Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Hockey

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/21/2015 9:39:03 PM   
stfrank

I think they end up a 3 seed after tonight. What are the odds we end up playing UND in the first game if we stay at a 4 seed? I am guessing pretty good.
Post #: 2526
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/22/2015 11:51:17 AM   
stfrank

Gophers go to Northeast regional in Manchester, NH for "Fifth meeting of the year between Minnesota Duluth and Minnesota in the fifth different location."
Go figure....
Were 1-3 against them this season, so we are due.
Post #: 2527
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/22/2015 12:08:36 PM   
stfrank

I tuned in the NHL game between Red Wings vs Blues and see just as many empty seats at the Joe as the B1G tourney this weekend....no longer Hockey Town USA that's for sure!
Post #: 2528
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/22/2015 6:25:27 PM   
twinsfan

Congrats Miami (OH). You get a #1 seed and get to play Providence in Providence. Some whacked-out decisions arise almost every year when I look at the NCAA hockey bracket.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2529
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/22/2015 6:31:58 PM   
twinsfan

They're allowed to do a little tweaking with the seeding, right? I know I shouldn't be complaining the Gophers got a 3 seed instead of a 4. But wouldn't it have been more logical to make the Gophers the 4 seed in in UND's bracket, match Quinnipiac up with Miami, and put Providence against UMD? It ain't right that Miami is the top seed and they have to play Providence in Providence. It's not their home arena, though, so maybe none of the home fans show up. Not sure what kind of support they get there. I see their regular arena only holds 3,000 people.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2530
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/22/2015 6:41:51 PM   
twinsfan

Makes about as much sense as Dayton getting a home play-in game as an 11 seed, followed by 2 more games down the road in Columbus. The announcer just said they are 19-0 in games played in Ohio this season. This is a team that barely made the tourney, but they are rewarded with 3 home games???? That's nuts.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 2531
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/23/2015 7:15:42 AM   
Mr. Ed

Gophs women 3rd title in 4 years.

Deserve more PR.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 2532
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/23/2015 10:21:32 AM   
SoMnFan

Well said Ed

Woot woot girls.
Lynx, girls gopher hockey, they make it look easy to compete for titles.
Ahem, men?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2533
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/23/2015 10:26:41 AM   
SoMnFan

Nice effort Vs Michigan, who had to win.
We handled everything we needed to the past couple weeks.
Very winnable region, but who knows who will show up.
Wilcox has finally been Wilcox lately. Can't win without him.
Still too nonchalant about scoring. Easily could have had five or six goals vs Mich.
We just don't take some chances seriously enough imo.
There's talent, no doubt. But if it gets outworked, it's worthless. Rau appears to be hungry, that helps a ton.
Unfortunately we've got a couple sets of D who don't take on our opponents attacks on our net with enough gusto.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2534
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/23/2015 10:46:16 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Well said Ed

Woot woot girls.
Ahem, men?

quote:

Deserve more PR.

They're being asked about DYNASTY

this kind of thing hardly happens outside of UConn women BB in any sport any more.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 2535
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/23/2015 10:58:34 AM   
SoMnFan

You flip around yesterday and see what WAS on TV, and then realize the women's college hockey national championship wasn't .... Well there's something very wrong about that.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2536
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/23/2015 11:02:05 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Well said Ed

Woot woot girls.
Ahem, men?

quote:

Deserve more PR.

They're being asked about DYNASTY

this kind of thing hardly happens outside of UConn women BB in any sport any more.

The senior class ends up playing in four nat champ games.
They lose their top player before the year starts.
Just an unreal dominating run.
During a time when almost every other program has improved greatly.
There were only a couple serious contenders five years ago, there are a dozen now.
They've been trail blazers in the sport. Making themselves and everyone else around them better as they've gone along.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2537
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/23/2015 11:11:30 AM   
Lynn G.

So does Coach Frost get picked up by an NHL team to coach? I know that the women's sport doesn't 100% translate to the men's but with the resume' he has built up I figure he will get some interesting offers.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 2538
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 9:51:21 AM   
SoMnFan

Tough one today for our beloved rodents.
I have ZERO idea how we will fare this year.
We have the talent to win it all.
Which isn't much different from every other year.
At this point it's all in the hands of the players and fate.
I'd love to see another National Championship soon.
We really shouldn't go decades without one. Not with the tradition and talent pool we have.
The recent saturation of Gophers into prominent NHL roles tells you that the talent is here, it always is.
A lot of our success will depend on which Adam Wilcox shows up the next couple weekends.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2539
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 9:59:19 AM   
stfrank

If the Wilcox of the last few weekends shows up we are in any game. As long as the boys come out flying and keep at it for 60 minutes I like our chances today and going forward. I would love to see them hitting on all cylinders this afternoon.
Post #: 2540
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 11:16:58 AM   
Lynn G.

Crud - I just looked it up and see that the game begins at 4:30 - and that's just when I have to be involved in the set-up for our annual Writers Festival that runs tomorrow. I'm going to have to see if there is a tv in any of the rooms we're setting up...

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 2541
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 11:24:34 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Crud - I just looked it up and see that the game begins at 4:30 - and that's just when I have to be involved in the set-up for our annual Writers Festival that runs tomorrow. I'm going to have to see if there is a tv in any of the rooms we're setting up...

It is on ESPNU, so they will need cable too.....
Post #: 2542
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 11:25:47 AM   
Lynn G.

Pssshh. It's a theater and art center. I doubt they even have tvs. I'll see if I can get it on my phone (new to the smart phone thing so this will be a first).

Post #: 2543
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 11:44:12 AM   
stfrank

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Pssshh. It's a theater and art center. I doubt they even have tvs. I'll see if I can get it on my phone (new to the smart phone thing so this will be a first).

Xfinity has a TV to go app that may work. Or you may able to stream it from ESPNU website by using your Comcast login. That is how I watched the ladies win last Sunday.

< Message edited by stfrank -- 3/27/2015 11:45:56 AM >
Post #: 2544
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 1:28:49 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yup. all programming, on ESPNx networks, is watchable from a mobile.
Post #: 2545
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 1:31:06 PM   
SoMnFan

Especially THE OCHO

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2546
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 2:26:18 PM   
Corleone

This will be a tough one for me.

I was born in St. Paul into a family of sports nuts, all Gopher fans. A small sect of us moved to Duluth in the early 80s where UMD hockey was the only game in town and with the Bulldogs about to embark on their most successful "era" in the program's history ('82 - '86). My family had season tickets right behind the UMD bench and got to know the Sertich family very well. Being young and impressionable, I became a huge UMD Bulldog fan. My first true "heartbreaks" as a sports fan were the 1984 and 1985 Frozen Fours (Google them and you'll see why).

I moved back to the Twin Cities after high school and have been here ever since. I graduated from the U of M in 1995 and re-established my fandom with Gopher hockey via friends, school pride, respect for the program, etc. I suffered through all of the Woog heartbreaks. I was at the X for the Natty title in '02, lost my mind when Potulny scored and partied in the streets afterwards. I still have a signed print from the back-to-back team in '03 hanging on my wall. I watch just about every televised game.

So, it's my one and only instance of being a sports bigamist (something I typically loathe). But it has usually worked itself out pretty easily in the past: pre-2011, when UMD had never won it (and I was at the X for that one too ) I pulled for the Bulldogs in the rare years where they actually had a chance to make some noise, otherwise it was always for the Gophers. But ultimately, it never truly mattered except for the one other time they met in the NCAA's (2004). The Gophers were going for a 3-peat and played UMD (which had it's best team in years) in the regional final. Almost mercifully, I happened to be in Las Vegas that weekend without any means of watching the game. I wouldn't know, but I imagine it must be like how parents feel when they have kids competing against each other.

So that brings us to this year, today and the same sort of helpless, conflicted feeling. I honestly don't know who I'm going to be cheering for once the game starts....both programs and fanbases have about the same level of "need" as far as I'm concerned. All I know is that I want the better team to win (toss up, IMO), not to have a huge controversy or garbage goal involved with the outcome and most importantly, for the winner to whip those BU pricks tomorrow.

So, I guess.....GO MAROON AND GOLD!
Post #: 2547
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 2:31:47 PM   
SoMnFan

Well, you got it made then! (today)
Great stuff man.
I pull for UMD when the Gophs aren't in something, too.
They aren't as unlikable as most of our rivals. To me.
Just a toss-up to me. Enjoy it man ... you're covered!

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 2548
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 3:01:47 PM   
Corleone

quote:

Well, you got it made then! (today)
Great stuff man.
I pull for UMD when the Gophs aren't in something, too.
They aren't as unlikable as most of our rivals. To me.
Just a toss-up to me. Enjoy it man ... you're covered!

I guess. As long as one of them winds up getting to Boston.

At stake for the Gophs - first title in 12 years and 6th overall. The chance to put a little more heat on the Whioux fans, wash away last year's Union aftertaste and satiate the somewhat-spoiled fan base for awhile.

At stake for the Dogs - second title in 4 years and the chance to cement their status as an elite program after decades of mediocrity and near-misses.

Tomorrow, I'll be nervous. Today, I'm just....kinda stuck.
Post #: 2549
RE: Gopher Hockey - 3/27/2015 3:47:51 PM   
Phil Riewer

At least MN is covered with UMD, U of MN, St. Cloud State, Mankato.......I cheer for the Gophers but I hope one of them wins it all (instead of the Sioux)....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2550
Page:   <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Hockey Page: <<   < prev  100 101 [102] 103 104   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode