Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 8:14:46 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

My wife is a vegan which renders me a vegan by default. Cholesterol is -487 and my IQ rivals it.

I'm sorry.
Post #: 551
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/22/2014 8:17:19 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Why lose the spaghetti with sauce and cheese? Just butter the noodles.

Why lose the salad with a bunch of toppings? Just chew on a head of lettuce.

That is actually how I prefer lettuce. Just salt and pepper.

What makes it stick to the lettuce?

Peanut butter.

Lettuce Satay?
Post #: 552
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:27:38 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

S

LATH

ERED

Only time I use this stuff is occasionally on an omelet.
Post #: 553
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:32:50 AM   
eagleflorida

Any of you burger folks try grilling turkey burgers and if so what's your opinion? I see lots of recipes that mention ground turkey but I've yet to man up and try it.
Post #: 554
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:46:44 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: eagleflorida

Any of you burger folks try grilling turkey burgers and if so what's your opinion? I see lots of recipes that mention ground turkey but I've yet to man up and try it.

I've only known the disappointment of pre-packaged turkey burgers.
Post #: 555
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:54:45 AM   
David F.

quote:

They don't stay together very well on the grill. They do a little better in a frypan or flat top. The taste isn't nearly as good but it's one heck of a healthy alternative to ground beef. You'll probably want to go for a lot of toppings to make up for the lack of flavor.

You can mix in a bit of panko bread crumbs to help them hold together.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 556
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:58:31 AM   
Todd M

Nah...eat it naked like David or Pete would.

Or top it like a champ with my suggested toppings:

quote:

Buttered and toasted ciabatta bun - cheddar cheese, 2 slices of bacon, half an avocado, jalapeno, lightly grilled red and sweet onion, BBQ sauce (tequila/lime/habanero), mayo, chili garlic sauce.
Post #: 557
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 8:04:26 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

quote:

How so Todd?
Post #: 558
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 8:06:04 AM   
eagleflorida

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

They don't stay together very well on the grill. They do a little better in a frypan or flat top. The taste isn't nearly as good but it's one heck of a healthy alternative to ground beef. You'll probably want to go for a lot of toppings to make up for the lack of flavor.

You can mix in a bit of panko bread crumbs to help them hold together.

Yeah, I'm aware of the healthy alternative issue but wasn't sure about taste etc. Looks like I'll take a pass for now.
Post #: 559
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 8:11:58 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

How so Todd?

I've never made a homemade turkey burger. At least then you can jazz it up with some spice.

Pre packaged turkey, or ground chicken burgers blow.
Post #: 560
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 8:38:48 AM   
Jeff Jesser

When we ate meat we tried Turkey burgers but they just didn't hold up. Go Bison if you want the health benefits. Much better taste and you can cook them like any beef products (like David mentioned, Turkey doesn't hold up well on a grill).

Elk burgers are also awesome if you can find them. And before anyone asks. No, they are nothing like venison. I hate venison
Post #: 561
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 8:58:57 AM   
Todd M

Beef good.

Moose meat good.

Venison bad.

Caribou bad.

I assume Elk is bad.

Have yet to try Bison.
Post #: 562
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 9:20:11 AM   
Prescott

How did you have the venison? Elk and Bison are very good, but then again I loooooove venison.

If I had a perfect day
I would have it start this way
Open up the fridge and have a tall boy
Yeah
Post #: 563
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 9:25:52 AM   
Todd M

Once as jerkey.

Once BBQ'd.
Post #: 564
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 10:24:20 AM   
El Duderino

quote:

BTW- this will get laughed out of this board, especially with latest "talk" but, veggie burgers have come a long damn way. They use to be cardboard with grill marks. Not anymore. Thankfully

I actually love a good veggie burger (or better yet, veggie brat). The key is to not think of it as a substitute for an actual burger - it is its own separate thing, and can be quite tasty.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 565
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 10:26:45 AM   
Todd M

I must have tired one before the 'came a long way'. I couldn't get my mouth to chew. Like with sushi. Hated it.

What does one look for in a "good" veggie burger/product?
Post #: 566
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 10:27:45 AM   
DeLain

This turkey burger is quite good. I have made it a couple times. It is all about adding moisture and flavor. The link also makes a sauce for it which I recommend if you are going to make this.

http://www.food.com/recipe/oprahs-favorite-turkey-burger-from-donald-trumps-mar-a-lago-401510

Ingredients

1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
3 Granny Smith Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced
1/8 cup canola oil
4 pounds ground ground turkey breast
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp. Tabasco® chipotle pepper sauce
1 lemon , juiced and grated zest
1/2 bunch parsley , finely chopped
1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney , pureed

Directions

Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.

Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with a side of Mar-a-Lago Pear Chutney and your favorite toasted bread, pita or hamburger roll.
Post #: 567
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 10:38:12 AM   
David Levine

quote:

When we ate meat we tried Turkey burgers but they just didn't hold up. Go Bison if you want the health benefits. Much better taste and you can cook them like any beef products (like David mentioned, Turkey doesn't hold up well on a grill).

Elk burgers are also awesome if you can find them. And before anyone asks. No, they are nothing like venison. I hate venison

Bison is one of my favorite meats - and is readily available at most grocery stores here (steaks and ground). Leaner than beef, but with a great, almost sweeter, flavor. Never gamey like venison can be. Definitely don't want to overcook it because it'll dry out badly.

There is a place near me that makes an amazing bison patty. I eat it with only their aged balsamic reduction.
Post #: 568
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 10:39:12 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

This turkey burger is quite good. I have made it a couple times. It is all about adding moisture and flavor. The link also makes a sauce for it which I recommend if you are going to make this.

http://www.food.com/recipe/oprahs-favorite-turkey-burger-from-donald-trumps-mar-a-lago-401510

Ingredients

1/8 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper

Directions

Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.

Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Serve with a side of Mar-a-Lago Pear Chutney and your favorite toasted bread, pita or hamburger roll.

That looks fantastic.
Post #: 569
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 10:43:53 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

I went to the garage sale at Bud Grant's house this afternoon. The sale was supposed to start at 5:00 and by the time I turned onto his block at 4:30 the street was lined with cars and as many were leaving the neighborhood as were coming in. There is a cul de sac at the end of his block and we all were doing the same thing - driving down the street looking for a place to park and turning around in the cul de sac to drive back out. I was tempted to pull into one of his neighbor's driveways and offer them a crisp 20 dollar bill if they'd let me park in their driveway, but most of the houses looked at a glance like no one was home.

Bottom line I ended up parking a block over and walking, and I still got to his driveway before they lowered the rope to let people in (first garage sale I've ever been to with security people and a rope line).

CLASSIC Bud Grant - he came down the driveway to talk to the crowd (I'd say about 75 people had gathered by that time) and thanked us for coming, commented on the nice weather, joked that he hoped we'd spend some money so he could get rid of a bunch of stuff - and then he asked everyone to be respectful and not push when they lowered the rope. He said that he was going to blow the whistle at 5:00 to start things (smiling the whole time at the joke) and again asked us all to be respectful. I suspect he didn't want some kind of day-after-Thanksgiving stampede or something, and remember that Grant was the coach who didn't let his players spike the ball in the endzone and was adamant about standing at attention during the Star Spangled Banner - so respect is part of Grant's DNA.

And sure enough, when he blew the whistle, everyone just casually walked forward and headed to the tables.

They had split the stash - the Viking stuff was on one side and the hunting/fishing stuff on the other - so that was a good way to spread the crowd out. At first I was disappointed because there were too many people who headed directly to the clothing/hat table so I figured there was going to be no way I was going to get any Viking shirts or other good stuff - - - but they brought more things out gradually so I actually ended up with three t-shirts in the end (one for my brother, the Viking fan stuck in Chicago Bearland). Grant stuck around to sign anything that anyone wanted but that line got so long I bowed out, but at one point I was standing right next to him (I wasn't in line - just looking at some things at a table) and he turned to me and thanked me for coming.

The consumate gentleman and such a cool guy. He's moving pretty slow these days and now that his wife has been gone a few years I got the impression he was going to sell the house where they raised their family for the past 50 years or so. I have enjoyed having him as a fellow resident of Bloomington all of these years, and I loved the fact that his kids attended the same public school that my brothers and I attended. Grant was a regular in our stands at basketball and football games and it was always cool that he was there cheering for MY school (mostly for his sons playing of course).

So that's my story!

Bush Lake Rd is my shortcut home to avoid 169, and every time Bud has a garage sale the shortcut turns into a nightmare. Buyers, fans, gawkers and freaks line the narrow passage way.

I'm probably one of the freaks.

I had you penciled in as fan/gawker.

Probably a bit of that too, although I've seen Bud Grant up close hundreds of times. I ended up being a buyer that day too.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 570
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 11:20:58 AM   
bohumm

I've loved burgers many ways, but don't eat them often enough to order them any way but plain cheeseburger with only ketchup on the side. Houston's makes a great one served with skinny fries.
Post #: 571
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:19:23 PM   
eagleflorida

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

I'm 43. My cholesterol is 94.

61 with a 94 IQ.

Sorry Steve...that 94 IQ has now put you beyond the maximum allowed for approval of an application for NRA membership.
Post #: 572
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:35:45 PM   
eagleflorida

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

Ingredients

1/8 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper

Directions

That looks fantastic.

Holy moley Delain....what an intriguing recipe to consider. Looks like a whole lot of preparation but when you disect it not so bad. I'm gonna give it as try soon. Not familiar with that chutney you mention but my favorite seafood restaurant in FL has a great mango chutney on broiled mahi-mahi that I order often so I'm amenable to trying it if I can find it. Looks like this recipe might solve the previously mentioned problems with crumbling grilled turkey burgers.

Great discussion for those of us who love to grill and eat various things.
Post #: 573
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 7:49:23 PM   
eagleflorida

quote:

Beef good.

Moose meat good.

Venison bad.

Caribou bad.

I assume Elk is bad.

Have yet to try Bison.

Concur with you Todd on the beef and moose but IMO elk and caribou that I've tried were very good. Venison (deer) to me is good only when I kill and butcher my own. The local yokel venison processors here in northern MN in my experience do a horrible job processing venison. Butcher your own and care for it appropriately and it can be very satisfactory. Same probably goes for elk. The only ones I've had were ones I killed in CO and had to have processed locally for transport back to MN and they were excellent IMO. Have never seen elk for sale in meat markets so not sure how they compare. Bison is fine but a bit pricey.
Post #: 574
RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread - 5/23/2014 8:17:50 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

quote:

BTW- this will get laughed out of this board, especially with latest "talk" but, veggie burgers have come a long damn way. They use to be cardboard with grill marks. Not anymore. Thankfully

I actually love a good veggie burger (or better yet, veggie brat). The key is to not think of it as a substitute for an actual burger - it is its own separate thing, and can be quite tasty.

Veggie brat? Didn't know that existed. What made you want to try a vegetable sausage?
Post #: 575
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes Water Cooler Thread Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode