Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  81 82 83 84 [85]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2024 6:17:54 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulgly

I was never a Cousins crusader, but I also never really understood the perception he doesn't lead 4th quarter comebacks? I mean that was almost the entire year of 2022 for us (yes with one very notable exception). For his career 23 4th quarter comebacks, 29 game winning drives.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

He has more 4th quarter comebacks than Aaron Rodgers. Carr, Dalton, Testaverde, and Tannehill rankings were some surprises on that list!

The problem wasn't that....he was such a slow starter in games and season is the issue. If you attack teams, make plays and execute early you don't need a 4th quarter comeback.

Darnold is more efficient from the beginning of the game/season and that is a stat that doesn't show (in 4th quarter comebacks).

There was a stat that was sent to me....Kirk has never started the season 2-0.

A lot of people start slow. Its how you end that matters.

Yes Cousins hurled gagged disgorged for drives / periods during games, allowing opponents including really bad teams to stay close. [and thus pad his comeback statline]

The whole point is playing good enough when it matters most. Cousins didn't or hasn't or ... well there was the one throw to Rudolph against NO.

Darnold? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's playing in his first non-draft-bust rodeo.

He's looked outstanding in both games. But there's no such thing as a 'Statement Game' the second week of the season. We need that kind of play weeks 14-17 and ummm beyond.

So far he looks like the anti-Cousins ... a ganga.

Keep it going Sam.
Post #: 2101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2024 7:02:33 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Should Darnold falter, there's Rypien but he looked quite content on the bench next to Darnold. That leaves Mullens. He wings the ball with great confidence all over the field and TO anyone on the field, so that's at least entertaining.
Post #: 2102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2024 7:14:20 PM   
marty

I want Darnold to play well, but deep down inside I can't picture him ever winning a Super Bowl.

I feel like there is a chance of a Super Bowl win with McCarthy.

So what is one to do ? Just savor every moment, enjoy the play of the defense, enjoy the things Darnold does well, hope he doesn't throw many INTs like the one last Sunday?

Watch the team come together, and surprisingly go on to win a Super Bowl ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2024 7:37:21 PM   
Todd M

Realize that deep down what you picture or don’t doesn’t mean shit?
Post #: 2104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/17/2024 7:44:27 PM   
Todd M

Sam and KOC are a fit

I think there will come a time this season we’re going to have to seriously consider extending Darnold.

Write in outs but season 25/26 with 2 QB’s isn’t a bad plan.
Post #: 2105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 8:06:02 AM  1 votes
marty

I realize that what I picture probably has a 40% chance of being correct, but I also realize it there is a 60% chance it doesn't, as you say, mean $hit.

I am definitely excited about the Vikings, and about the only way it could have been more exciting, is if the Vikings had convincingly beat the 49ers in SF.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 8:56:03 AM  2 votes
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I realize that what I picture probably has a 40% chance of being correct, but I also realize it there is a 60% chance it doesn't, as you say, mean $hit.

I am definitely excited about the Vikings, and about the only way it could have been more exciting, is if the Vikings had convincingly beat the 49ers in SF.

Take it to the predictions thread and keep this thread more about the Vikings and less about you.

Or a new thread, since you dominate the Predictions thread with posts like your most recent about collectively speaking things into existence.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 9/18/2024 8:59:35 AM >
Post #: 2107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 11:26:12 AM   
marty

I was responding to Todd, loved the win over the 49ers, and it could only have been better if it had been at SF.

It saddens me there aren't more people ballsy enough, or just fun enough to make more predictions.

I will try to keep this thread about the Vikings, and more about Bill

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 11:50:23 AM  2 votes
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Realize that deep down what you picture or don’t doesn’t mean shit?

Thats harsh.

Martymath has a 65% chance of being right and a 3,597.22% chance of being wrong.
Post #: 2109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 4:28:30 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Sam and KOC are a fit

I think there will come a time this season we’re going to have to seriously consider extending Darnold.

this is worth watching...o'connell designs plays that confuse the db's - they lose track of who they're supposed to cover....

qb school - darnold\49rs....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKUxhWi11A

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 5:13:03 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

Sam and KOC are a fit

this is worth watching...o'connell designs plays that confuse the db's - they lose track of who they're supposed to cover....

That’s good content.
Post #: 2111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 5:25:06 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam and KOC are a fit

That’s good content.

Agreed... JT puts out really good content.

FWIW

I don't think Kirk makes the 97 yarder to Jets... he takes a good gain with Nailor as a safer play.
I don't think Kirk makes the pass to Nailor on 3rd on the closeout drive.
I think he takes the shallow crosser and hopes.

And I think we maybe lose the game because of it.
Post #: 2112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 5:30:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam and KOC are a fit

That’s good content.

IOW it's KOC and not Darnold lol.
Post #: 2113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 7:21:18 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam and KOC are a fit

That’s good content.

IOW it's KOC and not Darnold lol.

Besides the unimaginable FA SB winning QB on the market I’ll say right.if it’s JJM from step one I’m ready for it. KOC has taken heat but he’s good and he’s here to stay.

< Message edited by Todd M -- 9/18/2024 7:23:29 PM >
Post #: 2114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 9:29:30 PM   
Jeff Jesser

KOC has taken heat but he’s good and he’s here to stay.

I actually misposted the other day on my TO claim. He is 19-0 and not 17-0 when the TO battle is at least even. Dude is a very good coach. He has had some learning curves for sure but what he's done, with these band of QB's, has been pretty impressive. I'm geeked about this entire staff.
Post #: 2115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/18/2024 10:06:54 PM   
marty

I am more impressed with Flores, and wouldn't let him become head coach of another team next off season, I would make him head coach of the Vikings, if they can't keep him as a DC.

Tony Dungy, Brian Billick, Mike Tomlin ....

Do you let BFlo go and become another guy that becomes a head coach that wins a Super Bowl, or do you keep him, and have the Vikings win a Super Bowl ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:28:50 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam and KOC are a fit

That’s good content.

FWIW

I don't think Kirk makes the 97 yarder to Jets... he takes a good gain with Nailor as a safer play.

it's my understanding that o'connell alluded to that in a presser a few days back - made that same play call last year against the 49rs, and cousins went with the shorter pattern....

Post #: 2117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 1:34:35 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

I am more impressed with Flores, and wouldn't let him become head coach of another team next off season, I would make him head coach of the Vikings, if they can't keep him as a DC.

Do you let BFlo go and become another guy that becomes a head coach that wins a Super Bowl, or do you keep him, and have the Vikings win a Super Bowl ?

hopefully, o'connell has told a couple of assistants to become flores's disciples....

Post #: 2118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 7:15:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Umm why? 2-0 and now you want a different HC? KOC does not equal Chilly.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 7:32:16 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Umm why? 2-0 and now you want a different HC? KOC does not equal Chilly.

If this Defense keeps frustrating other teams the way it has been for another few games and we keep winning the ownership just needs to go to Flores and offer him a Penny less than KOC to stay as DC. Give him a bigger title or something. do what you can to keep him because you know if you don't someone will scoop him up as HC next offseason.

The one thing Flores has going against him is the lawsuits and accusations of racism in hiring against the league etc. It may make some owners gunshy about hiring him to lead their team. But this level of domination is hard to ignore.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 2120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 10:04:19 AM   
David Levine

We also need to see if we can maintain this level of defense through a whole year.

We had this exact same conversation well into last year, and then we got a bit exposed and finished the year 13th in Points and 16th in Yards - and Flores was a total non-factor in HC searches.
Post #: 2121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/19/2024 11:08:27 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sam and KOC are a fit

That’s good content.

FWIW

Assuming those things are correct (safe assumption based on past performance) - that's exactly how the confusion over how good/great/mediocre/outstanding of a QB Cousins is. The stats show completions and yards. Fans remember him completing passes. "How could the loss be on Kirk? He played great!" Now mix in his terrible pocket presence and we can then add "He was under assault all day" to the mixture that creates confusion on his skill/value.

In week one Darnold made a nice pass from about our 25 down to inside the ten-yard-line to someone I can't remember and coverage was TIGHT. On replay you can see a shallow crossing route wide-ass-open in front of the guy Darnold hit downfield more. Kirk 90% of the time throws to the safe crossing route and hopes for YAC. Not only does this tendency by Kirk leave opportunities untapped during the game it also makes him easier to defend as a DC - allowing them to take more chances with pressure and not having to fear the deeper routes as much as they could have to if he's taking those chances more often. This 100% relates to the run game opening up for more success as well. Damn I'm so glad he's not on the team anymore.

< Message edited by David F. -- 9/19/2024 11:09:34 AM >

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 2122
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 83 84 [85]
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  81 82 83 84 [85]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode