Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 12/31/2018 3:13:29 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Big road loss at Michigan

L#1 on the year.

Their struggles shooting the ball (from basically everywhere - including the line) finally caught up to them.

Shame, because Michigan was a very beatable team.
Post #: 501
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/7/2019 7:08:57 AM   
SoMnFan

Uh-ohhhhhhhh Lindsay is suddenly lookin kinda Minnysooooooodan all of a sudden.
Post #: 502
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/7/2019 7:21:36 AM   
Phil Riewer

One of their best 3-point shooters is hopefully back soon from the foot injury.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 503
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/7/2019 9:38:33 AM   
TJSweens

That was a huge collapse. They blew a 17 point lead in 8 minutes.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 504
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/7/2019 9:41:17 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

That was a huge collapse. They blew a 17 point lead in 8 minutes.

To a team that had lost something like 29 straight B10 road games I hear?

The Whalens dog had a rough night last night I fear.
Post #: 505
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/10/2019 8:34:44 AM   
TJSweens

Damn, now an 18 point loss to Michigan State. The inability to shoot is just killing them in Big Ten play. They were 1-11 from 3 point range last night. Lindsay has her work cut out for her if she is going to turn this around.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 506
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/10/2019 8:48:37 AM   
SoMnFan

Will be fun to watch our Queen pull out of this mess.
Post #: 507
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/14/2019 7:34:17 PM   
twinsfan

This team has issues. Getting blown out by Iowa at the Barn.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 508
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/15/2019 10:43:46 AM   
TJSweens

Playing a slew of human sacrifices in the off season, concealed a lot of flaws in this team. They are definitely not deep at all. Bell, Pitts and Bello pretty much have to carry the load. Lamke can provide some post offense, but adds nothing else to the mix. No interior defense. Meghan Gustafson methodically destroyed them in the paint. Iowa is always a solid to very good team, and Bluder is a good coach, but the Gophers shouldn't have been blown out of their own building by this team.

Post #: 509
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/15/2019 12:37:33 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

This team has issues. Getting blown out by Iowa at the Barn.

Our gal was interviewed on TC TV the other night
I seriously feared for the interviewers life.
She looks like she hasn't slept in a month.
Post #: 510
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 1/18/2019 7:27:53 AM   
SoMnFan

Lindsay and the gals pick up a win in MadTown
She was on PA the other day, sounded much better than I expected
She's pretty realistic and willing to work on this thing.
Post #: 511
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/18/2019 10:16:55 AM   
TJSweens

After a brutal start to the Big Ten season, the Gophers have rattled off 6 straight wins. Whalen switched it up to a small ball lineup, including moving Destiny Pitts all the way to the 4, where her shot has come alive. Saturday's win was against a bad Penn State team, but a 30 point beat down of any team is impressive. I'm not sure if Gadiva Hubbard is still returning this year. On one hand, she could really help down the stretch. On the other hand, they may just want to red shirt her this year, so that she has 2 full years of eligibility left.

Post #: 512
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/21/2019 12:11:12 PM   
MDK

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26033661/south-dakota-vs-south-dakota-state-see-matchup

This Sunday, USD plays SDSU in Brookings in a huge women's BB game. USD won in Vermillion earlier this year.

This is an ESPN article on the matchup

South Dakota vs. South Dakota State is a must-see matchup

Junior guard Ciara Duffy leads South Dakota, which is No. 23 in this week's AP Top 25 and No. 1 in espnw's mid-major ranking, into Sunday's clash with South Dakota State, which is expected to be the best mid-major game of the season.

How does a state with the fifth-smallest population in the United States produce Sunday's showdown between South Dakota and South Dakota State (ESPN+, 2 p.m. ET)? How does a state with fewer people than the city of Jacksonville, Florida, produce the top two teams in the espnW mid-major rankings: South Dakota, at No. 1 after wins against Missouri and Iowa State, and South Dakota State, close on the heels of its Summit League rival after pushing Baylor and Oregon?

Sunday's matinee might not remake the S-curve in the NCAA tournament bracket, but it features two teams that none of the favorites wants to see coming to town in March. South Dakota and South Dakota State are two teams any basketball fan will enjoy watching in February.

South Dakota has a population of roughly 870,000 -- but the math doesn't work. Maine, Montana and Rhode Island don't do this. All have larger populations. For that matter, New York and Pennsylvania might struggle to match South Dakota's top two teams.

Forget population. Focus on the populace. Then maybe Sunday begins to make sense.

Perhaps start with the Duffy sisters, who grew up in Rapid City in the state's Black Hills region. Five sisters -- enough to put their own team on the court or fuel their own dynasty.

South Dakota stays on top of espnW mid-major top 10 poll
Summit League rivals South Dakota and South Dakota State are Nos. 1 and 2. Rice, Gonzaga and Florida Gulf Coast round out the top five.

Women's bracketology: Baylor, UConn, Louisville, Oregon on top
Mississippi State, NC State, Notre Dame and Stanford are No. 2 seeds, with the Irish in the Albany Regional behind No. 1 seed UConn.

Notre Dame moves up S-curve, but is it Albany or Greensboro?
Notre Dame has supplanted Mississippi State as No. 5 overall on the S-curve, and the Irish should be the No. 2 in Albany instead of in Greensboro.

Ciara Duffy -- the fifth of eight siblings in all and the third-oldest daughter -- first watched her older brothers play basketball during the long winter months. Then she saw sisters Caitlin and Moira play for St. Thomas More High School. She saw them win the school's first state title together. Five more titles followed, almost all with a Duffy on the court.

"That was the first time I had seen higher-level girls basketball," Ciara said of her older sisters. "And then seeing my two older sisters go on and play in college, it was kind of eye-opening. It was suddenly like I could use this thing that I love, this game that I love playing, to go to different places and get to experience all these incredible things and meet these new people."

Caitlin played at South Dakota after a season at Colorado State, and Moira played at the University of Sioux Falls, a Division II school in the state. (Younger sister Aislin is a freshman at Augustana University, another Division II school in Sioux Falls.) Ciara followed their lead, sharing time on the court at South Dakota with Caitlin for one season and now leading the team on her own.

A 6-foot-1 player who has played every role from point guard to post in a largely position-less system, Ciara might now be the best player most fans have never seen. They would be well advised to remedy that on Sunday. In the first meeting between the Summit League rivals this season, a 105-98 double-overtime South Dakota win, Duffy totaled 28 points, nine rebounds and seven assists in 49 minutes.

There aren't many players with her Swiss Army Knife array of skills. There aren't many families that produce four (and counting) daughters who play college basketball.

Yet the state has so many similar stories. It started in Rapid City for the Duffys. For South Dakota State star Macy Miller, it was Mitchell, South Dakota. It was Letcher, South Dakota, for rising Jack standout Myah Selland.

While their neighbors to the north once ruled Division II -- North Dakota and North Dakota State won a combined eight national championships in the 1990s -- South Dakota and South Dakota State had success at that level. Both then adapted well to Division I, with South Dakota State an NCAA tournament regular the past decade and South Dakota the WNIT champion in 2016.

There was ample talent for the programs to be consistently good -- and often excellent.

Ciara Duffy's older sister, Caitlin Duffy, played for South Dakota from 2015 to '18. In 2017-18, they helped the Coyotes become the first undefeated Summit League champion in 24 years. South Dakota Athletics

Ciara was right that the game could take her places. With a 4.0 GPA and an academic focus in political science and history at South Dakota, she studied abroad in Russia this past summer. But where she is from matters to her. It mattered to see South Dakota ranked in the Top 25. It mattered to get the text from Caitlin with words of praise for carrying on the program's legacy.

"I think depending on where you go, people don't even know where South Dakota is. Some people still think we ride in horse-drawn carriages to school," Duffy said. "But I think most people think it's pretty small and don't really know what goes on here.

"I think it's kind of cool, too, because sometimes those bigger teams come in here, and they're sort of surprised with South Dakota in general. We're kind of a hidden gem."

But not hidden Sunday.

Tonight the USD woment play Denver in Vermillion.
Last fall, the USD women had a gpa of 3.64 with 5 players earing a 4.0

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 513
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/21/2019 12:20:53 PM   
TJSweens

Screw South Dakota! Nothing but Republicans, prairie dogs and chemists.

Post #: 514
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/21/2019 12:50:58 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

After a brutal start to the Big Ten season, the Gophers have rattled off 6 straight wins. Whalen switched it up to a small ball lineup, including moving Destiny Pitts all the way to the 4, where her shot has come alive. Saturday's win was against a bad Penn State team, but a 30 point beat down of any team is impressive. I'm not sure if Gadiva Hubbard is still returning this year. On one hand, she could really help down the stretch. On the other hand, they may just want to red shirt her this year, so that she has 2 full years of eligibility left.

This just in
Lindsay Whalen is the bomb
Post #: 515
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/21/2019 12:52:04 PM   
SoMnFan

Very very cool stuff Miles.

Love the stats in there ... no other small state can boast that kind of surplus of good BB

I remember watching the last time we saw each other (with Murf) ... some damn good ball.
Post #: 516
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/21/2019 8:09:15 PM   
Mr. Ed

Lose at the end

Team needs more depth but should fix that with a real coach.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 517
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/22/2019 8:04:25 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Lose at the end

Had em
Had em and let en off the hook

Lindsay will soon build this thing into a power
Post #: 518
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 2/22/2019 8:41:46 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

Lose at the end

Had em
Had em and let en off the hook

Lindsay will soon build this thing into a power

You mean ... THEY WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE AND WE LET EM OFF THE HOOK!!!

Post #: 519
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/2/2019 7:02:59 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

Paige Bueckers goes to U Conn. As I said when the Jones brothers went to Duke, I hope the scoreboard falls on her. Yes, I'm a petty, vindictive man.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 4/2/2019 8:23:58 AM >

Post #: 520
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/2/2019 7:21:51 AM   
SoMnFan

In the same boat Sweens
I thought with Lindsay on board, she'd want to stay
Nope
Post #: 521
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/2/2019 9:53:49 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

In the same boat Sweens
I thought with Lindsay on board, she'd want to stay
Nope

I'm with you guys. These type of players could totally help their home team rise to the top. Instead they go to a team that doesn't need them at all.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 522
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/3/2019 8:41:53 AM   
SoMnFan

I had thought this year seemed different, but ultimately, it was maybe worse … with Minnesotans sprinkled everywhere across the country, helping their teams in the NCAAs
Males and females
If somehow they all stayed and went to the U, we might be incredible at some point.
I realize we don't have room for them all, but we have to make these programs appeal to the blue chippers.
Post #: 523
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/3/2019 10:25:40 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I had thought this year seemed different, but ultimately, it was maybe worse … with Minnesotans sprinkled everywhere across the country, helping their teams in the NCAAs
Males and females
If somehow they all stayed and went to the U, we might be incredible at some point.
I realize we don't have room for them all, but we have to make these programs appeal to the blue chippers.

Funny how a smaller than average state like Minnesota can produce enough home grown talent that if we got it all we could be highly competitive not recruiting anywhere else. Is that the way it is? How good are we at stealing from other places? Do we gain more or less than we lose?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/3/2019 10:27:01 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 524
RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) - 4/24/2019 2:35:50 PM   
Phil Riewer

Lindsay Whalen

Verified account

@Lindsay_13
5h5 hours ago
More
From Minsk, Belarus ➡️ Panola College ➡️ The University of Minnesota, help us welcome Maryia “Masha” Adashchyk to our Gopher family!

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 525
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Womens) Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode