Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/5/2009 12:59:59 PM   
Toby Stumbo

Crazy IMO, Flacco shows some skills but without that studly Baltimore defense he isn't shit.  Take away JA and our defense suffers making our need at QB in the Tom Brady range for any hope.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 151
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/5/2009 1:04:54 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

Crazy IMO, Flacco shows some skills but without that studly Baltimore defense he isn't shit.  Take away JA and our defense suffers making our need at QB in the Tom Brady range for any hope.

DEFENSE

2008 - 20.8 ppg, 13th
2007 - 19.4 ppg, 12th

I love Allen and the way he plays but let's not pretend the defense would be dogmeat without him.

A good QB would help us more than Allen

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 152
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/5/2009 1:17:18 PM   
Toby Stumbo

Yeah, a very good QB, not a Flacco, not this year.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 153
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/5/2009 1:22:39 PM   
djskillz

Wait, wait, wait....

I thought Colt Brennan was WAY better than "no name" Joe Flacco from Delaware?

At least that's what Brad told all of us who were big Flacco fans at draft time.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 154
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/5/2009 1:32:25 PM   
John Childress

Our defense was not greatly better than last year without Allen.

Despite the numbers, it improved a good amount with Allen.  But the impact of a top QB would be greater IMO

Post #: 155
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/5/2009 1:37:00 PM   
Toby Stumbo

I agree JC but don't think Flacco would have been that guy (for us), not this year anyway.  I'm glad we got JA when we did, so many other QB options have passed us by due to Chillturd being a moron so to expect a rookie like Flacco to get us over the top, to use your term, is laughable.

GO VIKES!
Post #: 156
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 10:12:41 AM   
Don T in CO

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

quote:

DEFENSE

2008 - 20.8 ppg, 13th
2007 - 19.4 ppg, 12th

I love Allen and the way he plays but let's not pretend the defense would be dogmeat without him.

Well, we need to take off the NFL record 7 (?) ST touchdowns that we allowed and that doesn't even include all the times that the STs left the other team in good field position or the times that the offense turned the ball over in our territory.  Seems like it was much worse in '08 than in '07.  Also, the Vikes did improve from 32nd against the pass in '07 (dogmeat without JA) to 18th against the pass in '08 and I give a lot of that credit to JA.

< Message edited by Don T in CO -- 1/6/2009 10:14:12 AM >
Post #: 157
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 1:36:40 PM   
John Childress

Good points

Also add a lot of credit to M Williams as he stabilized the secondary

Post #: 158
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 2:49:29 PM   
Don T in CO

quote:

Good points

Also add a lot of credit to M Williams as he stabilized the secondary

Agreed.  MadWill was a huge upgrade over Stairwell.
Post #: 159
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 2:52:49 PM   
John Childress

Predics

Giants over Eagles by 3
Panthers over Cardinals by 10

Ravens over Titans by 3
Steelers over Chargers by 6

Post #: 160
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 2:54:07 PM   
djskillz

Yep.  I now fully believe the scout rankings that MadWill is one of the better safeties in the game.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 161
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 3:10:26 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Predics

Giants over Eagles by 3

Ravens over Titans by 3

Not sure about the points, but I'll be surprised if you didn't nail the winners.

The biggest question mark to me is the Ravens and the Titans and which team's offense does more.
Post #: 162
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 3:21:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don T in CO

quote:

quote:

DEFENSE

2008 - 20.8 ppg, 13th
2007 - 19.4 ppg, 12th

Well, we need to take off the NFL record 7 (?) ST touchdowns that we allowed and that doesn't even include all the times that the STs left the other team in good field position or the times that the offense turned the ball over in our territory.  Seems like it was much worse in '08 than in '07.  Also, the Vikes did improve from 32nd against the pass in '07 (dogmeat without JA) to 18th against the pass in '08 and I give a lot of that credit to JA.

It's still mind boggling how inept our ST's were this year
Post #: 163
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 4:22:44 PM   
Easy E

Pitt over Philly in the Super Bowl, IMO.
Post #: 164
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 4:35:43 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Predics

Giants over Eagles by 3

Ravens over Titans by 3

Not sure about the points, but I'll be surprised if you didn't nail the winners.

The biggest question mark to me is the Ravens and the Titans and which team's offense does more.

I don't trust Collins

Post #: 165
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/6/2009 4:37:32 PM   
djskillz

Ya, I see the Titans game as ALL on Collins.  He plays well, they win.  He doesn't, they lose.

I think all 3 games but the Carolina game will be very good games though. 

The SD/Pitt game is very intriguing.  Pitt MUST protect Big Ben.

Post #: 166
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/8/2009 12:14:37 AM   
Tim Cady

Ok with the Vikes and Miami out(the 2 I missed last week)I must reassess:

Titans(who I had losing to Miami) beating the hell out of Flacco and Ravens, besides I hate Ray Lewis as much as OJ.

Super Chargers(still my SB pick) kicking the crap out of Woozy Steelers unless the Referee Gods help them out again.

Eagles over the vulnerable Giants.

Arizona over the get tired late on defense Panthers.....

Eagles over Arizona.....Chargers over Titans

Chargers(had Vikings but I have a reality issue) over Eagles(Reid does something to F this up)

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 167
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/8/2009 12:17:22 AM   
I'll skip the formalities, Giants over the Steelers in the SuperBowl.
  Post #: 168
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/8/2009 12:24:08 AM   
Tim Cady

Nice pick considering neither will be there.

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 169
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/8/2009 9:28:08 AM   
djskillz

Ya, I don't see the Gents making it.  Possible though.  I see Carolina or Philly in the NFC.  Winner of the Pitt/SD game in the AFC.

Post #: 170
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/8/2009 10:43:00 AM   
John Childress

This year is wide open

I see anyone but Arizona winning the whole thing

Don't really like SD much either though

Post #: 171
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/8/2009 10:56:27 AM   
Jim Frenette

I think all home teams win this weekend. One exception, the Eagles might upset the Giants

Fargo
Post #: 172
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/9/2009 5:28:21 PM   
John Childress

Baltimore 16, Tennessee 12. If these teams played 10 times, I guarantee each would win five. Then again, if these teams played 10 times, the equipment guys would have to suit up because about 33 guys per team would be on IR by game nine. I really like that Kerry Collins, the last time these teams met, had the gumption to take the Titans on scoring drives of 80 and 81 yards after doing nothing for 40 minutes; Tennessee won, 13-10.

I'm going with the Ravens because I think their defense will make a couple more plays than they did last time, and because of Flacco. I loved what his college coach at Delaware, K.C. Keeler, told Damon Hack in this week's Sports Illustrated: "Ice water in his veins. Nothing bothers him. To him, he was just wearing a blue uniform last year and he's wearing a purple uniform this year.''

At first glance, Flacco didn't do much to help the Ravens win in Miami the other day, but look deeper. He did play mistake-free -- no sacks, interceptions or fumbles. The Titans will have to force him into some uncharacteristic errors to win.

Carolina 26, Arizona 17. Go back to draft day. Remember the deal Panthers GM Marty Hurney made in the middle of round one? He dealt second- and fourth-round picks in the 2008 draft, and a first-rounder in 2009, for the Eagles' first-round choice (19th overall). Was right tackle Jeff Otah really worth that kind of quarterback-ish ransom? Apparently he was because the Panthers rushed for 30 touchdowns this year. Thirty! John Fox wanted an offense that was more slug-it-out than throw-it-deep. Luckily for him, the Panthers are blessed with the ability to do both, and I don't trust Arizona's running game to be as good this week as it was last week against Atlanta, when Edgerrin James swam in the Ponce de Leon pool. I think Carolina controls the clock and the game.

New York 27, Philadelphia 20. The reason the Eagles are major-league dangerous Sunday at 1 is what Brian Westbrook told me the other day: "We feel like it's our goal to right the wrongs of the whole season.''

I'm hearing things like that more and more out of these Eagles -- that they're determined to prove the ups and downs of the season are out of their system, and they may not be a great offense, but they're good enough to win any game they play, and they have the kind of veteran presence and experience that will allow them to win a big game. Look at Westbrook's game last week, for instance -- held to nothing for 53 minutes, he takes a screen pass 71 yards to the end zone to turn a nail-biting, two-point lead into a busted-open game.

But the difference here, I believe, will be Brandon Jacobs. Even if Eli Manning can't go deep two or three times in this game -- which he couldn't do in the Eagles' 20-14 win over the Giants five weeks ago -- I think Jacobs will be the kind of physical presence the Giants need to make it to the NFC title game. I am hedging my bets because of the Westbrook factor. He could win this game by himself. But I think Jacobs and ball-control will win it for New York.

Pittsburgh 19, San Diego 13. I still can't believe if the Chargers and Ravens win, a team that was 4-8 just 33 days ago would host the AFC Championship Game. That's not just a great story, it's an all-time story. But I can't predict it. Michael Bennett and Darren Sproles won't be able to dent this version of the Steel Curtain for more than 100 yards; if you wonder why I don't include LaDainian Tomlinson in the San Diego rushing attack, it's because he won't be there -- and if he is, he'll last about three runs.

On the other side of the ball, doesn't it seem like about three months since the Steelers have played a football game? Time enough to get Willie Parker closer to good health and to get Ben Roethlisberger's head cleared. But I don't see this as a big game for Roethlisberger. I think Mike Tomlin wants to play January football in the northeast, and he wants offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to try to pummel the Chargers into submission. This game is going to be won by ball-control and by Parker and Mewelde Moore.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/01/09/divisional-picks/index.html?bcnn=yes

Post #: 173
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/10/2009 2:58:04 PM   
marty

I'm sure after last weeks' 0-4, you guys and gals can't wait to see my predictions.  Maybe you want to bet the opposite of these and make some real money:

Tennessee over Baltimore
Carolina over Arizona
Philly over NY Giants
Pittsburgh over SD

< Message edited by marty -- 1/10/2009 2:59:53 PM >
Post #: 174
RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) - 1/10/2009 11:03:22 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Ya, I don't see the Gents making it.  Possible though.  I see Carolina or Philly in the NFC.  Winner of the Pitt/SD game in the AFC.

A healthy Willie Parker makes Pitt such a better team.  As much as I like MeMo, he's not an everydown guy in that offense.

Rookie RB's really stood out this season and one with a ton of potential (Mendenhall) went down early with injury.  Good RB draft.
  Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Predictions for Next Week (and maybe beyond) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode