Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General NHL

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General NHL - 7/13/2015 11:56:27 PM   
SoMnFan

Poor Wild East .... They can't help themselves.
Their prized recent traded-for-and-recent-re-signee (O'Reilly) is in hot water already
(See below)

Wild East is Buffalo, btw ....

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 7/20/2015 7:35:03 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2226
RE: General NHL - 7/15/2015 11:43:20 AM   
SoMnFan

Ironically .....Reilly may have had a much easier time getting PT with the defending champs.
Oduya moves like we knew he would.
A thin corps just got really thin.

Stars will love him.
They've built a solid club.
Some huge holes, but some really good players there.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 7/15/2015 11:44:26 AM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2227
RE: General NHL - 7/15/2015 12:08:57 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Ironically .....Reilly may have had a much easier time getting PT with the defending champs.

Stars will love him.

There is some talk that Fletch stealing Reilly from under the Hawks at the last minute was part of what forced the Hawks hand in moving Saad. Chicago was supposedly counting on that signing allowing them to move Seabrook along with Sharp to free up a lot of money. When they lost out on Reilly that option evaporated.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2228
RE: General NHL - 7/15/2015 12:10:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Definitely, IMO.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2229
RE: General NHL - 7/15/2015 1:54:01 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Stars will love him.

There is some talk that Fletch stealing Reilly from under the Hawks at the last minute was part of what forced the Hawks hand in moving Saad. Chicago was supposedly counting on that signing allowing them to move Seabrook along with Sharp to free up a lot of money. When they lost out on Reilly that option evaporated.

Love it!!
Post #: 2230
RE: General NHL - 7/17/2015 1:47:25 PM   
Todd M

Didn't see the mentioned in this thread or Idle talk...though I'm sure most of you are aware...

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/07/13/ryan-oreilly-charged-with-impaired-driving-leaving-scene-of-accident-after-incident-in-ontario/

Just wanted to say that there is basically nothing in Lucan but the Tim Horton's.

Though that area is steeped in a dark history:

http://www.canadianmysteries.ca/sites/donnellys/home/indexen.html

Which I'm guess most of you didn't know....cause you didn't have to read about it in school...

(sorry this thread is no longer 100% Todd free)
Post #: 2231
RE: General NHL - 7/17/2015 2:06:13 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Nope. Never heard of that but it's sad.

As far as O'Reilly, I think we all say it about once every 2 months. "I can't believe these guys don't get a driver/cab".
Post #: 2232
RE: General NHL - 7/17/2015 2:18:27 PM   
Todd M

One of those backwater areas where if you don't crash into something you're likely to get away with drinking and driving. Literally drinking and driving.
Post #: 2233
RE: General NHL - 7/20/2015 7:37:35 PM  1 votes
SoMnFan

Interesting stuff Todd.
Welcome to the thread!

Love that kind of history mystery

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2234
RE: General NHL - 7/23/2015 10:56:29 AM   
Stacey King

By: Matt Larkin

Today marks the 10-year anniversary of the Sidney Crosby draft lottery. We’ve already celebrated by reviewing Sid the Kid’s best career moments. Now it’s time to delve into the 2005 draft. It’s famous for giving us Crosby and Carey Price, two of the best players at their positions this generation. Looking back, though, reveals the 2005 draft class is also memorable for being, well, so forgettable. Drafting Price and other stars such as Anze Kopitar meant navigating a minefield of busts.

A look at 2005’s first round, pick by pick:

1. Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins
2. Bobby Ryan, Anaheim Ducks
3. Jack Johnson, Carolina Hurricanes
4. Benoit Pouliot, Minnesota Wild
5. Carey Price, Montreal Canadiens
6. Gilbert Brule, Columbus Blue Jackets
7. Jack Skille, Chicago Blackhawks
8. Devin Setoguchi, San Jose Sharks
9. Brian Lee, Ottawa Senators
10. Luc Bourdon, Vancouver Canucks
11. Anze Kopitar, Los Angeles Kings
12. Marc Staal, New York Rangers
13. Marek Zagrapan, Buffalo Sabres
14. Sasha Pokulok, Washington Capitals
15. Ryan O’Marra, New York Islanders
16. Alex Bourret, Atlanta Thrashers
17. Martin Hanzal, Phoenix Coyotes
18. Ryan Parent, Nashville Predators
19. Jakub Kindl, Detroit Red Wings
20. Kenndal McArdle, Florida Panthers
21. Tuukka Rask, Toronto Maple Leafs
22. Matt Lashoff, Boston Bruins
23. Niclas Bergfors, New Jersey Devils
24. T.J. Oshie, St. Louis Blues
25. Andrew Cogliano, Edmonton Oilers
26. Matt Pelech, Calgary Flames
27. Joe Finley, Washington Capitals
28. Matt Niskanen, Dallas Stars
29. Steve Downie, Philadelphia Flyers
30. Vladimir Mihalik, Tampa Bay Lightning

Woof. Of that draft class, three first rounders, Zagrapan, Pokulok and Bourret, never played an NHL game. Ten players, or one third, failed to reach 100 NHL games, albeit the late Luc Bourdon would’ve had he not died tragically in a motorcycle accident. The 2005 first round has produced four skaters with at least 300 NHL points. For perspective, the 2004 and 2006 groups each had four 300-point guys in the first five picks alone.

So how about we give the league a do-over on 2005’s first round? The rules: (a) any player from the class’ seven rounds is eligible; (b) draft order stays the same; (c) team needs at the time will be factored in; (d) hindsight is very much 20/20. This is all in good fun.

Here we go.

1. SIDNEY CROSBY, PITTSBURGH PENGUINS (no change)

Crosby was the most hyped prospect in years and has delivered on the hype, with a Stanley Cup and countless individual accolades. This pick remains a no-brainer, so let’s not spend too much time on it.

2. ANZE KOPITAR, ANAHEIM DUCKS (+9)

The Ducks are already two years away from winning a Stanley Cup on the strength of centers Andy McDonald and Ryan Getzlaf, so Kopitar doesn’t put them over the top. They’re already there. Instead, he helps the Ducks stay stronger for longer. They win at least one more Cup under coach Randy Carlyle.

3. KRIS LETANG, CAROLINA HURRICANES (+59)

Grabbing all-around stud defenseman Kris Letang cancels out what would’ve been years of fruitless searches for a bona fide No. 1 defenseman before Justin Faulk comes along. The Canes have to pass on Price since, remember, they’ve drafted a kid named Cam Ward in the first round three years prior.

4. CAREY PRICE, MINNESOTA WILD (+1)

The teams above have Marc-Andre Fleury, Jean-Sebastian Giguere and future starter Ward, so Price only climbs one slot in this hypothetical draft. Price gives the Wild a long-term solution in goal instead of years juggling the likes of Dwayne Roloson, Manny Fernandez, Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding.

5. JONATHAN QUICK, MONTREAL CANADIENS (+67)

Armed with magical knowledge that Quick delivers as a No. 1, Montreal nabs Quick with coveted Price off the board. The question is: do they still trade Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues years later, or does Quick go instead?

6. PAUL STASTNY, COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS (+38)

Desperate to find a center for budding star Rick Nash, GM Doug MacLean ignores his hunch about Gilbert Brule and takes Peter Stastny’s son instead. Paul isn’t a franchise player, but he’s a more than capable pivot for Nash, who has many great years in Columbus – and remains there.

7. JAMES NEAL, CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS (+26)

Already armed with Brent Seabrook and Duncan Keith, the Hawks start looking for scoring up front. They get trigger man James Neal instead of bust Jack Skille. Neal forms a murder’s row of scorers after the Hawks land Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane in the next couple drafts. Does drafting Neal prevent a Marian Hossa signing, though?

8. KEITH YANDLE, SAN JOSE SHARKS (+97)

By the time Yandle breaks into the NHL, ‘Jumbo’ Joe Thornton is still in his prime and racking up points. Yandle benefits on the San Jose power play and posts some monster seasons, flirting with 70 points. Hey, if he could get 59 with the Coyotes…

9. TUUKKA RASK, OTTAWA SENATORS (+12)

Do the stacked Sens win the Stanley Cup in 2007 with Rask in net instead of Ray Emery? Probably not. Rask isn’t NHL-ready yet, and the alternate universe Ducks have already added Kopitar. But if Rask gets to the NHL by 2008-09, maybe the Sens don’t crumble as quickly…

10. MARC-EDOUARD VLASIC, VANCOUVER CANUCKS (+25)

How does Vlasic affect the 2010-11 Canucks’ Stanley Cup run? Since he’s a relatively late-blooming defensive defenseman, maybe he doesn’t cost too much by 2011, meaning Vancouver still acquires the likes of Christian Ehrhoff and Dan Hamhuis. And since this team reached Game 7 as is, does Vlasic put the Canucks over the top? And save the city from rioting?

11. Marc Staal, Los Angeles Kings (+1): Does he go on to do great things with Drew Doughty, or does L.A. pass on Doughty in 2008 because it has Staal?

12. Bobby Ryan, New York Rangers (-10): New Jersey native makes the Hudson River Rivalry that much more interesting.

13. Anton Stralman, Buffalo Sabres (+203): Advanced stats aren’t yet mainstream, and he’s probably shipped off the sinking Sabres before the general public realizes his value.

14. Niklas Hjalmarsson, Washington Capitals (+94): Not an ideal fit when Bruce Boudreau’s run-and-gun ways come to town.

15. T.J. Oshie, New York Islanders (+9): Does he ride shotgun with John Tavares instead of Kyle Okposo?

16. Ben Bishop, Atlanta Thrashers (+69): At the very least, ‘Big Ben’ saves Ondrej Pavelec from years of abuse.

17. Matt Niskanen, Phoenix Coyotes (+11): No trade to Pittsburgh, no padded stats, no big pay day?

18. Cody Franson, Nashville Predators (+61): The only guy besides Crosby who ends up with his real team.

19. Jack Johnson, Detroit Red Wings (-16): Imagine how much better he becomes learning from Nicklas Lidstrom.

20. Martin Hanzal, Florida Panthers (+3): A big forward who toils in obscurity and doesn’t produce as much offense as expected. He wouldn’t be the first Panther first-rounder to do that.

21. Patric Hornqvist, Toronto Maple Leafs

22. Kris Russell, Boston Bruins

23. Andrew Cogliano, New Jersey Devils

24. Vladimir Sobotka, St. Louis Blues

25. Adam McQuaid, Edmonton Oilers

26. Benoit Pouliot, Calgary Flames

27. Sergei Kostitsyn, Washington Capitals

28. Justin Abdelkader, Dallas Stars

29. Darren Helm, Philadelphia Flyers

30. Mason Raymond, Tampa Bay Lightning
Post #: 2235
RE: General NHL - 7/23/2015 11:32:42 AM   
stfrank

As soon as I saw that list I thought....man, we could have had Carey Price and we took Pouliot!?!?!
Post #: 2236
RE: General NHL - 8/6/2015 8:27:50 AM   
joejitsu

I guess the news out of Chicago and Buffalo is that Kane got himself into trouble again. Just when I thought he was growing up, he proves me wrong.
Post #: 2237
RE: General NHL - 8/6/2015 8:53:00 AM   
Jeff Jesser

What happened? I have a lot of built up jokes
Post #: 2238
RE: General NHL - 8/6/2015 11:46:25 AM   
stfrank

Per the Washington Post he is being investigate for rape....no charges have been filed yet the way it sounds.
Post #: 2239
RE: General NHL - 8/6/2015 12:22:09 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

Per the Washington Post he is being investigate for rape....no charges have been filed yet the way it sounds.

I just found out what the allegation was while I was on the road. This guy. It's "funny" when some punk gets drunk and falls down in the street. It's disgusting when a grown man puts himself in the position where this allegation can be made against him. I feel stupid for having backed him up on this board this year.
Post #: 2240
RE: General NHL - 8/6/2015 12:28:09 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: stfrank

I just found out what the allegation was while I was on the road. This guy. It's "funny" when some punk gets drunk and falls down in the street. It's disgusting when a grown man puts himself in the position where this allegation can be made against him. I feel stupid for having backed him up on this board this year.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/13387040/patrick-kane-chicago-blackhawks-subject-police-investigation-new-york

Escape while you can!
Post #: 2241
RE: General NHL - 8/6/2015 8:09:21 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Wow. Whether true or not, I DO NOT have jokes for that. What an awful possibility.
Post #: 2242
RE: General NHL - 8/18/2015 2:22:10 PM   
SoMnFan

Did I see where Danny Briere finally hung em up?
Man some of these guys have been around awhile .... very nice career.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2243
RE: General NHL - 8/20/2015 8:32:57 AM   
stfrank

Since I don't care to re-hash AP for the thousandth time in the Vikes thread I thought I would hang out here for a while....
Anything new about Kane? I haven't seen anything lately, but to be honest haven't really looked either.
Post #: 2244
RE: General NHL - 8/20/2015 12:28:55 PM   
Jeff Jesser

It's is odd how quiet that story has been. Even TSN.ca isn't saying anything.
Post #: 2245
RE: General NHL - 8/21/2015 11:42:21 PM   
SoMnFan

Love the Top Ten D-men list The Hockey Writers put out.
It will get crucified I'm sure, but I see their thinking on most choices.

10. Stralman
9. Leddy
8. Giordano
7. Keith
6. Muzzin
5. Hedman
4. Subban
3. Doughty
2. Ekman-Larsson
1. Karlsson

First, I love lists that don't bow down to popular, old, outdated notions.
Will shock some to not see the usual suspects on it. Suter and Weber to name a few.
Love the Leddy inclusion. I remember getting laughed at awhile back for saying he was much better than most gave him credit for. Glad he is getting some dap.
I'd say Keith is too low on the list, but that's probably because I put so much weight into post season production. Guys a stud and deserves a higher ranking, imo.
Hedman to me is a bit underrated by this. Just a flat-out beast with mad skills. Leads, follows, hits, scores, skates, passes, he's the prototype in my world.
Not a huge Subban fan. I probably penalize him too much for the fact that I don't like him tho. Tons of tools. Passionate and mean.
Doughty has never blown me a way, but I totally get the love. Look up steady and his picture appears.
I've got no problem with Karlsson at the top. See Hedman, with a tad more of every single thing.

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 8/21/2015 11:47:16 PM >

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2246
RE: General NHL - 8/22/2015 8:53:06 AM   
Jeff Jesser

No way on Ekman-Larsson. Can't be #2 in the entire league with -18 rating on a team that didn't make the playoffs. They put him there purely on his offensive ability, IMO.

Giordano is also a no-go for me. Dude has played 61, 47, 64 and 61 in the past 4. Way too much time missed for me.

Outside of that I'm ok but, sorry man, I would bump Leddy down a bit. He just hasn't done it long enough yet for me. If he continues on this pace for another year or two, he's right there in the mix.
Post #: 2247
RE: General NHL - 8/22/2015 1:12:33 PM   
Stacey King

I do like OEL. Mike Smith was horrible last season.

Of the underrated guys I like Roman Josi. Getting better slowly but surely.

Alex Pietrangelo had a down year in 2014/15 but I guess Hitch asked him to play a different way then the previous two seasons when he was a stud on the rise. I expect a bounce back season for him.

Tyson Barrie I don't know what to make of him yet. don't know how good he is in his own end but 41 assists and a plus 5 looks good. Not sure.

People rave about Ryan McDonagh, don't know if that is NY media hype but I just see a shutdown D man only. a very good shutdown D man though.

Aaron Ekblad. If he can avoid the sophomore jinx that should tell a lot. Because he was very impressive as a 18-yr old. He could be THE best for many years running by the time he hits 21 or 22.

Klingberg has offensive flair.

and Hampus Lindholm is just steady good. Makings of a solid under the radar #2 for 10 seasons straight.

Seth Jones looks like he is taking the Hedman path. Incremental improvements for 4 or 5 years then boom....a polished #1 and BIG.
Post #: 2248
RE: General NHL - 8/22/2015 1:41:54 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I think OEL has a nice future but when you have THAT many points are are still a -18 for the season.....yoouuuuch.
Post #: 2249
RE: General NHL - 8/22/2015 3:13:02 PM   
joejitsu

Subban should be where Keith is, and Keith should move up the list a bit.
Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Wild >> RE: General NHL Page: <<   < prev  88 89 [90] 91 92   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode