Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  196 197 [198] 199 200   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 9/18/2014 10:52:03 PM   
Karl H

First off, I agree with a lot of what Brad stated. After the first game I said they need to work on the passing game against the easier non-conference teams. To me, that is biggest downfall this year. However, I will respond to a few other things:

The Big Ten is as bad as it has been in 50 years, and the Gophers are still not a factor.

The Big Ten always seems to be in "down year". The results this year have been bad & I would say they are behind ALL of the other power 5 conferences. But lets not get too carried away. It seems like Mich State got blown out by Oregon, but lets not forget they were leading that game very late into the 3rd qtr...on the road. The 4th qtr meltdown makes it hard to remember the first 45 minutes, much of which were back and forth.

Seriously, I could find 8-10 JUCO quarterbacks that would start immediately for the Gophers, and many of them are not getting recruited. Not to mention about 100 wide receivers that would make Wolitarski look like he is standing in cement.

You mean like your boy Hayo Carpenter? Drew's game is clearly as a bigger, possession type WR, so why crack about his speed?

I know there is a lot of people that like Kill, but I have seen nothing in his tenure that separates him any of the other coaches we have had over the past 20 years. In fact, the offense looks more prehistoric now than it did when he took over.

I don't agree with everything Kill does. I hate the way he burns redshirts. Seems we disagree 100% on the value of 5th year seniors. Also, already talked about the passing game. That being said, I really like the way he does things off the field. He brings in STUDENT athletes, holds them accountable, and really seems to help mold them as people. I wouldn't hesitate to send a kid of mine into his program. But he's hired to win games I suppose. Won 8 of them last year which is more than most seasons at Minnesota of the last several years. That's probably what we can expect from this staff.

He is rotating in three slow tight ends and still running the ball about 75% of the time.

TE is a strength on this team (for better or worse). Maxx Williams is an NFL player if his knees hold up.
Post #: 4926
RE: Gopher Football - 9/19/2014 7:50:40 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl H

First off, I agree with a lot of what Brad stated. After the first game I said they need to work on the passing game against the easier non-conference teams. To me, that is biggest downfall this year. However, I will respond to a few other things:

The Big Ten is as bad as it has been in 50 years, and the Gophers are still not a factor.

The Big Ten always seems to be in "down year". The results this year have been bad & I would say they are behind ALL of the other power 5 conferences. But lets not get too carried away. It seems like Mich State got blown out by Oregon, but lets not forget they were leading that game very late into the 3rd qtr...on the road. The 4th qtr meltdown makes it hard to remember the first 45 minutes, much of which were back and forth.

Seriously, I could find 8-10 JUCO quarterbacks that would start immediately for the Gophers, and many of them are not getting recruited. Not to mention about 100 wide receivers that would make Wolitarski look like he is standing in cement.

You mean like your boy Hayo Carpenter? Drew's game is clearly as a bigger, possession type WR, so why crack about his speed?

I know there is a lot of people that like Kill, but I have seen nothing in his tenure that separates him any of the other coaches we have had over the past 20 years. In fact, the offense looks more prehistoric now than it did when he took over.

I don't agree with everything Kill does. I hate the way he burns redshirts. Seems we disagree 100% on the value of 5th year seniors. Also, already talked about the passing game. That being said, I really like the way he does things off the field. He brings in STUDENT athletes, holds them accountable, and really seems to help mold them as people. I wouldn't hesitate to send a kid of mine into his program. But he's hired to win games I suppose. Won 8 of them last year which is more than most seasons at Minnesota of the last several years. That's probably what we can expect from this staff.

He is rotating in three slow tight ends and still running the ball about 75% of the time.

TE is a strength on this team (for better or worse). Maxx Williams is an NFL player if his knees hold up.

Going to disagree with you on the Big Ten thing. Michigan State is legit. I will not deny that. In fact, had there been a 4-team playoff last season they would have been tough to beat. However, outside of that Ohio State is a decent club and that is where it stops. Sorry Wisconsin fans but you are vastly overrated every year! Lets also not forget, the Big Ten now has 14 programs. Take away the top two teams and there is little difference between the Big Ten and the MAC, CUSA or Mountain West.

Maxx Williams is a decent college tight end, but I don't see him as an NFL tight end. He isn't very fast or flexible. He would get hammered in the Sunday league.

Hayo Carpenter was a bust, no denial on my part. There is 50 guys under scholarship on that program right now that are a bust.

< Message edited by Bradley H -- 9/19/2014 7:55:43 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 4927
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 9:15:13 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

They just gave Kill an extension. No way they bring in a guy from Oregon (or any other program). Like the style or not, we are "stuck" with these guys for about 3 more years, at least. And, Kill aint bringing in an outsider. I have a better chance of sprouting 4.2 speed with a rocket arm, college eligibility and on Kill's RADAR.

That was my biggest apprehension when Kill came in. You knew you were getting not only Kill but an established set of cronies who have been with him forever. While on one hand, some continuity is a welcome changeā€¦I think shortly before Kill they had gone through 4 offensive coordinators in 4 years, the flip side is, you get the feeling that Kill would be utterly unable to objectively judge if someone else could be doing a better job and to fire one of the boys.
Post #: 4928
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 9:18:34 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. Loyalty to a fault can be devastating as we've found out over the year.

Denny Green - Solomon

Frazier - everything
Post #: 4929
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 10:14:00 AM   
TJSweens

It's one thing to be loyal to a perennial f*** up like Solomon. Kill has succeeded everywhere he has gone with his core staff. Given the track record, it's safe to say these guys must know what they are doing. Imagine trying to get through last year's seizure issues without the continuity they have. Most of us were ready to write the season off and they won 8 games.

All I know is that there are a lot of successful D1 coaches that hold Kill and his staff in high esteem.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4930
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 10:14:36 AM   
SoMnFan

We probably learn a lot today about where we are at.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4931
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 10:49:14 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Totally man. Need not a "good" showing but a dominating one. Lets build some momentum and confidence going in to league play.

And Sweens, I'm not down on Kill and agree with what you say. Just that, Karl brought up a good point. Loyalty can be great but it can lead to complacency. It's a dangerous thing sometimes. And i'll be honest. I'm not a fan of Limegrover at all. I've never liked our style of offense since Kill arrived.
Post #: 4932
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 10:52:06 AM   
SoMnFan

If we show up and feel sorry for ourselves today, then we have not moved forward AT ALL.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4933
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 11:08:16 AM   
TJSweens

Agreed Jeff. There is loyalty and there is loyalty to a fault. Let's hope in Kill's case it's straight loyalty.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 4934
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 11:12:32 AM   
TJSweens

I just checked Mase's record with the Gophers. His first 5 years went 3-9, 5-6, 8-4, 6-6, 4-7. Kill seems to be matching up pretty well. It really does take a good 5 years to transition from laughing stock status to competitive.

Post #: 4935
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 11:18:21 AM   
Bradley H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

It's one thing to be loyal to a perennial f*** up like Solomon. Kill has succeeded everywhere he has gone with his core staff. Given the track record, it's safe to say these guys must know what they are doing. Imagine trying to get through last year's seizure issues without the continuity they have. Most of us were ready to write the season off and they won 8 games.

All I know is that there are a lot of successful D1 coaches that hold Kill and his staff in high esteem.

Against UNLV, New Mexico State, Western Illinois, San Jose State, Northwestern, Nebraska, Indiana and Penn State. In short, they had one relevant win (Nebraska). And again, they lost all three rivalry games.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 4936
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 11:37:58 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I hold kill in high esteem too. I like him. I'm just pointing out that along with the positive of having dependable, stable assistants, there is a negative side - the inability to judge them objectively and be open to change.
Post #: 4937
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 11:40:21 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I thought Reusse's column was excellent today. Kill seemed to approach the whole TCU game with an attitude of not even wanting to be there. That was really disappointing.

The whole day and preparation leading up to it can be summarized by this - Down by 3 TD's and they get the ball with 3 minutes to go in the half and basically just run the clock out. He was probably too busy looking at his watch and making sure the flight back to Minneapolis was going to be on time than try to score.

Edit: link to the column http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/275855301.html

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 9/20/2014 12:04:09 PM >
Post #: 4938
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 12:21:26 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I thought Reusse's column was excellent today. Kill seemed to approach the whole TCU game with an attitude of not even wanting to be there. That was really disappointing.

The whole day and preparation leading up to it can be summarized by this - Down by 3 TD's and they get the ball with 3 minutes to go in the half and basically just run the clock out. He was probably too busy looking at his watch and making sure the flight back to Minneapolis was going to be on time than try to score.

Edit: link to the column http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/275855301.html

Maybe I'm not completely daft.
I had that feel last week, glad it wasn't imagined.
We played like it, too.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4939
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 12:25:09 PM   
SoMnFan

Sideline gal interviews Pitt coach on his way in at halftime
"Any concerns here at halftime as you lead Iowa"

"Uhh yeah, all kinds of em, and I'm not telling you a one"

Ummm, ok. "Thanks coach"

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4940
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 12:28:36 PM   
SoMnFan

College FB is just crazy lately
Western Illinois vs Northwestern.
If you just tuned in and didn't know the teams, you'd have a hard time telling which ones in a major conference.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4941
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 12:45:31 PM   
SoMnFan

Was reading today that we're almost last in the country in passing.
Not just our imagination.
Fix this, please.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4942
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 12:59:26 PM   
SoMnFan

Iowa gets back in vs Pitt
Awesome catch for a big gainer

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4943
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 1:00:22 PM   
SoMnFan

Wiscy pounding a pretty decent Bowling Green team.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4944
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 1:11:52 PM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

College FB is just crazy lately
Western Illinois vs Northwestern.
If you just tuned in and didn't know the teams, you'd have a hard time telling which ones in a major conference.

Western Illinois and Southern Illinois who are playing Purdue aren't even FBS.....they are FCS in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.

The Western Illinois Leathernecks are coached by the former Duluth head coach who lead Mn Duluth to two NCAA Div. II titles.

They have a pretty good program

still say that if NDSU was in the Big 10, they would be in the top third if not the top fourth of the conference. Especially if they were to get the same number of scholarships as FBS teams. They are 79th in RPI which is a complete joke. I would be surprised (shocked) if Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Iowa, MN, Penn State could beat them. The only three teams which would be a lock are Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Nebraska if the game were played in Lincoln.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 4945
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 1:16:51 PM   
SoMnFan

Agreed
The Bison can play.
Those who don't think so, get woke up reallll fast.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4946
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 1:19:57 PM   
SoMnFan

Iowa runs a stretch flip to their RB (to the short side of the field) on 3rd and 9 at the Pitt 35
How innovative
B10 FB at its finest

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4947
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 3:22:13 PM   
SoMnFan

Gouging em a little bit on this drive finally.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4948
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 3:22:29 PM   
SoMnFan

Featuring Cobb

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4949
RE: Gopher Football - 9/20/2014 3:28:24 PM   
SoMnFan

May have been the easiest 85 yard drive I've ever seen a Minnesota team execute.
Gashing runs. 9-10 yards at a crack.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4950
Page:   <<   < prev  196 197 [198] 199 200   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  196 197 [198] 199 200   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode