Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: marty
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/15/2024 7:25:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Bo Nix’s 2024 stats are: 33/53, 177 passing yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs

To be fair, he only played 5 years of college, so no one should expect him to be ready for a few years…

He did play a bit better and pick up more yards in the 2nd half - including a 49 yarder that appeared to take everything he had to get there.

But his accuracy on anything over 8-10 yards was pretty atrocious. He missed a number of wide-open guys by a good 5 yards on intermediate throws. And he doesn't really step into his throws. Maybe he could gain a little bit more zip if he cleaned up his mechanics.
Post #: 2026
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/15/2024 7:27:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

More deets on the last 4th quarter drive without Jefferson, (Addison, Hockenson) and Aaron Jones.

Darnold converted a third-and-7 with an 11-yard pass to Brandon Powell, a third-and-8 with a 26-yard connection with Nailor and a third-and-2 with a 5-yard pass to Powell.

Ty Chandler added an 11-yard run during the drive that ended with a 27-yard field goal by Reichard.

Minnesota ran 14 plays to travel 62 yards and keep the ball for 6:46.

Ball game, with basically all of your backup skill players.
Post #: 2027
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/15/2024 7:30:21 PM   
Todd M

I thought it was interesting that after the Jones fumble that he didn’t get any touches until the very last touch before the field goal attempt. Yeah, had to spend a lot of times stewing on the sidelinne but KOC didn’t totally put him in the doghouse.

Jones doesn’t have a fumbling problem, but he does have a problem that Ty Chandler is a solid runner.
Post #: 2028
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/15/2024 10:10:34 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

A lot of people had us 6 to 8 wins and ootpo but we’re leaping out to the forefront right now. Can’t wait to watch GMF tomorrow.

I had us 5-7 wins which looks pretty foolish from where we're standing right now.

I will continue to tamp down my expectations for another 4-5 games. Long season.

But for now, it looks like we've made a solid all around jump from the team that was winning games last year (before Cousins' injury).

Great to see us adjust to RB Mason in the second half. Cashman, Ginkel, and Gilmore have stepped right in. Great to see Darnold shrug off the INT and convert on third downs. Our backup skill players really stepped up.

Great to see KOC outcoach Shanahan again.

Outside of having a Mahomes, the 49ers are about as balanced and physical as you can get. With or without McCaffrey (Mason is very good back-up).

We didn't crush them but we python wrapped the 49ers and squeezed the game right out of them.
Post #: 2029
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/15/2024 10:27:36 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

A lot of people had us 6 to 8 wins and ootpo but we’re leaping out to the forefront right now. Can’t wait to watch GMF tomorrow.

I had us 5-7 wins which looks pretty foolish from where we're standing right now.

I will continue to tamp down my expectations for another 4-5 games. Long season.

But for now, it looks like we've made a solid all around jump from the team that was winning games last year (before Cousins' injury).

Great to see us adjust to RB Mason in the second half. Cashman, Ginkel, and Gilmore have stepped right in. Great to see Darnold shrug off the INT and convert on third downs. Our backup skill players really stepped up.

Outside of having a Mahomes, the 49ers are about as balanced and physical as you can get. With or without McCaffrey (Mason is very good back-up).

We didn't crush them but we python wrapped the 49ers and squeezed the game right out of them.

Agreed. It seems like we made a few ridiculous blunders too. I thought they were going to add up and sink us. But we overcame it. I was impressed by that. Everyone knows that's a type of game we usually lose.
Post #: 2030
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/15/2024 11:10:17 PM   
Jeff Allen

Caleb Williams is not good. It will be interesting to see how Darnold and the Vikes play against Houston next week. Hopefully our receivers will be in there.
Post #: 2031
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 1:51:42 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

we've beaten them 8 straight times at home...haven't lost in minn since 1992....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2032
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 2:00:13 AM   
ratoppenheimer

we left some points on the field...twice we turned the ball over when knocking on the door....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2033
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 3:05:49 AM   
marty

I thought the one INT Darnold threw was going to shift the momentum, leading to a loss.

At the point of the INT, it seemed like the Vikings were just destroying them with the run game, were going to open up a solid lead, and run the clock out on the 49ers.

Jones doesn't fumble too often, he was trying to do too much. Had it just been one person hitting him, I think he might have bounced off and scored a TD there. It was 2 people hitting him, and I think one of the hit him pretty hard.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2034
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 7:01:53 AM   
Chris Olson

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

Who had the speed burst to throw a partial block for Jefferson? On thecTD

Not sure if it made a difference but it wasn’t out of the realm of possibilities Jets gets tackled at the 1.

Nailor...

Jets tackled on the 1.
Fumble.
Niners ball.
The Viking way.

Was screaming at the TV to get in.... so relieved.

omg...i'm having touchback rule flashbacks from that description...not only fumble, but fumble through the end zone and 9ers ball at the 20

that said, amazing play by Jets, Nailor and Darnold on that one!

With Nailor's speed, I hope we can get him some deep balls...

he is going to get open and we can really make people pay for double (triple?) teaming Jets!
Post #: 2035
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 7:08:27 AM   
Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

quote:

To be fair, he only played 5 years of college, so no one should expect him to be ready for a few years…

He did play a bit better and pick up more yards in the 2nd half - including a 49 yarder that appeared to take everything he had to get there.

But his accuracy on anything over 8-10 yards was pretty atrocious. He missed a number of wide-open guys by a good 5 yards on intermediate throws. And he doesn't really step into his throws. Maybe he could gain a little bit more zip if he cleaned up his mechanics.

this about made me spit out my coffee...lol

"the most pro ready QB, ready to step in day 1"

"low ceiling high floor"

"OROTY"

what else did we hear about him?

Now all we see is he is a project

Boy, Payton really pulled a fast one on us, baiting us to move up for JJ, when he had always planned to take his boy Nix
Post #: 2036
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 7:36:56 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Olson

quote:

quote:

quote:

this about made me spit out my coffee...lol

"the most pro ready QB, ready to step in day 1"

"low ceiling high floor"

"OROTY"

what else did we hear about him?

Now all we see is he is a project

Boy, Payton really pulled a fast one on us, baiting us to move up for JJ, when he had always planned to take his boy Nix

I think he saw Drew Brees in him. Only Nix played against terrible defenses in college. Brees played Ohio St Michigan etc.
Post #: 2037
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 7:51:30 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

This game is so weird. We bring in Grenard, VG and use a first round pick on an edge rusher to replace Hunter and it turns out to be Jones

Four sacks already.

Second in the league I believe. That Huchinson guy in Detroit is pretty good..

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 2038
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 7:56:25 AM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

I was on the road returning from my Navy Friend's wedding. So I missed the game...but what I saw later in highlights and analysis from the "experts" is that our defense was suffocating again. Our offense was resilient when it had to be despite not having Jones, Jefferson, Addison or Hockenson.

Darnold sure looks confident and competent. He didn't let previous INTs effect his game. I think Darnold with continue to thrive in KOCs system.

Ty Chandler stepped up.

Jalen Nailor throwing the block to get JJ into the endzone...wow He came out of nowhere.

Van Ginkel strikes again

Patrick Jones II with II more sacks.

The guys are all over the field making plays.

And we just beat the favorite of most pundits to win the NFC and go to the Superbowl. Starting to feel really good about this team.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 2039
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 8:16:51 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

53 for 177? 3.3 ypa. Yikes!
Post #: 2040
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 8:34:38 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed. It seems like we made a few ridiculous blunders too. I thought they were going to add up and sink us. But we overcame it. I was impressed by that. Everyone knows that's a type of game we usually lose.

Was thinking the same especially after the Jones fumble, but SF kept returning the favor and then some largely due to defensive pressure.

If the secondary holds up their end of the deal, then Flores can create a lot of havoc with the edge players like Jones being unblocked on his second sack, the awareness and effort needed to tip passes, etc. After the game Purdy said to Flores "Scheme is crazy" or something like that.

It was a good win over a quality opponent. Even if it was a loss, the team showed a lot of good things.
Post #: 2041
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 8:37:25 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

we've beaten them 8 straight times at home...haven't lost in minn since 1992....

More importantly … this group has beaten their group the last two times we’ve played.

All that matters.

In terms of legitimate and illegitimate wins, the 49ers showed up ready for a fight, threw a lot of punches and counter punches. Yesterday was a legit win.

For my money, that doesn’t mean we deserve to be put in the conversation with top nfc teams. Yet.

A lot more to prove, a long way to go.
Post #: 2042
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 8:42:42 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Was thinking the same especially after the Jones fumble, but SF kept returning the favor and then some largely due to defensive pressure.

If the secondary holds up their end of the deal, then Flores can create a lot of havoc with the edge players like Jones being unblocked on his second sack, the awareness and effort needed to tip passes, etc. After the game Purdy said to Flores "Scheme is crazy" or something like that.

It was a good win over a quality opponent. Even if it was a loss, the team showed a lot of good things.

Agree. our resilience was very encouraging.
Post #: 2043
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 8:53:55 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

More importantly … this group has beaten their group the last two times we’ve played.

All that matters.

In terms of legitimate and illegitimate wins, the 49ers showed up ready for a fight, threw a lot of punches and counter punches. Yesterday was a legit win.

For my money, that doesn’t mean we deserve to be put in the conversation with top nfc teams. Yet.

Yeah right now we're in the "Hey, look at this scrappy team" category.

Next week presents a great opportunity. Stroud has the rookie record for most passes w/o an interception, and has longest streak in the NFL w/o an interception. I'd like to see just one pick next week, but at the same time don't want the Vikings to be the team that lives and dies by turnovers. That is, sure the turnover margin is important but when the turnovers are not happening can the team play solid defense.

Probably too much to ask for this year but as of now the trajectory is looking up. Record aside, can we play good football... which includes avoiding some KOC head scratchers?
Post #: 2044
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 9:01:37 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Was still concerned while up 20-7. Wished it was 21-7, but even then saw a scenario where SF ties it at 21 while electing to take their momentum into overtime where they kick a 58 yard FG right down the center of the uprights.

I don't do late-game two score leads very well.
Post #: 2045
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 9:29:23 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I was of the opinion before the season that while I didn’t 100% agree with 6ish win consensus predictions, I didn’t consider it completely unfair either. It was understandable. Defense full of question marks, new QB who hasn’t proven anything yet in his career. Tough schedule.

Don’t get me wrong, a lot could still go wrong, but color me pleasantly surprised. Defense in particular. The defense is the real thing. They have an identity, crafted by Flores. He seems to be a master of both utilizing personnel and game planning for specific offenses. We are very very fortunate to have him.

Offensively, obviously Darnold is the story. To me though, he is only a 50% surprise. He could have gone either way…and still could. He’s in a perfect little bubble now for two games. But the NFL has a way of popping those over the course of a whole season. We did see one glimpse of bad Sam on the int. But to his credit he put it behind him and played very well the rest of the way.
Post #: 2046
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 9:36:51 AM   
Jeff Jesser

sure the turnover margin is important

Heard a stat that KOC is 17-0 when the TO's are either favoring us or tied. That's incredible.
Post #: 2047
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 10:05:02 AM   
Brad H

Sam Darnold is currently tied for the fourth highest QB Rating in the league right now. And he's doing it without some of his top weapons. Kirk Cousins, #25.

Just sayin!

Two-minute offense...............got down the field and scored with :00 on the clock against one of the top defenses in the league. This is what wins in the NFL! It's a skillset that JJ McCarthy is likely two years (playing time) from developing.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/16/2024 10:18:20 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 2048
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 10:07:57 AM   
Chris Olson

quote:

Was still concerned while up 20-7. Wished it was 21-7, but even then saw a scenario where SF ties it at 21 while electing to take their momentum into overtime where they kick a 58 yard FG right down the center of the uprights.

I don't do late-game two score leads very well.

#metoo

thought we'd collapse after the Jones fumble and subsequent SF TD drive

even at 23-14 I was thinking, we are still going to lose 24-23

when they got the extra play...add 1 second before the 2 min warning for THEIR mistake...I was convinced it was going to be the same ol' Vikes

but the defense is GOOD! held them to the FG

and still my Viking history brain thought SF would get the onside kick

So many things could have gone against us, but our perseverance is impressive

starting to feel good about what felt like a throw away year
Post #: 2049
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/16/2024 10:09:25 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All that matters.

Yeah right now we're in the "Hey, look at this scrappy team" category.

Next week presents a great opportunity. Stroud has the rookie record for most passes w/o an interception, and has longest streak in the NFL w/o an interception. I'd like to see just one pick next week, but at the same time don't want the Vikings to be the team that lives and dies by turnovers. That is, sure the turnover margin is important but when the turnovers are not happening can the team play solid defense.

Probably too much to ask for this year but as of now the trajectory is looking up. Record aside, can we play good football... which includes avoiding some KOC head scratchers?

Agree … want to see more than, not just turnovers but more than just scheme generated turnovers. I was not surprised by the pressure Flores dialed up … but I was by the mayhem we created on consecutive plays … some of the team tackling. There are signs of a greedy, hungry defense … not just Flores’s cunning asymmetrical approach. Last year those schemes seemed to have a very fine edge between success and failure / didn’t have the personnel to offset good offensive playcalling, especially later in the year. This version, at least to start, seems toothier and looks less gimmicky.

I don’t think we’re especially physical on defense although we were with Deebo who is their tonesetter on offense. But we did show some toughness. Its a work in progress but its a very good sign of whats possible.
Post #: 2050
Page:   <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  80 81 [82] 83 84   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode