Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL - 5/22/2015 3:43:11 PM   
SoMnFan

Pffft, you're a youngin' yet.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1851
RE: General NHL - 5/22/2015 3:49:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Pffft, you're a youngin' yet.

BZZZZZZT

sorry, wrong answer. Starter later than most

Escape while you can!
Post #: 1852
RE: General NHL - 5/22/2015 4:15:41 PM   
Stacey King

Tyler Johnson: The one that got away from the Wild
By Michael Russo

I have reported this before, but since there seems to be such a misconception out there among some Wild fans or frankly misreporting nationally, I figured I should rehash the Tyler Johnson story.

First of all, if you’re a Wild fan and don’t know the story, put down your lunch and find a garbage can or toilet because you’re about to be sick.

Johnson, the 24-year-old budding star of the Tampa Bay Lightning who leads the NHL with 12 playoff goals (tied for Lightning team record in six fewer games than Ruslan Fedotenko and seven fewer games than Brad Richards), was at the Wild’s 2010 development camp and in a Wild uniform at the 2009 and 2010 Traverse City prospect tournaments as an invitee.

He may be the “one that got away” as I labeled it last year, but that doesn’t mean the Wild didn’t try to sign him.

Here’s what happened (and this is according to Johnson himself when I interviewed him after a morning skate Feb. 4, 2014, in Minnesota, and Wild GM Chuck Fletcher and assistant GM Brent Flahr over multiple conversations the past two years):

First of all, this is a kid that was draft eligible three years in a row. There were 632 kids drafted in those three drafts, and nobody, including Tampa Bay, drafted him.

In 2009 (a few months after Fletcher was hired as GM), scout Paul Charles invited Johnson to the Wild’s prospect tournament in Traverse City before the 2009 training camp. Teams do this mostly for the purpose of filling out rosters when they don’t have enough kids to fill a team.

Johnson played well in the tournament, returned to Spokane of the WHL, scored 36 goals and 71 points in 64 games, wasn’t drafted by anybody again and was invited to the Wild’s development camp a few weeks later. He impressed and was invited back for the Traverse City tournament.

This is unfortunately where things went awry: The Wild was very interested in signing Johnson after the tournament. But Johnson told me he hurt his shoulder the first or second shift (I can’t remember right now) of the first game of that 2010 Traverse City tournament (the year the Wild won the tournament) and missed the rest of the tournament.

He was talking to the Wild about a contract at that time, but when he hurt his shoulder, the decision was made to let him go back and play his overage year of junior. Coincidentally, the Wild signed Johnson’s Spokane teammate Jared Spurgeon after that same Traverse City tournament (Johnson and Spurgeon won the Memorial Cup together in 2008). Spurgeon was drafted by the Islanders in 2008, but then not signed by the June 1, 2010, deadline. He went back into the 2010 draft, wasn’t drafted by any of the 30 teams and thus became a free agent, eventually signing with the Wild.

Unfortunately for the Wild, Johnson goes back to Spokane after hurting his shoulder and ends up having a monster 53-goal, 115-point 2010-11 season. Johnson told me about 10 teams came after him and he received contract offers from Tampa Bay, Minnesota and what has since been reported as Chicago.

Johnson sat down with his dad and went over the depth charts of those three teams. In the 2010 draft, the Wild selected Mikael Granlund, Brett Bulmer, Johan Larsson and Jason Zucker.

Johnson told me he just saw a clearer path to the NHL and more opportunity with the Lightning. So he decided to sign with them over Minnesota and Chicago. Obviously, the right decision for himself (to say the least).

If you’re the Wild and Wild fans, it obviously stings. One really does have to wonder if history would have changed if he didn’t hurt his shoulder that one game in Traverse City. Would the Wild have signed him in mid-September like Spurgeon rather than waiting and then trying to sign him after his giant year in Spokane?

In hindsight, just terrible bad luck and timing for the Wild. That’s life.

But this was not the case of the Wild cutting him from two camps like this is little league (that seems to be the perception of some). Teams bring tons of invitees to development camp and prospect tournaments annually. The vast majority go home without a contract.

It’s easy to say in hindsight the Wild should have gotten it done. It’s easy to say in hindsight the Wild was smart enough to bring him to camp but not smart enough to finish it off.

But unfortunately in Johnson’s case, this may have been the late bloomer of the century.

Not drafted three years in a row by 30 NHL teams. Not invited to prospect tournaments and development camps by 29 teams, including Tampa Bay.

Look at it this way: If any of the 30 teams knew he’d be this good, he would have been a first-round pick, not passed over 632 times by 30 teams and signed as a free agent after a tremendous overage year in junior.

The Wild’s being painted as the dumb guys here, but frankly, the whole league whiffed.

That’s a testament to what this kid has accomplished the past two seasons.

Teams are so leery of smaller players even if the skill is obvious (it’s not like Johnson was a secret; he won a Memorial Cup, combined for 132 points from 2008-10, played on the U.S.’s world junior team in 2009 and 2010).

This is not the first time a little guy makes NHL teams look stupid.

Johnny Gaudreau was passed over 103 times in 2011 before Calgary took him.

Dan Boyle was undrafted, signed by the Florida Panthers because former Miami University coach Billy Davidge was a scout there, eventually traded to rival Tampa Bay for squat and became a star.

Martin St. Louis, a future Hall of Famer, was undrafted and bought out by the Calgary Flames.

Spurgeon, unsigned by the Islanders, undrafted again by 30 teams, coming off a solid playoff, will next season be a $3.6 million hockey player and is a year away from getting a big, long-term contract.

Ray Whitney, coincidentally a former Spokane player. The “Wizard” was placed on waivers by his hometown Edmonton Oilers and picked up by the Florida Panthers. He scored 32 goals that season and ended a 1,330-game, 1,064-point playing career with a 2006 Stanley Cup.

Like I said, it stinks. Johnson is no doubt the one that got away from the Wild.

I’m sure Fletcher rehashes everything in his mind almost nightly this postseason. Somebody jokingly asked me on Twitter if I think Fletcher takes a shot every time Johnson scores this playoff. Probably.

But every decision is a no-brainer in hindsight, and judging from what Johnson told me, this just seems like a case of the worst luck ever.

For the Wild. Not the Lightning.
Post #: 1853
RE: General NHL - 5/22/2015 4:24:59 PM   
Stacey King

Chris Pronger on conversations he’d have back in 2007 with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry: “There were times where myself or Scott Niedermayer or Todd Marchant would keep them on the bus before we’d go to the rink and say, ‘We will go as far as you take us. Going hard to the net, getting tough goals…you might not understand or get it now, but (the other players) will follow you. If we’re going to win, you’re helping drive the bus here.’ All the pressure was on the rest of us. All the burden fell on our shoulders. But give them credit. We wanted them to recognize how important they were, and they did.”

He added that Anaheim did a good job of making sure the two of them weren’t expected to carry the weight too early. “I left, Scotty retired. Having (Saku) Koivu come in there with Teemu (Selanne)…bridge the gap, allow them some time to grow. They were not necessarily anonymous, but supported. Now they’re the guys. They know the team goes as far as they take it. They’re in the room busting chops when necessary, which is what good teams do.”

After listening to this, I asked Pronger if he ever had an confrontation with either Getzlaf or Perry similar to the legendary one with Claude Giroux? (If you’re not familiar, Paul Holmgren said Pronger threw Giroux against a wall.)

Pronger laughed. “That was blown out of proportion,” he said. It was? “Yes. It was never physical. Just verbal about how to play and lead.”

Did Pronger ever wonder how Getzlaf (19th) and Perry (28th) fell so far in the draft?

“That was 2003, wasn’t it?” (Yes.) “There were a lot of great players. The knock on Getzy was he was inconsistent, didn't play hard every game. On Perry it was his skating was not good enough. You could just see the talent they have, the battle and the will. The will to want to get to the front of the net, take the abuse — it’s not like it once was — but you still have to get there and be there. Perry’s a pain in ass, Getz is big and strong, controls the puck and the play.”

What Pronger sees now is they’ve gone from winning at age 22 to suffering. "You don’t make the playoffs, there are a couple heartbreaker Game 7s. Now you turn 30 and haven’t been back, haven’t sniffed the conference final. You might not get another chance. It goes by fast.”

Finally, Pronger brought up Randy Carlyle. “I don’t know if Randy gets credit, but he should. He tried to teach them how to be pros…kept them down a peg, not give them the world right away. It wasn’t easy, but I’m sure they have a better appreciation for it now.”
Post #: 1854
RE: General NHL - 5/22/2015 4:33:01 PM   
SoMnFan

Couple great reads there.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1855
RE: General NHL - 5/22/2015 5:33:36 PM   
SoMnFan

Quennevilles really shuffling the cards lately.

Chicago brought defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk, who is coming off knee and wrist surgeries, to the big club today and coach Joel Quenneville didn't rule him out for the rest of the series against the Ducks.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1856
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 7:29:05 AM   
SoMnFan

Lordy lordy
The Ning just had their "Wild shit the bed in game 4 at home" game.
Yuck.

THAT is the Ranger team I saw in the regular season.
BY FAR the best team in hockey when they attack like that.
There were stretches in the third where it looked like Varsity vs JV.
Shouldn't happen at this stage, but it does.
Mr Bishop, for all the great things he has done, is going to have a tough time recovering from that debacle.
Kinda what sets Lundquist apart. Its not a big surprise to see him settle back in to being damn-near unbeatable quickly, after a couple stinkers.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1857
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 8:45:19 AM   
stfrank

quote:

Lordy lordy
The Ning just had their "Wild shit the bed in game 4 at home" game.
Yuck.

THAT is the Ranger team I saw in the regular season.
BY FAR the best team in hockey when they attack like that.
There were stretches in the third where it looked like Varsity vs JV.
Shouldn't happen at this stage, but it does.
Mr Bishop, for all the great things he has done, is going to have a tough time recovering from that debacle.
Kinda what sets Lundquist apart. Its not a big surprise to see him settle back in to being damn-near unbeatable quickly, after a couple stinkers.

Although the score looks like they got killed, had a couple of those pipes went in instead of out, this game may have had a totally different outcome.
Post #: 1858
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 12:53:00 PM   
SoMnFan

Probably a must-win for your boys tonight joe.
Hawks play best in that sitch anyway.
Should be a barn-burner in ChiTown tonight.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1859
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 4:42:23 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

Probably a must-win for your boys tonight joe.
Hawks play best in that sitch anyway.
Should be a barn-burner in ChiTown tonight.

I think you're right, sir. I think Q feels the same way, too. He took the roster blender out again and switched things up. He seems to frustrated with the effort some vets are showing. I think they are just overmatched at this point. Anaheim are banging them around and putting massive pressure on the defense. It ain't looking too good for the Indian.
Post #: 1860
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 4:44:29 PM   
SoMnFan

You old possum.
My sons a huge Hawks fan.
Its what you guys do.

I fell for it once.
Never again my friend.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1861
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 5:20:05 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

You old possum.
My sons a huge Hawks fan.
Its what you guys do.

I fell for it once.
Never again my friend.

Haha! We Hawks supporters tend to hold our cards a little close to the vest, but I call them like I see them. I'm worried about this series, sir. This was the worst possible matchup for the Hawks due to the physicality (is that even a word?) of anaheim's forwards. I will be watching the game tonight in real time because there is no Judo class to coach or little league game for my kids. But I will be very anxious the whole game, I'm sure.
Post #: 1862
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 5:23:00 PM   
SoMnFan

Yep, that's A word, and THE word.
I think you will be pleased tonight.
Sure feels like its going seven.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1863
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 5:27:13 PM   
joejitsu

I'm going to take your word for it, my friend. But I will be checking in periodlically in case I need to be talked off the ledge!
Post #: 1864
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 5:28:46 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

I'm going to take your word for it, my friend. But I will be checking in periodlically in case I need to be talked off the ledge!

I'll be at the watering hole
Wishing it was us, either way it goes.

Good luck man. You follow a good damn team. Damn you.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1865
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 8:26:45 PM   
joejitsu

Good puck movement tonight. Saad with the shorthanded goal.
Post #: 1866
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 9:38:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

OMG - the Hawks have just imploded. Sorry to say it Joe, but good luck next year.
Post #: 1867
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 9:41:34 PM   
joejitsu

No doubt. 3 goals in 37 seconds. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it.
Post #: 1868
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 9:45:31 PM   
joejitsu

The only hope is the power play. Oh, wait...it's now tied! Kane with the pp goal.
Post #: 1869
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 9:45:38 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

No doubt. 3 goals in 37 seconds. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it.

Wow, what a great game. Back in it for you guys!
Post #: 1870
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 9:59:24 PM   
joejitsu

Another overtime game. This is fun!
Post #: 1871
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 10:50:08 PM   
joejitsu

Bickell has brought nothing to this series. He has a reputation as a playoff player, but he's been invisible so far.
Post #: 1872
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 10:51:12 PM   
joejitsu

Sharp needs to step up as well.
Post #: 1873
RE: General NHL - 5/23/2015 11:13:42 PM   
joejitsu

Whew. Vermette with the game winner. Series tied at two.
Post #: 1874
RE: General NHL - 5/24/2015 7:30:47 AM   
SoMnFan

Arghhhh
Turned it on JUST in time to see Vermettes winner.
Sigh.
The rich get richer, the lucky got rewarded, the winners win.
This is the greatest example ever of how you have to KILL the champion (and yes I know the Hawks are not THIS years champion, but make no mistake, they are champions).
You cant expect they will quit or roll over or give it up easily, no matter what happens.
There have been a million chances for the Ducks to have already put this thing away, and Chicago just keeps breathing.
Frustrating for someone like me who wants them dead, but I respect the hell out of that mentality.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1875
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode