Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Gopher Football - 9/3/2007 5:32:55 AM   
Karl Juhnke

[quote="Matt Dahl"]Tim Brewster = Glen Mason Jr.[/quote] Funny. I was at the game, and when the Gophers came back from 21-0 and tied it I said "Brewster is the Anti-Mason" Mason racked up halftime leads that led to unbelievable 2nd half collapses. Brewster's team dug itself a first half hole and crawled out in the 2nd half. But then of course the Gophers found a way to lose, so maybe they're distant cousins or something. Honestly, Bowling Green is not a bad team. They play in a tough football conference. A step below the Big Ten, but certainly not different universes. I used to watch a lot of MAC football. The cream of the MAC could regularly beat the dregs of the Big Ten. Having said that, BG looked good but probably were playing a bit over their heads. They are not great and the Gophers certainly should have beat them. The pass defense looked scary bad. Wide open receivers and countless missed tackles. And BG had a pretty good, accurate passer who had a hot night, running a well executed, well planned short passing scheme. That was it in a nutshell. I fear it will be like the Vikings last year. After the Patriots took them apart with their quick hitting relentless passing scheme, the blueprint was set for how to beat the Vikings.
Post #: 51
RE:Gopher Football - 9/3/2007 4:40:31 PM   
Jim Frenette

I saw some high-lites of the game on the news last night and it appeared that 2 Gophers had a chance to knock the ball to the ground on the 2 Pt conversion. It was very close to being a victory.
Post #: 52
RE:Gopher Football - 9/3/2007 5:18:49 PM   
Karl Juhnke

[quote="Jim Frenette"]I saw some high-lites of the game on the news last night and it appeared that 2 Gophers had a chance to knock the ball to the ground on the 2 Pt conversion. It was very close to being a victory.[/quote] Yes I didn't realize how close it was to getting knocked down until I saw the highlight. We sitting in the opposite corner from there. But of course they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. It was a thoroughly entertaining game though. They found themselves stunned to be down 14 so fast but really made a gutty comeback. Hate to admit it on a Viking board, but give me a rousing college football game like that over the NFL any time as far as seeing it live. Way better atmospere than the louts and idiots that seem to permeate the NFL crowds these days. Gophers just need some pass defense though or Brewster's first season will be a long one. Also the young QB Weber's passes were habitually thrown behind receivers. Otherwise he seemed poised and ran the ball good too. The passing can probably be corrected. I'm guessing he wasn't used to the speed of NCAA game situation. Not the same as in practice.
Post #: 53
RE:Gopher Football - 9/3/2007 7:14:31 PM   
David Levine

[quote="Jim Frenette"]I saw some high-lites of the game on the news last night and it appeared that 2 Gophers had a chance to knock the ball to the ground on the 2 Pt conversion. It was very close to being a victory.[/quote] They also missed 2 pretty easy INTs on the drive that BG kicked the tying FG.
Post #: 54
RE:Gopher Football - 9/3/2007 8:04:13 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="David Levine"][quote="Jim Frenette"]I saw some high-lites of the game on the news last night and it appeared that 2 Gophers had a chance to knock the ball to the ground on the 2 Pt conversion. It was very close to being a victory.[/quote] They also missed 2 pretty easy INTs on the drive that BG kicked the tying FG.[/quote] Did you get to see the Game David? I listened and it sounded like Weber was missing his WR in the 1st and in the 2nd was pretty acurate. Maybe we can use the first game jitters. But no excuses for the secondary since they practice against the spread offense everyday.
Post #: 55
RE:Gopher Football - 9/3/2007 9:35:11 PM   
David Levine

[quote="Jim Frenette"][quote="David Levine"][quote="Jim Frenette"]I saw some high-lites of the game on the news last night and it appeared that 2 Gophers had a chance to knock the ball to the ground on the 2 Pt conversion. It was very close to being a victory.[/quote] They also missed 2 pretty easy INTs on the drive that BG kicked the tying FG.[/quote] Did you get to see the Game David? I listened and it sounded like Weber was missing his WR in the 1st and in the 2nd was pretty acurate. Maybe we can use the first game jitters. But no excuses for the secondary since they practice against the spread offense everyday.[/quote] Yeah, I watched it. Weber was horrible in the first half. The announcers, at the start of the 3rd, were talking about bringing in the back-up. They started running Weber a lot in the 2nd half and that seemed to get the jitters out of him and he played better after that. The secondary was horrible. They just knifed right through us on the first 2 possessions. They got a little better but they have a ton of improving to do.
Post #: 56
RE:Gopher Football - 9/3/2007 9:42:51 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="David Levine"][quote="Jim Frenette"][quote="David Levine"][quote="Jim Frenette"]I saw some high-lites of the game on the news last night and it appeared that 2 Gophers had a chance to knock the ball to the ground on the 2 Pt conversion. It was very close to being a victory.[/quote] They also missed 2 pretty easy INTs on the drive that BG kicked the tying FG.[/quote] Did you get to see the Game David? I listened and it sounded like Weber was missing his WR in the 1st and in the 2nd was pretty acurate. Maybe we can use the first game jitters. But no excuses for the secondary since they practice against the spread offense everyday.[/quote] Yeah, I watched it. Weber was horrible in the first half. The announcers, at the start of the 3rd, were talking about bringing in the back-up. They started running Weber a lot in the 2nd half and that seemed to get the jitters out of him and he played better after that. The secondary was horrible. They just knifed right through us on the first 2 possessions. They got a little better but they have a ton of improving to do.[/quote] Thanks David
Post #: 57
RE:Gopher Football - 9/4/2007 3:51:12 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="David Eldred"][quote="Matt Dahl"]Tim Brewster = Glen Mason Jr.[/quote] Except Mason at least beat the crappy teams. I understand the personnel on defense might not be top notch, but come on, it's Bowling Green, for crying out loud.[/quote] No, Mason managed to get upset by some of the human sacrifices he lined up for the non-conference schedule. Frankly I think Mason was glad to get canned when he did. I think he knew the talent void he would be dealing with this year and got out before his reputation could be completely destroyed. Brewster is taking over one of the least talented rosters in the last several years. The defensive talent is less than the "not top notch" classification you are giving them. Seriously there are high school defenses with more team speed than this year's Gophers D. Years of burning recruiting bridges caught up to Mason and he got out before the bottom fell out. It's going to take 3 good recruiting years to get the talent level to where it can compete in the Big Ten.
Post #: 58
RE:Gopher Football - 9/4/2007 5:09:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I saw the game and the thing that had me scratching my head (except for the obvious void of a passing D) was all the running by Weber. It seemed that every other play was either a QB draw or a straight QB dive from the shotgun. He is going to get murdered if that's our real offense.
Post #: 59
RE:Gopher Football - 9/8/2007 6:56:32 PM   
Kurtis

So is anybody watching or listening today? Hard to believe we're beating Miami! :itsgood: Miami of what?
Post #: 60
RE:Gopher Football - 9/8/2007 9:44:14 PM   
Jim Frenette

Same O same O. The Gopher defense is like Swiss Cheese
Post #: 61
RE:Gopher Football - 9/8/2007 10:16:18 PM   
Kurtis

Wow. Just--wow.
Post #: 62
RE:Gopher Football - 9/8/2007 10:27:14 PM   
Lynn G.

Geez - three overtimes to pull out that win. Phew!
Post #: 63
RE:Gopher Football - 9/8/2007 11:59:52 PM   
Kurtis

When it takes 3 OTs to beat Miami (OH), I think P.U. is the expression your looking for.
Post #: 64
RE:Gopher Football - 9/12/2007 5:15:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

We didn't even beat them. They just plain lost it in the end. Sad really. I will chock this up to a transitional year for Brewster. :oops:
Post #: 65
RE:Gopher Football - 9/12/2007 5:33:33 PM   
TJSweens

As I said before, the talent (especially defensive speed) isn't there. 10 years of Mason burning bridges in state and having to recruit players of questionable character from outside the state caught up to the program. I still maintain that Brewster will have to pull off 3 consecutive strong recruiting classes to get this program to where they can start to compete for that top slot behind Michigan and Ohio state on a yearly basis.
Post #: 66
RE:Gopher Football - 9/12/2007 6:04:51 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="TJSweens"]As I said before, the talent (especially defensive speed) isn't there. 10 years of Mason burning bridges in state and having to recruit players of questionable character from outside the state caught up to the program. I still maintain that Brewster will have to pull off 3 consecutive strong recruiting classes to get this program to where they can start to compete for that top slot behind Michigan and Ohio state on a yearly basis.[/quote] Thing is it will be tough to get some blue chip players to come here while the team is losing. If he pulls it off, he is a genius and will deserve the accolades.
Post #: 67
RE:Gopher Football - 9/14/2007 5:54:32 PM   
Lynn G.

The new stadium will help a bit.
Post #: 68
RE:Gopher Football - 9/14/2007 8:00:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Will he be around long enough to see it??
Post #: 69
RE:Gopher Football - 9/14/2007 8:55:12 PM   
TJSweens

I don't see how he wouldn't. 1. I think Maturi knew the decline in recruiting over the last few years. That is most likely why he emphasized recruiting ability when he hired Brewster. It wouldn't make much sense to fire him before he had a chance to utilize his strong suit. 2. 2 years would be a short time for Maturi to say wow did I make a mistake. 3. Brewster has already made huge strides in state. Mason lost a lot of Minnesota kids because their coaches advised them to go somewhere else. The Minnesota high school coaches already love Brewster. 4. I think ultimately Brewster will get the best out of what he has short term. He certainly brought in a couple of prominent coordinators and a pretty good staff over all.
Post #: 70
RE:Gopher Football - 9/14/2007 8:56:35 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Let me explain a little bit better. I believe he should be given a legit chance (3 years) to get this thing going. Right now it's not even his guys that he's putting out there. It's still Mason's motley crew. In 2 years the team will be made up of mostly the Brew crew. There shouldn't be any excuses at that point. His guys, stadium around the corner ect.... My question is this. Will the fans and regents give him the opportunity to stick around long enough to make it work? After about a decade of Mason football my patience is wearing pretty thin but I'm trying to hang in there.
Post #: 71
RE:Gopher Football - 9/15/2007 8:33:37 PM   
Kurtis

Wow, the Gophers suck. I think they'll go without a win from here on out.
Post #: 72
RE:Gopher Football - 9/15/2007 8:42:44 PM   
Jake Carlson

I forget. What was Brewster's appeal? I've read that they had a large group of potential recruits from the state of FL coming to this game, so I guess we can now scratch FL off our list of states to recruit!! Nothing like convincing a bunch of young kids to stay as far away as possible from your pathetic program with an embarrassing showing.
Post #: 73
RE:Gopher Football - 9/16/2007 2:33:53 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Give him a year or two guys. Remember, this is still Mason's guys he's playing with. Mason recruited guys for his system and not a spread offense. I have no idea what to say about the D.
Post #: 74
RE:Gopher Football - 9/16/2007 4:57:09 PM   
Jake Carlson

Jeff, to be honest, I wasn't really expecting much this year (although I did expect them to win most of the soft part of the schedule, I did expect them to be in the bottom few of the Big10). I like the OC he brought in but would question the DC at this point, but where Brewster better show results in my mind is his recruiting results. If he doesn't land some quality recruits including in-state guys like Floyd, then I'm going to be questioning how long he should be around.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode