Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Gopher Football - 9/29/2007 6:33:01 PM   
lylej

Here is a man with a plan regarding tailgaiting at a Gopher's game!! http://www.startribune.com/535/story/1452625.html
Post #: 101
RE:Gopher Football - 10/1/2007 5:21:36 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

[quote="Matt Dahl"][quote="TJSweens"]It sounds like Brewster got verbal commitments from a couple of defensive players from Kentucky. No idea if they are any good.[/quote] If we went all the way to Kentucky looking for these guys, we must assume they're pretty good.[/quote] Saw some film on one of the guys at running back. Big strong dude who looked very athletic and liked to run over people. I take him and make him a linebacker, immediately. :nodding:
Post #: 102
RE:Gopher Football - 10/1/2007 6:06:00 PM   
Jim Frenette

Saturday I noticed in the first half that the Buckeye RB would go forward like he was going between center nad guard and then break it to the outside. This was happening all night long. If I could see what they were trying to do, why couldn't the Gopher coaching staff?
Post #: 103
RE:Gopher Football - 10/1/2007 7:20:09 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="Jim Frenette"]Saturday I noticed in the first half that the Buckeye RB would go forward like he was going between center nad guard and then break it to the outside. This was happening all night long. If I could see what they were trying to do, why couldn't the Gopher coaching staff?[/quote] At some point the players have to recognize and adjust. If a guy beats you with the same move over and over it isn't the coaches. It's the players.
Post #: 104
RE:Gopher Football - 10/1/2007 7:23:12 PM   
TJSweens

Pioneer Press article on Brewster's recruiting. http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_7041437?nclick_check=1 Recruiting expert Tom Lemming has noticed that the Gophers are after an impressive crop of players. Brewster's best commitment is from Champlin Park linebacker Sam Maresh, one of the top three players in Minnesota. "They have good players committed, but they're in on some great ones," said Lemming, a College Sports Television analyst. "This is the best recruiting staff that I've seen at Minnesota."
Post #: 105
RE:Gopher Football - 10/1/2007 8:35:53 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

[quote="TJSweens"]Pioneer Press article on Brewster's recruiting. http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_7041437?nclick_check=1 Recruiting expert Tom Lemming has noticed that the Gophers are after an impressive crop of players. Brewster's best commitment is from Champlin Park linebacker Sam Maresh, one of the top three players in Minnesota. "They have good players committed, but they're in on some great ones," said Lemming, a College Sports Television analyst. "This is the best recruiting staff that I've seen at Minnesota." [/quote] That right there is more important than any Big 10 wins this year. Beat the bushes, get some kids who want to play early and often, and who are ready to. That is one thing they can offer. Why sit and watch for a year or two at a powerhouse? Get here and PLAY, kid. Good news Tim.
Post #: 106
RE:Gopher Football - 10/1/2007 11:13:31 PM   
TJSweens

[quote="So.Mn.Fan"] That right there is more important than any Big 10 wins this year.[/quote] Exactly. Brewster was hired as a recruiter. Let's not judge him too harshly until we see how that aspect of his program pans out. I would rather the head man be a great recruiter. He has a couple of top flight coordinators to handle the X's and O's.
Post #: 107
RE:Gopher Football - 10/2/2007 12:12:03 AM   
Jim Frenette

Thursday night on FSN, we will see Eden Prairie and Mobley. I'll be waiting to see if there is a Brewster sighting
Post #: 108
RE:Gopher Football - 10/3/2007 3:54:15 PM   
Karl Juhnke

[quote="TJSweens"][quote="So.Mn.Fan"] That right there is more important than any Big 10 wins this year.[/quote] Exactly. Brewster was hired as a recruiter. Let's not judge him too harshly until we see how that aspect of his program pans out. I would rather the head man be a great recruiter. He has a couple of top flight coordinators to handle the X's and O's.[/quote] I think recruiting was the main emphasis in hiring Brewster. And from all reports he's good at it. That's really where it all begins and ends. Recruiting. Two parts: Scouting/evaluating...deciding which players to go for, and secondly to then sell those players on coming to here to play. Sounds like Brewster has the selling part down. I think it will be a couple of years before we can judge total success. Next year they will be freshmen and while some may contribute right away, anything you get out of freshmen must be considered a gift. By the year after, when they're sophs you can legitimately plan to rely on them more...bolstered of course by the next round of Brewster freshmen recruits.
Post #: 109
RE:Gopher Football - 10/3/2007 4:38:30 PM   
TJSweens

I stand by what I said before; Brewster is going to need 3 consecutive very good recruiting classes just to get the talent level to where it can start competing at Wisconsin's level. The team that is perennially right behind Ohio State and Michigan.
Post #: 110
RE:Gopher Football - 10/3/2007 5:25:41 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="TJSweens"]I stand by what I said before; Brewster is going to need 3 consecutive very good recruiting classes just to get the talent level to where it can start competing at Wisconsin's level. The team that is perennially right behind Ohio State and Michigan.[/quote] I see he got another commitment yesterday. The #46th CB in the nation according to Rival.
Post #: 111
RE:Gopher Football - 10/12/2007 4:18:02 PM   
TJSweens

From the Pioneer Press Brewster landed a 4 star recruit at WR. This should reduce the need to get Floyd. I still think the DL from Eden Prairie is a more is a more important in state recruit than Floyd. Brewster gets big recruit: Milford Academy (N.Y.) wide receiver Vincent Hill gave an oral commitment Thursday to play for the Gophers football team. The 6-foot, 190-pounder is Gophers coach Tim Brewster's best recruit to date. Hill ranks as a four-star recruit and the 16th-best 2008 prep school player, according to rivals.com. "I think I fit in good at Minnesota," said Hill, who has 15 catches for 275 yards and two touchdowns this season. "I'm a playmaker. I'm a go-getter. Throw me the ball; I'm going to get it." Milford Academy assistant coach Roy Istvan said Hill should be ready to be an immediate contributor in the Big Ten Conference next season. "When guys can come here and perform, we know they will be good at the next level," Istvan said. "Vince is a receiver that can run, catch and block. His possibilities are endless." As a senior at Fort Washington Friendly High School in 2006, Hill caught 67 passes for 1,390 yards and 22 touchdowns. He finished with 43 career touchdown catches, a Maryland public school record.
Post #: 112
RE:Gopher Football - 10/12/2007 4:45:18 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="TJSweens"]From the Pioneer Press Brewster landed a 4 star recruit at WR. This should reduce the need to get Floyd. I still think the DL from Eden Prairie is a more is a more important in state recruit than Floyd. Brewster gets big recruit: Milford Academy (N.Y.) wide receiver Vincent Hill gave an oral commitment Thursday to play for the Gophers football team. The 6-foot, 190-pounder is Gophers coach Tim Brewster's best recruit to date. Hill ranks as a four-star recruit and the 16th-best 2008 prep school player, according to rivals.com. "I think I fit in good at Minnesota," said Hill, who has 15 catches for 275 yards and two touchdowns this season. "I'm a playmaker. I'm a go-getter. Throw me the ball; I'm going to get it." Milford Academy assistant coach Roy Istvan said Hill should be ready to be an immediate contributor in the Big Ten Conference next season. "When guys can come here and perform, we know they will be good at the next level," Istvan said. "Vince is a receiver that can run, catch and block. His possibilities are endless." As a senior at Fort Washington Friendly High School in 2006, Hill caught 67 passes for 1,390 yards and 22 touchdowns. He finished with 43 career touchdown catches, a Maryland public school record. [/quote] A WR in a spread offense? I guess it is a good fit. :) I wonder what his 40 is? Must be good to be rated that high.
Post #: 113
RE:Gopher Football - 10/12/2007 4:49:46 PM   
Jeff Jesser

That's awesome because Decker is the perfect compliment to a guy like that. Decker is a great possession WR.
Post #: 114
RE:Gopher Football - 10/12/2007 5:51:46 PM   
TJSweens

This is probably one of the guys Tom Lemming was talking about when he said Brewster was in the hunt for some really good players. Four star is the highest rating and Brewster just landed one.
Post #: 115
RE:Gopher Football - 10/12/2007 6:39:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I would like to see him start nabbing some 4 star D guys but I certainly won't complain about this.
Post #: 116
RE:Gopher Football - 10/12/2007 8:06:49 PM   
Jim Frenette

[quote="Jeff Jesser"]I would like to see him start nabbing some 4 star D guys but I certainly won't complain about this.[/quote] Bingo
Post #: 117
RE:Gopher Football - 10/13/2007 10:13:59 PM   
Jim Frenette

Well the Gophers chocked away another win. Up 35-14 late in 3rd qtr only to lose in OT. Brewster did show some thing by going for 2 in the 2nd OT. He could have played it safe and went to the 3rd, I like his courage here.
Post #: 118
RE:Gopher Football - 10/15/2007 6:43:52 PM   
TJSweens

Brewster got a commitment from ILB Gary Tinsley of Jacksonville, FL. 6'-1", 220 lbs, 4.6 40. Rivals rates him as a 3 star (4 is highest) recruit. Rate him 38 at position in the country. They gave him a rating of 5.5, which means: All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team Looks like another good commitment.
Post #: 119
RE:Gopher Football - 10/15/2007 8:08:00 PM   
Jim Frenette

Now to get a couple of strong 290 lbs DT to push the Oline back a few yards
Post #: 120
RE:Gopher Football - 10/17/2007 4:09:17 PM   
TJSweens

Pretty cool article on Tyler Johnson, an Iraqi war vet who walked on with the Gophers this year. http://www.startribune.com/512/story/1489478.html
Post #: 121
RE:Gopher Football - 10/18/2007 4:09:36 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Some very good athletes on the field last night in the Edina/Wayzata barnburner. FSN needs to keep letting us see these in-state guys. Nice to see many of the state's best hockey players are very good at football as well. Good game. Overall speed of the MN athlete seems to be getting better. Note to the Gophers - you play in the Big Ten .... act like it. North Dakota does not. Never thought I'd see the day they would come into the Gophers house and scare the crap out of them. But they have reached that level. Nothing will surprise me Saturday, either way. A Gopher domination would be a relief more than an expectation. A Bison victory wouldn't shock me at all.
Post #: 122
RE:Gopher Football - 10/20/2007 7:50:17 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Jeezus, we are pathetic. Gave up 344 yds in the first half to a Great West school. No offense to ND State, I love their program. It just should not roll thru a Big Ten defense, EVER. God, it's embarassing to be a Gopher fan these days. 259 frickin yds on the ground. In one frickin half of football. On a D that returned most of it's starters. Need I go on? :bang: Ok, Ok, there's more.... A real program like Wisconsin steps away from Big 10 play today as well. I'm sure they'll struggle too, right? Ummmmmmmmmmm, hell no. 31-0 at the half. THAT's the way it's supposed to happen.
Post #: 123
RE:Gopher Football - 10/20/2007 9:25:37 PM   
Jim Frenette

Dang a AA school just pushed the Gophers defense around, what will it be like next week in Michigan? I don't understand what was going on, but the first TD I thought they said it was a screen pass and then the rest of the day it seemed like they bgave Ruele the yards as rushing.
Post #: 124
RE:Gopher Football - 10/20/2007 9:31:08 PM   
Lynn G.

So is this the definition of "rock bottom?" They can't go anywhere but UP, right? :shock:
Post #: 125
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE:Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode