Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 4:53:33 PM   
joejitsu

David L., and other SoCal posters on the board, do you think there is enough support in the greater L.A. area for an NFL franchise?
Post #: 626
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 5:26:51 PM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

As a side bar to a great conversation. Does anyone up there know if the correlation to the Fighting Poo changing their names came as a result of Engelstad building the stadium? I mean, was there a push to change it before that?

That's around the time I first heard it and always wondered if that scumbag was the driving force for the push.

So wiki search - A bill was introduced in 1999 to ND's house of reps, died in committee. In 2000 a bunch of native american programs at ND signed a statement opposing the name and logo. Englestad built his Ralph Engelstad Arena in 2001, with the condition that the name never be changed. He also put the logo in thousand of places, in an attempt to make it too costly to ever remove the logo and change the name. IOW - they were connected, but I think in reverse. There was a push to change the name, and ol scumbag Englestad reacted by spending $100 million of his own money to try to prevent that from happening.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 627
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 5:28:30 PM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

As a side bar to a great conversation. Does anyone up there know if the correlation to the Fighting Poo changing their names came as a result of Engelstad building the stadium? I mean, was there a push to change it before that?

That's around the time I first heard it and always wondered if that scumbag was the driving force for the push.

My understanding is that Engelstad or somebody has an endowment to the University Contingent on them NOT changing the team name from Fighting Sioux.

The name is changed, they are not the Fighting Sioux, haven't been since 2012. Right now they don't have a name, because of the fiasco. They can select a new name and logo in 2015.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 628
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 7:18:33 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prescott

quote:

So wiki search - A bill was introduced in 1999 to ND's house of reps, died in committee. In 2000 a bunch of native american programs at ND signed a statement opposing the name and logo. Englestad built his Ralph Engelstad Arena in 2001, with the condition that the name never be changed. He also put the logo in thousand of places, in an attempt to make it too costly to ever remove the logo and change the name. IOW - they were connected, but I think in reverse. There was a push to change the name, and ol scumbag Englestad reacted by spending $100 million of his own money to try to prevent that from happening.

Thanks, that jives with my timeline but I was thinking about it from a non-scumbag (first time in my life!) point of view.
Post #: 629
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 9:15:50 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

My understanding is that Engelstad or somebody has an endowment to the University Contingent on them NOT changing the team name from Fighting Sioux.

The name is changed, they are not the Fighting Sioux, haven't been since 2012. Right now they don't have a name, because of the fiasco. They can select a new name and logo in 2015.

While there are no college teams currently called the Redskins, there are 62 high schools in 22 states with that name, according to Capital News Service.

One school that still uses the nickname is Red Mesa High in Arizona, located on a Navajo reservation, and where 99.3 percent of its students are Native American.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 630
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/30/2014 11:45:37 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Who cares more, Native Americans or white guilt Americans?

With poverty, substance abuse, schooling atrocities...is it on their list even?

You tell me that Native Americans, generally, HATE any reference to the Washington Redskins and I'll accept that.

Should have never been done but does it really matter now?

I can only speak for people that I know and have asked. My wife is slightly less than 50% native American. A combination of Potawatomi and Blackfoot, but, a bit more Potawatomi. Her dad was born on the Potawatomi reservation and has free housing, medical services and other services if he chooses to take advantage of them by living on the reservation. These are also available to my wife , my children and even my grandkids if any of them ever wanted to take advantage of them someday. I just asked my wife right now and have asked my father in law several times over the years about being offended by the Redskins name. The answer has always been that they could care less and it doesn't bother them at all. They just consider themselves Americans and wish other people could just get over the past and move on with their lives the way they have.

That's a healthy way to view life. But - this is up to you obviously - ask her how she would feel if someone decided they would start referring to her, personally, whenever they saw here, as a redskin. Maybe it's the same answer, but for many it's not. I totally get why native Americans don't worry about this, especially if they aren't fans of the team or the NFL. Most of us have enough to worry about without making this a cause, but at the same time, if a new franchise were started we wouldn't put up with 'the blackies' or the 'wetbacks' or the 'slanteyes'. It's not on a par with world hunger, or even putting food on your kid's table, but at this point, with so many people asking the owner to change it, it's a no brainer.

Good idea Prescott. She's asleep now and I'm on my way to bed, but, I will ask her that tomorrow and let you know what she says. She wondered why I was asking about it earlier this evening and I said that it's been in the news recently again. I know that friends of hers have called her Pocahontas occasionally in a joking manner and she laughs and tells them that she is an Indian princess, which she technically is because of her bloodlines. I'm curious what she'll say about it if it were a name given to a team today, so I'll let you know. On a less serious note if we start a new franchise I'm good with Beer Guzzling Krauts. Being one, I think we could kick ass.

Prescott, I asked my wife about someone calling her redskin continually as a way to demean her and she just laughed and said basically that she couldn't care less because her skin isn't red. When I pressed her
a little more on it she said she might say something like well my people were here first you thieving bastards. She was laughing out loud at that point. I also asked about making the Redskins change their name and she that that was asinine. It's been their name forever and people should get over it and worry about more important things than a perceived slight that they probably never even thought about until some activist group told them what they should think about it. I also asked her if there had never been a team called the Redskins and someone wanted to start a new team with that name should they be allowed to. She doesn't consider redskin to be racist but said that anyone trying to start a new team with that name would be an idiot.
Post #: 631
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 12:03:10 AM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You tell me that Native Americans, generally, HATE any reference to the Washington Redskins and I'll accept that.

I can only speak for people that I know and have asked. My wife is slightly less than 50% native American. A combination of Potawatomi and Blackfoot, but, a bit more Potawatomi. Her dad was born on the Potawatomi reservation and has free housing, medical services and other services if he chooses to take advantage of them by living on the reservation. These are also available to my wife , my children and even my grandkids if any of them ever wanted to take advantage of them someday. I just asked my wife right now and have asked my father in law several times over the years about being offended by the Redskins name. The answer has always been that they could care less and it doesn't bother them at all. They just consider themselves Americans and wish other people could just get over the past and move on with their lives the way they have.

That's a healthy way to view life. But - this is up to you obviously - ask her how she would feel if someone decided they would start referring to her, personally, whenever they saw here, as a redskin. Maybe it's the same answer, but for many it's not. I totally get why native Americans don't worry about this, especially if they aren't fans of the team or the NFL. Most of us have enough to worry about without making this a cause, but at the same time, if a new franchise were started we wouldn't put up with 'the blackies' or the 'wetbacks' or the 'slanteyes'. It's not on a par with world hunger, or even putting food on your kid's table, but at this point, with so many people asking the owner to change it, it's a no brainer.

Good idea Prescott. She's asleep now and I'm on my way to bed, but, I will ask her that tomorrow and let you know what she says. She wondered why I was asking about it earlier this evening and I said that it's been in the news recently again. I know that friends of hers have called her Pocahontas occasionally in a joking manner and she laughs and tells them that she is an Indian princess, which she technically is because of her bloodlines. I'm curious what she'll say about it if it were a name given to a team today, so I'll let you know. On a less serious note if we start a new franchise I'm good with Beer Guzzling Krauts. Being one, I think we could kick ass.

Same here. And those are the ones (like 'fighting irish') that get brought up, however they're slightly positive, and not quite comparable. More like "goose stepping krauts" or maybe 'gassing germans' or 'drunken irish' 'stupid pollack'. Redskins just doesn't have any positive connotations. It's maybe not quite like calling a black person the n word, but it's pretty close to calling the vietnamese gooks, or chinese chinks. No reason for it. Guilt or no guilt.

I'm also part Irish. We're not all drunken.
Post #: 632
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 8:22:14 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Prescott, I asked my wife about someone calling her redskin continually as a way to demean her and she just laughed and said basically that she couldn't care less because her skin isn't red. When I pressed her
a little more on it she said she might say something like well my people were here first you thieving bastards. She was laughing out loud at that point. I also asked about making the Redskins change their name and she that that was asinine. It's been their name forever and people should get over it and worry about more important things than a perceived slight that they probably never even thought about until some activist group told them what they should think about it. I also asked her if there had never been a team called the Redskins and someone wanted to start a new team with that name should they be allowed to. She doesn't consider redskin to be racist but said that anyone trying to start a new team with that name would be an idiot.

I appreciate getting the point of view of someone with Native American heritage. I would disagree with her characterization that many people probably never thought about it until some activist group told them what they should think. Hearing racial slurs like redskin and all of the others that have been listed in previous posts gives a visceral reaction to millions of people who have done even a little bit of reading or listening on the topic. It doesn't take an activist group to evolve to that level of empathy.

Again - proof is in the words of the defenders. When they refer to the people affected as "Native Americans" it shows that even those folks won't use the term "redskin" because they know EXACTLY how bad that sounds.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 633
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 8:29:36 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Same here. And those are the ones (like 'fighting irish') that get brought up, however they're slightly positive, and not quite comparable. More like "goose stepping krauts" or maybe 'gassing germans' or 'drunken irish' 'stupid pollack'. Redskins just doesn't have any positive connotations. It's maybe not quite like calling a black person the n word, but it's pretty close to calling the vietnamese gooks, or chinese chinks. No reason for it. Guilt or no guilt.

Just part of the time.
Post #: 634
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 8:44:43 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I appreciate getting the point of view of someone with Native American heritage. I would disagree with her characterization that many people probably never thought about it until some activist group told them what they should think. Hearing racial slurs like redskin and all of the others that have been listed in previous posts gives a visceral reaction to millions of people who have done even a little bit of reading or listening on the topic. It doesn't take an activist group to evolve to that level of empathy.

Again - proof is in the words of the defenders. When they refer to the people affected as "Native Americans" it shows that even those folks won't use the term "redskin" because they know EXACTLY how bad that sounds.

You can't expect the natives to know what's good for them.
Post #: 635
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 9:02:07 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Bill - since the word does not contain any negative connotations in your opinion, why didn't you use it instead of using "Native American" in your last line? Would you refer to someone as a redskin to their face?

I actually thought about it. But after reading alot of responses I may not fully grasp this name. I did not know it is similiar to the "N" word. If it is then the word itself is negative.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 636
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 9:15:56 AM   
Prescott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly. So you wouldn't personally be offended if that was a name or logo, since it doesn't apply to you.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 637
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 9:23:07 AM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Bill - since the word does not contain any negative connotations in your opinion, why didn't you use it instead of using "Native American" in your last line? Would you refer to someone as a redskin to their face?

I actually thought about it. But after reading alot of responses I may not fully grasp this name. I did not know it is similiar to the "N" word. If it is then the word itself is negative.

It's like all words, the meaning can change. It's not like 'negro' has always been super offensive. When Europeans first got here, they didn't really consider native americans to be a different color than them. It was only a few races that were really 'red' and they were the ones referred to that way, more as descriptive than insulting. But as we came to see ourselves superior to them, and entitled to take their land, stick them on reservations, and outright slaughter them, 'redskins' became a way to categorize them all as something lesser. I think of it more like the word 'chink' or 'gook'. Didn't start off as super offensive, but because of how that race was viewed and then the word describing them with the viewpoint, it's not neutral or positive at all. It's something soldiers used before going off and shooting them, 'gooks', 'chinks' and 'redskins'. Maye kike is a good comparison too.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 638
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 9:26:16 AM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

At a certain point, it does all become just words. I don't use the n word, but I hear it all the time. It's not like the word has gone away, far from it.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 639
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/31/2014 11:16:47 PM   
unome

First, let me say that I would never name a team Redskins and do not like the name one bit.

However, my Native American friend is a big Redskins fan BECAUSE of the name/mascot. The Raiders are the most popular team for Natives in the area I grew up in, but the Redskins are probably the second most popular team and I would assume it is the name and mascot they like.

Also, I have never heard Redskin used as a slur. It is nothing even vaguely like the N word, at least in my experience. When people would put down Natives, I would hear words like "drunk lazy Indian", but the word Indian was not a slur, it was obviously the adjectives preceding it that were the slams.

The driving force behind wanting the name Redskins changed is political correctness. This is fine by me as I think it is a very politically incorrect name, but lets not pretend that most Natives are all broken up about this name, because I really do not think that is accurate. Many actually like it.

< Message edited by unome -- 5/31/2014 11:17:55 PM >
Post #: 640
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 2:56:21 AM  1 votes
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

First, let me say that I would never name a team Redskins and do not like the name one bit.

However, my Native American friend is a big Redskins fan BECAUSE of the name/mascot. The Raiders are the most popular team for Natives in the area I grew up in, but the Redskins are probably the second most popular team and I would assume it is the name and mascot they like.

Also, I have never heard Redskin used as a slur. It is nothing even vaguely like the N word, at least in my experience. When people would put down Natives, I would hear words like "drunk lazy Indian", but the word Indian was not a slur, it was obviously the adjectives preceding it that were the slams.

The driving force behind wanting the name Redskins changed is political correctness. This is fine by me as I think it is a very politically incorrect name, but lets not pretend that most Natives are all broken up about this name, because I really do not think that is accurate. Many actually like it.

Beat a group of people down, over and over. Steal their land and break treaties that you authored. I'm not at all surprised that the remaining Native Americans don't give a shit about the name of a football team. Quite likely they have more important things to worry about.

How can right vs. wrong be so cloudy? How can our history be so selectively recalled?

As a nation, we have a relatively short history. Some of our history is great, and we should be proud. Some of our history is shameful.
Time to move on and if we have to error, lets error on the side of right. The side of human beings.

If only all of us could spend just one day in the shoes of our enemy.
Post #: 641
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 3:21:38 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

That was poetry.

PPE II baby
Post #: 642
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 3:22:36 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

David L., and other SoCal posters on the board, do you think there is enough support in the greater L.A. area for an NFL franchise?

It's hard to say. I mean there is certainly an interest from folks to have a local team, but I don't know how sustainable it is and depending on the team, support strength will vary.

Based on those I've talked to, both prominent and regular folk alike, an expansion, new team would do better than an existing team being transplanted. Folks here would be more apt to pledge allegiance and follow a brand new team that needs to create a fan base.

But, ultimately, as I've said over the years here, if the team isn't a perennial winner, long term, they won't be successful as a franchise. Folks here are the most fair weather folks on the face of this earth and they won't dare support a losing team, ever. If the team usng always a legitimate contender for stuff least their division, as soon as they start losing, people will stop going.

And when that happens over the course of some years, the long term financial viability of the team will come in to question. And if/when THAT happens, stand by for the swooning of other cities and the moving trucks.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 643
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 9:07:37 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

It's hard to say. I mean there is certainly an interest from folks to have a local team, but I don't know how sustainable it is and depending on the team, support strength will vary.

Based on those I've talked to, both prominent and regular folk alike, an expansion, new team would do better than an existing team being transplanted. Folks here would be more apt to pledge allegiance and follow a brand new team that needs to create a fan base.

But, ultimately, as I've said over the years here, if the team isn't a perennial winner, long term, they won't be successful as a franchise. Folks here are the most fair weather folks on the face of this earth and they won't dare support a losing team, ever. If the team usng always a legitimate contender for stuff least their division, as soon as they start losing, people will stop going.

And when that happens over the course of some years, the long term financial viability of the team will come in to question. And if/when THAT happens, stand by for the swooning of other cities and the moving trucks.

Why wast the time to begin with ....
Post #: 644
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 9:09:57 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

At a certain point, it does all become just words. I don't use the n word, but I hear it all the time. It's not like the word has gone away, far from it.

Other than in a movie (Django, etc) or hip hop on Sirus, or from blacks themselves I can't remember the last time I've heard it.
Post #: 645
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 10:18:11 AM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

quote:

Other than in a movie (Django, etc) or hip hop on Sirus, or from blacks themselves I can't remember the last time I've heard it.

Well, that's why I hear it just about every day, and crazily enough Hmong's use it all the time. And more and more, white people who are 'in' are getting away with it too. It's not going away at all, and is probably going to end up ubiquitous across all races soon.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 646
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 10:19:58 AM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Beat a group of people down, over and over. Steal their land and break treaties that you authored. I'm not at all surprised that the remaining Native Americans don't give a shit about the name of a football team. Quite likely they have more important things to worry about.

How can right vs. wrong be so cloudy? How can our history be so selectively recalled?

As a nation, we have a relatively short history. Some of our history is great, and we should be proud. Some of our history is shameful.
Time to move on and if we have to error, lets error on the side of right. The side of human beings.

I know you mean well, but this post comes across condescending to people like my friend and Hagar's wife that do not share your good sense in right and wrong to be as offended as you are.

You do excuse their foolishness because their ancestors were beaten down and had their land stolen, so I guess they have that going for them.

However, I do agree that Redskins is pretty hard to defend at any level. I asked my friend about this and he pointed out that most Americans would not even think of Natives on a regular basis if not for some sports teams names. That is probably true, although it could be accomplished without using the lame Redskins name.

When looking at history, I do not start at 1776. Humans have an amazingly ugly and brutal history on every continent. Win a war and take everything you can, burn what you cannot take, enslave or slaughter the men and rape and/or enslave the women. Every other nation or group was a potential threat or someone to be conquered. Looking at any nation's or region's history and you have to conclude that all of us have ancestors that probably did something very, very bad at one point in time.

I am proud that the US and western democracies have moved humanity from a place where brutalizing your enemy, a minority group or the disenfranchised was common place to a point where the very name Redskins on a football team is cause for alarm, concern and disdain.

We can dwell on American misdeeds or revel in the fact that in our relatively short history, the US, and their UK allies, have been the main driving force for making the world as free and fair as it is today. This is not to say that there are not still injustices in the world or missteps we have taken as a country, but make no mistake about it, for as messed up and lame as some of our history is, our country is one of the good guys of history.

Now maybe that is a low bar historically speaking, but we have helped raise the bar so that standards will be much higher now and in the future.

And I am proud to be an American!!

Sorry, got carried away there. :)
Post #: 647
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 10:35:55 AM   
Prescott

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

Exactly.

When I was a kid, I thought 'honest injun' and 'indian giver' were perfectly ok. And not because I didn't think about it. I hated the story of what 'we' did to the Indians, but I thought those terms were fitting, as the Indians were the honest ones, and we were the liars. And 'indian giver' meant that 'we' pretended to give, but took it back.

Then I spent some time around actual native Americans. And you realize it doesn't matter what my personal intent was. What mattered was their feelings, and using throw away terms like put me in the category of someone who thought of them as lesser, even if that wasn't my intent. So I stopped right quick. I didn't try to explain my intent so I could keep using them around them, debate them into submission so I could feel good about calling them 'injuns'. Now, you might find native Americans that don't care, or even 'like' redskin, that wouldn't surprise me. "****" is a term an entire people took back and made popular. But I know for a fact that a fair number of the ones I know hated it. Most because they had been subjected to 'dirty ****ing redskin' racism too many times. No one came up to them and said 'you're a proud, noble redskin, I respect you'. That wasn't reality for them. It was 'want some firewater you dirty redskin, go the **** back to your reservation' with sneers.

I also know that there are many native Americans that have been actively trying to get these names changed for decades now. They're not made up, they are fake, they're not a product of white guilt. They're small because we almost exterminated them, and they do have better things to do with their time, but the National Congress of American Indians has made their position clear. Dozens of tribes have officially asked for the name to change. As the fighting Sioux showed, if you're willing to spend money, which Snyder certainly is, you can fight and wear down and make people mostly give up. But that doesn't make it right.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 648
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 10:50:22 AM   
Todd M

The presentation of that post was a bit sloppy, Prescott.
Post #: 649
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 6/1/2014 11:06:53 AM   
Prescott

quote:

You do excuse their foolishness because their ancestors were beaten down and had their land stolen, so I guess they have that going for them

He didn't say they were foolish at all. Or implied it in anyway, or condescended to anyone. You're bringing that in on your own. I've known black people who would fight to the death if you called them a coon, and others that would shrug and walk away. That doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong, one foolish and one not. Native Americans aren't any different, different people react differently.

If I had a perfect day
Yeah
Post #: 650
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode