Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Culpepper

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> RE:Culpepper Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Culpepper - 9/3/2007 11:20:48 PM   
Tim Cady

Ricky wasn't event he first Running back taken the year he came out! Edgerin James was. There were teams that liked Edge better than Ricky. So what if Philly fans thought he was the second coming. You are remembering the outrage of taking Donovan over him. Ronnie Brown was interchangeble with Cadilac and Cedric. Peterson was the next Earl and Walter rolled into one. You are right about him falling because of fear of injuries. It is all perception, my perception is that Adrian was a steal at 7 and if he would have come out the Brown year, he would have been taken 2nd.
Post #: 101
RE:Culpepper - 9/4/2007 3:43:47 AM   
John Childress

[quote="Tim Cady"]Ricky wasn't event he first Running back taken the year he came out! Edgerin James was. There were teams that liked Edge better than Ricky. So what if Philly fans thought he was the second coming. You are remembering the outrage of taking Donovan over him. Ronnie Brown was interchangeble with Cadilac and Cedric. Peterson was the next Earl and Walter rolled into one. You are right about him falling because of fear of injuries. It is all perception, my perception is that Adrian was a steal at 7 and if he would have come out the Brown year, he would have been taken 2nd. It is not all perception. Ricky Williams was rated as a much better prospect than Peterson. Look up Blesto or any of the services.
quote:

Peterson has huge potential, but is beat-up and prone to injury.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/070427&sportCat=nfl
quote:

Peterson did come up huge at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, retaining his spot as the top-rated running back and figuring a very likely top-10 pick in the NFL Draft on April 28. He was strong, broke 4.4 in the 40 and was impressive in every way. There has been talk of him going as high as third to the Cleveland Browns. Then again, he doesn’t really care where he goes. He’s ready to move to the next level and dispel the concerns over injuries that have tainted an otherwise spectacular career. There was a shoulder injury, a bad high ankle sprain, and last season he missed a considerable amount of time after suffering a broken collarbone.
http://www.seahawks.com/News/News.aspx?id=48438
quote:

Positives Peterson can be an absolute workhorse, the rare kind of back who has the ability to take an offense on his back and carry it. His talent is undeniable, with the ability to lower his shoulder and punish a defender, or to turn his feet and dash around one. Almost unparalleled vision, and runs hard all over the field, then harder near the end zone. That's a rarity among runners these days. Negatives As amazing as he is, Peterson does have some rough spots. He's missed a lot of time with shoulder and ankle issues, particularly a high ankle sprain that keeps seeming to pop up. Between that and how hard Oklahoma used him, there is concern that he may not last long in the NFL. His skills as a receiver out of the backfield are a work-in-progress at best, and his blocking ability can be pretty laughable at times
http://www.mymockdraft.com/757/PlayerDetail.aspx
quote:

Running Back BUST: Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma A player living on the hype of his unbelievable freshman campaign, his injuries have to be a serious question for whoever drafts him, especially with a top ten pick. If he is able to ward off the injury bug and put everything together that he did two years ago he will be worth it but don’t count on it. You also have to consider the fact that his replacement, Allen Patrick, racked up games of 110, 157, 167, and 173 yards. Maybe some credit should be given to Peterson’s line.
NFL_Draft_Preview_By_Position_Busts_Quinn_Peterson_and_Sleepers I just don't see him rated like Ricky was.
Post #: 102
RE:Culpepper - 9/4/2007 3:08:53 PM   
Tim Cady

Was Not! :twisted: I don't care anymore. There are so many people hyping things nowadays it is hard for me to compare hypability from year to year. The fact that Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky, really means nothing to me, I think he would have done the same for LT, RB, AP.
Post #: 103
RE:Culpepper - 9/17/2007 1:46:54 AM   
John Childress

Amazing The Raiders keep playing McCown instead of Culpepper and he keeps throwing INTs and losing! stupid
Post #: 104
RE:Culpepper - 9/17/2007 5:36:52 AM   
John Childress

I don't know what is sweeter, !. Watching Trent Green commit 5 turnovers 2. Watching McCown blow 2 games for Oakland
Post #: 105
RE:Culpepper - 9/20/2007 2:54:36 PM   
John Childress

quote:

So far, he's given McCown 22 possessions (not including two clock-killers at the end of halves) and the results have included five interceptions, a lost fumble and seven sacks. Chances are good Kiffin has put in far more time, effort and thought into his selection of a quarterback than members of the media or irate fans pining for Culpepper. Kiffin and Davis both said when Culpepper arrived there would be no rush to get him in the lineup. Davis likened him to Jim Plunkett, a quarterback who needed some time to rebuild his game. The possibility exists that the kid coach knows what he's doing.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_6939568 funny, I have used the Jim Plunkett analogy many times for Daunte in Oakland
Post #: 106
RE:Culpepper - 9/20/2007 2:57:11 PM   
John Childress

I like what Kiffin is doing. McCown is a stopgap. Build up Daunte slowly. We all know he has major holes in his game that need to be fixed. Against lesser teams he can make plays on talent alone but the underlying problem is still there. But if Kiffin can build Daunte up he may end up with a very good QB that will bring a good draft pick in a trade when Russell is ready. Similarly, that will allow him to bring Russell along slowly and build up his pro game.
Post #: 107
RE:Culpepper - 9/20/2007 6:10:10 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Unless Daunte is still looking rusty in practice I don't really understand it though. They are pissing their season right down the drain with Mcclown. Maybe Kiffin realizes that they don't have much of a chance this year anyway but Davis doesn't seem like an owner that would accept that philosophy.
Post #: 108
RE:Culpepper - 9/29/2007 6:24:40 PM   
Toby Stumbo

McCown officially out, Culpepper to start at QB for Raiders against Dolphins September 28, 2007 ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Oakland Raiders quarterback Josh McCown will miss Sunday's game against the Miami Dolphins with a broken toe on his left foot, giving Daunte Culpepper the start against his former team. McCown has not practiced all week but coach Lane Kiffin waited until Friday to officially declare that he would not be able to play Sunday. McCown broke his toe in the first quarter of last week's 26-24 victory over Cleveland. Culpepper replaced him in the second half and finished the victory. Culpepper, who was released by the Dolphins in July after one season, will get his first start since last Oct. 1 for Miami. Andrew Walter will be the backup Sunday and No. 1 overall draft pick JaMarcus Russell will be the third-stringer. Russell has been with the team for a little more than two weeks after a lengthy contract dispute. Pro Bowl defensive end Derrick Burgess , who missed last week's game with a calf injury, is listed as questionable. Offensive linemen Robert Gallery and Jeremy Newberry are probable for the game.
Post #: 109
RE:Culpepper - 10/1/2007 3:09:21 AM   
HotPepper rocks today!! 5 TD's WOW!!! Great job by number 8. I sure wish our offense could manange just TWO per game. OH well!! Culpepper may revert to ColdPepper, but TODAY he was ON FIRE. Good JOB! I always thought he ran hot and cold. TODAY he was hot. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
  Post #: 110
RE:Culpepper - 10/1/2007 3:36:15 AM   
John Childress

At least he beat Miami What clowns Trent Green?
Post #: 111
RE:Culpepper - 10/1/2007 4:57:29 PM   
Rob Viking

It was great to see Duante pointing to his knee after one of his rushing TDs. Just to show how incompetent the Dolphins management is, let's call him our savior when he is 50% healthy, now let us bring in Trent Green after his magnificent season with a QB rating of 65 and a tremendous playoff effort @Indy, to replace a healthy Duante. The amazing thing is the media bought it by claiming Duante would lead the Dolphins to a surprising season in 06' but in 07' Duante was deemed finished and a has been. I know I keep repeating myself about this every month for the past year but it is impossible to ignore, especially watching the Vikes pathetic QB play. Good for you Duante.
Post #: 112
RE:Culpepper - 10/1/2007 5:08:09 PM   
Rob Viking

Btw how about that Raider O-Line. After perhaps one of the worst offensive and O-Line performances in league history last season they have made one of the greatest turnarounds ever. Duante was sacked once yesterday and the Raiders rushed for 300 yards!
Post #: 113
RE:Culpepper - 10/1/2007 5:27:25 PM   
Lynn G.

Good for Daunte. I was one of the ones that hated losing him.
Post #: 114
RE:Culpepper - 10/1/2007 5:35:23 PM   
John Childress

I am glad that Daunte is doing well and I predicted the Raiders would be his home 2 years ago. He still has not shown 2004 passing ability yet but it is good to see him have a big win when he barely threw the ball after so many losses with 300 yards passing. Miami never even gave him a chance to compete this year. I hope they go 0-16. Even if you decide Daunte is not the man you can't then bring in Trent Green and Jake Plummer! I heard the Raiders got the O line coach from ATL so that is an improvement for sure. Daunte could be the next Jim Plunkett out there. At the very least they COULD (and I stress "could" because 75 yards passing is not beating good teams) end up with a Brees- Rivers situation with Daunte-Russell.
Post #: 115
RE:Culpepper - 10/1/2007 5:59:37 PM   
Rob Viking

The Raiders O-Line isn't huge they average around 310 Lbs but they are all 6-6 and above. These guys must be athletic because I'm sure the Falcon O-Line coach implemented the effective zone blocking scheme they had in Atlanta. The Raiders are the best team in the AFC West rigt now.
Post #: 116
RE:Culpepper - 10/2/2007 2:48:36 PM   
Karl Juhnke

What a weird box score line for Culpepper. He only threw 12 passes. Only completed 5. But 2 of them were TDs. And of course ran for 3 more. Wonder when the last time an NFL starter played the whole game and only threw 12 passes.
Post #: 117
RE:Culpepper - 11/6/2007 6:32:35 AM   
Rob Viking

Daunte is back on the bench for Oakland and Mclown goes off for 150yds 1TD & 3 INTs against a brutal pass defense. Daunte hadn't played that bad until the Titan game. I wonder where Daunte will wind up next season. Chicago, Tampa, Atlanta, Carolina, KC, Baltimore, Jacksonville? Perhaps Daunte will wallow as a backup for the rest of his career. It would be pretty amazing if his 2004 season will be the last we see Daunte as a good QB.
Post #: 118
RE:Culpepper - 11/6/2007 7:00:04 PM   
John Childress

For some reason, Daunte is not getting a fair shake anywhere Oakland must have expected him to go in there and light it up like Randall in 98 - but they forgot Moss and Carter! McCown stinks and will be benched within 4 games but they probably will go to Russell by then. The whole Daunte story shows you just how fleeting success can be. McCown has 8 INTs in 96 passes Culpepper has 4 INTs in 125 passes you make the call
Post #: 119
RE:Culpepper - 11/6/2007 10:02:04 PM   
[quote="John Childress"]For some reason, Daunte is not getting a fair shake anywhere Oakland must have expected him to go in there and light it up like Randall in 98 - but they forgot Moss and Carter! McCown stinks and will be benched within 4 games but they probably will go to Russell by then. The whole Daunte story shows you just how fleeting success can be. McCown has 8 INTs in 96 passes Culpepper has 4 INTs in 125 passes you make the call[/quote] ************************************************ He's really looked awful though. Two weeks in a row they had a chance to comeback and win games and Daunte ended both drives with interceptions. Also, he has 7 fumbles, which I think is the highest fumbles/attempts ratio in the league. They should get Russell in now so they can see first hand what he needs to work on.
  Post #: 120
RE:Culpepper - 11/6/2007 10:31:37 PM   
John Childress

Can Daunte re-invent himself like Randall did? Randall never was a big fumbler like Daunte though. Daunte always had a problem in the middle ranges and now without the deep ball that is exposed even more. He is brutal in the 21-30 yard range. Even in 2004 Daunte was terrible in that range - completing just 25% of his passes in that range. But back then he was hitting 50% of his passes over 30 yards. As for starting Russell, it depends on how good the O line is and what teams they are facing. You don't want to throw him out as a sacrificial lamb but you do want to give him reps soon.
Post #: 121
RE:Culpepper - 11/6/2007 10:35:50 PM   
[quote="John Childress"]Can Daunte re-invent himself like Randall did? Randall never was a big fumbler like Daunte though. Daunte always had a problem in the middle ranges and now without the deep ball that is exposed even more. He is brutal in the 21-30 yard range. Even in 2004 Daunte was terrible in that range - completing just 25% of his passes in that range. But back then he was hitting 50% of his passes over 30 yards. As for starting Russell, it depends on how good the O line is and what teams they are facing. You don't want to throw him out as a sacrificial lamb but you do want to give him reps soon.[/quote] *********************************************** Yeah, on all accounts. Daunte without the longball is not going to win many games. Of course, I can't imagine anybody looking good there. I am anxious to see what Russell has though. Actually, I think a team like the Rams might be a good fit for Daunte. Maybe Linehan will think Daunte could save his job for him.
  Post #: 122
RE:Culpepper - 11/6/2007 10:54:56 PM   
John Childress

Excellent point If he went to the Rams and sat on the bench for a year and really immersed himself in that offense he could make a comeback. In fact, they both kind of need each other at this point.
Post #: 123
RE:Culpepper - 11/9/2007 10:31:48 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

I'd take him back, as long as we signed Randy Moss first !
Post #: 124
RE:Culpepper - 11/9/2007 8:40:01 PM   
John Childress

quote:

The Raiders are hinting about the possibility of moving JaMarcus Russell to backup quarterback as early as this weekend.
Daunte slips to 3rd string He didn't really get much of a shot in Oakland
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> RE:Culpepper Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode