Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/17/2014 1:01:15 AM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

Denver's defense took a major step backward this year. During the previous season their defense was ranked #2 in overall yardage and #4 in points given up. This season they were #19 in yardage and #22 in points given up. It was painfully obvious in the SB just how bad the Denver defense was compared to the Seattle D. Seattle got consistent pressure, played receivers tight, made tackles and forced turnovers. Denver's defense did almost none of that. Surprisingly, Seattle's offense was only ranked #17 in yardage (behind the Vikings at #13!), but against the porous Denver defense, they looked like one of the best offenses in the league. You can lay accolades on Seattle for success in all phases of the game, but a major factor in their offensive success was due to the fact that Denver's defense quite frankly sucked.

Their defense wasn't that bad. Their D stuck the Chargers and the Pats in the playoffs.

IMO, their offense failed them in the SB.

It's worth noting those two playoff games were at home, and Mile High stadium also helps give them a home field advantage due to the slightly thinner air at that altitude.

If their "defense wasn't that bad", then that would imply that the Denver defense essentially slacked off for most of the regular season, then played a couple of home playoff games at their real ability level, before ultimately laying an egg in the Superbowl.

By contrast, I think a more plausible scenario is that they had a weak defense all along, but stepped up enough in their home playoff games, before finally reverting to form in the Superbowl.

Their defense issues didn't get much focus because their high-scoring offense effectively masked the problem during the season.

The special teams allowed a TD. The Offense gave up a pick six and a safety. Additionally the Denver offense turned the ball over another two times deep in their own territory.

Their defense performed pretty much as expected in the Super Bowl.

Much like the 98 Vikings, their offense failed them.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2951
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/17/2014 5:21:39 AM   
John Childress

The 98 Vikings offense gave their defense a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter

Terrible comparison

The Broncos offense didn't even get a 1st down until the 2nd Q and didn't score until the end of the 3rd

The Vikings offense put up 27 points against a very good defense

The 98 defense choked

You are up 2 scores in the 4th Q you have to close that game out

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 2952
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/17/2014 9:15:54 AM   
marty

Cincy - should go DOWN with the loss of Zimmer

Houston - could take huge step UP with 1 of the top 3 QBs

SD - Should go UP, they were good in December

Arizona - I'm not sure Palmer will ever win a playoff game, and would be surprised if they won 10 games next year, that is probably their ceiling, I think they'll go backwards
Post #: 2953
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/17/2014 1:31:27 PM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

The 98 Vikings offense gave their defense a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter

Terrible comparison

The Broncos offense didn't even get a 1st down until the 2nd Q and didn't score until the end of the 3rd

The Vikings offense put up 27 points against a very good defense

The 98 defense choked

You are up 2 scores in the 4th Q you have to close that game out

Not really sure how a defense "chokes"? Does the whole defense just get nervous? We were minus Randle and had no LBs left.

Our offense choked. Denny took a knee and RC looked like a lost child with the game on the line.

In the SB the Broncos D performed pretty much as expected.

Their vaulted "greatest offense ever" scored 8 and directly gave up 9.

In both instances they were teams that had #1 offenses and middle of the pack defenses.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2954
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 12:31:09 AM   
marty

I predict NONE of these teams will win next years' Super Bowl:

NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Houston, KC, Oakland, Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis.
Post #: 2955
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 12:33:02 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Houston, KC, Oakland, Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis.

Brilliant Marty!

I predict that the sun comes up tomorrow, and the Cubs don't win the World Series this year.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2956
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 12:36:42 AM   
marty

I wasn't finished Kurt.

I just don't think teams come out of nowhere to win a SB. When was the last time a team that finished .500 or below came back the next year to win the SB ?

That leaves:

New England, Indianapolis, Denver, San Diego, Green Bay, Carolina, New Orleans, Seattle, San Francisco

I strongly believe 1 of those 9 teams will win the Super Bowl next year. I don't think the other 23 teams have a prayer. I thought about including Pittsburgh, Baltimore and NY Giants, but all 3 probably have too many holes to come back and be a serious contender.
Post #: 2957
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 12:54:36 AM   
marty

Kurt

I thought I could post the follow up post within 5 minutes, and that there wouldn't be someone else's post in between the 2. They were meant to be together, in sequence, but I did want them to be separate posts. No big deal, it just sort of messed with the continuity, but you had no idea where it was going, and sort of got in the middle of it.

As I re-read it, it's all good Kurt, you sort of reinforced the whole idea, strengthened it.

Post #: 2958
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 11:02:49 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

I guess we should pencil in one of them as the champion.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2959
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 11:03:39 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

I wasn't finished Kurt.

I just don't think teams come out of nowhere to win a SB. When was the last time a team that finished .500 or below came back the next year to win the SB ?

NYG.

Believe.
Post #: 2960
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 11:11:08 AM   
Bruce M

I predict that Jacksonville, Raiders, Cleveland and Buffalo will not be in the super bowl.

More to come in later posts.
Post #: 2961
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 11:20:55 AM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce M

I predict that Jacksonville, Raiders, Cleveland and Buffalo will not be in the super bowl.

More to come in later posts.

Yeah, someone once said that there's no reason to make picks early. You should wait as long as possible and then take Marty up on his bet.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 2962
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 2:11:05 PM   
thebigo

I predict ONE of these teams will win next years' Super Bowl:

NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Houston, KC, Oakland, Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis, Green Bay, New England, Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans, Indianapolis, San Diego, Carolina
Post #: 2963
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 2:12:36 PM   
marty

I narrowed it down to 9 teams, I'd like to see YOU do that.

Would you end up with the SAME 9 teams that I chose ?
Post #: 2964
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 3:29:46 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I'll do you even better.

I predict TWO of these teams will play each other in next years' Super Bowl:

NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Houston, KC, Oakland, Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis, Green Bay, New England, Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans, Indianapolis, San Diego, Carolina
Post #: 2965
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 3:35:51 PM   
Bruce M

Wait a minute. I wasn't finished.

I also predict Miami will not be in the super bowl.
Post #: 2966
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 4:30:28 PM   
Prescott

quote:

Most people pick the two teams to get to the Super Bowl. But you're Marty, so I can't expect you to pick just one, or two, or three or four. Plus a couple honorable mentions.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 2967
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 4:40:49 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

I'll do you even better.

I predict TWO of these teams will play each other in next years' Super Bowl:

I've figured out a system that refines even that prediction, a can't miss winner

I predict ONE of these teams :

Philadelphia, Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Arizona, St. Louis, Green Bay, San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans, Carolina

will play ONE of these teams in next years' Super Bowl:

NY Jets, Miami, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Houston, KC, Oakland, New England, Denver, San Diego, Indianapolis
Post #: 2968
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 4:46:06 PM   
drviking

Guaranteed...Stone Cold LOCK.....

seahawks will NOT play the 9ers in the superbowl next year

take it to the bank

you are welcome

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 2969
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 5:12:09 PM   
marty

Most people pick the two teams to get to the Super Bowl. But you're Marty, so I can't expect you to pick just one, or two, or three or four. Plus a couple honorable mentions.

I've gone further than just saying what 2 teams will be in the Super Bowl, I'm saying 1 of those 9 teams will WIN the Super Bowl. You can't win the SB, unless you're IN it.

The following years' SB will be much harder to narrow down, there might be a few more teams that have a chance, might be a cinderella team. I don't think this coming season we'll see a cinderella team win the SB. It's pretty much going to be one of these 9 teams:

New England, Indianapolis, Denver, San Diego, Green Bay, Carolina, New Orleans, Seattle, San Francisco
Post #: 2970
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 5:19:41 PM   
Prescott

quote:

I've gone further than just saying what 2 teams will be in the Super Bowl, I'm saying 1 of those 9 teams will WIN the Super Bowl.

Math is hard, herp derp

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 2971
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 5:19:53 PM   
Ian Joseph

Way to go on a limb there.. All eight divisional playoff participants and Green Bay.

Believe.
Post #: 2972
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 5:26:51 PM   
marty

I'd like to see someone else 'go out on a limb' and narrow down the field of who will win the SB to 9 teams.

I think it's a somewhat unusual year where it's not all that hard to narrow down the teams that will be in contention. I just don't see any of the other 23 teams as really having much of a chance.
Post #: 2973
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 5:37:56 PM   
Ian Joseph

Why go out on a limb in March? Free agency is five days old and the draft is what, 50 days away? Its foolish to make 2014 Super Bowl predictions right now, safe/easy picks or those that are bold.

Believe.
Post #: 2974
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 3/15/2014 5:39:59 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

I'd like to see someone else 'go out on a limb' and narrow down the field of who will win the SB to 9 teams.

I think it's a somewhat unusual year where it's not all that hard to narrow down the teams that will be in contention. I just don't see any of the other 23 teams as really having much of a chance.

People were saying that about Kansas City a year ago about this time. Ditto with Carolina.

Write off 3/4s of the NFL if you want to.. again, its foolish in March.

Believe.
Post #: 2975
Page:   <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  117 118 [119] 120 121   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode