL.

That's not what he's talking about. Even if a player isn't going to get all his guaranteed money for years, it all needs to be available the day the contract is signed.

quote:

Per current league rules, all future fully guaranteed money due in a player contract must be placed in escrow at the time the deal is consummated.

"This is actually a huge advantage to high revenue, high profit teams, and a huge disadvantage to the smaller-market teams,"

The Wilfs are one of the bottom five owners in terms of net worth and not even close to the top 15 owners. Also, I doubt they have much liquid wealth either which means they actually have to borrow the money for the quarantees that adds easily another 6%plus a year cost. I still think that they will sign Jefferson, we cannot ignore that contract guarantees are a financial issue for them and the other "poor" owners. Personally, I think the league should guarantee the contract payments to maintain parity but the richer owners will not agree. See rankings below:
https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/lists/richest-owners-in-the-nfl-rob-walton-broncos-ranked-number-one/

That's may be a worthy consideration for the Wilds. However, any owner also has to have the willingness to let that money sit for years out of their control. I imagine money is at the top of their lists of things to keep. Look at the Waltons as the richest owners... they didn't get that way by shelling out big bucks to their employees. $150 million in escrow for a single employee? Blasphemy! That's only what they do for themselves!

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/24/2024 6:24:18 AM >
Post #: 902
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 8:04:35 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

It’s not just a matter of getting the best deal he can he’s holding out for the best deal ever gotten. For a non QB anyway.

You really think KOM is trying to go cheap? He’s said publically JJ deserves a contract in line with the special player he is. But JJ wants +++.

Agreed. I'm sure we've offered the largest contract ever for a WR and maybe even for a non QB. That should be good enough if he gives a rat's ass about his teammates.

You have no idea what has actually been offered or how the offer has been structured or even if their has been an official offer. It's all speculation at this point. It's reasonable to assume it will be the biggest offer made to a wr since JJ is the best wr in the game. It's also reasonable for JJ to hold out for the biggest deal he can possibly get, since he never have this kind of leverage again.

I absolutely have an idea about all of that. I shared my idea. Of course it's speculation. IMO he shouldn't hold out for the absolute biggest deal he can get. Leave a little bit on the table. If a few players follow suit we can field a better team and to me that has more value than getting 2% more on his contract.

He's under no moral obligation to take less. He could blow out a knee the first day of camp and it all goes away. Any player would be foolish not to get the most guaranteed money he can. Any agent who doesn't try to get his client the biggest payout, does that client a disservice. If a contract like that doesn't work for the Vikings, then by all means move him.

Nope he's not. Poor guy if he blows out his knee day 1 of camp. How could he possibly manage on $100 million instead of 105 Million. Who has more to lose? The player or the Team. I would say the team by far. I'm just giving my opinion on what he should do. Don't hold out for every last penny. Agree to 140 million over 4 years with 100 million guaranteed instead of holding out for 144 million with 105 million guaranteed. Get the contract done now and get to camp instead of having your image tarnished as a gold digging diva over 2% more money. The better his image he will more than make up that $4million he left on the table. Get himself prepared for the best season possible which includes as much time practicing with your new QBs as possible. The better he plays he will more than make up that $4million he left on the table. If you feel he must have that extra 4 Million go ahead. I think he's making a mistake that will hamper his future happiness.

Post #: 903
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 8:28:05 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It’s not just a matter of getting the best deal he can he’s holding out for the best deal ever gotten. For a non QB anyway.

You really think KOM is trying to go cheap? He’s said publically JJ deserves a contract in line with the special player he is. But JJ wants +++.

Agreed. I'm sure we've offered the largest contract ever for a WR and maybe even for a non QB. That should be good enough if he gives a rat's ass about his teammates.

You have no idea what has actually been offered or how the offer has been structured or even if their has been an official offer. It's all speculation at this point. It's reasonable to assume it will be the biggest offer made to a wr since JJ is the best wr in the game. It's also reasonable for JJ to hold out for the biggest deal he can possibly get, since he never have this kind of leverage again.

I absolutely have an idea about all of that. I shared my idea. Of course it's speculation. IMO he shouldn't hold out for the absolute biggest deal he can get. Leave a little bit on the table. If a few players follow suit we can field a better team and to me that has more value than getting 2% more on his contract.

He's under no moral obligation to take less. He could blow out a knee the first day of camp and it all goes away. Any player would be foolish not to get the most guaranteed money he can. Any agent who doesn't try to get his client the biggest payout, does that client a disservice. If a contract like that doesn't work for the Vikings, then by all means move him.

Nope he's not. Poor guy if he blows out his knee day 1 of camp. How could he possibly manage on $100 million instead of 105 Million. Who has more to lose? The player or the Team. I would say the team by far. I'm just giving my opinion on what he should do. Don't hold out for every last penny. Agree to 140 million over 4 years with 100 million guaranteed instead of holding out for 144 million with 105 million guaranteed. Get the contract done now and get to camp instead of having your image tarnished as a gold digging diva over 2% more money. The better his image he will more than make up that $4million he left on the table. Get himself prepared for the best season possible which includes as much time practicing with your new QBs as possible. The better he plays he will more than make up that $4million he left on the table. If you feel he must have that extra 4 Million go ahead. I think he's making a mistake that will hamper his future happiness.

Do you know that those are the actual numbers being tossed back and forth? If you don't know, then you're dilly dillying for no apparent reason.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 5/24/2024 8:29:32 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 904
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 10:22:47 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't let facts get in the way of speculation and indignation!

JJ was probably criminally underpaid on this rookie contract compared to his production.
JJ will probably be criminally overpaid on his next contract (Vikes or other team).
That's the system.

I don't get the hand wringing.
Vikes have leverage and cap room and things will likely turn out fine one way or the other.

(BTW, Not a lot of complaining about teams underpaying rookies on rookie contracts who are elite... I get it... that is the view of the fan...)

Let’s ask that other leveraged capital real estate tycoon from New York , how that all works out in the end…

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 905
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 11:00:15 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you know that those are the actual numbers being tossed back and forth? If you don't know, then you're dilly dillying for no apparent reason.

If JJ is refusing to play/demanding even more than those #s franchise or trade him. We have to draw the line somewhere. I'd guess he'd draw very little interest in trade because almost nobody would want to have to sign him for more than those numbers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 906
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 11:51:26 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

JJ is not a gamebreaker. He's an excellent wideout but doesn't score a lot. If he can't handle being the highest paid wr and having a substantial amount guaranteed move on. Makes me wonder what the actual offer on the table is.
Post #: 907
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 12:00:01 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If JJ is refusing to play/demanding even more than those #s franchise or trade him. We have to draw the line somewhere. I'd guess he'd draw very little interest in trade because almost nobody would want to have to sign him for more than those numbers.

When did he say that?
What games has he missed?

Just let it play out... could be much ado about nothing.
Or not... LOL
Post #: 908
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 12:01:13 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't let facts get in the way of speculation and indignation!

JJ was probably criminally underpaid on this rookie contract compared to his production.
JJ will probably be criminally overpaid on his next contract (Vikes or other team).
That's the system.

I don't get the hand wringing.
Vikes have leverage and cap room and things will likely turn out fine one way or the other.

(BTW, Not a lot of complaining about teams underpaying rookies on rookie contracts who are elite... I get it... that is the view of the fan...)

Let’s ask that other leveraged capital real estate tycoon from New York , how that all works out in the end…

I missed the reference, Dan.
Who are we talking about?
Post #: 909
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 2:25:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

JJ will be suited up for week one. No way he lets Chase, Lamb, etc. outgain him in yards.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/24/2024 2:27:10 PM >
Post #: 910
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 2:37:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In terms of the guaranteed money, an issue for the Wilfs may be that they are cash poor and having to place the total guaranteed contract amount in escrow will be a big deal to them. This is something that separates the ability of richer owners to provide larger guaranteed contracts than the financially weaker owners like the Wilfs. Also, the Wilfs are real estate developers, so it is likely that they do not hold a lot of "liquid wealth".

The NFL has a salary floor and cap. The Wilfs have had no problem guaranteeing money up to the cap for years. Their financial wherewithal is fine. No pro sports organization vets its owners like the NFL.

That's not what he's talking about. Even if a player isn't going to get all his guaranteed money for years, it all needs to be available the day the contract is signed.

quote:

Per current league rules, all future fully guaranteed money due in a player contract must be placed in escrow at the time the deal is consummated.

"This is actually a huge advantage to high revenue, high profit teams, and a huge disadvantage to the smaller-market teams,"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-deshaun-watsons-game-changing-deal-and-its-ramifications-hottest-topic-at-owners-meetings/#:~:text=Per%20current%20league%20rules%2C%20all,time%20the%20deal%20is%20consummated.

The Wilfs are one of the bottom five owners in terms of net worth and not even close to the top 15 owners. Also, I doubt they have much liquid wealth either which means they actually have to borrow the money for the quarantees that adds easily another 6%plus a year cost. I still think that they will sign Jefferson, we cannot ignore that contract guarantees are a financial issue for them and the other "poor" owners. Personally, I think the league should guarantee the contract payments to maintain parity but the richer owners will not agree. See rankings below:
https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/lists/richest-owners-in-the-nfl-rob-walton-broncos-ranked-number-one/

Wilf is bottom two according to the link with net wealth not listed. Strange way to rank but following the net wealth of owners 1-30, he may be at 1 billion. So he'd have to tie up at least 10% of his wealth. And like you said, liquidity wise it would be more.

Wilf. Convicted crooks, shitty shopping malls and desperate enough to partner with... Reggie Fowler.

He was one of a group of investors, led by Zygmunt Wilf, who purchased the National Football League's Minnesota Vikings from previous owner Red McCombs in 2005. He initially sought to be the general partner himself, thereby becoming the first minority owner of an NFL franchise, but withdrew his bid when he could not provide details about his stake in the ownership group. Instead, he became a limited partner in the group so that he would not lose his $20 million deposit. He did not disclose any information about his financial situation to the media. By October 2014, he was no longer a limited partner of the Minnesota Vikings.

In April 2022, Fowler pleaded guilty to bank fraud, bank fraud conspiracy, operation of an unlicensed money transmitting business, conspiracy to operate an unlicensed money transmitting business, and wire fraud.[9]

On Monday June 5, 2023 Fowler was sentenced in Manhattan federal court to six years and three months in prison and was ordered to forfeit $740 million and pay restitution of $53 million.
Post #: 911
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 3:12:39 PM   
thebigo

The vikings franchise is valued at $4.6B, owned by Zygi Wilf, who purchased the team for $600M. I don't see how Wilf's net worth could be less than 1/3 of the profit he has made on the team. I mean I could see how, but it would seem unlikely in the extreme. But I'm no CPA.
Post #: 912
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 4:08:41 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Considering half the owners in that link have a listed NW below-far below just the value of the Vikings, the list has some unknown characteristics.

Since the franchise value isn't liquid, maybe Wilf can sell off a few club suites to fund Jefferson's guaranteed money. Or a bunch of malls at pennies on the dollar.
Post #: 913
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 5:07:32 PM   
Todd M

Stadium paid off super early. We have world class facilities. We spend in FA.

Wilfs aren’t the worst.
Post #: 914
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 6:23:56 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Who said they are the worst? Quite a leap from merely speculating about setting aside $100+ million for JJ's generational wealth.

And you are crediting the Wilf's for early payment?

The office of Minnesota Management and Budget announced Monday that the state has officially paid off $377 million in bond debt for U.S. Bank Stadium, a full 20 years earlier than anticipated. Commissioner Jim Schowalter said paying off the debt will save taxpayers $226 million in interest.

Former Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton always insisted on calling U.S. Bank Stadium the “People's Stadium.” After the Minnesota Department of Management and Budget paid off the final $378 million in bond payments Monday, it truly is owned by the people. LOL.

And... oh...

Less than seven months after that deal, the stadium authority is looking for $62 million in public money to improve the facility.

The MSFA is set to ask the Minnesota Legislature and Gov. Tim Walz for that sum to construct an enhanced security perimeter around the stadium. The latest request isn’t directly connected to the bond retirement but shows how public financing of sports facilities can remain a fluid concept, even years after a stadium or arena is built. U.S. Bank Stadium opened in 2016.

And new turf!

Yes, a very fluid concept.

The convicted crooks made out well, mostly due to great timing and getting $377 million in public funding for the 'people's stadium'.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/24/2024 6:26:25 PM >
Post #: 915
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 6:31:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Another oh...

But for Minneapolis residents, the construction debt is not completely paid off. Money is owed to the state for the city's portion of construction bonds.

Eh, I'm sure further digging would lead to a mishmash of numbers and politicians trumpeting more savings.
Post #: 916
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/24/2024 7:23:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Who said they are the worst? Quite a leap from merely speculating about setting aside $100+ million for JJ's generational wealth.

The office of Minnesota Management and Budget announced Monday that the state has officially paid off $377 million in bond debt for U.S. Bank Stadium, a full 20 years earlier than anticipated. Commissioner Jim Schowalter said paying off the debt will save taxpayers $226 million in interest.

Former Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton always insisted on calling U.S. Bank Stadium the “People's Stadium.” After the Minnesota Department of Management and Budget paid off the final $378 million in bond payments Monday, it truly is owned by the people. LOL.

And... oh...

Less than seven months after that deal, the stadium authority is looking for $62 million in public money to improve the facility.

The MSFA is set to ask the Minnesota Legislature and Gov. Tim Walz for that sum to construct an enhanced security perimeter around the stadium. The latest request isn’t directly connected to the bond retirement but shows how public financing of sports facilities can remain a fluid concept, even years after a stadium or arena is built. U.S. Bank Stadium opened in 2016.

And new turf!

The convicted crooks made out well, mostly due to great timing and getting $377 million in public funding for the 'people's stadium'.

I'm pretty sure they're still collecting taxes from stuff they created to pay for the metrodome.
Post #: 917
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2024 2:24:30 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

The vikings franchise is valued at $4.6B, owned by Zygi Wilf, who purchased the team for $600M. I don't see how Wilf's net worth could be less than 1/3 of the profit he has made on the team. I mean I could see how, but it would seem unlikely in the extreme. But I'm no CPA.

You get that the increased value of the franchise is not profit until it’s sold, right?
Post #: 918
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/26/2024 4:01:07 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

You get that the increased value of the franchise is not profit until it’s sold, right?

Unrealized profit affects net worth. I agree with thebigo.
Post #: 919
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2024 1:04:19 PM   
Todd M

Word is Seedy Lamb is fine waiting out an extension until Jefferson signs…and he can top it.

Is this what is delaying things. Gotta be the top dog when it all shakes out? Losing my taste for this giant pending contract.
Post #: 920
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2024 4:29:00 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

I'm no CPA
Post #: 921
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2024 4:41:40 PM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm no CPA

So numbers aren’t your thing. Question is, would you shoot a canary in the face with a shotgun?
Post #: 922
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/27/2024 5:09:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm no CPA

So numbers aren’t your thing. Question is, would you shoot a canary in the face with a shotgun?

If I could get close enough.
Post #: 923
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2024 8:46:51 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Aiyuk is officially in the WR contract competition.
Post #: 924
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/28/2024 10:44:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

And... oh...

And new turf!

I'm pretty sure they're still collecting taxes from stuff they created to pay for the metrodome.

Correct...they never reduced the Sales Tax after it was paid off.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 925
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode