Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  218 219 [220] 221 222   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/21/2017 5:18:32 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

WASHINGTON NAMED MR. NEW YORK BASKETBALL
March 20, 2017

University of Minnesota signee Isaiah Washington (Harlem, N.Y./St. Raymond's HS) was selected the top prep player in the state of New York Monday, earning Mr. New York Basketball honors. The award was announced by the Basketball Coaches Association of New York, Inc. Isaiah was selected at the end of a two part process: (1) voting by BCANY and media members and (2) BCANY Committee deliberations.

The Mr. New York Basketball award is presented by the Basketball Coaches Association of New York, Inc, which consists of basketball coaches at the scholastic and collegiate levels from throughout the entire state. The Mr. Basketball Award is widely viewed as the top award that a high school basketball player in New York State can receive.

Washington averaged 26 ppg and 6 assist per game. He is St. Raymond's all-time leading scorer at 1,410 points. He had a 48 and 54 point performance this season. He was the Co MVP in the Elite 24 All Star Game. He was nominated for the McDonald's All American game.

He will become the 32nd Gopher to win Mr. Basketball in their home state, and the first to hail from New York.

Washington, along with guard Jamir Harris (North Brunswick, N.J./The Patrick School), signed their National Letters of Intent in November to join the Gophers for the upcoming season.

You would think the top player in the state of NY would be a top 20 player in the nation, however last I heard he was ranked 92.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5476
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/22/2017 4:51:01 PM   
David Levine

Marcus R. Fuller‏ @Marcus_R_Fuller 1h1 hour ago
At Target Center to see @CDHraiders junior star and #Gophers recruit Daniel Oturu play in the state tourney vs. Apple Valley

Marcus R. Fuller‏ @Marcus_R_Fuller 23m23 minutes ago
Oturu is a serious game changer. AV can't score at the rim with his presence. Already a double-double in first half 10pts, 12 rebs & 4 blks

Ryan James‏ @RyanJamesMN 23m23 minutes ago
That's 12 rebounds for Daniel Oturu in 15 minutes so far. He had 25rbs vs AV last time. Also has completed 3 one dribble attacks to the rim
Post #: 5477
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/29/2017 9:54:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Gophers sophomore forward Ahmad Gilbert, a rarely used reserve, is transferring, the team announced Tuesday.

Gilbert, a 6-foot-6 native of Philadelphia, averaged 1.7 points in five minutes per game this season. He appeared in 36 games with six starts during the 2015-16 season.

"Ahmad has been a consummate teammate throughout his time here, and a big part of our team’s success,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said in a statement. “His energy and spirit both on and off the court have been extremely valuable to me and our team. I am sure he will achieve great things as he continues his career.”

Gilbert will have two years of eligibility remaining. His transfer opens a scholarship up for the Gophers for the 2017 recruiting class that includes guards Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris.
Post #: 5478
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/7/2017 3:15:45 PM   
Mr. Ed

Minnesota Mr. Basketball and Champlin Park senior McKinley Wright has asked to be released from his signed letter of intent to Dayton, he tweeted in a statement Friday.

Wright, the Star Tribune All-Metro player of the year, signed with the Flyers in November. But Archie Miller left last month to become the head coach at Indiana. Dayton’s new coach Anthony Grant is expected to meet with Wright soon.

“After talking with my family, friends and [AAU coach] Al Harris, I’ve decided to request for my release from Dayton University and reopen my recruitment,” Wright tweeted. “Dayton remains a program that I will strongly consider. I feel that it’s in my best interest to explore all opportunities with the current change of events.”

The 6-foot-1 point guard averaged 23 points, eight rebounds and seven assists per game this season for 31-1 Champlin Park, which finished runner-up in the Class 4A state tournament.

The Gophers previously offered Wright a scholarship, but they have signed St. Raymond’s High School (N.Y.) point guard Isaiah Washington, decreasing the chances of Wright coming to Minnesota.

Wright also had offers from Illinois, Memphis and Xavier, among others

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5479
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/11/2017 10:12:08 PM   
SoMnFan

Gophers coach Richard Pitino was looking to add to the 2017 recruiting class and he picked up a big man from Louisville and his father, Rick Pitino.

Cardinals junior center Matz Stockman (first name pronounced Motts) is transferring to Minnesota after the spring semester, Louisville announced Tuesday morning. The 7-foot, 240-pound Norway native will have one year of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2017-18 season.

The Gophers confirmed to be recruiting Stockman, but they cannot announce his official transfer until his paperwork comes through. The spring signing period begins Wednesday.

"I've had a great time at Louisville the last three years," Stockman said in a statement. "I've learned a lot, gotten to know a great many people and have become very close with our coaches and players. I'm incredibly grateful for my time here. I've improved a lot since I first arrived and I will be forever grateful to Coach Pitino, the coaching staff and for everyone involved around our team. However, I've been looking for an opportunity to play quality minutes for a long time now and I think this will be a great situation for me."

Stockman played 18 games this season, averaging 1.7 points and 1.2 rebounds in 4.1 minutes per game. He scored a career-high 10 points and grabbed three rebounds in a Dec. 3 win against Grand Canyon. He played in 23 games as a sophomore in 2015-16 and four games his freshman season in 2014-15.

Before coming to the U.S., Stockman played one season at the Canarias Basketball Academy in Gran Canaria in Spain's Canary Islands during the 2013-14 season. Gophers junior center Gaston Diedhiou also played at CBA before coming to pursue a college basketball career in the states.

"Matz has been a great team member with our basketball team and we appreciate his efforts," Rick Pitino said in a statement "Transferring to Minnesota is a great move for him, as he'll have an opportunity to make an immediate impact when he becomes eligible to play."

The Gophers had an open scholarship for next season after sophomore forward Ahmad Gilbert was allowed to transfer. Stockman joins the 2017 recruiting class that includes four-star St. Raymond (N.Y.) point guard Isaiah Washington and three-star Patrick School (N.J.) guard Jamir Harris.

In 2018-19, Stockman could compete for the starting center spot to replace Reggie Lynch. Minnesota also will be bringing in 6-10 Cretin-Derham Hall big man Daniel Oturu as a freshman.
Post #: 5480
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2017 9:43:03 AM   
Karl Juhnke

It's a win/win/win for everyone. This guy was not a star there and likely will not be a star here. But he is 7'0 and anyone 7'0 who has a even a minimum amount of athletic ability can make a few million dollars as a NBA backup center for two or three years. He needs more significant minutes to showcase himself in his final season though. He wasn't going to get it at Louisville, but he can add depth in the middle at Minnesota, which is needed here.

The Pitinos did this guy a favor. I was ready to be mad about father dumping off his garbage on the son. But it makes sense for everyone.
Post #: 5481
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/12/2017 10:48:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke
It's a win/win/win for everyone. This guy was not a star there and likely will not be a star here. But he is 7'0 and anyone 7'0 who has a even a minimum amount of athletic ability can make a few million dollars as a NBA backup center for two or three years. He needs more significant minutes to showcase himself in his final season though. He wasn't going to get it at Louisville, but he can add depth in the middle at Minnesota, which is needed here.
The Pitinos did this guy a favor. I was ready to be mad about father dumping off his garbage on the son. But it makes sense for everyone.

I think the transfer year will be the best thing for him....working with Lynch and Konate will do wonders.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5482
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/13/2017 9:14:57 PM   
Mr. Ed

Having lost six of his top eight players to transfers and failing to land any noteworthy recruits as replacements, Memphis coach Tubby Smith was in desperate need of a PR win to assuage the concerns of Tigers fans.

Smith was gifted one on Thursday when one of those transfers said goodbye to the program in embarrassingly graceless fashion.

In a Snapchat video captured by the Twitter account @PeopleofMemphis, redshirt freshman K.J. Lawson shouted into the camera, “This is what we do when we leave Tubby. F— Tubby.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/k-j-lawsons-graceless-goodbye-snapchat-video-cussing-tubby-smith-210457723.html

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5483
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 4/14/2017 9:14:07 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed
Having lost six of his top eight players to transfers and failing to land any noteworthy recruits as replacements, Memphis coach Tubby Smith was in desperate need of a PR win to assuage the concerns of Tigers fans.
Smith was gifted one on Thursday when one of those transfers said goodbye to the program in embarrassingly graceless fashion.
In a Snapchat video captured by the Twitter account @PeopleofMemphis, redshirt freshman K.J. Lawson shouted into the camera, “This is what we do when we leave Tubby. F— Tubby.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/k-j-lawsons-graceless-goodbye-snapchat-video-cussing-tubby-smith-210457723.html

No surprise...Tubby struggled to recruit top 100 talent and the ones he did recruit he didn't make them better at MN either...

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 4/14/2017 9:22:44 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5484
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/3/2017 12:02:31 PM   
TJSweens

How about that. Just 1 short year after many people wanted him shown the door, Little Ricky gets a contract extension. I admit that I was on the fence with him. After the 8-23 season, I really wondered if he could coach at this level or if we had another Monson in over head.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 5/3/2017 3:40:10 PM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5485
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/3/2017 2:00:42 PM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19302873/richard-pitino-agrees-one-year-extension-2022-minnesota-golden-gophers

Richard Pitino has agreed to a one-year contract extension through the 2021-22 season with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, the school announced Wednesday.

Pitino, 34, led the Gophers to a 24-10 record and a berth in the NCAA tournament last season, earning him Big Ten Coach of the Year honors. Minnesota had set a record for losses the previous season by finishing 8-23.

"I am extremely grateful to be the head coach at such a prestigious university. My family and I love living in the Twin Cities and look forward to continuing to build a strong men's basketball program on and off the court," said Pitino via statement. "I have loved getting to know and working with (athletic director) Mark Coyle this past year. Mark and President Kaler's commitment to athletics is second to none. The future of Gopher basketball is very bright and I am excited to be a part of it."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5486
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/5/2017 10:38:33 AM   
Karl Juhnke

And it's not just the one season turnaround, which was commendable. But the immediate future looks bright as well. They did this turnaround without losing any significant players for next year, and with highly rated recruits coming in to add much needed depth.
Post #: 5487
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/24/2017 8:54:39 AM   
TJSweens

Davonte Fitzgerald gets a medical red shirt for last season. He now has 2 years of eligibility left. Pitino expects him to be cleared for contact in June.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5488
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/24/2017 12:12:58 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Davonte Fitzgerald gets a medical red shirt for last season. He now has 2 years of eligibility left. Pitino expects him to be cleared for contact in June.

Is he any good?
Edit: I did some checking. Seems like IF he can stay healthy he will be above average.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/25/2017 11:56:05 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5489
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/20/2017 8:35:17 AM   
SoMnFan

The first time Isaiah Washington checked into the game at Monday’s Twin Cities Pro Am, the couple of hundred fans in the crowd at DeLaSalle High School gave him resounding applause.

That was before the highly touted Gophers incoming freshman even gave them a glimpse of why he’s the New York Mr. Basketball and a social media star as the co-founder of the Jelly Fam club.

It took only his first offensive possession for the “oohs and aahs” to come as the 6-1 Harlem native had his defender dancing to keep up with his flashy ball-handling and spin moves.

A few minutes into the second quarter, Washington cut to the lane and finished with one of his trademark “Jelly” finger rolls, which started his online fame last year. Through three quarters, he already had scored all of his 25 points, which included a 360-degree layup, a few three-pointers and a transition dunk.

Gophers fans definitely got what they wanted to see in Washington’s Twin Cities debut. The top incoming recruit for Richard Pitino could be an impact reserve for a 24-win Minnesota team that returns All-Big Ten senior point guard Nate Mason.

“I didn’t expect a crowd like this for the first game, but it helped to have all of the Gophers players, especially Isaiah,” said Jamar Diggs, Twin Cities Pro Am founder and former DeLaSalle standout. “Hopefully, we can make it like this the whole summer.”

Gophers senior center Reggie Lynch had a double-double in the pro-am opener.

Gophers senior center Reggie Lynch had a double-double in the pro-am opener.

Not since Pitino’s first year with the Gophers had his players been in a local pro-am. The Howard Pulley league that previously hosted top college, professional and high school talent ended a two-decade run in 2013. The Twin Cities Pro Am attempted to pick up the slack last summer, but it didn’t have NCAA certification until this year.

Diggs knew he could take his league to another level if he was able to get current Gophers players involved. Diggs met with Pitino and his assistants last week to make sure the league met the school’s compliance standards. Gophers coaches aren’t allowed to be in attendance, but they hoped to get specific U players paired together.

Washington and Jordan Murphy, returning junior All-Big Ten forward, came straight from workouts at the U. All eyes were on them as they walked into the gym just before the first game started. Gophers starting center Reggie Lynch and Murphy both had double-doubles Monday. But they took a back seat to Washington’s crowd-pleasing game.

On three consecutive possessions in the second half, Washington dribbled around and scored against different defenders who wanted a chance to shut him down. Eventually, former DeLaSalle and Wofford guard Cameron Rundles tried to do his own version of a “Jelly” finger roll on the opposing team. He pointed to Washington, who laughed from the bench.

Watch highlights of Washington's debut

Murphy, Lynch and Mason shined in their Pro Am debuts, showing why Pitino had a 16-win improvement and NCAA tournament appearance last season. Freshman Jamir Harris, a shooting guard from New Jersey, also showed off his deep range, scoring 23 points in his debut.

But Washington generated the most excitement on a night when Gophers hoops was again the main attraction.

“I really didn’t get see him, because I was walking around making sure things were in order,” Diggs said. “But I’m sure I’ll see his highlights on Twitter.”
Post #: 5490
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/20/2017 8:42:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

Fun

A dynamic PG

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5491
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/20/2017 10:26:42 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Fun

A dynamic PG

Program has to remember back to that last devastating loss in the tourney.
Complete lack of swagger by a team that was supposed to have some.
Need an infusion of that this year. This kid seems to be a good start in that direction.
Post #: 5492
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/20/2017 10:46:09 AM   
TJSweens

Washington is supposed be a throw back to the classic New York City point guard. It's not enough to beat your man. You want to give him such a thrashing that he is scarred for life. This is going to be fun. It may only be a 1 year run, but it's going to be fun.

Post #: 5493
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/20/2017 10:56:44 AM   
SoMnFan

well put.
I've seen a few of those.
Post #: 5494
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/20/2017 3:50:38 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

well put.
I've seen a few of those.

You WERE one of those.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5495
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 6/21/2017 8:48:09 AM   
SoMnFan

Nah, I'm not TOO scarred.
Post #: 5496
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/17/2017 8:42:52 AM   
SoMnFan

Gophs lose Race Thompson to Indiana?

< Message edited by SoMnFan -- 7/17/2017 8:43:56 AM >
Post #: 5497
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/17/2017 12:17:41 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

It's ok. There's always next year.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5498
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/17/2017 12:52:27 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Weird situation with him:

The Minnesota Gophers have been pursuing two local power forwards for the 2018 recruiting class. Race Thompson and Jarvis Thomas are both very talented kids with multiple Power 5 offers. Richard Pitino and staff have been targeting both with the intent of only taking one.

This weekend it became public that Thompson, son of Gopher football great Darrell Thompson, has been taking a heavy load of summer classes intending to graduate this summer, reclassifying to the class of 2017 and enrolling this Fall. I first learned of this twist from Ryan James at GopherIllustrated.

With the reclassification that made things dicey for the Gophers to take Thompson’s commitment, if that were to be his choice. There are just no scholarships available for the Gophers in the 2017 class. Leaving the Gopher’s with the option of running off a scholarship player in order to land Thompson, or tell him that they’d love to have him but he’d have to pay his own way for a year. From Ryan James...

With Minnesota not having scholarships open for him Race would of had to pay his way for a year to be a Gopher this fall. This news came to Minnesota in June and they aren't willing to just dump a guy off their team that they have committed to.

This essentially left Iowa State and Indiana as the final two who could still take Thompson. And then the Twitter announcement came.

Thompson chooses Indiana, where Archie Miller is trying to fill out his roster and get that Hoosier ship turned around again. So the Thompson family now has a father who is a Gopher legend, a mother who played volleyball at Iowa, a daughter who played volleyball for Wisconsin, a son who is currently playing JUCO football and now Race who will be attending Indiana. This is a Big Ten legacy family. Best of luck to Race as a Hoosier.

So what comes next for the Gophers?

Jarvis Thomas is making his collegiate announcement on Tuesday evening. It is largely expected that he will choose the Gophers. Much more to come on Jarvis but the short analysis is that he is a very active and athletic power forward who excels defensively and on the offensive glass.

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/7/17/15981832/minnesota-basketball-recruiting-race-thompson-indiana-jarvis-thomas
Post #: 5499
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 7/17/2017 1:01:24 PM   
SoMnFan

Got to meet Darrell Thompson last year
Class act, wow what a legacy.
Very cool.
Post #: 5500
Page:   <<   < prev  218 219 [220] 221 222   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  218 219 [220] 221 222   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode