Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: Kurt B
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  82 83 84 85 [86]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:00:28 PM   
marty

Let's not forget, this team has not lost a game since McCarthy became a Viking (5-0, including pre-season games).

McCarthy is a winner.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:05:56 PM   
marty

While I agree with several of the points you were making Dave, defenses need to respect your going deep, or it gets easier to defend you.

But I also think most deep passes are completed early in seasons, and it gets harder to complete deep passes later in the season, when defenses are gelling, and they have more film on you.

Even a team like the Rams when they had all their deep threats, didn't get a lot of deep passes late in their season. In fact, they didn't complete ANY deep passes against the Titans in the Super Bowl, and the only somewhat deep pass completed, was an underthrow where the wide receiver had to come back for it.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:09:41 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

We also need to see if we can maintain this level of defense through a whole year.

We had this exact same conversation well into last year, and then we got a bit exposed and finished the year 13th in Points and 16th in Yards - and Flores was a total non-factor in HC searches.

Same conversation but less talent....to end up 13th last year was a miracle with Flores smoke and mirrors.

To be determined.

Absolutely.

Flores did wonders last year relative to the year before. However, if you break it down farther, he did much better early than late. Which is the opposite of what you want.

This year we actually have something fair to compare this defense to ... last year.

Its just two weeks in. No need to anoint people with blessed oils and the waving of incense.

No need to fire O'Connell right this very moment out of fear that Flores will move on after the season.

Or jump on extending Darnold for starter money. We just broke free from those starter money shackles. We just wriggled through that barbed wire penitentiary fence ... for some free air.

So far so good. One step at a time.
Post #: 2128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:12:45 PM   
marty

Umm why? 2-0 and now you want a different HC? KOC does not equal Chilly.

No, I want to keep what is the main ingredient as to why we are 2-0, and that's Brian Flores.

It's not like the Vikings are scoring 30 or 40 points a game, and 7 of the points in the 1st game was a defensive score, and they almost had a score of an INT in the 2nd game.

While I have liked what I have seen in KOC's play calling so far, there were some concerns in the past, I am just happy we have Flores for another season, this season.

Super Bowl winning head coaches: Dungy, Billick, Tomlin, BFlo ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:14:19 PM  1 votes
marty

No, I want to keep what is the main ingredient as to why we are 2-0, and that's Brian Flores.

It's not like the Vikings are scoring 30 or 40 points a game, and 7 of the points in the 1st game was a defensive score, and they almost had a score off an INT in the 2nd game.

While I have liked what I have seen in KOC's play calling so far, there were some concerns in the past, I am just happy we have Flores for another season, this season.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:33:20 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

We also need to see if we can maintain this level of defense through a whole year.

We had this exact same conversation well into last year, and then we got a bit exposed and finished the year 13th in Points and 16th in Yards - and Flores was a total non-factor in HC searches.

Not to mention Tua Tagovailoa had some pretty sharp criticism of the way Flores treated players as a head coach. Short of an elite defensive season and a playoff run, I think losing Flores to a head coaching job is less inevitable than some might think.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:36:03 PM  1 votes
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

It's not like the Vikings are scoring 30 or 40 points a game, and 7 of the points in the 1st game was a defensive score, and they almost had a score off an INT in the 2nd game.

"Dungy, Billick, Tomlin"
Those guys were all previously failed head coaches right?
Ones that had former players blasting them?

We have a great team culture at the moment... winning... and you want to blow it up to go back to the Zimmer days.

You think Flores wants to have owners that are willing to throw out coaches during a winning year... that after his experience in Miami he wants owners that are that fickle...

Flores is a great DC, imo.
There is no evidence he is a great HC.

Maybe focus on keeping the train rolling... become the new Dungy/Kiffin or Cowher/LeBeau combo and win some superbowls.
Post #: 2132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:49:21 PM  1 votes
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

"Dungy, Billick, Tomlin"
Ones that had former players blasting them?

We have a great team culture at the moment... winning... and you want to blow it up to go back to the Zimmer days.

You think Flores wants to have owners that are willing to throw out coaches during a winning year... that after his experience in Miami he wants owners that are that fickle...

Flores is a great DC, imo.
There is no evidence he is a great HC.

Maybe focus on keeping the train rolling... become the new Dungy/Kiffin or Cowher/LeBeau combo and win some superbowls.

Zero evidence.

3 years as a HC, 24-25 Overall:

2019: 5-11, Missed Playoffs. Offense: 27th in Yards, 25th in Points. Defense: 30th in Yards, 32nd in Points.
2020: 10-6, Missed Playoffs. Offense: 22nd in Yards, 15th in Points. Defense: 20th in Yards, 6th in Points.
2021: 9-8, Missed Playoffs. Offense: 25th in Yards, 22nd in Points. Defense: 15th in Yards, 16th in Points.

That's not to say he won't do better if given another chance, but its not some kind of given. And definitely not basing a decision on Vikings history from decades ago.
Post #: 2133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 3:07:10 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

It's not like the Vikings are scoring 30 or 40 points a game, and 7 of the points in the 1st game was a defensive score, and they almost had a score of an INT in the 2nd game.

Way too much credit to the DC and not enough to the other 2 that brought in the talent. Simple example/exhibit 1: KOC mentioned Van Ginkel first to Flores. Talent and depth is needed to win in the league.

Would you rather have Mullens or Darnold. Would you rather have Hicks or Cashmen.....DJ Wonnum or Van Ginkel.....Mattison or Jones . None of those four examples were decided by Flores but upgraded your team.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 9/19/2024 3:09:46 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 4:21:26 PM   
marty

"Dungy, Billick, Tomlin"

They are three former Vikings' coordinators that went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach, BFlo could be next.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 4:24:24 PM   
marty

Also, there was zero evidence that Dungy, Billick and Tomlin would become great head coaches, head coaches that would win Super Bowls. BFlo at least has the Dolphins winning games at the end of the season where he was a head coach.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 4:26:01 PM   
David Levine

quote:

"Dungy, Billick, Tomlin"

They are three former Vikings' coordinators that went on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach, BFlo could be next.

Now do the list of former Vikings' coordinators to not win Super Bowls.
Post #: 2137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 4:30:24 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Also, there was zero evidence that Dungy, Billick and Tomlin would become great head coaches, head coaches that would win Super Bowls. BFlo at least has the Dolphins winning games at the end of the season where he was a head coach.

Was Billick a "great head coach"?

He was an offensive coach that inherited a great defense and special teams. He had the 15th ranked offense the year they won the SB.

He had 8 Playoff games in 9 years. 4 of them in a single season.
Post #: 2138
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 84 85 [86]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  82 83 84 85 [86]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode