Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 9:52:22 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeah, me either. I finally found a way to watch that last preseason game. Sure, it was against 2nd and mostly 3rd teamers (or guys that would get cut) but he looked pretty decent for a 3rd string guy. He clearly had learned the system. His one flaw was that every pass (even the ones he completed) were almost always thrown too high.

I assumed that was pretty correctable and thought he was locked in @3.
Post #: 1801
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 9:54:39 AM   
Jeff Jesser

If I remember the pre-draft stuff right. Rypien was considered a grip it rip type guy. Arm strength wasn't an issue. His issues were between his ears and he needed to learn to cut down the dumb throws. Ala....Mullens.
Post #: 1802
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 9:55:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

SKOR North - Minnesota Sports
@SKORNorth
·
4m
The #Vikings have signed veteran QB Brett Rypien to their active roster and are waiving Jaren Hall. #SKOL

Meh

It would be great if we could trade Mullins and just keep one back up on the 53.

Sounds like he has a leg contusion so he wouldn't be available for a week or two. No IR and a chance to put on PS.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1803
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 10:15:29 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

@SKORNorth
·
4m
The #Vikings have signed veteran QB Brett Rypien to their active roster and are waiving Jaren Hall. #SKOL

I thought we would go after Huntley.

Biden got bernied. The irony.
Post #: 1804
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 10:17:30 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Meanwhile, the NYG were last in sacks allowed last year with a whopping 85! For perspective Carolina was next with 65.

So maybe Flores will bring the heat!

It could be a long day for both QBs. NYG DLine is pretty good.

Biden got bernied. The irony.
Post #: 1805
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:05:13 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

@SKORNorth
·
4m

Meh

It would be great if we could trade Mullins and just keep one back up on the 53.

Sounds like he has a leg contusion so he wouldn't be available for a week or two. No IR and a chance to put on PS.

So, if he doesn't get picked up he could actually be back in a few weeks?

Or didnt connecting on all those wide open completions last week fool any one?

< Message edited by Ricky J -- 8/29/2024 11:06:55 AM >
Post #: 1806
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:17:21 AM   
David Levine

I find "Krauser" at DN to be one of the few level-headed posters there, and he generally has very good takes:

Krauser

I didn't think Hall was especially good this preseason.

The long catch-and-run TD to Jeshaun Jones in the Browns game was a great throw, but a lot of the production the Eagles game was on easy mode against a soft Fangio coverage shell that gave free access to the flats. He did show nice downfield accuracy to the sidelines, especially on the TD throws where Lucky Jackson couldn't get his 2nd foot down. He threw with anticipation with clearly defined reads. But he had an awful pick on an intermediate dig route -- the most basic throw in O'Connell's scheme -- as he sailed a ball over the middle, which was only wiped out by an unrelated illegal contact flag. There were also some questionable throws in the red zone under pressure, where he missed open receivers and on one occasion threw a ball up for grabs into the end zone.

He has an obvious physical limitation in terms of his height (doesn't throw over the middle on time unless he has a clear lane). He seems physically vulnerable, as he got knocked out the Eagles game by a solid but routine hit.

I don't think highly of Brett Rypien either but he has a longer track record of durability in the NFL, a reputation for being able to deliver the ball on time from the pocket, and some experience in a similar scheme with the Rams.

This move is another indication that Kwesi and Kevin are not falling in love with their picks and their projects. If they see a way to improve the roster by moving on from a guy they've drafted and developed, they will.
Post #: 1807
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:20:03 AM   
David Levine

Brett Rypien

Overview
Light on measurables, but high on intangibles, Rypien's lack of size, mobility and NFL arm talent makes it unlikely that he'll ever become a serviceable starter. What has a chance to save him is his football intelligence, accuracy and consistency. He stepped right in as a freshman and proved he could not only survive, but thrive and grow. A troubling number of interceptions were due to lack of arm strength so he needs to find a timing-based passing game in order to find a home as a back-end backup.

Strengths
Comfortable and experienced playing from under center. Smooth drop and setup and works with good rhythm. Compact release. Plays with above average football intelligence Games defenders into showing their hand before snap. Good eye manipulation to pull safeties out of position. Feels pressure develop on the edge and climbs the pocket. Consistent at keeping eyes trained downfield. Will pump and alter initial read and re-calibrate to a new target. Throws with timing and anticipation. Accurate passer on all three levels

Weaknesses
Falls below normal minimum standards for size. Hands are smallish. Too many fumbles from innocuous contact in the pocket. Small margin for error when making field side throws. Lacks arm strength to outpace ballhawks around the field. Interceptions come from leaving touch throws short. Mobility is below average and unable to threaten with feet. Helpless when trying to elude sudden rusher in his face. Gets sacked by arm tackles.

NFL Comparison: Nick Mullens

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brett-rypien/32005259-5041-5292-b37a-51e22ef129f4?icampaign=npl-ros-adv&affiliateId=96525&affiliateCustomId=3CemTxnaGtnEEsheJRfl5ToxySRI6aF17WYq0XKu6Dvy0z&clickId=4838175283
Post #: 1808
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:27:36 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Gillette presents 'You Make The Call':

- If I remember the pre-draft stuff right. Rypien was considered a grip it rip type guy. Arm strength wasn't an issue. His issues were between his ears and he needed to learn to cut down the dumb throws. Ala....Mullens.

- Rypien's lack of size, mobility and NFL arm talent makes it unlikely that he'll ever become a serviceable starter. What has a chance to save him is his football intelligence, accuracy and consistency.
Post #: 1809
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:28:35 AM   
Jeff Allen

Wasted pick in Hall as I knew it would be. Why draft an older QB in the 5th round? Just take a guard or someone with upside. Same with Kellen Mond...just a waste and it was predictable.
Post #: 1810
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:29:24 AM   
marty

Since they are similar, I would not prefer trading Mullens, and having Rypien in his spot.

I think Mullens familiarity in the system probably gives him a leg up, and can hopefully mean fewer mistakes for Mullens.

While I see this as a 6 win team, if Darnold is benched or hurt early in the year, if a bunch of different factors went right, I think Mullens could get the team to the playoffs with 10 wins.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1811
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:32:49 AM   
Bill Johanesen

There is this whole NFL subculture of journeymen players who bounce around training camps, waivers, practice squads, and even active rosters for brief periods. Not sure Hall has done enough to gain a foothold in that culture.
Post #: 1812
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:42:05 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Gillette presents 'You Make The Call':

- If I remember the pre-draft stuff right. Rypien was considered a grip it rip type guy. Arm strength wasn't an issue. His issues were between his ears and he needed to learn to cut down the dumb throws. Ala....Mullens.

- Rypien's lack of size, mobility and NFL arm talent makes it unlikely that he'll ever become a serviceable starter. What has a chance to save him is his football intelligence, accuracy and consistency.

Hey man, I got the Mullens comp right
Post #: 1813
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 11:42:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Since they are similar, I would not prefer trading Mullens, and having Rypien in his spot.

I think Mullens familiarity in the system probably gives him a leg up, and can hopefully mean fewer mistakes for Mullens.

While I see this as a 6 win team, if Darnold is benched or hurt early in the year, if a bunch of different factors went right, I think Mullens could get the team to the playoffs with 10 wins.

Marty, Ummm---WHAT?
Darnold is way better than Mullens. We would have to run the ball 70% for that to factor in more wins. Mullens is so TO prone.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1814
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 12:14:24 PM   
marty

Phil, I was comparing Mullens with Rypien, not with Darnold.

Darnold throws as many INTs as TDs, so there is that.

It is my belief that Darnold will get hurt in the 1st or 2nd game, and probably be lost for the season.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1815
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 2:51:51 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Brett Rypien

Overview
Light on measurables, but high on intangibles, Rypien's lack of size, mobility and NFL arm talent makes it unlikely that he'll ever become a serviceable starter. What has a chance to save him is his football intelligence, accuracy and consistency. He stepped right in as a freshman and proved he could not only survive, but thrive and grow. A troubling number of interceptions were due to lack of arm strength so he needs to find a timing-based passing game in order to find a home as a back-end backup.

Strengths
Comfortable and experienced playing from under center. Smooth drop and setup and works with good rhythm. Compact release. Plays with above average football intelligence Games defenders into showing their hand before snap. Good eye manipulation to pull safeties out of position. Feels pressure develop on the edge and climbs the pocket. Consistent at keeping eyes trained downfield. Will pump and alter initial read and re-calibrate to a new target. Throws with timing and anticipation. Accurate passer on all three levels

Weaknesses
Falls below normal minimum standards for size. Hands are smallish. Too many fumbles from innocuous contact in the pocket. Small margin for error when making field side throws. Lacks arm strength to outpace ballhawks around the field. Interceptions come from leaving touch throws short. Mobility is below average and unable to threaten with feet. Helpless when trying to elude sudden rusher in his face. Gets sacked by arm tackles.

NFL Comparison: Nick Mullens

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/brett-rypien/32005259-5041-5292-b37a-51e22ef129f4?icampaign=npl-ros-adv&affiliateId=96525&affiliateCustomId=3CemTxnaGtnEEsheJRfl5ToxySRI6aF17WYq0XKu6Dvy0z&clickId=4838175283

Seriously, the comparison is Nick Mullens? That's funny I live in the Chicago area so all of the Bear's games are broadcast locally. Rypien is an upgrade over Hall but I don't think it's a major improvement. But, it does show that Kwesi is trying to upgrade the team wherever he can. But, let's be honest, should he ever have to play more than two games this season, we're toast.
Post #: 1816
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 2:54:36 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

Mullens = 10 wins? What "factors" could possibly allow a QB as poor as Mullens to lead the team to 10 wins? I'm in the opposite camp, if Mullens starts, they'll be lucky if they win a single game that he is the starter. Zero faith in him.
Post #: 1817
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 2:58:32 PM  1 votes
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

It is my belief that Darnold will get hurt in the 1st or 2nd game, and probably be lost for the season.

Predicting an injury in game 1 or 2? That's odd. It's just wild guessing. BUT, if it happens, then I want you to give me some lottery numbers I can play! Why waste the ability to predict the future on football!
Post #: 1818
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 3:01:27 PM   
Jeff Jesser

But, it does show that Kwesi is trying to upgrade the team wherever he can.

It's also showing he can't draft for crap
Post #: 1819
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 3:15:32 PM   
David Levine

According to Minnesota Vikings head coach Kevin O'Connell, quarterback Jaren Hall suffered a leg injury during the third quarter of Saturday's preseason finale against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Hall clearly has trouble staying on the field.

quote:

Hall’s injury history and age caused him to fall in the draft.

Hall, 25, was a recruit in the 2016 class who served a two-year Mormon mission before arriving on campus. He missed five games in 2019 with multiple concussions, redshirted in 2020 because of a hip injury, missed two games as a junior with a rib/core injury and missed time as a senior with a right ankle injury.

And he's been knocked out of games twice already as a Viking.

He's older than Jordan Love and only 6'0. He struggles seeing plays in the middle of the field, and while he put up some nice preseason numbers, his ball placement was generally off and he got away with a number of bad throws (including an INT that was overturned by a penalty away from the play).

He's 26 years old and the Vikings clearly see him still as a major project and are terrified of him having to play at all this year:

quote:

General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said the team will try to re-sign Hall to its practice squad but was concerned about him being "one snap away, or one snap from one snap away" at this point in his development.

Hall, a fifth-round draft pick in 2023, started two games in the chaotic aftermath of Kirk Cousins' torn Achilles tendon but did not finish either game.

Coach Kevin O'Connell said "I fully believe in Jaren Hall's future" but added that Rypien represented a better "short-term" option.

"That move was really indicative of knowing what we went through last year," O'Connell said.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 8/29/2024 3:16:43 PM >
Post #: 1820
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 3:28:47 PM   
marty

Mullens = 10 wins? What "factors" could possibly allow a QB as poor as Mullens to lead the team to 10 wins? I'm in the opposite camp, if Mullens starts, they'll be lucky if they win a single game that he is the starter. Zero faith in him.

It would require a healthy Jones, JJ and, Addison and Darrisaw, along with a healthy defense, Dallas Turner being rookie of the year, and the Flores defense finishing in the top 5, and Mullens making some game winning throws.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1821
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 3:30:31 PM   
David Levine

Running back Kene Nwangwu won’t be joining the Saints after all.

The Saints claimed Nwangwu off of waivers from the Vikings on Wednesday, but head coach Dennis Allen told reporters at a Thursday press conference that Nwangwu failed his physical. He’ll be going back on the waiver wire as a result.
Post #: 1822
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 3:32:08 PM   
marty

Mark

Keenum led the Vikings to a 12-4 record, why couldn't Mullens lead the team to a 10-7 regular season record ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1823
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 3:53:23 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

So is he letting himself get hurt, or is it more of a fluke injury?
Post #: 1824
RE: General Vikes Talk - 8/29/2024 4:12:38 PM   
David Levine

The team has announced that they have signed offensive tackle Ricky Lee and running back Zavier Scott to the practice squad. In order to make room for them, the team has waived wide receiver Jeshaun Jones and running back DeWayne McBride.
Post #: 1825
Page:   <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  71 72 [73] 74 75   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode