Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/20/2008 6:35:14 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

Thats a win you can hang your hat on.
Only a matter of time before Tubby starts getting national love.
Only our second road game.
Hoffarber has done more than I ever dreamed he could at the U. Solid kid, need that cold-blooded shot. 

Funny a year ago there were only 2 incoming Freshman, Hoffarber and Nolen and both looking great as Soph. And to think Munson had them signed before he left. Would they have done as well under him? I guess we will never know. Tubby should thank Munson for those two.

Fargo
Post #: 201
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/20/2008 6:46:30 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

Funny a year ago there were only 2 incoming Freshman, Hoffarber and Nolen and both looking great as Soph. And to think Munson had them signed before he left. Would they have done as well under him? I guess we will never know. Tubby should thank Munson for those two.

Nope. I can't remember anyone significantly improving under Monson.
Post #: 202
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/20/2008 7:52:28 PM  1 votes
Matt Dahl

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Dahl

I know he had a nice game and all....but....does anyone else get an uneasy Punto vibe with Travis Busch?  He ends up on the floor more often than a legitimate Div I college basketball player ever should.  Looks like he might be getting more time from 'coach' than he should.  There's just something that bothers me about his game.  And oh yeah, the announcers unabashedly praise him for 'grit' and 'hustle' to no end.

Colton Iverson hits the floor more than any big man I've ever seen. He's always scrambling and diving for loose balls. Do you get a Punto vibe from him too?

No.  Iverson's not a human jumping bean.

Maybe it's a good thing that Busch always seems to be in the middle of the action.  I just remember Rico Tucker being in the middle of the action a lot too. 

M
Post #: 203
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/20/2008 8:02:03 PM   
Matt Dahl

quote:

quote:

Oh come on, David.  That's selective memory.  Dan Coleman ring a bell?

M
Post #: 204
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/20/2008 8:10:19 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seriously?

He went from 23 minutes and 8.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg as a freshman to 27 minutes and 11.6 ppg and 5.8 rpg as a senior.

I attribute that to getting bigger and stronger. He never came close to reaching any potential he showed when he first got to the U.

Rick Rickert was the same player after his sophomore year as he was after his senior year of HS.

Monson was a horrible coach, a horrible recruiter and a horrible leader. I had more fun watching the "Iron Five" than I did any team under Monson.
Post #: 205
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/21/2008 2:24:43 AM   
DMueller

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seriously?

He went from 23 minutes and 8.6 ppg and 3.8 rpg as a freshman to 27 minutes and 11.6 ppg and 5.8 rpg as a senior.

I attribute that to getting bigger and stronger. He never came close to reaching any potential he showed when he first got to the U.

Rick Rickert was the same player after his sophomore year as he was after his senior year of HS.

Monson was a horrible coach, a horrible recruiter and a horrible leader. I had more fun watching the "Iron Five" than I did any team under Monson.

EDIT: I was going to back up Matt here but I think he was actually serious in saying Dan Coleman improved as a player under Monson.

< Message edited by DMueller -- 12/21/2008 2:50:01 AM >

I pledge allegiance to Hedley Lamarr.
And to the evil for which he stands.
Post #: 206
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/21/2008 2:48:11 AM   
DMueller

quote:

I know he had a nice game and all....but....does anyone else get an uneasy Punto vibe with Travis Busch?  He ends up on the floor more often than a legitimate Div I college basketball player ever should.  Looks like he might be getting more time from 'coach' than he should.  There's just something that bothers me about his game.  And oh yeah, the announcers unabashedly praise him for 'grit' and 'hustle' to no end.

Busch is a local kid from Mounds View who transferred back to Minnesota after a year at CP-SLO. He gets minutes because all the frontcourt guys Tubby recruited haven't developed yet. He's 6'4" and he D's up pretty well against forwards, which is pretty remarkable. I thought he did a hell of a job today. I was incredibly impressed.

I would play Busch 100 times before Abu-Shamala.

I don't know if you follow basketball very much, but it doesn't take a genius to realize Busch is limited offensively. He's a post player in a big guard's body. If you are T. Busch, and you don't provide "hustle and grit" your ass is on the bench, especially for this team.

So I'd cut him a break.

Post #: 207
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/21/2008 11:17:47 AM   
David Levine

I like Dan Coleman, but he came to the Gophers as a guy that had possible NBA potential talent, and after 4 years he was a very average Big Ten player that wouldn't have started for the better teams.
Post #: 208
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/22/2008 12:32:36 PM   
Matt Dahl

quote:

ORIGINAL: DMueller

quote:

Busch is a local kid from Mounds View who transferred back to Minnesota after a year at CP-SLO. He gets minutes because all the frontcourt guys Tubby recruited haven't developed yet. He's 6'4" and he D's up pretty well against forwards, which is pretty remarkable. I thought he did a hell of a job today. I was incredibly impressed.

I would play Busch 100 times before Abu-Shamala.

I don't know if you follow basketball very much, but it doesn't take a genius to realize Busch is limited offensively. He's a post player in a big guard's body. If you are T. Busch, and you don't provide "hustle and grit" your ass is on the bench, especially for this team.

So I'd cut him a break.

If you're not good enough at Cal Poly, you're not good enough for the Gophers.  IMO.

And I was just trying to ruffle some feathers with Dan Coleman.  He was a klutz.

M
Post #: 209
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/23/2008 1:23:47 AM   
DMueller

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/36607549.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUss

Here you go guys, a "feel-good" story on Busch.

After missing all but four games during his freshman year at Cal Poly because of a foot injury, a homesick Busch decided to transfer to Minnesota, where he didn't have a scholarship offer. He left a Division I program that would have offered him an opportunity for major minutes to pursue his dream of playing for the Gophers that he says he's had since he was 5 years old.

Busch, Minnesota's Mr. Basketball in 2005, said he quickly realized after transferring that his work ethic would be the only way to get him on the floor. But after two games last season, he suffered the thigh injury that kept him out of seven games and affected him for the rest of year.

Doesn't sound like he "wasn't good enough" for Cal Poly, but who knows.

Post #: 210
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/24/2008 9:31:40 AM   
Jim Frenette

SE LA gave the Gophers a good game last night. They are a very athletic team and ran a lot. Gophers started out sluggish but then realized they had some competition and woke up and played well in the second half

Fargo
Post #: 211
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/28/2008 8:40:06 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Up to 12-0 with an easy win over something called High Point.
We've got a wildlife area a couple miles from our house called High Point.
I had no idea they played hoops out there.
Sampson with 17, couple more in double-figures.
Time to get into the Big Ten and see that we've got for sure.
Post #: 212
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/28/2008 10:42:33 PM   
David Levine

CRAP. Forgot the game was on.

Too caught up in the playoffs chase.
Post #: 213
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/31/2008 1:11:30 PM   
Jim Frenette

Gophers take their first loss today. I wasn't sure if they could win at home, but MS out played them in the second half. One thing MS does well, is protect the ball. The Gophers have a pressure defense and couldn't create many turn overs

Fargo
Post #: 214
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/31/2008 1:38:59 PM   
Lynn G.

They were still hanging at the end of the first half - but couldn't overcome a team that is better at rebounds. But it's still a good learning experience to play against a better team and they don't have anything to be ashamed of.

On to the next Big 10 opponent...

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 215
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/31/2008 1:55:46 PM   
TJSweens

M. State is definitely the cream of the Big Ten this year. Looks like Nolan did a decent job matching up against a great PG in Kalin Lucas and Johnson held Raymar Morgan below average. Sampson III had one of those games we can expect from him until he gains some consistency at this level. Paul Carter has NOT lived up to expectations to this point.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 216
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/31/2008 2:08:39 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

M. State is definitely the cream of the Big Ten this year. Looks like Nolan did a decent job matching up against a great PG in Kalin Lucas

Are you serious?  Lucas had a career high 24
  Post #: 217
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/31/2008 2:26:25 PM   
TJSweens

I mean it more in terms of competing with him. Nolan answered. He had 14 pts and 7 assists himself. Kalin Lucas is an up and coming star PG. 24 pts as a career high won't last long. 

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 218
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 12/31/2008 3:00:14 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

M. State is definitely the cream of the Big Ten this year. Looks like Nolan did a decent job matching up against a great PG in Kalin Lucas and Johnson held Raymar Morgan below average. Sampson III had one of those games we can expect from him until he gains some consistency at this level. Paul Carter has NOT lived up to expectations to this point.

This was just his second game back from his ankle injury. He was doing well prior so let's give him a little more time for healing and gertting to full speed

Fargo
Post #: 219
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/3/2009 1:16:13 PM   
Jim Frenette

Good win for the Gophers today. They were able to out rebound the Buckeyes. This win should keep them in the top 25 since both schools they played this week were ranked teams.

The Gophers women also won

Fargo
Post #: 220
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/3/2009 1:40:11 PM   
Lynn G.

That 16-0 run was impressive too. The announcers commented on how well Tubby made adjustments, and then the rebounds were the other big story.

Way to go Gophers!

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 221
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/3/2009 2:09:13 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Fun day at the Barn.
Thats the way it used to be in there.
The crowd really fueled that 16-0 run Lynn brought up.
This is a good club.
They got back in with Long-range shots, but didn't totally abandon the inside game.
This just seems like a team that will get better and better.
Finally quick enough to defend all over the court, and strong enough to board with anyone. (altho they didn't last game)
As always, will need ot win on the road to prove they are for real. Thats the hard thing to do in the Big Ten.
No easy ones this year.  
Post #: 222
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/3/2009 3:16:03 PM   
Pete M.

Paul Carter and Devron Bostick stepped in big-time today. I think they opened up some more playing time for themselves.
Post #: 223
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/3/2009 10:21:54 PM   
TJSweens

I went to a couple of games at the Gatorade Shootout tonight. Good stuff. First I got to meet Tubby Smith. My wife and I were sitting right behind him, his wife and his assistant coach Vince Taylor. What a gracious man. He handled the constant interruptions from fans with a smile and pleasant conversation. He couldn't even eat his slice of pizza without interruption.
I saw both Gopher recruits in action. Hopkins and Royce White played some horribly over matched team from Wisconsin. White is definitely the more developed player. He is very strong and can score inside and outside.

Next Rodney Williams and Cooper played Eden Prairie. This was a much tougher match up, so Williams was not able to dominate at White's level. Williams is not as strong and not as polished as White, but Oh My God this kid has FREAKISH athletic ability. He didn't do much in the half court offense but had some highlight reel plays in transition including a spinning 360 dunk on a break away and a reverse slam on an ally oop play that Vince Taylor turn around going "WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!" It was a totally blind play. He leaped from the right wing with his back to the basket and I swear it looked like his head was even with the rim when he caught the ball and slammed it down behind him without looking.

These two are going to be nice additions next year.

Post #: 224
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 1/3/2009 10:25:58 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

Paul Carter and Devron Bostick stepped in big-time today. I think they opened up some more playing time for themselves.

I thought Devoe Joseph was the one out of the new comers that really distinguished himself. The Gophers went on their big run to close the first when he came in after Nolan picked up his second foul. Joseph really pushed it hard in transition and put Ohio State back on their heels.

Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode