Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/20/2016 3:54:25 PM   
marty

Kurt, I didn't know MySpace still exists.
Post #: 1501
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/26/2016 9:06:14 AM   
Todd M

I've started reducing me diabetes medication. Against my dr's advice and my wife's request.

I'm out here on an island. I can't even find people in a type 2 diabetes forum that will go along with my thoughts...and they are, that, either my diabetes is in remission already, or reversed, or there's another angle to being obese and shooting high blood glucose #'s that is too easily wrapped up in a tidy bow and called diabetes.

I hit the 80 pound loss mark today.

And I think that's done the trick.

I was first tested with a fasting blood glucose of over 10. Daily testing at first seen a lot of high 8's and 9's. Then, when I was told keeping it under 7 was 'good work' I was happy seeing 6's. Then I started calling myself 'The 5 guy'. Now 4's are showing up regularly.

The medicine I'm taking - Metformin - is shown to reduce A1c levels on average a full percentage point...and while my 5.9 ( a 4 point reduction) still hit in the 'at risk' category...not diabetic, or predibetic...I have no doubt my next test will reveal 'normal' numbers.

I've got my numbers down through weight loss from changing the way I eat.

Interestingly enough, and yes - slippery slope and all...I've allowed myself things from post 12 weeks here that I did not during the first 12 weeks. Sandwiches, every fruit now, a couple of pops...and my numbers keep going down. I can process carbs and never run high. Including recently while reducing my meds.

TLDR I'm Wolverine.

< Message edited by Todd M -- 5/26/2016 9:07:16 AM >
Post #: 1502
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/26/2016 10:06:20 AM   
SoMnFan

Amazing Todd, amazing.
Has to feel sooooo damn good.
Proud of you bro.
Post #: 1503
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/26/2016 12:57:31 PM   
Steve Lentz

Unbelievable Todd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So happy for ya.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1504
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/26/2016 2:54:22 PM   
David Levine

Badass, Todd.
Post #: 1505
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/26/2016 3:46:50 PM   
SoMnFan

Please stay on top of it too.
You guys that are in your 20s and 30s are probably like I was, scoffing every time some old buck told you your body would change one day and it would suck bad....
I was a 140 pound scrapper all thru HS, could eat twenty pounds of meat a weekend and never gain an ounce.
Worked like a fool at tough jobs thru my 20s and 30s, while playing adult league sports every damn night ... and remained at about 150-175. No matter how badly I treated myself.
And then BAM mid 40's it nails you, if you change jobs, change your habits, change your activities.
I said it would never happen to me but it did.
I worry about all my nephews and even my own kids, they are all bigger than I was, and I keep telling them ... its coming man. If you aren't lean and mean in those young days, you may be in trouble.
What you've accomplished is awesome Todd. Stay on top of it.
Post #: 1506
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/26/2016 4:37:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

I've started reducing me diabetes medication. Against my dr's advice and my wife's request.

I'm out here on an island. I can't even find people in a type 2 diabetes forum that will go along with my thoughts...and they are, that, either my diabetes is in remission already, or reversed, or there's another angle to being obese and shooting high blood glucose #'s that is too easily wrapped up in a tidy bow and called diabetes.

I hit the 80 pound loss mark today.

And I think that's done the trick.

I was first tested with a fasting blood glucose of over 10. Daily testing at first seen a lot of high 8's and 9's. Then, when I was told keeping it under 7 was 'good work' I was happy seeing 6's. Then I started calling myself 'The 5 guy'. Now 4's are showing up regularly.

The medicine I'm taking - Metformin - is shown to reduce A1c levels on average a full percentage point...and while my 5.9 ( a 4 point reduction) still hit in the 'at risk' category...not diabetic, or predibetic...I have no doubt my next test will reveal 'normal' numbers.

I've got my numbers down through weight loss from changing the way I eat.

Interestingly enough, and yes - slippery slope and all...I've allowed myself things from post 12 weeks here that I did not during the first 12 weeks. Sandwiches, every fruit now, a couple of pops...and my numbers keep going down. I can process carbs and never run high. Including recently while reducing my meds.

TLDR I'm Wolverine.

I can confirm that at least in my case losing weight helped my pre diabetes. I was a really good boy exercising for a couple months. I lost 22 pounds and brought my number from 6 to about 4. So in my case and Todd's case losing weight has been a cure for Diabetes.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1507
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/26/2016 4:38:21 PM   
Todd M

Well, that will be the real challenge. Staying on top of it/maintaining.

The thing is, this wasn't particularly difficult for me. Oh sure I was ready to throw in the towel immediately, that's what I do. But simply choosing to eat right has paid all these dividends. I was never miserable looking down at carrot sticks and celery while others indulged...I just ate the best I could every day. If I really REALLY wanted something...I had it. I was pretty disciplined though.

And now here we are. I aced the initial test. And it will mean nothing if I go back to my old ways. However slow the slide. This is my wife's biggest fear. Mr easy time of it - will hit my weight loss goal of 85 pounds in under 4 months (I never set a time limit) and have turned around my blood glucose numbers in a rare way. I've read studies where people were put on super restrictive diets of 800 calories...essentially a protein mush and all the lettuce and broccoli type greens they wanted, or had bariatric surgery to get these numbers. Maintaining is still the trick but those are extreme measures...and a lot of the time in either of those cases the success rate isn't even that good (over the initial phase let alone long term) ...with a medical team and the drive to stay shiny because you're under the microscope. Yet here I am running along almost like getting diagnosed with diabetes was a minor bump in the road. Just ate better and got lucky landing a physically challenging job. My wife worries that I'll take this all for granted. That I'll wean myself off the meds, have a decent run...then fall off the wagon. Then be heartbroken I can't reverse the needle again. Certainly not a huge stretch to imagine that happening.

But I'm in the drivers seat. And it feels good. I'm proud of my accomplishments. Who knows what the future holds all I know is that I love this feeling and hope I don't dummy myself again.
Post #: 1508
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/28/2016 4:24:46 PM   
Todd M

Decreases meds, increases carbs.

Hypoglycemic this morning.

3.1 (55.8)

Hypoglycemia is a condition characterized by abnormally low blood glucose (blood sugar) levels, usually less than 70 mg/dl.

The ****, I don't have enough diabetes now?
Post #: 1509
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/29/2016 12:11:46 AM   
thebigo

Let me be the first to say it.

Happy Birthday Lil' Jeffy!
Post #: 1510
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/29/2016 12:43:47 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Somehow that doesn't sound very sincere.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1511
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/29/2016 7:58:02 AM   
Ricky J

Happy Birthday, Jeff!
Post #: 1512
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/29/2016 4:26:34 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Decreases meds, increases carbs.

Hypoglycemic this morning.

3.1 (55.8)

Hypoglycemia is a condition characterized by abnormally low blood glucose (blood sugar) levels, usually less than 70 mg/dl.

The ****, I don't have enough diabetes now?

todd, hypoglycemia is not diabetes..

with all the changes in diet and everything else you have done, your body is probably processing sugars and carbs the way it is supposed to.. as a result, you may have a bit too much natural insulin, causing you to tip the scale on blood sugar the other way.. if you are getting consistently low blood sugar levels, stop taking the a1c med and tell your doctor.. immediately..

hypoglycemia can cause weakness, dizziness, fainting, seizures, coma and even death, just as easily as hyperglycemic conditions..

if you blood sugars are as low such that you refer to them as "shiney" levels, I seriously question the need for a drug that artificially removes sugar thru urination..

you should keep candy on had for a quick sugar boost..

My wife has had the same condition and she has to carry around glucose tablets to take when the weakness and dizziness starts to hit her.

If your doctor is unresponsive or wont see you right away, find one who will.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1513
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/29/2016 5:15:03 PM   
Todd M

Invincible, stop taking meds. Got it.

I'll work it out. I just have to stay away from anything under say 3.5. I'm comfortable, feeling my best actually, running 5-6. 7 after meals. I'm not at my best in the 4's. And I don't want to have an issue expending so much energy at work and risk crashing.

Been testing myself with various things this weekend. Nothing really raises my blood sugar. Just don't understand that hypoglycemic episode AFTER breakfast. I am going to make a dr's apt and see what he says. Time to wean myself off the medicine is where I leaning. Bet he says to stay the course still. Going to ask for a referral or seek out someone who specializes in this field. With my dr it's a herding in and out here's your prescription deal. I need someone more invested.
Post #: 1514
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/30/2016 12:55:38 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Somehow that doesn't sound very sincere.

Why, I don't know what you mean?
Post #: 1515
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/31/2016 10:27:17 AM   
Todd M

quote:

if you blood sugars are as low such that you refer to them as "shiney" levels, I seriously question the need for a drug that artificially removes sugar thru urination..

Just got back from the dr.

Told him my numbers...he said; we should take out one of your metformin dosages. I told him I already did. He said; and you're still hitting those numbers? I said yes. He says; let's drop the januvia as well then.

Sweeeeeeet! 50% reduction in meds, dr endorsed, in only 15 weeks. Not bad for a guy that was being led to go on insulin from the beginning.

He also said "if you stay active your probably won't need to be regulated with meds".

Which I heard asyou don't need meds.
Post #: 1516
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/31/2016 11:10:13 AM   
SoMnFan

Atta boy Todd.
The good tunes just keep on coming.
Post #: 1517
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/31/2016 11:17:10 AM   
Todd M

I'm in the drivers seat. Just gotta keep my hands at 10 and 2.

I totally drive in real life with as little touching the wheel as possible at times
Post #: 1518
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/31/2016 2:49:17 PM   
Lynn G.

Todd - you may never know the full extent of how much you inspire others. I'll bet you dough that your doctor will refer to you (without naming you of course) any time he has a patient that says - "it would be so hard to lose the weight and change my habits."

His response will be: "Another patient of mine was this close to needing insulin and x,y meds, but he changed his diet and got active and within 15 weeks he was off all meds and feeling fabulous."

Maybe you'll hear a little buzz in your ear every time that happens.

... or that could just be a mosquito.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1519
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 5/31/2016 8:03:19 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Todd - you may never know the full extent of how much you inspire others. I'll bet you dough that your doctor will refer to you (without naming you of course) any time he has a patient that says - "it would be so hard to lose the weight and change my habits."

His response will be: "Another patient of mine was this close to needing insulin and x,y meds, but he changed his diet and got active and within 15 weeks he was off all meds and feeling fabulous."

Maybe you'll hear a little buzz in your ear every time that happens.

... or that could just be a mosquito.

He'll know if it's a Canadian mosquito buzzing in his ear.
Post #: 1520
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 6/5/2016 1:47:25 PM   
Todd M

Quick reference I thought I'd throw up here as to not thread jack.

The 5 Guy has shot 10 consecutive readings in the 5 range. Right where I want to be and am most comfortable. In the morning, after breakfast, lunch or dinner. 5's across the board.

After my body has settled from the med reduction. Not that it ever went crazy but there was a point a couple of times where I was glad to get rid of the 4's but sad to have exchanged them for 7's. Thought for a moment the dream was over but I am completely regulated now.
Post #: 1521
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 6/5/2016 2:01:52 PM   
Todd M

I did have a bit of a scare.

Was just about to sit down to a nice bowl of berries and yogurt and was ready to test my blood prior. This meal would make a lot of diabetics spike. But not the 5 guy right?

So I test right before so I can plan to do one exactly 2 hours after. Want to point to staying in range over this snack.

Test comes back 'HI".

Test again - "HI".

Well now I have to look up what "HI" means. Oh, possibly 33 or higher....nice...that's like 600 in case you're wondering. I should just eat this sugary snack and end it all...

My wife asks; Did you wash your hands after prepping the berries?

...maybe I should do that...

Ahhhhhhhh 5.1.

2 hours after...5.1 again!!!

<points>

< Message edited by Todd M -- 6/5/2016 3:03:25 PM >
Post #: 1522
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 6/5/2016 2:44:35 PM   
David Levine

Post #: 1523
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 6/6/2016 4:33:55 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

lol..

todd getting ready for a blood test...

let me soak these fingers in some syrup first. then coat them in sugar.. then stick myself and draw blood..

hmm high blood sugar levels!!!

WTF!!!

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1524
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 6/7/2016 3:45:40 PM   
Todd M

Finally!

I mean, I set no time limit but after an avg of 5 pounds a week riding out the last 10 days needing to lose 2 to cross the goal line was a little frustrating.

Today is a good day!

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1525
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode