Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  341 342 [343] 344 345   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 1/6/2017 4:46:29 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

First of all let me say that I have no idea if Fleck is at long last the guy to lead us out of decades of embarrassment and mediocrity. What I do like is that Coyle identified his guy right away and went out and got him. We were spared the embarrassing cluster f***s that were previous major coach searches conducted by Teague and Maturi.

After hearing about how Norwood had a short list of BB coaches in his pocket at all times courtesy of his great Villa 7 program, we were subjected to a series of thanks but no thanks response including Flip Saunders who absolutely bled maroon & gold before settling for Pitino based on his name more than any accomplishments. Joel Maturi was even worse by first using an outside service to get us Basement Brew and then going through an embarrassing string of talking to coaches without getting permission from the schools’ permission first, getting doors slammed in his face, having alumni urging coaches not to come and work for him and finally settling on Kill and trying to pass him off as his first choice.

Coyle has a bit more of a major league feel to him than our last couple of AD's. From his comments when announcing the firing of Claeys, I got the sense that he knows you have to invest in a real coach and be ready to pay him at this level. He seems to understand that an athletic department at this level is a big time operation and it has to be run as such. Athletic departments have to be self-funding and the success of high revenue sports is crucial. I don’t know if he got the right guy or not. I do appreciate the way he went about getting him though.

Good post Sweens.

Agree on Coyle moving both swiftly and decisively and landing the hot up and coming coach.

I also give Coyle credit for having the stones to fire Claeys. Seriously, this guy does not belong on anything other than a HS sideline. he is an over weight dufus and needed to go.

Claeys may have been a nice guy but nice guys finish last in this business. I can't imagine him walking into a recruits living room and making a good impression. Plus, recruiting is a hussle type job. Not all cookies and milk.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8551
RE: Gopher Football - 1/6/2017 5:33:18 PM   
Steve Lentz

If nothing else Claeys went out with a remarkable coaching job in guiding the Gophers in their bowl game. Completely out coached and upset a heavily favored Washington State team.

Hopefully Fleck can take this team up another level.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 1/6/2017 9:33:37 PM >

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 8552
RE: Gopher Football - 1/6/2017 6:17:32 PM   
Karl Juhnke

After Fleck was on KFAN, they had on a SI writer who spent a lot of time with Fleck and wrote a feature piece on him. He was very complimentary, said Fleck was like no other coach he's ever been around. A new breed. A perfect coach for relating to millennials.

The guy bristled at the Brewster comparison. He cut Barreiro off mid question, said Fleck is far more accomplished, smart and genuine.
Post #: 8553
RE: Gopher Football - 1/6/2017 6:19:54 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Sounds like Sid and his broken hip are going to be at the Press Conference (according to Chip Scoggins).

With a Tape Recorder plugged into a microphone.

More likely plugged in to a tomato at this point.
Post #: 8554
RE: Gopher Football - 1/6/2017 6:20:58 PM   
stfrank

First impression of Fleck from someone who doesn't follow college football much at all any more and knows nothing about the guy......
I watched a few minutes of the presser on the TV news tonight and in that time all I could think of was......another snake oil salesman........oh boy won't this be fun.
Post #: 8555
RE: Gopher Football - 1/6/2017 7:56:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

After Fleck was on KFAN, they had on a SI writer who spent a lot of time with Fleck and wrote a feature piece on him. He was very complimentary, said Fleck was like no other coach he's ever been around. A new breed. A perfect coach for relating to millennials.

The guy bristled at the Brewster comparison. He cut Barreiro off mid question, said Fleck is far more accomplished, smart and genuine.

I heard the same interview. The guy was adamant that Fleck is in no way, shape or form anything like Tim Brewster. Not Basement Brew. Not another snake oil salesman. He says Fleck is the real deal.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8556
RE: Gopher Football - 1/6/2017 10:49:40 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

First of all let me say that I have no idea if Fleck is at long last the guy to lead us out of decades of embarrassment and mediocrity. What I do like is that Coyle identified his guy right away and went out and got him. We were spared the embarrassing cluster f***s that were previous major coach searches conducted by Teague and Maturi.
After hearing about how Norwood had a short list of BB coaches in his pocket at all times courtesy of his great Villa 7 program, we were subjected to a series of thanks but no thanks response including Flip Saunders who absolutely bled maroon & gold before settling for Pitino based on his name more than any accomplishments. Joel Maturi was even worse by first using an outside service to get us Basement Brew and then going through an embarrassing string of talking to coaches without getting permission from the schools’ permission first, getting doors slammed in his face, having alumni urging coaches not to come and work for him and finally settling on Kill and trying to pass him off as his first choice.
Coyle has a bit more of a major league feel to him than our last couple of AD's. From his comments when announcing the firing of Claeys, I got the sense that he knows you have to invest in a real coach and be ready to pay him at this level. He seems to understand that an athletic department at this level is a big time operation and it has to be run as such. Athletic departments have to be self-funding and the success of high revenue sports is crucial. I don’t know if he got the right guy or not. I do appreciate the way he went about getting him though.

I like how he had Fleck and Miles ready....no brainer to let Claeys go IMO. You don't sell out seats and with no new money coming in because Claeys & Kill weren't great fund raisers plus the new scandal had people picking one of Admin/Coach/Players. As bad as Brewster was as a coach I went to a Gophers Athletics fund raiser at Perham and Brainerd. I even was able to see Tubby in Perham one year. John Anderson always showed up to those whereas Tubby showed once in four years (our boss told them Tubby better come or no money as he was a big booster for the Baseball Team as his son was a stud for the team back in the day).

Brewster sure could fundraise even though Mason/Claeys/Kill were always the better coaches. Now hopefully we have the combo fundraiser/coach we need to move forward.

I did enjoy the defensive coaching job that Claeys did....we had a big time defense last year (even though the offense outside of Smith/Brooks stunk).

I never saw Claeys as the face of the program or a HC type person. I think he's a quality DC though. I give him props for the good D we've had during the fairly successful last few years.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 8557
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 7:11:45 AM   
Mr. Ed

http://www.si.com/college-football/2017/01/06/pj-fleck-minnesota-football-recruiting-five-players-switch

Quarterback Tanner Morgan, linebacker Trenton Guthrie, defensive end Esezi Otomewo, receiver Chris Bell and defensive tackle Noah Hickcox have flipped their recruiting decision from Western Michigan to Minnesota to follow head coach P.J. Fleck.

“After much prayer and discussion with my family, I am happy to announce that I have received an offer from and will be committing to the University of Minnesota,” Hickcox wrote on Twitter. “I love Western Michigan and all it has done for me but it has been a life long dream of mine and a promise that I made to my dad that if the opportunity came where I could play the sport I love in the B1G conference I would take it. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me, and helped make my dreams come true. Thank you.”

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8558
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 8:49:17 AM   
McMurfy

PJ Fleck,

Bringing Mid American Conference talent to the Big 14 conference since 2016.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 8559
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 10:00:50 AM   
TJSweens

Well, it is worth noting that Fleck's recruiting class is rated a lot higher than Claeys'.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8560
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 10:23:38 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Well, it is worth noting that Fleck's recruiting class is rated a lot higher than Claeys'.

At the end of the day, that's all that matters. You need to have talent to win. Guys like Mitch Leidner are not a way to win.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 8561
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 12:06:02 PM   
Ryan Buckingham

quote:

quote:

I heard the same interview. The guy was adamant that Fleck is in no way, shape or form anything like Tim Brewster. Not Basement Brew. Not another snake oil salesman. He says Fleck is the real deal.

I heard it as well, and the guy said "comparing Brewster and Fleck is a really lazy comparison. Fleck is a lot smarter than Tim Brewster, and a much better coach. He had approximately the 19th ranked recruiting class in the country at Western Michigan, a school with absolutely no success. They went 1-11 his first year, and he STILL had a great recruiting class. He out-recruited Minnesota for a defensive back. P.J. Fleck is like that when he wakes up. He is genuine and a self-made man. The guy is 5'8' and has a 30-inch waist, and he played in the NFL."

Stop with the comparison to Tim Brewster.

Improvise, overcome and adapt!
Post #: 8562
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 1:03:20 PM   
twinsfan

Sorry, we're not just going to "stop" with the comparison to Brewster until we see something that makes us forget about Brewster. Fair or not, probably not, but we DID have Brewster here, so the comparisons will remain for many of us fans that have lived thru the history here.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8563
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 3:45:16 PM   
Bill Jandro

I just hope there isn't a mass exit of any good current players.

Leidner seems to think so but pretty easy for him to say cuz he is already gone.

I believe under current rules any player transferring would be subject to sit out a year.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8564
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 3:57:08 PM   
Mr. Ed

per Yahoo,now six

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/6-recruits-flip-from-western-michigan-to-minnesota-on-p-j-flecks-first-day-162558217.html

P.J. Fleck has officially been the head coach at Minnesota for less than 24 hours, but he’s already made a much-needed impact on the recruiting trail.

On Friday, in the hours after he was introduced, six different players who were verbally committed to Fleck at Western Michigan made the flip to Minnesota, anxious for the opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Entering the day, Minnesota had 15 verbal commitments in its 2017 class. Now the total is up to 21 and the Gophers now have the 49th-best class in the country, according to Rivals.com.

The six players to make the switch are offensive lineman John Michael Schmitz, wide receiver Christopher Bell, quarterback Tanner Morgan, linebacker Trenton Guthrie — all three-star recruits — and defensive ends Noah Hickcox and Esezi Otomewo, both two-star recruits.

When Minnesota made the decision to move on from Tracy Claeys last week, one of the things (among many) athletic director Mark Coyle pointed to was recruiting. Minnesota has ranked toward the bottom among the Big Ten in recruiting in recent years. Even after Fleck’s flourish on Friday, the Gophers’ 2017 is ranked just No. 11 out of 14 Big Ten teams.

Fleck is known as a ferocious recruiter. When introduced to the media on Friday, he made it clear that recruiting is what makes his program go.

“The number one thing in this culture in this program is recruiting,” Fleck said. “Recruiting is the number one pipeline, and lifeline to any program. What does that mean? It means we are going to recruit our student-athletes every single day with the positivity and energy of the University of Minnesota football every day to think University of Minnesota is the greatest place on earth. That is what we’re going to do.”

Fleck said his recruiting strategy will start in the state of Minnesota, but will emphasize players from “six-to-seven hours” from the Twin Cities area. Of the six commitments from Friday, five are from the Midwest — three from Illinois, one from Michigan and one from Indiana. The other, Morgan, is from Kentucky.

Prospects following a coach from one school to another is not out of the ordinary, but perhaps not quite at this volume. When James Franklin left Vanderbilt for Penn State, he received some criticism for the same thing. With Franklin, three players flipped from Vanderbilt in his first three days at Penn State.

In the end, five players — including PSU’s current starting quarterback Trace McSorley — officially followed Franklin and signed with the Nittany Lions. Fleck passed that total in a single day, and there could be more to come.

National signing day is Feb. 1.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8565
RE: Gopher Football - 1/7/2017 7:17:36 PM   
Ryan Buckingham

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Sorry, we're not just going to "stop" with the comparison to Brewster until we see something that makes us forget about Brewster. Fair or not, probably not, but we DID have Brewster here, so the comparisons will remain for many of us fans that have lived thru the history here.

Then you're making a really "lazy comparison." Fleck has shown it on the field. Brewster had never been and never again will be a head football coach. Fleck has been a great recruiter and took Western Michigan to the Cotton Bowl. But I guess he's a talker and has his catch phrases, so he must be Tim Brewster. I think anyone that heard the interview on KFAN would feel pretty excited. Not the Fleck interview, the interview with the guy from Sports Illustrated who followed him around for days/a week.

Fleck should not have to overcome a comparison to Tim Brewster, but I believe he'll have no problems doing that. Because he eats difficult conversations for breakfast. I think he said that they taste like chicken. I had to roll my eyes when I heard that in the presser.

< Message edited by Ryan Buckingham -- 1/7/2017 7:54:45 PM >

Improvise, overcome and adapt!
Post #: 8566
RE: Gopher Football - 1/8/2017 1:28:01 PM   
Bruce Johnson

As I recall, and I could be corrected, Brewster did not come with head coach experience, but he was known as a terrific recruiter as an assistant. Was he at Texas? I forget where.

Checking here it says that he was at Texas under Mack Brown and was noted for his recruitment of Vince Young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Brewster

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 8567
RE: Gopher Football - 1/8/2017 5:47:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

As I recall, and I could be corrected, Brewster did not come with head coach experience, but he was known as a terrific recruiter as an assistant. Was he at Texas? I forget where.

Checking here it says that he was at Texas under Mack Brown and was noted for his recruitment of Vince Young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Brewster

The extent of Brewster's non-Gopher HC expeierince was 2 years of HS ball.
Post #: 8568
RE: Gopher Football - 1/9/2017 8:59:53 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I just hope there isn't a mass exit of any good current players.

Leidner seems to think so but pretty easy for him to say cuz he is already gone.

I believe under current rules any player transferring would be subject to sit out a year.

I'm sure a lot of players stupidly and impulsively thought about leaving. Just like they stupidly and impulsively made themselves look like idiots nationwide and got their coach fired in the process.

I'm confident Fleck can talk them off the ledge. And if there's a few who get away, good riddance.
Post #: 8569
RE: Gopher Football - 1/9/2017 9:03:02 AM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

PJ Fleck,

He had higher rated recruits than Minnesota.

If he can have that kind of recruiting success convincing kids to come to Kalamazoo, imagine what he can do now that he has a Big 10 school to sell.
Post #: 8570
RE: Gopher Football - 1/9/2017 9:17:15 AM   
SoMnFan

Love the energy
Love the plan
Love the promises

Then I looked at his YouTube collection at WMU
And I went into shock.
There's a fine line between enthusiasm and insanity.
His ideas for scripted audience participation ... Might be the craziest things I've ever heard a coach say.

Please get to work quietly, and turn down a couple interviews. Plenty to keep you busy young man.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8571
RE: Gopher Football - 1/9/2017 9:29:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

PJ Fleck,

He had higher rated recruits than Minnesota.
If he can have that kind of recruiting success convincing kids to come to Kalamazoo, imagine what he can do now that he has a Big 10 school to sell.

The one thing that will help is that the offense is bound to be better.....The defensive side has got to love that Leidner is gone. Maybe we can get some Offensive players due to what the QB/WR combo did at Western Michigan.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8572
RE: Gopher Football - 1/9/2017 2:15:47 PM   
Phil Riewer

Looks like Fleck is going to have the Arkansas Def Coordinator hired this week....Arkansas was ranked about 75th last year in total defense. MN was ranked 21st in total defense last year.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 1/9/2017 2:17:51 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8573
RE: Gopher Football - 1/9/2017 2:21:42 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Looks like Fleck is going to have the Arkansas Def Coordinator hired this week....Arkansas was ranked about 75th last year in total defense. MN was ranked 21st in total defense last year.

We will be ELITE.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8574
RE: Gopher Football - 1/9/2017 2:31:28 PM   
SoMnFan

I liked where we had gotten to on D

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 8575
Page:   <<   < prev  341 342 [343] 344 345   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  341 342 [343] 344 345   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode