Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/16/2008 5:25:21 PM   
djskillz

Crazy finish for the Gophers the other night.  Wow.

And I have to agree wholeheartedly with Pete.  The Big10 is SUPER weak this year.  Heck, I'd go the opposite direction, Matt.  That may be the WEAKEST the Big10 has been in 15 years.

I hate the Pac10, but it is one of the best conferences this year.

The BigEast is CLEARLY better though.  Georgetown and Louisville are both damn good teams, and Pitt is a scary, scary team right now as they get their guys back.  Blair is an absolute beast as a freshman that basically singlehandedly murdered Duke early this season.  I could see Pitt making a deep run depending on their matchups.  I think Pitt would absolutely win the Big10 outright actually.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 151
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2008 9:34:13 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Was there any definitive answer on why Illinois got the ball back at the end?  I'm no BB expert but the refs had 2 choices, foul or walk.  From what I heard, neither were called.    They seemed to just give them the ball back as a redo with time taken off the clock. 
Post #: 152
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2008 10:02:28 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Was there any definitive answer on why Illinois got the ball back at the end?  I'm no BB expert but the refs had 2 choices, foul or walk.  From what I heard, neither were called.    They seemed to just give them the ball back as a redo with time taken off the clock. 

Heard nothing about it. Tubby was on Rosen last night and I wish Mark would have asked him that then.

Fargo
Post #: 153
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2008 12:51:38 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Even the guy announcing the game on ESPN thought the same Fargo.  Foul or walk.  No other alternative and then wham....
Post #: 154
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2008 1:21:11 PM   
Mr. Ed

Gophs are the 4th seed for their NIT region, will host Maryland.

According to this...

http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/brackets/viewable_nit

Escape while you can!
Post #: 155
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/17/2008 11:45:05 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Gophs are the 4th seed for their NIT region, will host Maryland.

According to this...

http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/brackets/viewable_nit

Tough, tough game for them.  Maryland can be a pretty damn good team.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 156
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/18/2008 9:18:48 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Tubby will have the boys fired up tonight.  He is still pissed that Maryland (the team he grew up rooting for) took back his scholarship offer.  I believe MD has never beaten a Tubby team.  Lets see if that continues.
Post #: 157
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2008 9:16:24 AM   
So.Mn.Fan

Good call, Dustin.
Wayyyy too athletic for us , esp without Mackenzie.
Well, nothing to do now but build this sucker up for next year, Tubby.
Disappointed a guy like Hoffarber couldn't add instant offense in games like that one last night.
He has some work to do.
The athletic teams gave us fits. Our perimeter shooters couldn't get a free look.
They even had numerous shots blocked on the arc.
That game sat there and waited to be taken early, and we just lacked the skill to do so.
We do have some horses down low, some great board work and some great put-backs were the only thing keeping us in the game.
On to next year.
Post #: 158
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2008 9:47:20 AM   
Jeff Jesser

An article in the Strib says that Blake had a hand injury that was hurting his shooting.  In fact, the whole team was a mess with injuries.  
Post #: 159
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2008 10:32:26 AM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

An article in the Strib says that Blake had a hand injury that was hurting his shooting.  In fact, the whole team was a mess with injuries.  

A broken finger that he had taped most of the game. He took it off late in the 2nd half and all of a suddne hit a three.

Fargo
Post #: 160
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/19/2008 10:42:02 PM   
djskillz

Given the state of the Big10 right now, all you really had to know going into that game was Big10 vs. ACC.

ACC is in a "down" year this year in a lot of ways (ie not its usual indisputable best conference in the country) and it's still worlds better than the crap the Big10 is right now.

I think Tubby has done a wonderful job, but I do think we need to sit back and evaluate the state of the conference right now as well.

Post #: 161
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/20/2008 9:47:42 AM   
TJSweens

The ACC is better than the Big Ten without a doubt, but if you are implying that by virtue of being the ACC team Maryland won, I whole heartedly disagree. A healthy Gopher team wins that game IMO.
McKenzie is one of their 2 best players and didn't play.
Their other best player Dan Coleman dislocated a finger on his shooting hand in the first minute of the game.
Tolackson wasn't supposed to play, but did with injury.
Hoffbarber had a broken finger.
Westbrook also had a finger injury on his shooting hand.

As to the state of the Big Ten Tubby doesn't need to worry about that. If he keeps pulling in recruiting classes like next year's he will dominate the conference and have an elite program.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 162
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/20/2008 11:19:58 AM   
Jeff Jesser

BTW- who was that kid that was rising above dudes and slamming it home off of rebounds?  We haven't seen that in Maroon and Gold in what, 15 years?
Post #: 163
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/20/2008 11:20:33 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Seriously, who was the last kid we had that was that athletic...Willie Burton?
Post #: 164
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/20/2008 3:06:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

Must have been Damian Johnson you were referring to (rising above dudes and slamming it home off of rebounds)

Last one that athletic was...

Sam Jacobsen

Escape while you can!
Post #: 165
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/20/2008 5:37:12 PM   
djskillz

Tim, I'm not saying that what Tubby is doing isn't impressive.  It is.  And the recruits/program will come.  Just saying that their win total should be evaluated in its full context this season. 

I don't know if the Big10 has been as weak as it is this year in my lifetime. 

I think I said that I don't think any Big10 team will make the Elite 8, but I could easily see no Big10 team making the Sweet Sixteen!

Post #: 166
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/28/2008 11:59:06 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Matt Dahl

Looking more closely at the Pac 10, I actually think the Big 10 is better from top to bottom.  I predict there will be at least 1, maybe 2, Big 10 teams in the Final 4.  Watch out for Ohio State, Purdue, and Michigan State, as always.

Oops.
  Post #: 167
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/29/2008 12:01:24 AM   
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

quote:

Pitt lost to Rutgers.  Yes, that Rutgers.  16th out of 16 in the Big East.  Pitt was also absolutely crushed by Dayton.  Pitt finishes maybe 5th or 6th in the Big Ten.  The Big East is "deep" only in that there are so many teams in the league, of course it's gonna have a few more quality teams.  Be sure, though, there are just as many bad teams in the Big East as there are good ones.

Almost every team has one bad loss.  Pittsburgh was undefeated until Cook went down.  They lost to Rutgers without Cook and Fields.  How well do you think IU would do without White and Gordon?

Pittsburgh would finish 5th or 6th if they were in the Big Ten?  So, in other words they are no better than Minnesota?

EXACTLY!

1st round NIT loser vs. Big East Champions?  Good one.
  Post #: 168
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/29/2008 12:04:15 AM   
quote:

quote:

Pitt lost to Rutgers.  Yes, that Rutgers.  16th out of 16 in the Big East.  Pitt was also absolutely crushed by Dayton.  Pitt finishes maybe 5th or 6th in the Big Ten.  The Big East is "deep" only in that there are so many teams in the league, of course it's gonna have a few more quality teams.  Be sure, though, there are just as many bad teams in the Big East as there are good ones.

Looking more closely at the Pac 10, I actually think the Big 10 is better from top to bottom.  I predict there will be at least 1, maybe 2, Big 10 teams in the Final 4.  Watch out for Ohio State, Purdue, and Michigan State, as always.

I'll gladly give you 5 to 1 odds that the Big Ten doesn't put two in the Final Four.  Just let me know how much you stand behind your prediction.
In fact, I'll give you 2 to 1 odds on the Big Ten not having one team in the Final Four.

What?
  Post #: 169
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/29/2008 9:01:23 AM   
Matt Dahl

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Almost every team has one bad loss.  Pittsburgh was undefeated until Cook went down.  They lost to Rutgers without Cook and Fields.  How well do you think IU would do without White and Gordon?

Pittsburgh would finish 5th or 6th if they were in the Big Ten?  So, in other words they are no better than Minnesota?

EXACTLY!

The Big 10 may have let me down, but I must say.....check out the bracket standings.  3rd place, baby!

M
Post #: 170
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/29/2008 12:29:18 PM   
djskillz

The Big10 sucks right now, Matt. 

It must be said.  You know it's true.

Post #: 171
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 3/29/2008 9:10:03 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

EXACTLY!

The Big 10 may have let me down, but I must say.....check out the bracket standings.  3rd place, baby!

Oops again.
  Post #: 172
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/17/2008 11:51:06 PM   
kgdabom

Gophers just landed Royce White who according to Rivals is the #18 ranked prospect. They will have the athletes it takes to win. Now can Tubby coach them to the top?
Post #: 173
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/18/2008 10:15:51 PM   
TJSweens

White committed almost a month ago. 

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 174
RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) - 5/19/2008 4:45:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

White committed almost a month ago. 
When it comes to gophers preseason I consider anything within a month to be recent.
Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: RE:Gopher Basketball (Mens) Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode