Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/3/2014 11:10:18 AM   
Prescott

They lost because Rodgers was out. Nothing to do with you, obviously. Picking them when they had a third string backup was just a poor idea, and you doubled down a couple weeks to cover for it. Own your picks.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 2926
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/3/2014 11:30:01 AM   
marty

I kept picking the Packers, not because I thought it was a good idea to pick them with Rodgers out, but because I really felt like it was cursing them, so I did it until it didn't work.
Post #: 2927
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/3/2014 11:33:57 AM   
Prescott

Worst 'curse' ever. Don't pick against them when they have a real team and are a threat. Then 'curse' them when they have a horrible QB playing and it's pointless. Then immediately 'quit' cursing them when they win. On the 'fantasy curse' scale, you get an F minus.

And we called this at the time, and you even owned some of those picks. In the end, it didn't skew anything. You would have just picked a different loser anyway.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 2928
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/3/2014 12:20:19 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Maybe next time around you won't pussy out, and will actually make your OWN picks !

In all due respect, here is the final total:

DrViking 9
Brad 4
Marty 4
Prescott 3
Ricky 1

thats Grand Master pussy to you....

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 2929
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/3/2014 9:17:22 PM   
marty

< Message edited by marty -- 2/5/2014 11:01:11 PM >
Post #: 2930
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/3/2014 10:48:23 PM   
69in09

quote:

Has any SB winning HC ever taken a knee in a playoff game, a game that is tied, with 30 seconds left on the clock ?

Then why did you pick his team?

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2931
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/4/2014 10:24:46 PM   
marty

Has any SB winning HC ever taken a knee in a playoff game, a game that is tied, with 30 seconds left on the clock ?

I'm still wondering if anyone can answer that question. Maybe there HAS been one that has done that, I just can't recall any.

Why did I still pick Denver ? Years ago, I didn't think Indy would win a SB with Dungy at HC, because I thought at the time that he was too soft, and that THAT was the reason for his TB teams coming up short. I was wrong on that, and it's possible that Manning over-rode that. I thought Manning's desire to get a ring and match his brother would over-ride his current pussy HC.

But Manning seemed to have no deep ball left, and maybe his arm was worn out from all that regular season production. Maybe he catches fire next year, and wills his team to a SB victory to match his brother with rings. But I wouldn't bet on it. Why bet on a team whose HC took a knee with over 30 seconds left on the clock against the Ravens ? I'm just wondering if there is any precedence.

Surprisingly, the oddsmakers have Denver at 8-1 to win the SB next year, with Seattle at 7-1.
Post #: 2932
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/5/2014 12:21:41 AM   
bgdavis

Denver's defense took a major step backward this year. During the previous season their defense was ranked #2 in overall yardage and #4 in points given up. This season they were #19 in yardage and #22 in points given up. It was painfully obvious in the SB just how bad the Denver defense was compared to the Seattle D. Seattle got consistent pressure, played receivers tight, made tackles and forced turnovers. Denver's defense did almost none of that. Surprisingly, Seattle's offense was only ranked #17 in yardage (behind the Vikings at #13!), but against the porous Denver defense, they looked like one of the best offenses in the league. You can lay accolades on Seattle for success in all phases of the game, but a major factor in their offensive success was due to the fact that Denver's defense quite frankly sucked.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 2/5/2014 12:24:29 AM >
Post #: 2933
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/5/2014 1:02:07 PM   
Corey Nash

Gotta watch out with those offensive yardage statistics. They'll always be skewed if the defense takes the ball away a lot and gives the offense a short field.
Post #: 2934
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/5/2014 3:35:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Corey Nash

Gotta watch out with those offensive yardage statistics. They'll always be skewed if the defense takes the ball away a lot and gives the offense a short field.

Gotta watch out with those defensive yardage statistics. They'll always be skewed if the offense controls the ball a lot and keeps the defense off the field.
Post #: 2935
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/5/2014 11:10:30 PM   
69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

Denver's defense took a major step backward this year. During the previous season their defense was ranked #2 in overall yardage and #4 in points given up. This season they were #19 in yardage and #22 in points given up. It was painfully obvious in the SB just how bad the Denver defense was compared to the Seattle D. Seattle got consistent pressure, played receivers tight, made tackles and forced turnovers. Denver's defense did almost none of that. Surprisingly, Seattle's offense was only ranked #17 in yardage (behind the Vikings at #13!), but against the porous Denver defense, they looked like one of the best offenses in the league. You can lay accolades on Seattle for success in all phases of the game, but a major factor in their offensive success was due to the fact that Denver's defense quite frankly sucked.

Their defense wasn't that bad. Their D stuck the Chargers and the Pats in the playoffs.

IMO, their offense failed them in the SB.

This is my burner account.
Post #: 2936
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/7/2014 2:08:47 AM   
JT2

quote:

Denver - 2 1/2, that is my lock of the week.

Call your invisible bookie, maybe he will let you change your pick.
Post #: 2937
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/7/2014 8:25:41 AM   
marty

I get a laugh out of people who make fun of others' picks in here, but don't have the balls to make predictions themselves.

Brad thought it was quite easy, and was quickly humbled. It's apparent that some people could use that.

< Message edited by marty -- 2/7/2014 8:32:05 AM >
Post #: 2938
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/7/2014 8:33:15 AM   
drviking

No..the entire thing started with you saying how easy it was to hit teasers....or a person could make some money by picking the easiest games (locks) of the week....

The lesson is that Vegas ALWAYS win...

It had nothing to do with how good people are at predictions....did you learn that yet?

Post #: 2939
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/7/2014 4:00:38 PM   
Prescott

quote:

I get a laugh out of people who make fun of others' picks in here, but don't have the balls to make predictions themselves.

Brad thought it was quite easy, and was quickly humbled. It's apparent that some people could use that.

Humbled? I think he 'made' fake money, or at least broke even.

I think EVERYONE who make picks would have made money, other than you. You would have lost your house. And that's hilarious, as you're the one telling people to go throw their money away in vegas and how easy it is to hit super teasers. You couldn't pick your way out of a paper bag.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 2940
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/7/2014 4:11:16 PM   
joejitsu

I predict that Erin Henderson gets cut sometime very soon......
Post #: 2941
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/7/2014 6:32:56 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prescott

quote:

Humbled? I think he 'made' fake money, or at least broke even.

I think EVERYONE who make picks would have made money, other than you. You would have lost your house. And that's hilarious, as you're the one telling people to go throw their money away in vegas and how easy it is to hit super teasers. You couldn't pick your way out of a paper bag.

Damn.. Did you just say he couldn't pick his nose?

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2942
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/7/2014 8:07:39 PM   
marty

The lesson is that Vegas ALWAYS win...

Actually, I'm up quite a bit of money from betting on Super Teasers.

I think Super Teasers ARE fairly easy to hit, I just had a bad year on them this year. Thankfully, I didn't go out to Vegas to try any this past season. The key would be what weekend I chose to go and do them. I wouldn't be doing them every week. I came within 1 or 2 games on 14 team Super Teasers, quite close. I had forgotten some of the lessons I learned when doing them years ago, avoiding picking rookie QBs, and sticking with mostly home teams.

As I was putting out my Super Teasers on here, I was hoping that someone who was having a better year on picks, would have tried a few, they might well have hit one. Or actually went to Vegas and hit one. Obviously I've had better years doing picks. There were a few seasons, just a few years' back that I think would have been VERY favorable for Super Teasers (years where there is a lot of parity in the league), I just wasn't taking the time to do them those seasons, busy with many other things.
Post #: 2943
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/9/2014 10:40:59 AM   
bgdavis

quote:

ORIGINAL: 69in09

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

Their defense wasn't that bad. Their D stuck the Chargers and the Pats in the playoffs.

IMO, their offense failed them in the SB.

It's worth noting those two playoff games were at home, and Mile High stadium also helps give them a home field advantage due to the slightly thinner air at that altitude.

If their "defense wasn't that bad", then that would imply that the Denver defense essentially slacked off for most of the regular season, then played a couple of home playoff games at their real ability level, before ultimately laying an egg in the Superbowl.

By contrast, I think a more plausible scenario is that they had a weak defense all along, but stepped up enough in their home playoff games, before finally reverting to form in the Superbowl.

Their defense issues didn't get much focus because their high-scoring offense effectively masked the problem during the season.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 2/9/2014 10:42:01 AM >
Post #: 2944
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/9/2014 10:45:40 AM   
John Childress

Let's be clear - the AFC was weak this year.

Seattle, SF, and possibly even Carolina or New Orleans would have beaten anyone from the AFC.

Denver set a lot of records playing against weak teams.

Look at their games against top defenses - they were ordinary on offense.

See what records they set next year playing against the NFC West!

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 2945
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/9/2014 11:15:59 AM   
marty

By contrast, I think a more plausible scenario is that they had a weak defense all along, but stepped up enough in their home playoff games, before finally reverting to form in the Superbowl.

The Denver defense was doing a very good job of shutting down Lynch. Early in the game Russell Wilson got OUT of the pocket, something that the pocket passers Brady or Rivers didn't do. Seattle also attacked the perimeter with the speedy Harvin.

Getting out of the pocket takes away a pass rush that is good at collapsing the pocket, and forces the defensive 2ndary to cover for longer. Quick defenses that can collapse a pocket with 2ndary players playing close to WRs, can be nullified by a mobile QB, especially one that can throw deep.
Post #: 2946
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/13/2014 1:07:58 PM   
John Childress

Who are your teams that did poorly last year that you think can bounce back?

Atlanta
Pittsburgh

Who are the contenders that you feel can take a step forward this year?

Carolina
Indianapolis

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 2947
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/13/2014 2:33:30 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

Who are your teams that did poorly last year that you think can bounce back?

Atlanta
Pittsburgh

Who are the contenders that you feel can take a step forward this year?

Carolina
Indianapolis

atlanta pretty much has to bounce back...

pittsburgh is probable, they played better the 2nd half of the season

step back...

KC
philly

denver

new england?

Post #: 2948
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/13/2014 2:34:08 PM   
drviking

cincy steps back?

Post #: 2949
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 2/17/2014 12:31:41 AM   
bgdavis

NFC bounce back: Minnesota. More than just wishful thinking for the home team. They had several close, last minute losses (and a tie) last year. If they could have held up the leads in those games, they could have had a winning record and won the division. I'm optimistic about the effect the new coaching staff will have in shoring up those issues next season. Improving on their 5-15-1 record by going at least 8-8 or better seems plausible.

AFC bounce back: Tennessee. They faced a tough schedule with NFC west opponents last year, but should be able to feast on the vastly weaker NFC east opponents this year. Jacksonville and Houston will continue to be weak, leaving only Indy as their main competition in the AFC south. I could see them going 4-2 in their division, 3-1 against the NFC east, and then split their remaining AFC games to go 10-6, and making the playoffs as a wildcard.

NFC contender: Arizona could be a factor in the NFC West and the playoffs this year. Considering the level of competition in that division, it's amazing that they managed to go 10-6 last year, and 3 of those losses were by 3 points. They also finished up pretty strong, going 7-2 in their last 9 games.

AFC contender: Indianapolis could make a deeper playoff run.
Post #: 2950
Page:   <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  116 117 [118] 119 120   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode