Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 9:14:20 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I am really wondering where all the angry Norwegian Americans are demanding we change our favorite team's nickname...

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 601
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 9:20:03 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Who cares more, Native Americans or white guilt Americans?

With poverty, substance abuse, schooling atrocities...is it on their list even?

You tell me that Native Americans, generally, HATE any reference to the Washington Redskins and I'll accept that.

Should have never been done but does it really matter now?

I think "white guilt" doesn't really hit the mark here. Perhaps white guilt played a role in the civil rights movement, but I think quite a bit of that was just recognizing right vs. wrong. Same here. No guilt from this white American, just disgust that parts of society insist on holding on to our racist foundation.

Did heterosexual guilt help advance the gay rights movement?

Part of the reason there doesn't appear to be a vocal outcry from Native Americans is because we killed most of them.
Including Native Alaskans, Native Americans comprise less than 1% of the American population. How many of them do you suppose give a shit about football?

Going along with popular belief in here, there are more Vikings fans in Minnesota than there are Native Americans in the entire country.
Quite possibly they need assistance from an outside guilty or humanitarian party.

The very least we could do is evolve a little.

And it most certainly does matter now. Nothing positive can result in continuing to hold onto our racist symbols, history and institutions.

I agree with every word.

It was a good post. Made me think. Pete's good at that.

You usually have to climb a mountain to be enlightened by a wise old man.

Pete sits around here and gives it away for free.
Post #: 602
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 12:43:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

You tell me that Native Americans, generally, HATE any reference to the Washington Redskins and I'll accept that.

I can only speak for people that I know and have asked. My wife is slightly less than 50% native American. A combination of Potawatomi and Blackfoot, but, a bit more Potawatomi. Her dad was born on the Potawatomi reservation and has free housing, medical services and other services if he chooses to take advantage of them by living on the reservation. These are also available to my wife , my children and even my grandkids if any of them ever wanted to take advantage of them someday. I just asked my wife right now and have asked my father in law several times over the years about being offended by the Redskins name. The answer has always been that they could care less and it doesn't bother them at all. They just consider themselves Americans and wish other people could just get over the past and move on with their lives the way they have.

That's a healthy way to view life. But - this is up to you obviously - ask her how she would feel if someone decided they would start referring to her, personally, whenever they saw here, as a redskin. Maybe it's the same answer, but for many it's not. I totally get why native Americans don't worry about this, especially if they aren't fans of the team or the NFL. Most of us have enough to worry about without making this a cause, but at the same time, if a new franchise were started we wouldn't put up with 'the blackies' or the 'wetbacks' or the 'slanteyes'. It's not on a par with world hunger, or even putting food on your kid's table, but at this point, with so many people asking the owner to change it, it's a no brainer.

Well said, and it brings up a point I have noticed in every conversation in which someone is defending the name. They always say something like "the Native Americans who have spoken up have said they are not offended by the name."

Why don't they say "the redskins who have spoken up have said ..."?

In other words - even the people who claim they don't think the name has any negative connotations won't actually refer to people as "redskins" in conversation. They know exactly how bad that would sound and the proof is in how they phrase their own opinions.

Great Post Lynn. I am more or less anti PC and part NA I am fine with Braves, Indians, Chiefs but I won't even use that word for the Washington Football Team in print. It is a racial slur and should not be a team name.
Post #: 603
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 12:45:37 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

I am really wondering where all the angry Norwegian Americans are demanding we change our favorite team's nickname...

I love it. Why aren't Irish Americans offended by Notre Dame Sports teams being the Fighting Irish. Not only do they use the ethnicity of the group but they attribute violence to them.
Post #: 604
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 1:05:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

Just finished reading that, David.

I'm one of the few people that don't care whether or not they change the name.

I'm surprised DS is fighting it so hard. Isn't there just a huge potential to sell sell sell?
Washington Red Dragons.

Don't be.

Living in DC for so many years, I've heard this argument a lot. DS cares about 2 things:

DS' wallet and DS.

He doesn't give a rats ass about the word or what it means to those that are a part of it. All he cares about is the Washington Redskin brand. If they change to the Red Dragons (or anything) he loses that brand recognition.
Post #: 605
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 1:14:27 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can only speak for people that I know and have asked. My wife is slightly less than 50% native American. A combination of Potawatomi and Blackfoot, but, a bit more Potawatomi. Her dad was born on the Potawatomi reservation and has free housing, medical services and other services if he chooses to take advantage of them by living on the reservation. These are also available to my wife , my children and even my grandkids if any of them ever wanted to take advantage of them someday. I just asked my wife right now and have asked my father in law several times over the years about being offended by the Redskins name. The answer has always been that they could care less and it doesn't bother them at all. They just consider themselves Americans and wish other people could just get over the past and move on with their lives the way they have.

That's a healthy way to view life. But - this is up to you obviously - ask her how she would feel if someone decided they would start referring to her, personally, whenever they saw here, as a redskin. Maybe it's the same answer, but for many it's not. I totally get why native Americans don't worry about this, especially if they aren't fans of the team or the NFL. Most of us have enough to worry about without making this a cause, but at the same time, if a new franchise were started we wouldn't put up with 'the blackies' or the 'wetbacks' or the 'slanteyes'. It's not on a par with world hunger, or even putting food on your kid's table, but at this point, with so many people asking the owner to change it, it's a no brainer.

Good idea Prescott. She's asleep now and I'm on my way to bed, but, I will ask her that tomorrow and let you know what she says. She wondered why I was asking about it earlier this evening and I said that it's been in the news recently again. I know that friends of hers have called her Pocahontas occasionally in a joking manner and she laughs and tells them that she is an Indian princess, which she technically is because of her bloodlines. I'm curious what she'll say about it if it were a name given to a team today, so I'll let you know. On a less serious note if we start a new franchise I'm good with Beer Guzzling Krauts. Being one, I think we could kick ass.

Same here. And those are the ones (like 'fighting irish') that get brought up, however they're slightly positive, and not quite comparable. More like "goose stepping krauts" or maybe 'gassing germans' or 'drunken irish' or 'stupid pollack'. Redskins just doesn't have any positive connotations. It's maybe not quite like calling a black person the n word, but it's pretty close to calling the vietnamese gooks, or chinese chinks. No reason for it. Guilt or no guilt.

Yet it also does not contain any negative connotations. Such as "stupid pollacks" or some of your other examples.

I'm not offended by it but I'm not a Native American either. i simply don't think it is derogotory or negative.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 606
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 1:34:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good idea Prescott. She's asleep now and I'm on my way to bed, but, I will ask her that tomorrow and let you know what she says. She wondered why I was asking about it earlier this evening and I said that it's been in the news recently again. I know that friends of hers have called her Pocahontas occasionally in a joking manner and she laughs and tells them that she is an Indian princess, which she technically is because of her bloodlines. I'm curious what she'll say about it if it were a name given to a team today, so I'll let you know. On a less serious note if we start a new franchise I'm good with Beer Guzzling Krauts. Being one, I think we could kick ass.

Same here. And those are the ones (like 'fighting irish') that get brought up, however they're slightly positive, and not quite comparable. More like "goose stepping krauts" or maybe 'gassing germans' or 'drunken irish' or 'stupid pollack'. Redskins just doesn't have any positive connotations. It's maybe not quite like calling a black person the n word, but it's pretty close to calling the vietnamese gooks, or chinese chinks. No reason for it. Guilt or no guilt.

Yet it also does not contain any negative connotations. Such as "stupid pollacks" or some of your other examples.

I'm not offended by it but I'm not a Native American either. i simply don't think it is derogotory or negative.

Bill it has been my understanding since I was a child (50 years ago) that calling Native Americans The R word is the equivalent of calling African Americans the N word. So definitely negative connotations.
Post #: 607
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 1:52:11 PM   
Lynn G.

Bill - since the word does not contain any negative connotations in your opinion, why didn't you use it instead of using "Native American" in your last line? Would you refer to someone as a redskin to their face?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 608
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:02:34 PM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure, like chink and gook don't have any negative connotations? At the base of it, they're all just words. You could say that darkie isn't 'negative', just descriptive. But in actual use, of course it has negative connotations, and it's why no one actually calls native Americans "redskins" any longer.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 609
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:15:16 PM   
Prescott

Let me say it like this.

I don't use '****' or 'coon'; 'chink' or 'gook' or 'coolie'; 'wap' or 'goombah or dago'; 'wetback' or 'beaner', etc unless I really disliked someone and wanted to get in a fight, I suppose. The reason is not because I'm afraid of offending someone, or because I have white guilt. It's because no matter my race/ehtnicity, I have a brain that tells me what words are meant as neutral or compliments, and which are not.

Vikings was never used to slur an entire race of people, and it's also why no one is petitioning to change the name of the Cleveland Indians. Using ethnicities in and of themselves, in a neutral or positive way isn't the problem. "Fighting Irish" is something Irish people are proud of. But here's the thing - if even 5% of Irish people were offended by it, you know damn well it would get changed in one second. An apples to apples comparison would be the Notre Dame fighting Taigs. And if you know any Irish, they would take high offense. And even if they didn't, you'd have to be an asshole to insist on it. Which is kind of how I feel about Daniel Snyder.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 610
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:19:25 PM   
David F.

Saint Johns changed from the 'redmen' to the 'red storm'. Their tradition seems to still be intact. The Washington Wizards used to be the Bullets. They're still intact. I don't see the downside to changing a team's name in any way.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 611
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:22:08 PM   
David F.

Eight teams that changed their names.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31799/8-other-pro-sports-teams-changed-their-nicknames

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 612
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:23:07 PM   
David F.

They could change their name to the Washington Hogs so those dudes that dress up like ladies would fit in better.

Post #: 613
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:43:34 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Saint Johns changed from the 'redmen' to the 'red storm'. Their tradition seems to still be intact. The Washington Wizards used to be the Bullets. They're still intact. I don't see the downside to changing a team's name in any way.

DS will fight it until the death. He also has a large backing of his fan base so there is no reason (financially speaking and not ethnically) for him to cave. The Redskins are a huge brand. He won't relinquish that without a fight.

I can't speak for St Johns but the Bullets sucked pretty much their entire existence. There was a bit of a backlash at first but not a real fight. Nobody really cared.

In fact, from what I remember about that, it was more about the outcry from the black community. Their point was "not all black people go around with guns so why should we have to change the name?". They were pissed that there seem to be some movement to say that all ppl of DC were in to crime so it had to be changed for the good of the community.
Post #: 614
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:44:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Eight teams that changed their names.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31799/8-other-pro-sports-teams-changed-their-nicknames

I personally think people go overboard in being PC with team names but this Washington situation is IMO beyond obvious. I thought that when I first heard the team name back in 1970. I didn't need a PC campaign to tell me that name was messed up.
Post #: 615
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:48:33 PM   
Jeff Jesser

As a side bar to a great conversation. Does anyone up there know if the correlation to the Fighting Poo changing their names came as a result of Engelstad building the stadium? I mean, was there a push to change it before that?

That's around the time I first heard it and always wondered if that scumbag was the driving force for the push.
Post #: 616
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 2:57:41 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

As a side bar to a great conversation. Does anyone up there know if the correlation to the Fighting Poo changing their names came as a result of Engelstad building the stadium? I mean, was there a push to change it before that?

That's around the time I first heard it and always wondered if that scumbag was the driving force for the push.

My understanding is that Engelstad or somebody has an endowment to the University Contingent on them NOT changing the team name from Fighting Sioux.
Post #: 617
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 3:00:31 PM   
David F.

Sioux is a girl's name.

Post #: 618
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 3:01:03 PM   
Lynn G.

Snyder is an idiot - for many reasons - but one of them is that if they change the name not only does he receive kudos from people all over the nation and restore just a bit of his tarnished reputation - but he gets to sell millions of dollars in new memorabilia.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 619
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 3:02:34 PM   
David F.

quote:

Snyder is an idiot - for many reasons - but one of them is that if they change the name not only does he receive kudos from people all over the nation and restore just a bit of his tarnished reputation - but he gets to sell millions of dollars in new memorabilia.

And vintage through existing Redskins stuff would become collector items to some degree I think.

Post #: 620
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 3:11:54 PM   
Lynn G.

True. And I'm certain that there will be a large contingent of Washington fans who would still wear Redskins gear in a kind of protest statement - and that's fine! But the franchise stands to make a ton of money by switching to a new name and selling to the masses. And they could get fans excited about the change by including them, via polls, in the process of deciding on that new name and mascot.

Post #: 621
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 4:30:07 PM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I don't think so. My basic understanding of the fighting sioux controversy is that it is and has been driven by the native american culture there. Basically when I was a kid sioux wasn't an insult, but they now view it as lumping all their tribes together and don't like it. I think it's always been there, but transitioning from Division II to Division I has probably brought more scrutiny. From what I know of it, part of Engelstad building it and putting the slogan over everything was kind of his way to try to stamp down the dissenters. Surely he brought more national attention with it, but unease about the name has been around for longer than the stadium.

Well, Engelstad is for the name, so do you mean that his being the public scumbag building the stadium make people want to change it?

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 622
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 4:32:27 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Sioux is a girl's name.

You've never heard the Johnny Cash classic "A Boy Named Sioux"?
Post #: 623
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 4:51:02 PM   
joejitsu

I am very conflicted by this issue. I love the tradition of the NFL and the Redskins were one of the founders of the league. But I understand why there are people that are offended by the name. I think the North Dakota thing was an overreaction, but the Redskin name haters have a point. Please, don't touch my Blackhawks, though.
Post #: 624
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 4:52:55 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Sioux is a girl's name.

You've never heard the Johnny Cash classic "A Boy Named Sioux"?

Yeah. He changed the name of the song at the last minute from "A Boy Named Bill". It was a brilliant move.

Post #: 625
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode