Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 11:12:11 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I got a good laugh out of the shots of Rick Pitino sitting behind the Gophers bench, yelling out instructions while Rich had the team assembled during timeouts. I kept waiting for him to look up and go "will you shut-up".

Me too, almost wondering who was the real coach. It's almost like he's grooming his son to be his replacement.

Rick always talks about Richard building his own legacy at Minnesota. I just think its a case of not being able to turn off the coaching instincts.
Post #: 4401
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 11:18:42 AM   
Lynn G.

That's what I thought too - he just can't help himself, and I don't blame him. When you've been coaching a sport for so long and you're sitting courtside at a game that's extremely important for your own son, I would imagine that he couldn't hold back the temptation to "express himself." I thought it was funny.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 4402
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 11:32:53 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

A very solid first year for Pitino, the kid can coach. Now he needs to recruit. We need to entice Minnesota's top talent to stay home and poach a few good kids from other locations. We need more size, skill and overall athleticism to really compete with the big boys.

Sure it's the consolation tournament, but this NIT run can only help make them better next year. When you have a situation with a new coach especially, I'd think these extra games and practices would be a very worthwhile thing.

Not a bad year for his first year. That 1 week stretch where they lost to Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue all by close margins just killed them. Win those 3 and you're a shoe-in to the NCAA. Frustrating to be so close, but they have nobody but themselves to blame.
Post #: 4403
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 12:14:24 PM   
David Levine

Our 31 year old coach just won 25 games and an NIT championship in his first season with marginal talent, no legitimate PF and not a lot of strength around the basket.
Post #: 4404
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 12:49:56 PM   
Jeff Jesser

And, what was supposed to be one our biggest threats hurt for a good chunk of the year.
Post #: 4405
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 1:12:08 PM   
Bill Jandro

Congrad's to Pitino and the Gopher squad.

I sure hope this is a step to becoming a relevent Div 1 contender in years to come

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4406
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 3:58:49 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

A very solid first year for Pitino, the kid can coach. Now he needs to recruit. We need to entice Minnesota's top talent to stay home and poach a few good kids from other locations. We need more size, skill and overall athleticism to really compete with the big boys.

Sure it's the consolation tournament, but this NIT run can only help make them better next year. When you have a situation with a new coach especially, I'd think these extra games and practices would be a very worthwhile thing.

Not a bad year for his first year. That 1 week stretch where they lost to Nebraska, Northwestern and Purdue all by close margins just killed them. Win those 3 and you're a shoe-in to the NCAA. Frustrating to be so close, but they have nobody but themselves to blame.

I don't see how your reply to my post has anything to do with what I said.

That said, I agree that those 3 losses were big, if memory serves, they all happened when Andre was injured, which is why I felt they deserved a little more consideration than they probably got from the committee. However, Dre wasn't the same after the injury.
Post #: 4407
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 4:03:04 PM   
Mr. Ed

Saw a ? on one of the talking-head stations.

Was it better to get to the finals of the NIT, or would you rather have been in the NCAA tourney and get wiped out?

I think for less-experienced guys,more games was better.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4408
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 7:10:16 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Was it better to get to the finals of the NIT, or would you rather have been in the NCAA tourney and get wiped out?

I believe Baylor and Their opponent in last years NIT final both made the sweet 16 this year. So yes, playing more games is better and the confidence in winning the tourney can't hurt either

Post #: 4409
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/4/2014 7:47:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

JMO.

Quick exit from NCAA's = instant glory that fades

Winning the NIT = long term building of the program

Let's all be honest. This group wasn't supposed to do either this year.
Post #: 4410
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 7:23:51 AM   
drew

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Our 31 year old coach just won 25 games and an NIT championship in his first season with marginal talent, no legitimate PF and not a lot of strength around the basket.

And his best player being a shell of himself from last year. This was a pretty encouraging year, as you already said DL. I hope Dre gets healthy for next year, and gets right mentally. He did play better in the Garden than he had been.

Pitino needs to get a big time PG recruit next year. We are so reliant on Mathieu to create, and we have no one else who can do what he can do. I don't believe any of the incoming recruits are true PG's either (I've heard Mason is more of a combo). It seems like Pitino's system puts a lot of demands on the PG.

Finally, I was so happy for Austin for how he finished his career. I had my moments of frustration watching him, but he really made himself into a good player. Very good defender, good outside shooter, rebounds well, just does all the little things. I believe he really maximized his ability. It was awesome when he drilled that 3 that gave us the lead for good, and pretty cool for a senior to get MVP of the tourney. Nice way to go out.
Post #: 4411
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 7:45:48 AM   
lylej

quote:

ORIGINAL: drew

quote:

And his best player being a shell of himself from last year. This was a pretty encouraging year, as you already said DL. I hope Dre gets healthy for next year, and gets right mentally. He did play better in the Garden than he had been.

Pitino needs to get a big time PG recruit next year. We are so reliant on Mathieu to create, and we have no one else who can do what he can do. I don't believe any of the incoming recruits are true PG's either (I've heard Mason is more of a combo). It seems like Pitino's system puts a lot of demands on the PG.

Finally, I was so happy for Austin for how he finished his career. I had my moments of frustration watching him, but he really made himself into a good player. Very good defender, good outside shooter, rebounds well, just does all the little things. I believe he really maximized his ability. It was awesome when he drilled that 3 that gave us the lead for good, and pretty cool for a senior to get MVP of the tourney. Nice way to go out.

Ditto....Austin was "The Man" on most nights, and deserves all the credits he garners.
MVP in the NIT was the "Frosting on the Cake"!!

Good pitching will beat good hitting any time, and vice versa.
Post #: 4412
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 9:44:54 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

JMO.

Quick exit from NCAA's = instant glory that fades

Winning the NIT = long term building of the program

Let's all be honest. This group wasn't supposed to do either this year.

Perfectly said
Nice stuff too drew.
Wcco was doing the "which is better" thingy last night.
Silly question IMO.
End with a win
Only two teams get to.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4413
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 11:04:35 AM   
David Levine

quote:

He'll probably go down as one of the most underrated Gophers of all time.
Post #: 4414
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 2:18:41 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Post #: 4415
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 2:20:09 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

Agreed
Was a great piece when surrounded by decent players, was a warrior when he had very little around him.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4416
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 2:20:54 PM   
SoMnFan

Big Mo impressed me the last game and a half.
Was a presence.
Man, the game is easier when you have one of those.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4417
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 2:21:41 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

There were times he was awesome and other times he seemed to disappear, especially against tougher competition. I was frustrated with his inconsistency and frankly expected more from him throughout his career. I think he is a little too passive at times to get the most out of his ability.

That said, I am very happy for him that he ended his career on a high note.
Post #: 4418
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/5/2014 8:51:49 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Yeah i don't think there is a one size fits all answer to that. But a young squad with a first year coach trying to build some cohesiveness and structure, yeah I think it's better for the future of the program to win the NIT.
Post #: 4419
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/8/2014 2:07:57 AM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I believe Baylor and Their opponent in last years NIT final both made the sweet 16 this year. So yes, playing more games is better and the confidence in winning the tourney can't hurt either

Not true
Post #: 4420
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/9/2014 11:39:40 AM   
Mr. Ed

Just got done talking w/ Pitino. Said Andre Hollins will get hips checked. More than his ankle was bothering him. Never was 100%.

Doogie/ESPN 1500

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4421
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/9/2014 4:39:53 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

Not true

I heard it on espn radio that the two NIT finalists last season made the sweet 16 of the big dance this year. I did not look it up I assume they did.

Post #: 4422
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/9/2014 4:41:50 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Just got done talking w/ Pitino. Said Andre Hollins will get hips checked. More than his ankle was bothering him. Never was 100%.

Doogie/ESPN 1500

I thought Andre was the better Hollins but I could easily be mixing them up. Does Andre have one or two seasons of elegibility left?

Post #: 4423
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/9/2014 4:50:54 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

Doogie/ESPN 1500

I thought Andre was the better Hollins but I could easily be mixing them up. Does Andre have one or two seasons of elegibility left?

Austin's done(lionel's son) and Andre will be a senior next year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 4424
RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/10/2014 7:46:36 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

Doogie/ESPN 1500

Andre was usually the better of the 2 but not after coming back from injury against Wisc.
Post #: 4425
Page:   <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  175 176 [177] 178 179   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode