Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  122 123 [124] 125 126   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/15/2014 9:03:02 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

Xavier Rhodes DB
Harrison Smith DB
Josh Robinson DB
Chris Cook DB

So in the last 5 years you have 4 DBs in the first 3 rounds.

2 suck
1 looks good but has areas to work on
1 looks promising but is raw

yep, really need to hit on those first 3 rounds if you are going to build a solid team.

IMO

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 3076
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/16/2014 8:15:37 AM   
John Childress

The Cook pick really hurts

If he was solid, we would be in good shape at CB

BUT

If both Smith and Rhodes work out you can't complain

Not many teams hit on 50% of their high draft picks

We just need MORE DBs picked high

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 3077
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/16/2014 12:57:26 PM   
drviking

quote:

The Cook pick really hurts

If he was solid, we would be in good shape at CB

BUT

If both Smith and Rhodes work out you can't complain

Not many teams hit on 50% of their high draft picks

We just need MORE DBs picked high

and/or buy one.

i have no problem in FAs/trade for an established pro DB. I have a problem with trading/spending big on MLB

YMMV

Post #: 3078
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/16/2014 2:48:27 PM   
John Childress

Me too

MLBs should be fast, young, and usually from the draft.

I am not spending a #1 pick or top free agent $$$ on a MLB

Post #: 3079
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/16/2014 2:53:14 PM   
drviking

quote:

Me too

MLBs should be fast, young, and usually from the draft.

I am not spending a #1 pick or top free agent $$$ on a MLB

exactly,

some are hoping for the MLB from Cinci.

the kid is good, but i cant get excited about giving him big bucks AND sending our first rounder to Cinci.

DONT LIKE

YMMV

Post #: 3080
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/16/2014 2:55:30 PM   
drviking

Ben Leber was talking about some games he would only get 10-15 snaps, because he wasnt in on nickle defense.

he said Heath Farwell would get 20 snaps, and he would have a lot less even as a 'starter'

FWIW

Post #: 3081
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/16/2014 3:12:30 PM   
John Childress

eXACTLY

Everyone is focused on the decline in importance of the RB but are missing the same with MLBs

Post #: 3082
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/17/2014 10:50:59 AM   
Ian Joseph

It's unfortunate to state this under the circumstances, but we just won the Atlanta game. Their starting LT, Sam Baker, messed up his knee last night. Done for the season.

Their line was terrible last year without him.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3083
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/17/2014 12:26:16 PM   
John Childress

Wow, that sucks

I thought this would be a bounce back year for atnaltA but I guess not.

I still hate them from 98 but I respect Ryan to Jones for sure.

The Giants look pathetic right now also

Even the Eagles are not sharp. New England manhandled them until they stopped blitzing

Post #: 3084
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 8:08:50 AM   
Troy Newell

Ok everyone, its getting closer and closer to cut down day and it's time to have a little fun with our "favorite" player. If you listen to Zimmer talk about Ponder he would almost seem to be a lock to be on the roster, but there are quite a few pundits basically saying Zimmer is full of you know what. So what do you think? Will Ponder be in a Viking uniform at St. Louis on September 7th? I will give everyone three options:

1. Yes, Ponder will be the 3rd string QB whether we like it or not
2. Yes, Ponder will be the 3rd string QB unless they can trade him
3. No, Ponder will be traded or cut.
Post #: 3085
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 9:59:37 AM   
El Duderino

Ponder will be the 3rd string QB unless they can trade him.

Going with only two QBs certainly would help keep depth at other positions, but I think the key here is to ask what happens if you need a third QB in the middle of the season. As much as we'd all rather he not be in purple any more, the bottom line is Ponder is better than any street free agent who would be available mid-season. Now, if we had drafted another QB, I could see cutting Ponder and putting the second rookie on the practice squad, leaving only two on the active roster. But without a solid fall-back plan, I don't like rolling with only two QBs.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 3086
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 10:13:22 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

Time for some off-the-wall fun: Christian Ponder will be traded to the Texans within a week.

Ponder will be traded to Cleveland, where he will be the starting quarterback. All his mistakes are correctable. Johnny football isn't mature enough and the other guy has no talent.
Post #: 3087
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 10:16:38 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Could easily loser their first five games. At that point Bridgewater will probably start and struggle at the beginning (he hasn't exactly looking great in camp or preseason game #1).

First win at Buffalo and win the next two after that. Win a couple more after that. 5 to 7 wins depending on who is mailing it in the final two weeks.

I think the schedule is just brutal and Vikings drafted too many LB and Defensive lineman and not enough DBs.

Well Johnny football looked good in game 1. Too bad he can't hit a wide open receiver in game 2. He'll will be all pro quarterback with his big hands and strong arms, as long as he doesn't need to hit any open receivers.
Post #: 3088
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 10:23:29 AM   
ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Troy Newell

Ok everyone, its getting closer and closer to cut down day and it's time to have a little fun with our "favorite" player. If you listen to Zimmer talk about Ponder he would almost seem to be a lock to be on the roster, but there are quite a few pundits basically saying Zimmer is full of you know what. So what do you think? Will Ponder be in a Viking uniform at St. Louis on September 7th? I will give everyone three options:

Having two extra guys on the practice squad make it more likely Ponder gets kept. They will not need the extra position for another player. They are already going to pay his contract for the year anyways.
It make no sense to have two inexperienced quarterbacks. You never discuss cuts and trades at pressers. Ponder is going to be here whether we like it or not so get a life guys!
Post #: 3089
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 10:55:51 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

Having two extra guys on the practice squad make it more likely Ponder gets kept. They will not need the extra position for another player. They are already going to pay his contract for the year anyways.
It make no sense to have two inexperienced quarterbacks. You never discuss cuts and trades at pressers. Ponder is going to be here whether we like it or not so get a life guys!

I don't think the extra PS space will have any bearing on a Ponder decision.

If they cut or trade Ponder its most likely to clear a space for a young player that they think would get poached off their squad.
Post #: 3090
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 11:06:06 AM   
Todd M

These new PS slots should be premium slots that pays them more but protects them better.
Post #: 3091
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 11:09:21 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

These new PS slots should be premium slots that pays them more but protects them better.

That would be an outstanding idea.
Post #: 3092
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 11:13:00 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: ruffenach

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Could easily loser their first five games. At that point Bridgewater will probably start and struggle at the beginning (he hasn't exactly looking great in camp or preseason game #1).

First win at Buffalo and win the next two after that. Win a couple more after that. 5 to 7 wins depending on who is mailing it in the final two weeks.

I think the schedule is just brutal and Vikings drafted too many LB and Defensive lineman and not enough DBs.

Well Johnny football looked good in game 1. Too bad he can't hit a wide open receiver in game 2. He'll will be all pro quarterback with his big hands and strong arms, as long as he doesn't need to hit any open receivers.

So, all pro until the game starts.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3093
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 11:20:35 AM   
Troy Newell

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

That would be an outstanding idea.

It's not realistic. PS players are still really unrestricted free agents and no way the union (nor should they) would prevent a player from becoming and active NFL player by forcing them to stay on a PS when they have the opportunity to move up in another city.
Post #: 3094
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 1:17:03 PM   
bgdavis

quote:

I think this team will have 3 QBs, however I'm not convinced that one of them will be Ponder. His QB results just haven't been very good, and it may be hard for this team to justify keeping him on the roster unless he does something to prove his value to the team. Given how little practice time Ponder has had (from preseason reports), combined with little-to-no action in the the 2 preseason games, fans can't determine how well Ponder is actually learning to run this team using Norv's offense. It's possible that they could cut him and bring in a promising young QB that some other team puts on waivers in an attempt to sneak them onto their practice squad. That new QB might not be very far behind Ponder in terms of learning & practicing Norv's offense, and they might be able to pick it up and execute it more effectively than Ponder.

I still expect to see Ponder get some playing time in the 4th preseason game, and hopefully he can show that he's able to run the offense effectively. If so, it makes keeping him a more palatable option, but it also opens up the possibility of making a trade. If he doesn't play well in the last preseason game, it will make keeping him on the roster harder to justify, but it also may kill any chances for making a trade.

< Message edited by bgdavis -- 8/21/2014 1:18:50 PM >
Post #: 3095
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 1:29:57 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

quote:

I think this team will have 3 QBs, however I'm not convinced that one of them will be Ponder. His QB results just haven't been very good, and it may be hard for this team to justify keeping him on the roster unless he does something to prove his value to the team. Given how little practice time Ponder has had (from preseason reports), combined with little-to-no action in the the 2 preseason games, fans can't determine how well Ponder is actually learning to run this team using Norv's offense. It's possible that they could cut him and bring in a promising young QB that some other team puts on waivers in an attempt to sneak them onto their practice squad. That new QB might not be very far behind Ponder in terms of learning & practicing Norv's offense, and they might be able to pick it up and execute it more effectively than Ponder.

I still expect to see Ponder get some playing time in the 4th preseason game, and hopefully he can show that he's able to run the offense effectively. If so, it makes keeping him a more palatable option, but it also opens up the possibility of making a trade. If he doesn't play well in the last preseason game, it will make keeping him on the roster harder to justify, but it also may kill any chances for making a trade.

i really have no idea what they will do with ponder.

they could keep him, i understand the reasoning, but they could just as easily (if not more likely) let him go.

IMO, he has absolutely zero trade value, or else they already would have traded him.

Post #: 3096
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/21/2014 2:43:58 PM   
bgdavis

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: bgdavis

quote:

i really have no idea what they will do with ponder.

they could keep him, i understand the reasoning, but they could just as easily (if not more likely) let him go.

IMO, he has absolutely zero trade value, or else they already would have traded him.

Injuries to starters on other teams over the course of the season could potentially increase his trade value. Desperate moves for desperate teams.
Post #: 3097
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/22/2014 10:23:53 AM   
John Childress

USA Today

NFC North
Packers 12-4 (2): Healthy Aaron Rodgers means another healthy shot at Super Bowl. Defense looks markedly improved.
*Bears 11-5 (5): If defense was slightly better in 2013, this is a playoff team — and D seems signficantly better now.
Lions 4-12: So much talent but so much to prove. Tough to find a lot of wins given lack of improvement on defense.
Vikings 3-13: If the 2008 or 2010 version of Matt Cassel shows up, this might be playoff team. That's a big if.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/06/02/2014-season-record-projections-playoffs-seahawks-colts/9767615/

Post #: 3098
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/22/2014 10:24:31 AM   
John Childress

CBS Sports

Minnesota Vikings 6.5

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24476403/here-are-the-predicted-2014-nfl-win-totals

Post #: 3099
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 8/22/2014 10:35:55 AM   
John Childress

REVISED

2014 NFL Predictions!!!

NFC North

Minnesota 8-8
Green Bay 10-6
Detroit 7-9
Chicago 9-7

NFC East

New York 5-11
Washington 7-9
Dallas 5-11
Philadelphia 10-6

NFC South

Atlanta 10-6
New Orleans 11-5
Carolina 8-8
Tampa Bay 4-12

NFC West

San Francisco 10-6
Seattle 11-5
Saint Louis 8-8
Arizona 9-7

AFC East

New England 12-4
Miami 9-7
Buffalo 6-10
New York 8-8

AFC North

Pittsburgh 9-7
Baltimore 9-7
Cincinnati 10-6
Cleveland 4-12

AFC South

Indianapolis 11-5
Houston 8-8
Jacksonville 3-13
Tennessee 5-11

AFC West

Denver 12-4
Kansas City 9-7
San Diego 10-6
Oakland 3-13

WILL DO 1 MORE MOCK SEASON BEFORE WEEK 1

Post #: 3100
Page:   <<   < prev  122 123 [124] 125 126   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  122 123 [124] 125 126   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode