Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/22/2018 9:47:32 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

WHen you watch the Wild it seems like there are several times a game where you want to scream "Why is nobody out front to slam a shot?" The Caps always seem to have Ovechkin out front waiting to hammer a missile at the goalie.

Bingo. I think about that all the time. So often we're in a good position to set up a shot but there is no one out front! As average a player as he was, Mark Parrish was always positioned to slam one in. We use Parise that way - but seemingly no one else on the current team. C'mon man!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 3576
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/22/2018 3:15:22 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

WHen you watch the Wild it seems like there are several times a game where you want to scream "Why is nobody out front to slam a shot?" The Caps always seem to have Ovechkin out front waiting to hammer a missile at the goalie.

Bingo. I think about that all the time. So often we're in a good position to set up a shot but there is no one out front! As average a player as he was, Mark Parrish was always positioned to slam one in. We use Parise that way - but seemingly no one else on the current team. C'mon man!

Islander HOFer Mark Parrish was not an average player.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3577
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/24/2018 7:57:28 AM   
joejitsu

Saad finally gets his first goals of the season. He needs to play to his potential for the Hawks to be consistent on offense. Crawford looks to be in decent playing shape, but the defense is going to have to get better on the fly before I feel comfortable.
Post #: 3578
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/24/2018 8:21:28 AM   
SoMnFan

Big bounceback win joe. Congrats

Helluva fun game in Nashville last night
Loving the Sharks
They've been my 2nd favorite for years.
Karlson almost makes it unfair. Him or Burns on-ice at all times.
And Joe F-ing Pavelski is still pounding it home nightly.
The West is ridiculously loaded with GREAT teams.
Post #: 3579
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/24/2018 5:19:41 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Big bounceback win joe. Congrats

Helluva fun game in Nashville last night
Loving the Sharks
They've been my 2nd favorite for years.
Karlson almost makes it unfair. Him or Burns on-ice at all times.
And Joe F-ing Pavelski is still pounding it home nightly.
The West is ridiculously loaded with GREAT teams.

I'm really going to watch the sharks for a few games. We both knew that Karlsson would be a death matchup for most lines, but how they are using Burns and him is really scary. And there is a nice mix of speed guys and experience.
Post #: 3580
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/25/2018 7:47:04 AM   
SoMnFan

Pretty fascinating joe, to see them evolve
It isn't easy to make work, but its a good problem to have
They seem to get what the Wild have not gotten ... you may have solid pieces ... but you have to keep adding to the mix, and changing the recipe once in awhile.
Has to be frustrating for them to not have some Cups tho. And now the most of them are past their primes.
This is the last, last gasp for some of them.
Post #: 3581
RE: General NHL Talk - 10/25/2018 11:19:49 AM   
SoMnFan

I forgot about this and feel bad for the kid.
I know quite a few people who know him, and swear there's something not right here.
I'd be pissed if I was accused and punished for something I know I did not do.
I know we say it about many of these ... but this one is wayyyyyy too far out of character, to not be something that needs to be investigated further.

Vegas Golden Knights defenseman Nate Schmidt has been suspended for the first 20 games of the season for violating the NHL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs, but the team and the player are disputing that he cheated.

Schmidt is permitted to take part in training camp but will not be allowed to dress or play in any preseason games.

He also will be referred to the NHL/NHLPA program for substance abuse and behavior health to be evaluated and possibly receive treatment.

The Golden Knights said in a statement that they "strongly disagree with the suspension."

"We firmly believe that the presence of a trace of the banned substance was accidental and unintentional," the statement said. "Based on our conversations with Nate, analysis from independent medical experts and sworn testimony from the parties involved, we believe it is clear Nate was not able to reasonably ascertain how the substance entered his body.

"Nate is an honest person with high moral character and great integrity. We will stand by him and support him during this time."

Schmidt, 27, had 5 goals and 31 assists in 76 games for Vegas last season. He had a plus-minus rating of 19. In the playoffs he had three goals and four assists and a plus-minus of seven in 20 games as the Golden Knights advanced to the Stanley Cup Final.

Schmidt issued a lengthy statement through the players' union.

"Throughout my playing career I have been tested numerous times, including twice last season, and I have never before tested positive," he said. "It was utterly shocking to be informed that I tested positive for a microscopic amount of a tainted substance. Not only did I not intentionally take a banned substance, I could not have received any performance enhancement benefit from the trace amount that inadvertently got into my system at a level that was far too small to have any effect."

He said that one expert claimed that the amount of the substance was the equivalent of a pinch of salt in an Olympic-size swimming pool.

"While I support having a strong Performance Enhancing Substances Program in place for our sport, it is difficult to accept this suspension," he added. "I understand that I will miss these games, but I do not agree with the suspension and I will not accept being labelled a cheater."
Post #: 3582
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2018 9:49:50 AM   
SoMnFan

Youre kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quenneville fired?

Cmon joe ... what the hell?
Post #: 3583
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2018 9:56:06 AM   
SoMnFan

bad news for the Dead man Walking in St Louis
next Blues coach ... Joel Quenneville.
Post #: 3584
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2018 9:56:45 AM   
SoMnFan

THREE CUPS AINT ENOUGH

Take note, Minnesota fans.
Welcome to the real world of professional sports.
Post #: 3585
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2018 11:50:54 AM   
SoMnFan

The Chicago Blackhawks fired coach Joel Quenneville on Tuesday.

Quenneville, who won three Stanley Cups with the Blackhawks, had been with the team since 2008 and was the longest-tenured coach in the NHL. He is the second-winningest coach in NHL history, compiling 890 wins with St. Louis, Colorado and Chicago; only Scotty Bowman (1,244) has more.

Chicago promoted its AHL coach, Jeremy Colliton, 33, who becomes the youngest head coach in the NHL.

Owner Rocky Wirtz released a statement saying the team parted with Quenneville with his "full support."

"As Chicago Blackhawks fans have seen over the last decade, this organization no longer shies away from making tough decisions or ones based on emotion," Wirtz's statement read. "Those days are long behind us. Of course, Joel's was difficult, as it should have been. During his tenure as head coach to the Chicago Blackhawks, Joel brought the city of Chicago and our fans three Stanley Cups and an incredible era of hockey."

Last season, the Blackhawks missed the playoffs for the first time in a decade. They were without starting goaltender Corey Crawford for most of the season. Crawford returned this season but the Blackhawks are 6-6-3, the second-worst record in the Central Division. After a quick start, they've taken only one of a possible 10 points.

Joel Quenneville is one of three head coaches to win all his Stanley Cup Finals, with a minimum of three appearances.

Coach

Win pct

W-L

Hap Day 1.000 5-0
Joel Quenneville 1.000 3-0
Pete Green 1.000 3-0
Toe Blake .889 8-1

Elias Sports Bureau

The Blackhawks also fired assistant coaches Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson. Barry Smith, 66, was named an assistant coach on Colliton's staff.

"This is certainly a very difficult decision," general manager Stan Bowman said in a statement. "But I believe it is in the best interests of the Blackhawks organization. We need to maximize each and every opportunity with our playoff goals in mind and create continued growth and development throughout our roster at the same time. After much deliberation the last several days, with great respect to what Joel has meant to the Blackhawks, we knew we had to make a change.

"Along with our appreciation for everything Joel has accomplished for our franchise, we also thank Kevin and Ulf for their many contributions and wish them success in the future."

Last season, there were no in-season coaching changes in the NHL for the first time since the Original Six expansion. Quenneville's departure marks the second firing in a week. The Los Angeles Kings fired John Stevens over the weekend, replacing him with Willie Desjardins.

Colliton was in his second season as the Rockford Ice Hogs head coach, the top affiliate of the Blackhawks. Rockford made it to its first AHL Western Conference finals last season.

Prior to joining the Blackhawks organization, Colliton spent four seasons as the head coach of Mora IK in Sweden (HockeyAllsvenskan).

Colliton was a second-round pick (58th overall) of the New York Islanders in the 2003 NHL draft. He appeared in 57 NHL games across five seasons with the Islanders, recording three goals and three assists.
Post #: 3586
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2018 11:55:11 AM   
SoMnFan

Craziest NHL story tho ... was Brian Boyle with his first hattrick last night, on Hockey Fights Cancer Night

hard to talk about that one in this dusty room ....

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 11/6/2018 11:58:56 AM >
Post #: 3587
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2018 4:21:05 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

Youre kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quenneville fired?

Cmon joe ... what the hell?

I don't know, SoMn. This town is pretty hot under the collar right now. Q was thrown under the bus by bowman and mcdonough for mistakes they have made. Huge contracts, no trade clauses, and cap problems were their issues, not the coach. My bet is that Q ends up in L.A. or st. louis. One of the funniest things I heard is that colliton is good friends with seabrook. I'm not one of the happiest of campers right now.
Post #: 3588
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/6/2018 4:27:48 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

The Chicago Blackhawks fired coach Joel Quenneville on Tuesday.

Quenneville, who won three Stanley Cups with the Blackhawks, had been with the team since 2008 and was the longest-tenured coach in the NHL. He is the second-winningest coach in NHL history, compiling 890 wins with St. Louis, Colorado and Chicago; only Scotty Bowman (1,244) has more.

Chicago promoted its AHL coach, Jeremy Colliton, 33, who becomes the youngest head coach in the NHL.

Owner Rocky Wirtz released a statement saying the team parted with Quenneville with his "full support."

"As Chicago Blackhawks fans have seen over the last decade, this organization no longer shies away from making tough decisions or ones based on emotion," Wirtz's statement read. "Those days are long behind us. Of course, Joel's was difficult, as it should have been. During his tenure as head coach to the Chicago Blackhawks, Joel brought the city of Chicago and our fans three Stanley Cups and an incredible era of hockey."

Last season, the Blackhawks missed the playoffs for the first time in a decade. They were without starting goaltender Corey Crawford for most of the season. Crawford returned this season but the Blackhawks are 6-6-3, the second-worst record in the Central Division. After a quick start, they've taken only one of a possible 10 points.

Joel Quenneville is one of three head coaches to win all his Stanley Cup Finals, with a minimum of three appearances.

Coach

Win pct

W-L

Hap Day 1.000 5-0
Joel Quenneville 1.000 3-0
Pete Green 1.000 3-0
Toe Blake .889 8-1

Elias Sports Bureau

The Blackhawks also fired assistant coaches Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson. Barry Smith, 66, was named an assistant coach on Colliton's staff.

"This is certainly a very difficult decision," general manager Stan Bowman said in a statement. "But I believe it is in the best interests of the Blackhawks organization. We need to maximize each and every opportunity with our playoff goals in mind and create continued growth and development throughout our roster at the same time. After much deliberation the last several days, with great respect to what Joel has meant to the Blackhawks, we knew we had to make a change.

"Along with our appreciation for everything Joel has accomplished for our franchise, we also thank Kevin and Ulf for their many contributions and wish them success in the future."

Last season, there were no in-season coaching changes in the NHL for the first time since the Original Six expansion. Quenneville's departure marks the second firing in a week. The Los Angeles Kings fired John Stevens over the weekend, replacing him with Willie Desjardins.

Colliton was in his second season as the Rockford Ice Hogs head coach, the top affiliate of the Blackhawks. Rockford made it to its first AHL Western Conference finals last season.

Prior to joining the Blackhawks organization, Colliton spent four seasons as the head coach of Mora IK in Sweden (HockeyAllsvenskan).

Colliton was a second-round pick (58th overall) of the New York Islanders in the 2003 NHL draft. He appeared in 57 NHL games across five seasons with the Islanders, recording three goals and three assists.

Looking at that statement you posted, I see that they trust colliton's coaching ability so much, that they went out and picked up barry smith to babysit him on the bench. We'll see how this all plays out.
Post #: 3589
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/7/2018 8:51:29 AM   
joejitsu

I woke up this morning with the feeling that the ghost of Dollar Bill somehow found its way into the office again, all these years later. Not good.
Post #: 3590
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/7/2018 9:33:33 AM   
SoMnFan

... but having those Cups, anyway .........

You'll be ok, joe.
Post #: 3591
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/7/2018 9:34:16 AM   
SoMnFan

Seriously, if we had won 3 Cups in the past decade, I'd be dead.
From happiness, and excess, and just sheer joy
Post #: 3592
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/8/2018 7:09:20 AM   
SoMnFan

Love this FB meme from last night

"The Capitals Tom Wilson..... suspended for 20 games for Evgeni Malkin's hit on TJ Oshie"
Post #: 3593
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/8/2018 10:04:33 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

Love this FB meme from last night

"The Capitals Tom Wilson..... suspended for 20 games for Evgeni Malkin's hit on TJ Oshie"

Ha!
Post #: 3594
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/10/2018 2:35:24 PM   
joejitsu

Two games with the new coach, and two losses. And the entire Hawks roster, with the exception of Crawford, looked disinterested. Maybe I'll be able to afford some tickets this season after all!
Post #: 3595
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/13/2018 8:55:57 AM   
SoMnFan

Your three Cups in 2 years are blocking my feel-for-ya emotions right now, Joe.
Post #: 3596
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/13/2018 1:03:38 PM   
Lynn G.

Yeah, sorry Joe. I was also going to say something about coming to the exact wrong place looking for sympathy here. There isn't any left once we use up our self-pity quotient. Honestly, I hope the Blackhawks have a decade of really, really truly awful teams. Do with that what you will.

{insert my imagined 3D video of a slapshot seemingly coming right through the monitor}

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 3597
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/14/2018 8:36:22 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Yeah, sorry Joe. I was also going to say something about coming to the exact wrong place looking for sympathy here. There isn't any left once we use up our self-pity quotient. Honestly, I hope the Blackhawks have a decade of really, really truly awful teams. Do with that what you will.

{insert my imagined 3D video of a slapshot seemingly coming right through the monitor}

You all make me laugh sometimes! Lynn, I also kind of hope that the Hawks go on a run of stink because then, maybe, I can afford tickets in my beloved 110 section again! Really, it is hard supporting a team whose ownership and management seem to care less than the fan base. I'm a true Vikings fan, though, so at least I'm conditioned for letdowns.
Post #: 3598
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/14/2018 8:39:38 AM   
SoMnFan

whoa ... whoa ... whoa ..............
They cared enough to give you 7 Cups in four years my friend ...
If my owners did that for me, I'd let them abuse me for awhile, gladly.
Post #: 3599
RE: General NHL Talk - 11/14/2018 8:40:35 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

Your three Cups in 2 years are blocking my feel-for-ya emotions right now, Joe.

True, Sir. But it's hard to be a true fan and see the condition of your club deteriorate due to bad decisions. Especially when it's an Original 6 member (although a couple of the other five haven't looked so great in the last few years, either.)
Post #: 3600
Page:   <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Talk Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode