Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 9/14/2014 12:03:04 PM   
SoMnFan

Good post
Sadly, all true.
The B10 is pathetic.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4901
RE: Gopher Football - 9/14/2014 1:37:33 PM   
drew

Seeing tweets about Leidner having a broken foot.
Post #: 4902
RE: Gopher Football - 9/14/2014 1:50:36 PM   
SoMnFan

Going into yesterday?
Or coming out?

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4903
RE: Gopher Football - 9/14/2014 4:30:49 PM   
twinsfan

Even in the lowly B10, we could go winless with our QB situation. Welcome back to the Brewster years.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 4904
RE: Gopher Football - 9/14/2014 4:58:52 PM   
SoMnFan

Here I've been laughing my ass off at Nebraskas drop in relevance..... just realized .... they're undefeated and dancing in the streets!
OMG the B10 is bad.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4905
RE: Gopher Football - 9/15/2014 1:35:07 PM   
David Levine

Gophers QB Mitch Leidner has broken bone in big toe

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26532551/gophers-qb-mitch-leidner-has-broken-bone-foot
Post #: 4906
RE: Gopher Football - 9/17/2014 10:17:09 PM   
Bradley H

Can't even remember the last time the Gophers had a legitimate quarterback. Ricky Foggie?

Seriously, I could find 8-10 JUCO quarterbacks that would start immediately for the Gophers, and many of them are not getting recruited. Not to mention about 100 wide receivers that would make Wolitarski look like he is standing in cement.

Every time a freshman QB comes in and has one decent game, he is anointed the starter for the next three years.

Until the dump the 1950's offense, they will never be a factor.

Or better yet, just find a coach that doesn't nearly die on the sidelines every six games.

< Message edited by Bradley H -- 9/17/2014 10:21:14 PM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 4907
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 7:14:55 AM   
TJSweens

Oh goody. A Brad H. drive-by. As usual we are all now dumber for having read it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4908
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 8:52:29 AM   
Jeff Jesser

The poke at Kill was over the top but he's got a point otherwise.
Post #: 4909
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 8:55:06 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Just a guess but playing at Minnesota isn't "cool" so it must be hard to recruit the best athletes. Nobody cares about Bronko Nagurski these days and the championships from a thousand years ago.

How do we change that? Hell, even the student section on game days is pretty lame.
Post #: 4910
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 9:04:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

The difficulty in developing a QB is not new. 8-10 jucos. Great. Get them eligible, otherwise it's a pointless statement. That's why they are jucos. The offense is very similar what Wisconsin is very successful running and a good fit for our recruiting base. You aren't going to compete with the SEC, Pac 10 and legacy programs around the country to get the athletes you need to need to make a pro set style offense work in Minnesota.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4911
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 9:08:55 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I agree and it sucks. We are stuck in the 60's and it's not getting us anywhere.
Post #: 4912
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 10:15:12 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

I know there is a lot of people that like Kill, but I have seen nothing in his tenure that separates him any of the other coaches we have had over the past 20 years. In fact, the offense looks more prehistoric now than it did when he took over.

This programs lacks team speed, imagination and athleticism. Take away the three wins they collect every September against awful programs and they are a .300 team.

I watched the game last week and it was embarrassing. He is rotating in three slow tight ends and still running the ball about 75% of the time. I understand TCU is a decent program, but the Gophers made them look like the 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

The Big Ten is as bad as it has been in 50 years, and the Gophers are still not a factor.

< Message edited by Bradley H -- 9/18/2014 10:18:57 AM >

Post #: 4913
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 10:30:58 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

The difficulty in developing a QB is not new. 8-10 jucos. Great. Get them eligible, otherwise it's a pointless statement. That's why they are jucos. The offense is very similar what Wisconsin is very successful running and a good fit for our recruiting base. You aren't going to compete with the SEC, Pac 10 and legacy programs around the country to get the athletes you need to need to make a pro set style offense work in Minnesota.

Not true at all. Just because they are in a JUCO doesn't mean they are dumb. Aaron Rodgers wasn't dumb. Cam Newton wasn't dumb. Bo Wallace at Ole Miss isn't dumb. The NCAA ranks are loaded with guys playing significantly. Jake Waters at K-State isn't dumb. Nick Marshall at Auburn isn't the sharpest tack but has gotten some decent results. Tanner McEvoy at Wisconsin has been serviceable but isn't dumb. There are guys everywhere. They just aren't looking for them and if they bring them to town for a visit they aren't going to go to a school that runs the ball 75% of the time. If they want to land a great quarterback, they need to come up with a quarterback-friendly system.

Time to turn the page!

All I know is this. I watched the game last week and I wouldn't pay a dime to see that program play live. I grew up a die hard Gopher fan and still look for the results every week. I watch them whenever I can, which is tough living 2,000 miles away. Right now, they barely have a pulse!

< Message edited by Bradley H -- 9/18/2014 11:16:19 AM >

Post #: 4914
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 11:18:45 AM   
TJSweens

Nobody said they were dumb. I said they weren't eligible yet. If they were eligible they wouldn't be in Juco. The problem with the Gophers is not the system for QB's. Many colleges have the same offense. They just managed to recruit and develop better QBs to play it. Kill produced QB Chandler Harnishwho was drafted in 2012 and recruited Jordan Lynch who was a Heisman finalist and invited to the Bears camp in 2014.

Post #: 4915
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 11:28:32 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Nobody said they were dumb. I said they weren't eligible yet. If they were eligible they wouldn't be in Juco. The problem with the Gophers is not the system for QB's. Many colleges have the same offense. They just managed to recruit and develop better QBs to play it. Kill produced QB Chandler Harnishwho was drafted in 2012 and recruited Jordan Lynch who was a Heisman finalist and invited to the Bears camp in 2014.

The offensive system is pathetic. I know zero major college programs that run that offense with any level of extended success. It isn't even fun to watch, let alone play in. Way too many slow guys and almost no imagination.

Lynch and Harnish received attention because they were the focal point of the offense. They racked up big numbers as rushers, but weren't true quarterbacks. Harnish threw the ball 687 times in four years. We now have quarterbacks throwing the ball 500 times a year. Lynch threw the ball a lot the last two years, but that was after Kill was gone and they modified the offense.

Post #: 4916
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 12:19:33 PM   
TJSweens

That offense is very similar to a lot of programs. The difference is that other programs have had better QB's to run it. The QB's who are throwing over 500 times a year are playing for legacy programs and established powers. They aren't coming to Minnesota to play in any offensive scheme. Basement Brew came in here with the pass happy spread offense and quickly found that he couldn't compete with the national powers to recruit the players you need to be successful in that system. At least not ones that aren't being kicked out of school after a year. Brew had a big reputation as a recruiter and is once again a very successful recruiter in Florida. Kill is taking the Barry Alvarez approach that has been very successful in Wisconsin. Build the offense and recruit around power running. It's easy to recruit a big wall of beef out of Minnesota. You can recruit power runners who are happy to run behind a massive line. The trick is getting enough passing to compliment it.

You watch one game where the Gophers play one of the best defenses in the country with their red shirt sophomore starting QB and top RB playing injured with back up QB's who are one red-shirt freshman and a bunch of true freshman and you are suddenly an expert on the Gopher offense.

Post #: 4917
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 12:40:18 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley H

quote:

I know there is a lot of people that like Kill, but I have seen nothing in his tenure that separates him any of the other coaches we have had over the past 20 years. In fact, the offense looks more prehistoric now than it did when he took over.

This programs lacks team speed, imagination and athleticism. Take away the three wins they collect every September against awful programs and they are a .300 team.

I watched the game last week and it was embarrassing. He is rotating in three slow tight ends and still running the ball about 75% of the time. I understand TCU is a decent program, but the Gophers made them look like the 2001 Miami Hurricanes.

The Big Ten is as bad as it has been in 50 years, and the Gophers are still not a factor.

As a whole, I like Kill but I hear ya. I was bitching about Limegrover pretty much since mid last year. I will say though, the D looks better than anytime since I've been a fan.

If we could somehow get Mason as our OCord, we'd be in great shape.
Post #: 4918
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 12:55:27 PM   
SoMnFan

A guy like Edwards won't stay here if we don't get this offense figured out.
I'd agree with Jeff. Best defense in awhile (even after the asskicking at TCU)
Thats not a disgrace.
Not being able to move the ball isn't something were used to. And better get fixed.
We are finding out Nelson, Gray, and that backup kid from a couple years ago .... Weren't so bad. Comparatively.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4919
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 1:00:46 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Frankly I don't see a whole lot of difference between Mase and what Kill is running now. Mason built a power running offense. He mixed in more passing when he could recruit kids who could pass and catch, which was hit and miss.

Post #: 4920
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 1:14:16 PM   
Jeff Jesser

The style may be the same but the results aren't. Like him or not, Mason's teams always had good offenses.
Post #: 4921
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 1:15:29 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

The style may be the same but the results aren't. Like him or not, Mason's teams always had good offenses.

The NFL agreed

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4922
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 1:18:33 PM   
TJSweens

Sure when you recruit MB III, Lawrence Maroney and a host of destined for the NFL linemen, you will have success. Kill's best prospects are still freshmen and sophomores. He also inherited a bigger train wreck than Mase did. Let's give it a little more time to mature.

Post #: 4923
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 5:47:49 PM   
Bradley H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley H

quote:

As a whole, I like Kill but I hear ya. I was bitching about Limegrover pretty much since mid last year. I will say though, the D looks better than anytime since I've been a fan.

They need to bring in one of the top assistants at Oregon or some place with an up-tempo offense and revamp the entire culture. It is time to move away from the Bernie Bierman mentality and move into the 21st century.

They can get players. They just aren't looking in the right places. They have shown interest in East Mississippi quarterback Todd Mays, but haven't offered. What are they waiting for? This kid makes Leidner look like a statue. Most of his offers are as a running back. The only reason he isn't a full time guy at EMCC is because they have a bounce back from Clemson (Chad Kelly). Tavarius Bender at Iowa Western is a ton better than what they have right now. Kyle Postma at Trinity Valley College (TX) is a redshirt freshman that is lighting it up. Jake Hubenak at Blinn the same thing. Austin Apodaca at Mesa (AZ) is a bounce back from Washington State. The kid at Santa Rosa (McAlvain) runs a 4.55 and Golden West QB Chris D'entremont has thrown 31 touchdowns and six interceptions in 13 games. Diablo Valley QB Adam Wood is 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and runs a 4.6.

They need to have about 2-3 coaches camped in Mississippi at the junior colleges. The best player on the team right now is Damien Wilson. Where from? Pearl River College.

< Message edited by Bradley H -- 9/18/2014 5:58:49 PM >

Post #: 4924
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 7:00:17 PM   
Jeff Jesser

They just gave Kill an extension. No way they bring in a guy from Oregon (or any other program). Like the style or not, we are "stuck" with these guys for about 3 more years, at least. And, Kill aint bringing in an outsider. I have a better chance of sprouting 4.2 speed with a rocket arm, college eligibility and on Kill's RADAR.
Post #: 4925
Page:   <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  195 196 [197] 198 199   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode