Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Kurt B
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 4:26:35 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

So, JJ being out for the year doesn’t really impact his career path much, as I stated in an earlier post.

I agree. He entered this season with very little experience running a two-minute offense. He will start next season with very little experience as well. Sitting out a year has no impact.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 8/14/2024 4:30:27 PM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 4:27:54 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

So will they have a bridge QB in 2025 while they continue their careful and methodical grooming plan for McCarthy?

From McMoxie to McMeniscus just like that.

Which quarterback are we drafting next season?

Bucs need a QB?

Have to admit... that is an instant classic slapdown beatdown post!

It's like going to a Trump rally. An oldie that never was a goodie.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 4:34:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Season goals:
- Players progress.
- Coaches are able to determine who is part of the future and who needs to go.
- A couple of unknowns step up.
- No mid-late season injuries.
- Dallas Turner gets 12+ sacks on the way to being the real deal.
- Record allows a top 5 draft position.

Later:
- Find a Jerry Ball/Pat Williams clone for NT in free agency.
- Trade down some and get a top-rated CB while adding a pick or two.
Post #: 1403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 4:36:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

So will they have a bridge QB in 2025 while they continue their careful and methodical grooming plan for McCarthy?

From McMoxie to McMeniscus just like that.

Which quarterback are we drafting next season?

Bucs need a QB?

Have to admit... that is an instant classic slapdown beatdown post!

It's like going to a Trump rally. An oldie that never was a goodie.

You're right in that it was an oldie that was never a goodie... for Vikings fans. I remember your mocking, slap in the face to the Vikings community post minutes after TB won... super large font, bolded.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/14/2024 4:43:34 PM >
Post #: 1404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 4:40:33 PM  3 votes
Bill Johanesen

And keep political references out of this thread. Alas, you can't help yourself as you seek self-gratification.. there is a term for that!
Post #: 1405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 5:16:10 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Warren Ludford@wludford
So, today's Vikings news:

- J.J. McCarthy out for season
- Jordan Addison taken off on a cart
- Sam Darnold starts 1/12 with a pick in joint practices
- Thayer Thomas went down hard too

Other than that, it's been good?

Vikings' Jordan Addison is believed to have avoided serious injury after being carted off from practice

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-jordan-addison-believed-to-have-avoided-serious-injury-after-being-carted-off-from-practice/

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 5:20:41 PM   
David Levine

Ben Goessling@BenGoessling
Jordan Addison was on crutches with his left foot in a walking boot after the #Vikings' practice in Cleveland today, I'm told.

Kevin O’Connell said Addison's ankle injury didn't appear to be serious. Addison won't practice Thursday; we'll see how long he needs to recover.
Post #: 1407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 7:41:47 PM   
joejitsu1

quote:

Jordan Addison was on crutches with his left foot in a walking boot after the #Vikings' practice in Cleveland today, I'm told.

Kevin O’Connell said Addison's ankle injury didn't appear to be serious. Addison won't practice Thursday; we'll see how long he needs to recover.

That's positive news. Hopefully he's back in a week or two.
Post #: 1408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/14/2024 7:44:45 PM   
joejitsu1

quote:

Season goals:
- Players progress.

Later:

I love that idea. We have to get bigger all along the oline. The 280 pound dudes wear out by week 10. That can't be fixed unless you have some big boys in the middle.
Post #: 1409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 2:55:49 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Season goals:
- Players progress.

Later:

this is why i'm hoping the kwesi keeps gabriel murphy, mcglothern, jurgens, and maybe richter and rodriquez, others...we have so few draft picks next year and it seems too risky that we'd get poached trying to hide a player on the practice squad....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 7:14:35 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu1

quote:

Crutches and a walking boot sounds fairly serious to me. Possible high ankle sprain.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 8:27:58 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Crutches and a walking boot sounds fairly serious to me. Possible high ankle sprain.

When news said he was carted off the field, I thought it was because he was sleeping. But then thought nah, he tends to sleep in a parked car late at night on a freeway.

Well, he can get a lot of rest now.
Post #: 1412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 8:48:36 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

The last time KOC said an injury didn't appear serious was JJM and he's out for the year now.
Prior to that there was Shaq Griffin....has he practiced yet?

Color me cynical, but I am concerned.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 1413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 10:27:10 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

The last time KOC said an injury didn't appear serious was JJM and he's out for the year now.
Prior to that there was Shaq Griffin....has he practiced yet?

Color me cynical, but I am concerned.

Not that it makes a difference, in the end, but I was thinking that as well.

What a bummer, as almost all of us, I was getting really excited about watching him develop this year.
Post #: 1414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 10:58:00 AM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

So, JJ being out for the year doesn’t really impact his career path much, as I stated in an earlier post. For 2024 however it does impact QB depth. If Darnold goes down, or let’s face it just sucks, a definite possibility, previously we could just stick JJ in, start the clock on him and let him take his lumps. Now we’re suddenly repeating the QB carousel of last year. Whee! What fun.

My exact thoughts. At the rate the team is experiencing injuries in the preseason, it may be over before the season even starts. If Darnold isn't very good and stays healthy, then they're really screwed this year because we saw what happened when Mullens and Hall played last year and they were both terrible. Let's hope for a Darnold redemption season or we'll be picking very high in next year's draft...it's a bummer to even be thinking about the draft at this point in time.
Post #: 1415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 11:08:56 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

So, JJ being out for the year doesn’t really impact his career path much, as I stated in an earlier post. For 2024 however it does impact QB depth. If Darnold goes down, or let’s face it just sucks, a definite possibility, previously we could just stick JJ in, start the clock on him and let him take his lumps. Now we’re suddenly repeating the QB carousel of last year. Whee! What fun.

It doesn't impact his personal career path, but it sure does affect the team. At this rate it may very well his year 3 before he can complete an entire season as a starter. Assume that year is one where he is still learning and before you know it it will be contract time. There may not be enough of a body of work to make a smart decision.

And in general, it's another year where we are just treading water at QB. Kind of like when Kwesi took 2-3 years to get rid of high salaries and/or deadwood instead of 1-2 years. A wasted year.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 8/15/2024 11:45:06 AM >
Post #: 1416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 11:17:32 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

My exact thoughts. At the rate the team is experiencing injuries in the preseason, it may be over before the season even starts. If Darnold isn't very good and stays healthy, then they're really screwed this year because we saw what happened when Mullens and Hall played last year and they were both terrible. Let's hope for a Darnold redemption season or we'll be picking very high in next year's draft...it's a bummer to even be thinking about the draft at this point in time.

As opposed to being kinda screwed.

There is simply not enough talent when 100% healthy. With injuries, it's worse. Screwed either way.

As mentioned, maybe some unknowns will step up and replace the deadwood. Like what is James Lynch doing on the team.
Post #: 1417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 11:39:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Maybe some people have bought into the 'competitive rebuild' mantra (i.e. an off-handed BS marketing ploy). Other people have not bought into that one bit. I think this year the team bottoms out, and it's the middle of a three year period where we should reasonably expect a crappy record. Yet also embrace a potential high draft position. Because we need every asset we can get the next two years if there is any chance to make some waves.
Post #: 1418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 1:05:22 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

As opposed to being kinda screwed.

There is simply not enough talent when 100% healthy. With injuries, it's worse. Screwed either way.

As mentioned, maybe some unknowns will step up and replace the deadwood. Like what is James Lynch doing on the team.

Yeah the injury/tragedy narrative is growing in here that Jackson, Blackmon, JJ, Van Ginkel, Hockensen, and almost Addison have bounced our trajectory into a spiral in someway. More like a 9.00163% course correction downward as a franchise. (based on rigorous scientific analysis)

In other words, not by a lot. We are too thin at important positions to make significant headway this year.

We ARE starting the process of adding good homegrown assets ... that's a very good thing and about time.

It felt like we had made significant progress this year at the QB position, on what the regime calls its three year strategic plan. Even if the plan unfolded perfectly because Cousins got a whiff of money elsewhere and sent us to hell (not a complaint, I thank God for that), and we were able to sign draft bust / possible reclamation project Darnold on a one year 'try me' deal, and we were able to land our 3rd or 4th favorite prospect in the draft.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of things out of our control and I think we adjusted nicely with a Darnold-type and JJ.

Of course, we still have Mullens and Hall on the roster. This is my main objection. Before JJs injury certainly but especially right now, 24 hours after JJ's situation ... we should be vetting competition for Mullens and Hall both. Out the yin yang.

We are hanging by a thread from last year's QB situation. We might already be squarely in it if Darnold isn't somehow reclamated by QB guru Kevin.

Will signing a Tannehill or some lesser journeyman at this point change our winning trajectory? No. But the young players on the team can't make much headway in a QB dumpster fire like last year, and we can't even properly evaluate these players and positions if we trot out the usual sub-par suspects.

We have enough pieces that average / just below average QB play will allow for some healthy development and a better assessment of the roster moving forward. If Darnold plays like he has in the past (or gets injured) and / or we end up with Mullen Hall ...

then the whole team is getting a redshirt year with JJ.
Post #: 1419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 1:26:57 PM  2 votes
marty

IF the Vikings get the top pick in next year's draft, they might want to consider drafting a QB with that pick.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 1:30:00 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

IF the Vikings get the top pick in next year's draft, they might want to consider drafting a QB with that pick.

No and no.

No chance.
Post #: 1421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 2:00:09 PM   
kevinemmer

I want Heineke signed...scrapper.
Post #: 1422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 2:08:56 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

I want Heineke signed...scrapper.

We'd have to trade for him.

He's in the 2nd year of a 2/14M contract with Atlanta.
Post #: 1423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 3:31:33 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

A boot? That doesn't sound promising.
Post #: 1424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/15/2024 3:38:26 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

Season goals:
- Players progress.

Later:

I love that idea. We have to get bigger all along the oline. The 280 pound dudes wear out by week 10. That can't be fixed unless you have some big boys in the middle.

Agreed. They need to add a dominant nose tackle and a shut down corner. They have neither right now. One red flag that I noticed during the first preseason game was that the defense was terrible in the first half. Receivers were running wide open and the Raiders ran at will against the Vikings. I'm not quite as sold on Flores' defense as some might be. It seemed by the end of last year, the league had figured his scheme out and I'm concerned that what I saw last Saturday might be a harbinger of bad things to come. With JJ out, the defense must take a huge step forward this year for the team to be at least competitive.
Post #: 1425
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode