Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  220 221 [222] 223 224   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/29/2017 9:33:24 AM   
TJSweens

He had some of my favorite sideline histrionics in college basketball history. My favorite Judd Heathcote memory was him getting mad and slamming the ball down as hard as he could, only to have it bounce back up and hit him in the face.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 5526
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/31/2017 4:15:25 PM   
David Levine

Marcus R. Fuller‏ @Marcus_R_Fuller 4m4 minutes ago
#Gophers soph Eric Curry will miss the 2017-18 season after tearing his ACL, MCL & meniscus left knee, per team. He was a backup center & PF
Post #: 5527
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/31/2017 4:15:56 PM   
David Levine

Post #: 5528
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 8/31/2017 9:56:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

That really hurts..top defender inside with Lynch. Very good scorer too.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5529
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/1/2017 6:30:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

That really hurts..top defender inside with Lynch. Very good scorer too.

Agreed. Was expecting him to take a big leap forward this year also.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 5530
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 9/25/2017 11:21:59 PM   
SoMnFan

Four-star Tindley High School (Ind.) guard Eric Hunter Jr., who was one of Minnesota’s top remaining targets, cancelled his upcoming visit with the Gophers this weekend and committed to Purdue on Monday.

Hunter tweeted a video of his commitment to the Boilermakers on Monday night. His decision to not make his scheduled official trip to Minnesota was first reported by GopherIllustrated.com earlier in the afternoon.

The 6-foot-3 Indianapolis combo guard had already taken official visits to Purdue and Ohio State. They were reportedly his top two schools, but the Buckeyes landed two 2018 guards last week. Recruiting projections already had Hunter picking Purdue.

The Gophers’ two main targets remaining for their last scholarship are four-star Oak Hill Academy (Va.) wing Keyontae Johnson and three-star South Kent School (N.Y.) point guard Anthony Nelson. But neither player has scheduled an official visit with Minnesota yet.
Post #: 5531
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 10/22/2017 9:25:39 PM   
Mr. Ed

And i thought Nate Mason was done....

These “secret scrimmages” aren’t very secret anymore. We know when and where they'll be played and the box scores are now released. Maybe one day fans and media will get to watch a scrimmage like Sunday's Minnesota vs. Creighton matchup.

But with nobody but coaching staffs and players in attendance, Jordan Murphy, Reggie Lynch and Nate Mason combined for 61 points to defeat the Bluejays 91-79 in front of empty seats at Williams Arena.

The Big Ten’s No. 15 ranked in the nation in the coaches’ poll pulled away from its Big East opponent in the second half after leading 43-37 at halftime. Murphy, a junior forward, had 14 of his team-high 24 points in the first half, while shooting 10-for-16 from the field and grabbing eight rebounds in 28 minutes.

Mason scored 13 of his 19 points in the second half, including all of his 6-for-8 shooting from the foul line. Lynch finished with 18 points and led the team with nine rebounds and four blocks in 29 minutes.

The debut of high-profile freshman Isaiah Washington came with no spectators, but he had 11 points on 3-for-8 shooting, four assists and two turnovers in 16 minutes off the bench.

Amir Coffey didn’t shoot much (five points on 1-for-2 shooting), but the sophomore guard led the Gophers with eight assists, to go with six rebounds and two steals in 30 minutes.

Lynch, the 2017 Big Ten defensive player of the year, was plagued by foul trouble last season. But surprise, surprise, he didn’t foul out Sunday. Imagine what his numbers will be this year if that’s the case on a regular basis. Lynch had two fouls in each half, as did Murphy. Backup center Bakary Konate fouled out with two points and four rebounds in 11 minutes.

Konate will need to be more reliable to play behind Lynch this season after Eric Curry’s season-ending knee injury. Curry, also in the power forward rotation last year, was a frontcourt scoring option off the bench.

But where will that bench scoring come after Washington this year? It’s pretty tough to judge off just one scrimmage, but Konate, Davonte Fitzgerald, Jamir Harris and Michael Hurt only combined for just five bench points.

Fitzgerald, a junior forward, just getting on the court was a great sign for Minnesota, though. The former Texas A&M transfer missed the last two seasons after sitting out and suffering a knee injury. He went scoreless on 0-for-3 shooting but had six rebounds in 12 minutes.

Again, it’s not much to evaluate but Minnesota’s defense appears to be a force again. The Gophers scored 19 points off 13 turnovers and held Creighton to 40 percent shooting. They also recorded six blocks and eight steals.

Offensively, Minnesota shot 27-for-41 from inside the arc (66 percent), but went just 4-for-20 from three-point range (20 percent). The starting guards were 1-for-10 from three combined, including Mason’s 1-for-6. Washington, Murphy and Harris also hit one trey apiece.

Last year’s 19-point win against DePaul in the closed scrimmage was revealing in that Milwaukee-Wisconsin transfer Akeem Springs was a potential starter. Springs had 21 points with seven three-pointers. He didn’t start right away, but the senior wing eventually was the team’s best leader and three-point shooter.

This time around, Minnesota’s scrimmage against Creighton shows us that Murphy could be coming into his own as a go-to scorer. His four turnovers (all in first half) are likely a result of him trying too hard at times to get his shot. But that could be limited with more time in a new role.

Mason and Lynch are seniors and arguably the two most important players on the team. The Gophers are hard to beat when Mason is scoring, defending and getting his teammates involved (five assists and one turnover vs. Creighton). An early sign of what type of year he might have was when the All-Big Ten point guard had 12 assists with one turnovers against DePaul last year.

Finally, Lynch being able to play in the high 20s in minutes will increase his scoring and rebounding numbers from last year.

This was a game that doesn’t count but let the excitement begin. This Gophers team isn’t a finished product but it has a chance to be special.

-- Creighton's Marcus Foster led his team with 19 points. Martin Krampelj and Khyri Thomas added 16 and 13 points, respectively. The Bluejays, who were picked fifth in the Big East preseason poll, were without Syracuse transfer Kaleb Joseph, who has a hamstring injury. But Foster was a Big East all-preseason first team guard and Thomas was co-conference defensive player of the year last season. This was a good test for Pitino's squad.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5532
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/10/2017 9:17:30 PM   
Mr. Ed

SoCar Upskirt pushes the Pintino wonders

Murphy w/Monster night too much though

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5533
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2017 6:31:23 PM   
twinsfan

I don't wanna sound like CPAMAN or anything, but I'm not a fan of Nate Mason's new ink.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5534
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2017 6:44:11 PM   
twinsfan

Raftery and Brando love Providence.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5535
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2017 7:16:07 PM   
twinsfan

Coffey is MONEY in the 2nd half!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5536
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2017 7:23:51 PM   
twinsfan

This is one impressive 2nd half for the Gophers. So far anyway.

Murphy is a stud. Washington and McBrayer a couple huge defensive plays. Hurt with a smooth move or two. Coffey throwin' daggers from beyond the stripe. And Mason and Lynch haven't even joined the party.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5537
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2017 7:29:38 PM   
twinsfan

My only concern for the Gophers is it appears they have no depth. I've mostly seen the same 5 guys on the floor all game. We're bound to have injuries, and when we do, that will be tough to overcome. This is why the injury to Curry will likely come back to haunt.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 5538
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/13/2017 8:21:07 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

My only concern for the Gophers is it appears they have no depth. I've mostly seen the same 5 guys on the floor all game. We're bound to have injuries, and when we do, that will be tough to overcome. This is why the injury to Curry will likely come back to haunt.

Or foul trouble

Murphy big time inside. Challenge will come when facing tougher inside competition.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5539
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/14/2017 6:59:41 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Or foul trouble

Murphy big time inside. Challenge will come when facing tougher inside competition.

Yeah they need the Freshman Amir Harris, Fitzgerald, and Hurt to step up....otherwise we are 6 guys and 5 fouls by Konate. Jelly looked really good.

Post #: 5540
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/14/2017 1:17:03 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or foul trouble

Yeah they need the Freshman Amir Harris, Fitzgerald, and Hurt to step up....otherwise we are 6 guys and 5 fouls by Konate. Jelly looked really good.

Didn't see that game, good to hear Washington played better.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 5541
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/14/2017 1:55:35 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or foul trouble

Didn't see that game, good to hear Washington played better.

He played very well Ed...he played so well in the first half they benched McBrayer and started him in the 2nd half. Basically impossible to guard when they play man to man....and Providence basically only plays that defense. Same thing for Murphy....

Post #: 5542
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/14/2017 2:08:20 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

Depth was the big issue last year too. Top guys could compete with anyone. Then it dropped off fast.

I think there's a chance to have better depth this year. Even without Curry. But I hope Pitino keeps going deep to the bench early on in these non-conference games to develop these guys.
Post #: 5543
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/14/2017 2:11:16 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke
quote:

Depth was the big issue last year too. Top guys could compete with anyone. Then it dropped off fast.
I think there's a chance to have better depth this year. Even without Curry. But I hope Pitino keeps going deep to the bench early on in these non-conference games to develop these guys.

+1
Especially any cream puff on the schedule. Hurt did look better than he did last year.

Post #: 5544
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/14/2017 4:39:23 PM   
drew

I think there will be some depth to the team this year. In the backcourt, I think Mason, McBrayer and Washington will get the majority of the minutes. I don't know anything about Harris yet, but he could earn minutes as the season goes along. I don't think he got any burn last night.

Where we'll need to develop depth is the front court. Lynch will continue to get in foul trouble and probably will play about 25-28 min/game. Konate is fine as long as we don't depend on him to more than he should. I need to see Fitzgerald more. Last night definitely wasn't a good night for him, but I do like his size and activity.

I am so excited for this season. Providence is a pretty good team and we went into their place, took a punch, and then rolled them. I'm hoping for a battle for the B1G between us and Sparty.
Post #: 5545
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/14/2017 6:30:10 PM   
GopherFan34

Any team trying to defend Murphy will have their hands full. He is a beast. Run more plays thru him and that offense will explode. It's only a matter of time before Jelly is able to take over a game by himself.
Post #: 5546
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/15/2017 7:41:49 AM   
Bill Jandro

Losing Curry is a major blow.

Konate is simply a foul machine.

It will be important that Murphy can stay in games.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 5547
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/15/2017 8:17:20 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro
Losing Curry is a major blow.
Konate is simply a foul machine.
It will be important that Murphy can stay in games.

Konate looked like he didn't play basketball all summer....he made big strides by the end of last year where he had more control and could catch a basketball. I hope it comes back after the Curry injury as we don't have many bigs.

Fitzgerald will bring some of what Curry has except the defense....I don't think he is as athletic as Curry....

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/15/2017 10:22:41 AM >

Post #: 5548
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/15/2017 10:15:56 AM   
SoMnFan

Fun win vs Providence
Good road win.
Murphy is a MAN out there.
Liked Hurts role.
Glad we have guys like that, instead of having to face them.
Coffey makes me go NOOOOO when he shoots, and yeahhhhhhhhhhhh when they go in.
Post #: 5549
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 11/15/2017 10:24:15 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan
Fun win vs Providence
Good road win.
Murphy is a MAN out there.
Liked Hurts role.
Glad we have guys like that, instead of having to face them.
Coffey makes me go NOOOOO when he shoots, and yeahhhhhhhhhhhh when they go in.

Coffey has this soft shot where it seems like it lands around the hoop like a pillow. He has that one spot where he is deadly from the right wing.

Post #: 5550
Page:   <<   < prev  220 221 [222] 223 224   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  220 221 [222] 223 224   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode