Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  347 348 [349] 350 351   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 4/17/2017 10:53:03 AM   
SoMnFan

Wasn't judging Steve
Trust me
I'd give anything if we cared that much.
Just seems extreme to those of us who get burned every year.
Post #: 8701
RE: Gopher Football - 4/17/2017 12:52:46 PM   
Lynn G.

Good point about not having pro teams to distract them. Here, while the Gophers are working on spring workouts and a scrimmage, we have the Wild in the NHL playoffs, the Twins on a good start to a brand new season, a Minnesota United team making its debut and the NFL draft right around the corner. People have plenty of sports of a wide variety to hold their interest.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 8702
RE: Gopher Football - 4/17/2017 1:50:02 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Yeap. A team that's going to get swept in round 1 after accumilating more points in the regular season than ever, 1 that's going to end up dead last in the division, the worst pro soccer team on the planet and no 1st round pick.

MAN WE SUCK
Post #: 8703
RE: Gopher Football - 4/17/2017 2:01:18 PM   
Lynn G.

I forgot to mention the Timberwolves too who, while not making the playoffs (again) certainly have a lot of fans because basketball is very big.

We have all of the pro sports teams represented here as well as D1-D3 college, and people at all levels are very passionate about their teams.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 8704
RE: Gopher Football - 4/17/2017 3:28:36 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Wasn't judging Steve
Trust me

No sweat my friend.
I ALWAYS cheer for the Gophers except when they play Nebraska. Both teams have been mediocre for years. I feel the BURN!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 8705
RE: Gopher Football - 4/17/2017 3:39:13 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz
quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan
Wasn't judging Steve
Trust me

No sweat my friend.
I ALWAYS cheer for the Gophers except when they play Nebraska. Both teams have been mediocre for years. I feel the BURN!

Nebraska, Michigan, etc. draw even when they aren't dominate....not so much with the Gophers. They had one of their best seasons in a long time, hired a big name coach, and still didn't draw at the Spring game.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 8706
RE: Gopher Football - 4/17/2017 3:44:06 PM   
TJSweens

The problem is that our best season in a long time got overshadowed by a sexual assault scandal, expulsions, threatened boycots, appeals, appeals of appeals and a coach being fired despite decent success on the field. I wouldn't say Fleck is a big name coach. He is an up and comer from the Mid America Conference. Despite his enthusiasm and early recruiting success he is overcoming of mountain of negativity to generate interest.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8707
RE: Gopher Football - 4/18/2017 8:57:52 PM   
Karl Juhnke

I've said it before, but they're headed in the right direction. If anyone can get the community and campus behind the program it should be this guy. Claes did a decent coaching job but being a tireless promoter of the program just want his strong suit. That's what Fleck brings.

But there seems to be substance behind the sloganeering, unlike Brewster for example. Fleck can recruit and coach. The new facilities coming are huge too. Nothing should stop the gophers from recruiting success and that's where it all starts.
Post #: 8708
RE: Gopher Football - 4/19/2017 8:55:57 AM   
TJSweens

Brewster was all sizzle, no steak. Kill / Claeys was all steak, no sizzle. I have a real, heartfelt belief that Fleck is both.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 8709
RE: Gopher Football - 4/19/2017 10:50:32 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Brewster was all sizzle, no steak. Kill / Claeys was all steak, no sizzle. I have a real, heartfelt belief that Fleck is both.

That be one of the worst steaks ever. Gross!

Escape while you can!
Post #: 8710
RE: Gopher Football - 4/23/2017 12:36:07 PM   
Bill Jandro

http://247sports.com/Article/Erik-Gibson-commits-to-Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-52431204

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 8711
RE: Gopher Football - 4/26/2017 6:16:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

http://247sports.com/Article/Erik-Gibson-commits-to-Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-52431204

I checked this out on GopherHole and it seems that Erik Gibson is a very mediocre signing if you believe the recruiting services.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 8712
RE: Gopher Football - 4/26/2017 6:32:34 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Starting with a strong foundation

The answer is that the if it was signed today, the 2018 recruiting class currently has the highest “floor” of any Minnesota class in the recruiting rankings era. What do I mean by this class having the highest “floor” when compared to previous top MN classes? I’m referring to the lowest ranked recruit by the 247 composite ranking. As of now the lowest rated recruit on the Minnesota board is Erik Gibson, who has a composite rating of .8216.

This shouldn’t be taken as a criticism of Gibson. The coach’s are extremely high on him and given their track record with receivers I think Minnesota fans should be as well. The other reason not to sleep on Gibson is that he and the other 3 star commits in the lower end of the 2018 class would have been median to top half of the class recruits in the last 6 Gophers classes.

Another way to represent this is to compare the current class to Minnesota’s 5 year recruiting average (i.e. the rating of the “average” hypothetical recruit from the last 5 classes) Minnesota’s current 5 year average is .8304. Every commit except for Erik Gibson rate higher than the “average” recruit brought in over the last 5 classes. That’s a big deal and great news for the Gophers.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/4/24/15356232/minnesota-football-recruiting-2018-pj-fleck-gophers
Post #: 8713
RE: Gopher Football - 4/26/2017 8:36:52 PM   
TJSweens

I've also read that as many as 4 of our current recruits may be upgraded to 4 stars.

Post #: 8714
RE: Gopher Football - 4/26/2017 8:39:45 PM   
SoMnFan

Stop it.
You're getting me excited.
And you know how stupid that makes me talk.
Post #: 8715
RE: Gopher Football - 4/26/2017 8:43:41 PM   
TJSweens

Can't say I've noticed a difference.

Post #: 8716
RE: Gopher Football - 4/26/2017 9:14:02 PM   
SoMnFan

ouuuuuch bastard !
Post #: 8717
RE: Gopher Football - 4/27/2017 4:37:48 PM   
SoMnFan

First-round draft prospect Corey Davis reflects on P.J. Fleck's influence

By Joe Christensen

April 27, 2017 — 2:29pm

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is in Philadelphia for tonight’s NFL Draft, where he’ll be ready to celebrate with former Western Michigan receiver Corey Davis, an expected first-round pick. I interviewed Davis before the draft. Here's an excerpt:

Q: What impact did P.J. have on your career?

“Coach Fleck was the only coach who believed in me, seeing as how I only had one [Division-I scholarship] offer coming out of high school. So he means a lot to me. He taught me a lot about this game, but more importantly, taught me a lot about being a man and how to handle life.”

Q. How about Matt Simon [Gophers WR coach who coached Davis at Western Michigan]?

“He’s a great person and a great coach as well. I know he comes from a very strong foundation. He talks about his father a lot and how he admired him, and I can see a lot of that in Coach Simon, just how he aspires to be like his father.”

Q. Chris Bell [a Gophers incoming recruit this summer] is a receiver who has drawn some comparisons to you, when you were recruited. What’s your take?

“I know a little bit about his game. I know he’s got great talent, and he’s got a chip on his shoulder, so I’m excited to see what he’s going to do.”

Q. Do you almost feel bad for all the receivers who’ll be called “The Next Corey Davis?”

“Not really. Coach Fleck does a good job of finding talent, and I’m sure they’ll find someone that’s better than me.”
Post #: 8718
RE: Gopher Football - 5/1/2017 3:21:55 PM   
SoMnFan

I've watched the first round of the NFL draft several times now .... Still haven't heard Our Boy Leidners name called.
I'm confused.
Post #: 8719
RE: Gopher Football - 5/5/2017 10:48:16 AM   
twinsfan

Mitch Leidner first-round draft projection still irks ESPN's McShay a year later

Around this time a year ago, ESPN’s Todd McShay put out his “way too early” mock draft for 2017 NFL first-round picks. Some of it worked out pretty well: 14 of his 32 selections one year out ended up being picked in the first round of the draft, which finally happened this past weekend.

But there were some significant misses as well — including one that drew some sideways glances from the local folks. McShay had Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner going No. 25 overall to the Cowboys, writing that Leidner is “a late riser to keep an eye on, similar to Blake Bortles and Carson Wentz.”

McShay’s mock draft was mocked countless times by college football fans and probably put undue pressure on Leidner in his senior year with the Gophers. A year later, I had a chance to ask McShay about it — and the notion of trying to project draft picks a year in advance.

As it turns out, he might have liked his way-too-early mock draft even less than you did.

“That’s why it’s named the way-too-early mock draft,” McShay said. “To be completely transparent, it’s the least enjoyable article I write all year but unfortunately it does the most traffic and has the most clicks of anything we do all year. It’s a necessary evil, unfortunately.”

Those clicks depend on getting the mock draft for the following year out quickly while there is still buzz about the previous draft. But that doesn’t allow enough time for things like research and full evaluation by the time the way-too-early mock comes out.

“The hard part is quite honestly I haven’t watched any tape on most of these guys. … I have to rely on what I’ve seen when I’m watching other prospects during the college football season,” McShay said. “Last year specifically with Leidner, he had some flashing moments (the previous season), has the size and has some mobility. And I had conversations with people who had been around him and spoke of the work ethic and how much he loves the game. There were a lot of positives and thoughts he could be an ascending player. Now, three weeks later when I finally sat down and watched tape of Mitch Leidner, I wound up giving him a fifth-round grade.”

Leidner had a decent senior season but hardly a breakout year and went undrafted. He had tryout offers from several teams and went with an offer from the Ravens.

“It’s certainly a long shot, but I still think there’s something there,” McShay said of Leidner. “Hopefully he’s able to get into the right situation and be given the opportunity to truly compete for a reserve job.”

By the time McShay did his final mock draft, by the way, he hit on 28 of the 32 first-round picks. At least McShay doesn’t have to do another way-too-early mock draft and subject himself to more ridicule, right?

Oh, wait. He does.

“It’ll be out on Thursday, again unfortunately,” McShay said. “I’m contractually obligated. I’ll probably shy away from projecting any quarterbacks I’m not certain about. I’ve seen enough of Sam Darnold (USC) and Josh Allen (Wyoming) to know they belong. (Josh) Rosen from UCLA has the physical ability. Those will probably be the only three quarterbacks you see appear on the 2018 mock draft that comes out Thursday.”

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8720
RE: Gopher Football - 5/5/2017 2:49:03 PM   
Jeff Jesser

He has us picking 5th in his 2018 "too early mock". Guy is clearly bad at his job.
Post #: 8721
RE: Gopher Football - 5/5/2017 4:09:11 PM   
TJSweens

Looks like Fleck's early recruiting success is starting to irritate some of the competition. Iowa's OC, Brian Ferentz, is basically implying that Fleck's offers are worthless and some of these kids will find out the hard way that he didn't mean it when Fleck made them the offer. Publicly cast aspersions on someone who is beating you in recruiting. Real classy.

Post #: 8722
RE: Gopher Football - 5/5/2017 7:19:18 PM   
SoMnFan

To quote Herb Brooks .. "maybe worry about yourself, jackwagon ... plenty there to keep you busy"
Post #: 8723
RE: Gopher Football - 5/5/2017 11:59:14 PM   
twinsfan

Sounds like Mike Max agrees with the Iowa guy.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 8724
RE: Gopher Football - 5/6/2017 12:38:06 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Sounds like Mike Max agrees with the Iowa guy.

To quote Herb Brooks .. "maybe worry about yourself, Maxwagon ... plenty there to keep you busy"
Post #: 8725
Page:   <<   < prev  347 348 [349] 350 351   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  347 348 [349] 350 351   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode