Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Culpepper

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> RE:Culpepper Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Culpepper - 11/12/2007 8:23:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

[quote="John Childress"]
quote:

The Raiders are hinting about the possibility of moving JaMarcus Russell to backup quarterback as early as this weekend.
Daunte slips to 3rd string He didn't really get much of a shot in Oakland I'm starting to think Culpepper must have a serious attitude problem. He's consistently getting passed up by much lesser talent.
Post #: 126
RE:Culpepper - 11/12/2007 8:55:33 PM   
John Childress

[quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="John Childress"]
quote:

The Raiders are hinting about the possibility of moving JaMarcus Russell to backup quarterback as early as this weekend.
Daunte slips to 3rd string He didn't really get much of a shot in Oakland I'm starting to think Culpepper must have a serious attitude problem. He's consistently getting passed up by much lesser talent. Or he must really never pick up a playbook. McCown was terrible. There is no point in playing him. Either give Daunte one more shot to recapture the magic or play the rookie. Daunte - 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 73.3 QB rating, 2 wins, 3 losses McCown - 5 TDs, 9 INTs, 59.3 QB rating, 0 wins, 4 losses
Post #: 127
RE:Culpepper - 11/15/2007 4:30:21 AM   
John Childress

The Daunte Revenge Tour continues Burn the Vikings or Go down in flames????
Post #: 128
RE:Culpepper - 11/17/2007 8:04:50 PM   
Chicken Legs

[quote="John Childress"]The Daunte Revenge Tour continues Burn the Vikings or Go down in flames????[/quote] Mildred says... Oakland - 27 MN - 24 Ouch! Back up the U-Haul truck to Coach Childress's office on Sunday eve. The D/FW Vikings bar will surely be in a tizzy. I just MAY need to drink during the game?
Post #: 129
RE:Culpepper - 11/18/2007 2:48:16 PM   
John Childress

The Raiders are terrible. There is no way the Vikings can lose this game. If they do, Brad doesn't even need to make the press conference.
Post #: 130
RE:Culpepper - 11/23/2007 10:23:08 PM   
John Childress

quote:

The Patriots put up eight touchdowns against the Bills with Tom Brady throwing for five of them. Brady now has three five-TD games to tie a single-season record and join the likes of Daunte Culpepper and Peyton Manning.
Post #: 131
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/17/2008 7:08:09 PM   
Mondaymorningqb

All I remember of Daunte is him fumbling the ball ,falling down,or running like hell to get out of the pocket

"The ball doesn’t weigh that much, so it doesn’t matter how many times a running back carries it."
John McKay
Post #: 132
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/17/2008 9:36:45 PM   
Lynn G.

Really Monday?  You don't remember the monster Culpepper to Moss tosses that had fans leaping for joy?  You don't remember the season when he missed the MVP award by a hair when Manning had two more TD's than Daunte?  You don't remember defenders bouncing off of him as they tried to bring him down?  You don't remember knowing that if we were 3rd and 4 we were as likely to see Daunte take it himself for 5 yards as any running back?

Gosh - I've got a LOT of fantastic memories of the guy.  I remember the fumbles too, but I also remember yelling at the TV - "Just take it yourself Daunte" when we were at the goalline, knowing that he could bull his way through to the endzone as well as anyone.

Great memories here.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 133
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/18/2008 3:33:59 PM   
Mondaymorningqb

I wish I could have seen THAT game!...I remember the game I saw it must have been his off day..but the passes were few and far between.
I remember saying "its probably because he has small hands"

"The ball doesn’t weigh that much, so it doesn’t matter how many times a running back carries it."
John McKay
Post #: 134
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/18/2008 4:39:06 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mondaymorningqb

.I remember the game I saw

There's your problem - you only saw ONE game!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 135
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/18/2008 8:55:54 PM   
Mondaymorningqb

quote:

There's your problem - you only saw ONE game!

I Think I have forgotten more games than I care to remember...but I do remember when Randall Cunningham was a qb and he was much better IMHO

John McKay
Post #: 136
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/22/2008 10:49:05 AM   
theman1970

We need to get a QB with the right mental makeup to play QB

BILLY VOLEK!
Post #: 137
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/22/2008 10:59:56 AM   
Mondaymorningqb

Good ....some-one to mentor Tj

John McKay
Post #: 138
RE: RE:Culpepper - 1/26/2008 8:06:24 AM   
John Childress

If Dennis Green gets the Raiders job I wonder if he will bring Daunte back?

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 139
RE: RE:Culpepper - 8/17/2008 1:27:21 PM   
Duane Sampson

Culpepper waiting for another shot

The former Viking turned down chances to sign with the Packers and Steelers, and he now will have to wait until an injury provides an opening.

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune

Last update: August 16, 2008 - 10:59 PM

During several e-mail exchanges this week, former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper explained why he turned down offers from Green Bay and Pittsburgh, and why the Vikings were one of 14 teams he contacted during free agency.

The three-time Pro Bowl player also said his knee is healthy and his career is far from over.

"Last year, there were 60 QBs that [started] in the regular season," Culpepper said. "Unless all 60 are better than me, I expect that my career in the NFL will continue."

The league has 32 starting quarterbacks and 32 primary backups. No way 64 quarterbacks are better than Culpepper. For the love of Kyle Boller and/or Troy Smith, there might not be 32 ahead of him.

But here we are, 18 days from the start of the season, and Culpepper still is unemployed.

He works out and throws daily at his home in Florida. He also serves as his own agent, causing many to use the old line that he has a fool for a client.

Culpepper rejects that notion, defending the contracts he negotiated in Miami and Oakland and claiming, "I am not convinced that I would gain anything from having [an agent] at this point in my career."

But it is Aug. 17. Instead of "hoping" for a roster spot in mid-August, Culpepper could have had one in April when the Packers offered him a one-year, $1 million deal.

"When I visited the Packers, I felt real good about the opportunity to back up Aaron [Rodgers] on a good team," Culpepper said. "I just sensed that when it was time to negotiate that there were some unresolved issues that kept them from giving me a market-value offer. I think that the Brett Favre situation was in the background while they were dealing with me."

Then why not take the Steelers' offer last Sunday?

"I just was not willing to take the vet minimum and no guaranteed roster spot," said Culpepper, referring to the $730,000 salary.

In need of an experienced backup after Charlie Batch broke his collarbone, the Steelers worked out Culpepper and Byron Leftwich last Sunday. The Steelers were set to sign both, but only Leftwich agreed to sign. Some have said Culpepper walked away because he wanted to compete with starter Ben Roethlisberger.

"FYI, I never said I wanted to start in Pittsburgh," Culpepper said.

Months ago, before the Vikings signed Gus Frerotte, Culpepper said he reached out to the Vikings.

"I was encouraged by league personnel to contact the Vikings during free agency to gauge their interest," Culpepper said. "I had a good conversation with Coach [Brad] Childress, and I have no hard feelings toward the organization."

On Oct. 30, 2005, Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee during a 38-13 loss at Carolina. Childress was hired after the season and an ugly divorce ensued until Culpepper was dealt to Miami.

"The trade discussions were initiated by the Vikings and some teams during the NFL combine," Culpepper said. "Once that was exposed, I merely pushed to be involved in the discussions since I was representing myself. I regret that there was a lack of understanding between the team and me.

"The situation had all of the ingredients for a perfect storm. I needed to get out from under a long-term deal that had no guarantees left. They needed a commitment from their quarterback to get to town and learn their new system. The fact that I was injured and it was recommended that I rehab in a warm climate only complicated the matter."

Culpepper struggled while playing just 11 games for Miami and Oakland the past two years. But he's still young enough (31). He has had nearly three years to rehab his knee. And the last time Culpepper was healthy and surrounded by talented receivers, he was the best quarterback not named Peyton Manning.

Culpepper might never get back to where he once was, but the fact he got there once not so long ago should be worth something in a league full of unproven quarterbacks. Ironically, it's now going to take an injury to jump-start Culpepper's career.

Mark Craig • mcraig@startribune.com
Post #: 140
RE: RE:Culpepper - 8/17/2008 2:53:59 PM   
David Levine

He really needs to "fire" his agent.

There is no advantage other than possibly more money in his pockets. And that's iffy since right now Daunte has NO money for this year and it's doubtful he's a better negotiator than a big-time sports agent.

He doesn't have the experience or savvy for that part of the game. I'd also be willing to bet that agents don't tell their players every single thing that goes on (or is said) in negotiations. And Daunte is a pretty sensitive guy, which makes it even a worse fit.

Agents provide a needed buffer between management and players. That way the agent can be "the bad guy" and it doesn't affect the player's relationship with the team.
Post #: 141
RE: RE:Culpepper - 10/24/2008 1:27:00 PM   
DeLain

I watched the Bears/Vikes games with a Bears Fan buddy that just moved back to town.  And he had an interesting story.  He has a college friend that is the manager for a marina in Miami.  The GM for the Dolphins was there quite often.  One day the GM said that they had to extrememly cut down their play book while Culpepper was there since he could only keep straight so much.
Post #: 142
RE: RE:Culpepper - 10/28/2008 9:49:54 AM   
Don T in CO

• Just when it appeared Daunte Culpepper had changed his ways and was willing to be a team player after being humbled in the offseason when he got very little in the way of offers, it seems the old Pepp has emerged. After securing a visit with the Chiefs over the weekend, Culpepper told Kansas City officials he wouldn’t be coming for a visit today, saying that he “has a better opportunity” with another team. He never specified which team that was.

http://min.scout.com/2/805771.html
  • Post #: 143
    RE: RE:Culpepper - 10/28/2008 10:05:26 AM   
    Jeff Jesser

Was it Bugs Bunny that coined the phrase "what a maroon"?
    Post #: 144
    RE: RE:Culpepper - 10/28/2008 10:49:55 AM   
    Duane Sampson

Lions to Work Out Culpepper Today

Tue Oct 28, 2008

Mlive reports the Detroit Lions will host veteran free agent QB Daunte Culpepper today. It's not usual for free agents to visit teams on Tuesday, the day that clubs continue to maintain their "short list" in case of injury to other players. Last week, the Lions brought in free agent QB Tim Rattay for a workout. What makes the Culpepper situation more interesting is that Culpepper was scheduled to visit the Kansas City Chiefs today, presumably to sign a contract, but he cancelled that visit, saying that he had a better offer from another club. Culpepper did not identify that team.
    Post #: 145
    RE: RE:Culpepper - 11/13/2008 4:44:24 PM   
    Don T in CO

More from DC-
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-6-103/Daunte-Culpepper--in-his-own-words.html

Daunte Culpepper, in his own words
    November 13, 2008 5:23 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert
    Thanks to the Carolina Panthers' public relations department, we got our hands on the transcript of Daunte Culpepper's conference call with local reporters. Culpepper has talked about some of these issues before, but I found this interview to be probably the most illuminating and encompassing discussion he's had about the direction of his career over the past three years.
    If you follow Culpepper now as a Lions fan or rooted for him in Minnesota, I think you'll find a lot of what he said pretty interesting. We've knocked him around a bit on this blog, so let's let him have his say now.
    Here are the extended highlights:
    (On the decision making progress of coming back and ending up in Detroit)
    Daunte Culpepper: "When I decided to retire it was a difficult time because obviously I wanted to play. I felt that I was a guy that was young enough and still had the capabilities of playing the game of football at a high level. When I decided to retire it was kind of tough, but believe it or not, I started to get a lot of phone calls. Before I said I was retiring my phone wasn't ringing too much. But once I retired, for whatever reason, I was getting the phone calls.
    I began to obviously entertain those phone calls. I had other opportunities I could play some other places. I felt that this situation was a really good one. Obviously I wanted to go into a situation where I could compete to play. I felt that this was the best situation for me at the time.
    (On any significance of coming back to Carolina after the 2005 injury)
    DC: "Me getting hurt, a lot of people look at it like it was such a bad thing. Obviously no one wants to get hurt because of the pain and the hard road to recovery, but as far as me as a person and as a player, I think I had the chance to really sit back and look at everything and look at the big picture. I took the positive out of it and said, 'Hey, I havea chance now, I' m injured and its going to be a while before I get back on the field. Ihad to straighten out some other things in my life and I think it helped me in the long run. With that being said it wasn't all negative as far as my injury.
    Like I said no one wants to get hurt. It's tough, it's painful and rehab is excruciating. I like to take positives out of every situation that I can. I think I was able to really take a step back and look at everything and look at the big picture.
    (On if having three of the four knee ligaments injury took more than a year to get back 100 percent physically)
    DC: Yes. The day before Dr. [James] Andrews did the surgery he was like, 'Hey it's probably going to be two years before you're able to get back on the field and play. I accepted that. Long story short, I was back on the field in about eight months after the surgery. I think that was kind of crazy in the sense that I was told two years, but I was feeling good and my leg recovered very well, faster than anybody thought.
    For me to get back in eight months and be playing the next season was huge, but I wasn't really myself. I really didn't understand what the doctor was saying. He really meant I wouldn't be myself for two years. With that being said, if I could go back and do it all over I probably would have took a little bit more time before I got back on the field. But hey, things happen and you have to move forward.
    (On if there was a moment he wondered if he was ever going to come back)
    DC: I am a competitor. If there is a chance that I can do something I feel I cando it. No matter if it's just a one percent chance. I have always been the type of person that I feel if I have a little, slight chance to be successful in something, I feel I can do what I have to do to be successful. When he told me two years, I said I am going to do what I can and get back on the field; hopefully it will be before that. If it would have taken two years, I still would have had the same mindset to get outand try to play football.
    (On if he or the Dolphins hurried him along too quickly from the injury)
    DC: I really put it on myself. I was feeling good, but that's different from being out there in the game and having to make a quick move, a quick step up or a quick step back. There's a difference when you do it in practice. Just the speed of the game was different for me and my knee just wasn't ready for that. I can't blame the Dolphins and I can't blame myself. I think both sides were optimistic about it and obviously I was veryoptimistic about it. Like I said, if I could do it over I probably would have waited.
    (On how much work he has had to do away from the practice field the last eight days to study and get up to speed on the Lions system)
    DC: Everyday. After we get done here I am meeting with my quarterback coach andgoing over extra things just to get that foundation there. The first couple of days, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of last week it was really kind of like a cram course. I was cramming a lot and getting a lot of information. I was kind of just trying to be a sponge and take it all in, take good notes and try to take it onto the football field.
    (On any significance on coming back to Carolina, where he was injured threeyears ago)
    DC: Obviously it's in my mind. I look at it like this, I am going there to play and do what I love to do, and that's play the game of football at a high level. Actually we came back there the next year, it was a preseason game, but it's the regular season now. I look at it just like any other game, I am trying to go out there and play the game and do what it takes for us to come out on top.
    (On what good as come from the things he has worked on both on and off thefield)
    DC: Obviously there are some personal things that I had to take care of that I don't really talk about a whole lot as far as the business side of myself and what I do. I think that is really what helped me out a lot. I started representing myself at that time and I think it has helped me.
    (On representing himself and how it is going)
    DC: I think it is going very well. I made the decision because I felt that it is what I wanted to do at that time at that point in my career. That is how I set myself up, to handle my own business all around the board.
    (On other agents contacting him)
    DC: Tons of them. I tell them thank you and I feel I have everything under control.
    (On negotiating contracts with the team showing another side of football)
    DC: It does show you a little bit of the other side of the game. For me it was good because I feel like I can handle it. I don't know if a lot of players would do it or if anybody else would do it, it's not really my concern. I am really just concerned with myself and taking care of my own personal business. That's why I moved in that direction.
    (On recommending self representation to other players)
    DC: Honestly I can't recommend that to other guys, to each his own. I'm not going to say that guys should or shouldn't. I don't promote that at all. I just talk about myself and what I feel I should do for myself.
    Post #: 146
    Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
    All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Former Vikings >> RE:Culpepper Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode