Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Gopher Football - 9/16/2007 7:00:55 PM   
David Levine

Saw the "highlights" on BTN. Wow. I'm not sure I've ever seen worse tackling.
Post #: 76
RE:Gopher Football - 9/17/2007 3:55:33 PM   
TJSweens

As I said before they just don't have the athletes on the defensive side of the ball. What is happening this year defensively is nothing new except that the team defense is even slower than usual. Everett Withers is a proven commodity as a defensive coach. If he can't develop any play makers out of this bunch, Mason's staff certainly wasn't going to. The turn overs on offense have to be corrected, which I believe they can as part of it is a lot of guys adapting to a new system and a red shirt freshman QB. Dunbar is one of only to OC's to produce offenses that averaged over 500 yds a game in the Big 10 when he was with Northwestern. He has better athletes to work with than Withers, so I think he will develop a fairly productive offense over the course of the season. Someone asked what Brewster's appeal is supposed to be. His forte is supposed to be recruiting. As prominent a college recruiting evaluator as Tom Lemmings says Brewster is one of the best recruiters he has ever seen. The problem is that it will be at least 3 years before we really know if that is true. He has already made significant inroads in Minnesota. Even Floydd from CDH doesn't come here he has already locked down some of the top in state recruits. Mike Grant the coach of the most successful high school program in the state endorses the Gophers to his players where he never did with Mason. Look, the selection of Brewster didn't bowl me over when they made it. Based on his track record as a recruiter and the fact that he nailed down top coordinators to lead his staff, I am willing to give him a few years before I say he is either a good hire or another Jim Wacker/Joe Salem.
Post #: 77
RE:Gopher Football - 9/17/2007 7:26:03 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I am willing to give him a few years before I say he is either a good hire or another Jim Wacker/Joe Salem. Yup, exactly. Like I said, it's not even his guys yet. I liken it back to Gopher hockey about 5 years ago. At that point we were pretty much also-rans (meaning we were good but never championship quality good). After that first championship every top recruit in the country was flocking to the U. Brewster is under that same dilemma now. He can be the greatest recruiter in the world, but until this team is look upon as a winner, it'll be hard to get the blue chippers. If you're a 4 star recruit coming out of Tex, Florida, Cali or Ohio and your being recruited by USC, TX, OSU ect...are you coming to Minnesota? Not a chance. He needs a Johny Pohl, Jordan Leopold, Jeff Taffe, Matt Koalska type recruiting class. Guys from MN that can make the team competitive. Once he gets that, he set his sites on the big recruits.
Post #: 78
RE:Gopher Football - 9/20/2007 2:44:24 AM   
Karl Juhnke

So what's the over/under for Purdue passing yards Saturday. I conservatively put it at around 450, because they'll run most of the 4th quarter. They'll be in clock killing mode by then. It's too bad because the offense has a chance to be pretty good this year. Their only wins this year are going to be high scoring shootouts. And you have to wonder how many of them they can manage. 2? 3?
Post #: 79
RE:Gopher Football - 9/20/2007 2:38:32 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

The thought of a good Purdue offense facing our D right now is frightening. They used to put up incredible numbers when we actually could stop people. I'm hoping smoke and mirrors allow the Gophers D to hold the yardage under record-breaking amounts. I'm not holding my breath. Only hope is to hang on to the ball and kill some clock, we used to be good at that. Worried about the effect a 1-or-2 win season will have on recruiting for Brewster. Takes a long time to recover, and we've been on that long road forever.
Post #: 80
RE:Gopher Football - 9/20/2007 4:14:10 PM   
TJSweens

I don't recall a Gopher team that could stop anyone since the Holtz/Gutekenst era. As far as recruiting he can certainly sell kids on the notion that there will be abundant opportunity to play right away, which is one of the most effective recruiting tools there is. The Pioneer Press has an article on Willie Mobley of Eden Prairie igh school. This kid is a much more important recruit to nail down than Michael Floyd. http://www.twincities.com/prep/ci_6942302?nclick_check=1
Post #: 81
RE:Gopher Football - 9/20/2007 4:28:21 PM   
Karl Juhnke

The new stadium should help a bit in recruiting too. It would be fun to be a part of that. The dome just doesn't cut it for college atmosphere. It would be good for everyone if they could get it together enough for another 5-6 win season. I know, more same old, same old. But it would at least avoid the perception that the program has fallen completely off the deep end, Wacker style. I’m not holding my breath though. Yes last year’s team went to a bowl (where they had a colossal collapse), but they had 3 or 4 blowout losses, and a lucky 1 point win against ND state. The warning signs were there.
Post #: 82
RE:Gopher Football - 9/20/2007 11:46:48 PM   
Lynn G.

[quote="TJSweens"] The Pioneer Press has an article on Willie Mobley of Eden Prairie igh school. This kid is a much more important recruit to nail down than Michael Floyd. [/quote] We may be helped by the fact that Mike Grant seems to like Tim Brewster. His own son has committed to play for the U, correct? I think that relationship will help Eden Prairie kids look at the U favorably.
Post #: 83
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 12:45:55 AM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="Lynn Garthwaite"][quote="TJSweens"] The Pioneer Press has an article on Willie Mobley of Eden Prairie igh school. This kid is a much more important recruit to nail down than Michael Floyd. [/quote] We may be helped by the fact that Mike Grant seems to like Tim Brewster. His own son has committed to play for the U, correct? I think that relationship will help Eden Prairie kids look at the U favorably.[/quote] Good Point Lynn. Let's hope so
Post #: 84
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 2:27:31 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

[quote="So.Mn.Fan"]The thought of a good Purdue offense facing our D right now is frightening. They used to put up incredible numbers when we actually could stop people. Or at least kinda, sorta slow them down slightly on their way to points. I'm hoping smoke and mirrors allow the Gophers D to hold the yardage under record-breaking amounts. I'm not holding my breath. Only hope is to hang on to the ball and kill some clock, we used to be good at that. Worried about the effect a 1-or-2 win season will have on recruiting for Brewster. Takes a long time to recover, and we've been on that long road forever.[/quote] That better? :roll:
Post #: 85
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 4:01:10 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Jim Frenette"][quote="Lynn Garthwaite"][quote="TJSweens"] The Pioneer Press has an article on Willie Mobley of Eden Prairie igh school. This kid is a much more important recruit to nail down than Michael Floyd. [/quote] We may be helped by the fact that Mike Grant seems to like Tim Brewster. His own son has committed to play for the U, correct? I think that relationship will help Eden Prairie kids look at the U favorably.[/quote] Good Point Lynn. Let's hope so[/quote] Like I said, Grant used to steer his players away from Mason. Now his son or nephew (it's Bud's grandson, but I don't know if it's Mike's son) committed to Brewster with Mike's blessing. Grant holds a lot of influence with the other coaches in the state. I think regardless of where Floyd commits, Brewster has already stemmed the flow of recruits out of the state and is on his way to locking down the borders. He pouring a lot of energy into establishing recruiting networks in Florida, Texas and California.
Post #: 86
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 4:51:25 PM   
Lynn G.

It's Mike's son. Plays QB at Eden Prairie but I hear the Gophers recruited him as a DB.
Post #: 87
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 4:54:00 PM   
TJSweens

We all know they are in desperate need of DB's. I really hope Brewster can get his younger son to back out of his commitment to Texas and come here. It sounds like he is a more prominent recruit than Clint was.
Post #: 88
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 4:56:05 PM   
Jim Frenette

And there is another Grant on the team this year. Oct 5 we all have an opportunity to see Mobley play ourselves as FSN will be airing Eden Prairie v Tonka that night. I love it that they are doing more HS games this year and not just Metro teams. My Alma Mater is #7 in class 5 right now.
Post #: 89
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 5:20:31 PM   
Jeff Jesser

UGHH. I just realized that the game this week will be on primetime and in HD on ESPN 2. 8 PM for you guys. That's great in the fact that we get to see them but I can't think of a worse match up to introduce Brewster and his kids to the world.
Post #: 90
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 5:36:45 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="Jeff Jesser"]UGHH. I just realized that the game this week will be on primetime and in HD on ESPN 2. 8 PM for you guys. That's great in the fact that we get to see them but I can't think of a worse match up to introduce Brewster and his kids to the world.[/quote] Who needs the BTN when ESPN will be picking up games now and having them in HD
Post #: 91
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 7:31:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

BTN is great Fargo. I've caught 2 of the 3 Gopher games so far......all though...maybe that's not a good thing. I also see that because of the extended coverage from the BTN, only 1 Gopher Hockey game won't be televised this year. That's outstanding!!!
Post #: 92
RE:Gopher Football - 9/21/2007 11:30:16 PM   
Jim Frenette

But Jeff, FSN had all of the hockey games anyway. Now BTN steals 5 games.
Post #: 93
RE:Gopher Football - 9/22/2007 2:20:07 AM   
David Levine

BTN is a godsend when you live outside of Minnesota.
Post #: 94
RE:Gopher Football - 9/22/2007 2:44:53 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Fargo, FSN carried a boat load for sure but not all. They would always miss about 10 games a year. Anything Alaska and some of the early season poo-poo's.
Post #: 95
RE:Gopher Football - 9/23/2007 3:25:31 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Not real sure what to say after that debacle last night. Horrible start, frantic finish, stupid mistakes all over the place, some great plays and some real bone-headed ones. The fumbled sure touchdown was a killer, but the poor start was the ultimate game-breaker. Loved the efforts of Shevlin/Decker/Weber and the newest stud runner. Gave up 45 pts, which was to be expected. Really susceptible to the draws and delays whenever we had them 2nd-or-3rd and long. Which means, (as many have said), the team speed needs an upgrade, especially on D. I think we may have found a quarterback, and the Decker kid proves Mn kids can be explosive athletes when given the chance. Nebraska and ND have proven that over the years, why haven't the Gophers? Looks to me like the bottom-feeders in the Big Ten have improved, and the top has come back to the pack. Unfortunately, we're still looking up. But there are some guys to build around. The goal right now should be to play their first complete game of the season, all they have played to this point is "halves". Hit the roads and find some players to play in that new stadium. Stay on task, get guys who can tackle. Build a D and the rest of the players will come. Ol'Squid even had some inside info on that ... Recruits here The only bright spot in the Gophers' 45-31 loss against Purdue on Saturday night was the presence of six out-of-state recruits at the game. They learned from the performance that there are many starting spots for any player who wants to start as a freshman. Gophers football coach Tim Brewster said that recruiting for the 2008 class is going well, and he is confident that he will bring in one of the top classes next fall. For Minnesota to become a contender, it needs to improve the defense 100 percent. These are players who can help do that. Among the recruits on hand were: Bryan Jones, from Forrest High School in Jacksonville, Fla.; D.L Wilhite, Lexington, Ky.; defensive back Simoni Lawrence, Valley Forge Military Academy, Upper Darby, Pa.; linebacker Terrell Combs, Lexington, Ky.; linebacker Anthony Lewis, Aldine, Texas; and running back LaMichael James from Liberty-Eylau High School in Texarkana, Texas.
Post #: 96
RE:Gopher Football - 9/24/2007 5:09:38 PM   
Jeff Jesser

all they have played to this point is "halves". It's crazy. That's the same thing we learned to hate about Mason's teams. The one bright spot was the HD. That ass whooping was crystal clear :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Post #: 97
RE:Gopher Football - 9/27/2007 7:35:30 AM   
Karl H

Yeah, the defense was almost painful to watch. It looked like Purdue was just more talented, and certainly faster than us (no one could cover their WR - #9). I guess some years Glen Mason got defensive speed with 240 pound DT's and 200 pound LB's. Not sure that's the way to go. And next year, I believe we lose 2 of 3 starting LB's and like 3 of 4 starting DB's? Ordinarily thats a bad thing....but I'm not sure it is with this crew!! On a positive note, there were a few times when the team could have just quit. Down by 3 TD's or so....and things slipping away. It could have been a blowout. But they didn't quit. For the most part, they played hard and fought back. I guess that's something to build on until better players arrive.....
Post #: 98
RE:Gopher Football - 9/27/2007 3:48:35 PM   
TJSweens

It sounds like Brewster got verbal commitments from a couple of defensive players from Kentucky. No idea if they are any good.
Post #: 99
RE:Gopher Football - 9/27/2007 6:37:19 PM   
Matt Dahl

[quote="TJSweens"]It sounds like Brewster got verbal commitments from a couple of defensive players from Kentucky. No idea if they are any good.[/quote] If we went all the way to Kentucky looking for these guys, we must assume they're pretty good.
Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode