Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  390 391 [392] 393 394   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2018 10:18:12 PM   
kgdabom

Gophers need this one BAD.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 9776
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2018 10:22:46 PM   
bstinger

I'll be damned, we're going to pull this out after all. Someone found the plug for the boat and bailed like crazy. Looks like we'll make it to shore with a timely gust of wind. Need to get her to dry-dock though cause this thing needs some work.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 9777
RE: Gopher Football - 10/26/2018 10:41:52 PM   
Steve Lentz

Nice and needed win!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 9778
RE: Gopher Football - 10/27/2018 8:36:16 AM   
Karl Juhnke

The big question now is can they somehow scratch out two more wins and get a rinky dink bowl bid? I say the odds are against it, but it’s not impossible.

Yes it’s sad that once again this is the best we are shooting for, but honestly for this year I accept it as a best case scenario. A bowl, any bowl would be a great boost for the program . In coming years i will expect more, as the ‘youth’ excuse becomes invalid.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 10/27/2018 8:38:33 AM >
Post #: 9779
RE: Gopher Football - 10/27/2018 8:59:58 AM   
TJSweens

I have to say I am more impressed with Morgan than Anexstad. I say he should start next week.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9780
RE: Gopher Football - 10/27/2018 10:10:33 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Morgan did much better than I expected. Early on his passes seemed a bit behind the receivers but still catchable. Then he likely adjusted to the speed of live game action and was on the money most of the time.

I'd have no problem if they stuck with the 'hot hand'.
Post #: 9781
RE: Gopher Football - 10/27/2018 12:30:57 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I have to say I am more impressed with Morgan than Anexstad. I say he should start next week.

No doubt in my mind.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 9782
RE: Gopher Football - 10/27/2018 12:45:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

I'll be damned, we're going to pull this out after all. Someone found the plug for the boat and bailed like crazy. Looks like we'll make it to shore with a timely gust of wind. Need to get her to dry-dock though cause this thing needs some work.

Should have been a blowout...4 TOs and one was at the opponents 3 yard line.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 9783
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 7:23:42 AM   
SoMnFan

This was painful to watch
Tried every way possible to give away homecoming to "Hoosiers".
Our QB battled and got it done. That's about all I got.
Celebrating like we won the B10 was pretty sad.
Post #: 9784
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 8:42:16 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with our QB situation. I didn't see the game, so I can't comment much.

But the prevailing wisdom from all the talking heads in the newspaper and on TV was "Fleck just has to stick with Annexstad for the long-haul. No QB controversies."

Now it seems like that has already gone out the window?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9785
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 9:39:54 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with our QB situation. I didn't see the game, so I can't comment much.

But the prevailing wisdom from all the talking heads in the newspaper and on TV was "Fleck just has to stick with Annexstad for the long-haul. No QB controversies."

Tanner Morgan looks like a more natural fit in the offense. He is more athletic and more of a running threat. Annextstad's strengths are supposed to be that nothing rattles him and he is supposedly the more accurate passer. I haven't seen anything from Morgan to indicate he gets rattled and he he threw the ball every bit as good or better than Ax. I say stick with Morgan.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 9786
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 11:30:16 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

That 3rd down play Anexstad made in the last drive where he scrambled, threw off balance and fired a strike to Johnson on the sideline for a first down, Liedner couldn’t have made in a million years. I don’t know any recent Gopher qb who could.

It’s going to be a learning year for sure for him, but the dude has some skills. And a good attitude and demeanor too. Nothing seems to rattle him.

Typical Zack Annexstad," the coach said. "He comes over to me right on the final drive, which is probably not the best time to come over to me, looks over to me and smiles 'isn't this fun?'"

9/10/18

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 10/29/2018 11:31:16 AM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9787
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 11:30:41 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete M.

quote:

Figures. The one guy we can least afford to lose is of course the guy we lose.

This. Always this.

That said -- give this team a healthy Smith/Brooks, another year of maturation from Annexstad/WRs/OL, and a senior crew of Coughlin/Barber/Martin? This team could be special next year.

9/10/18

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9788
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 11:35:55 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

That 3rd down play Anexstad made in the last drive where he scrambled, threw off balance and fired a strike to Johnson on the sideline for a first down, Liedner couldn’t have made in a million years. I don’t know any recent Gopher qb who could.

It’s going to be a learning year for sure for him, but the dude has some skills. And a good attitude and demeanor too. Nothing seems to rattle him.

Typical Zack Annexstad," the coach said. "He comes over to me right on the final drive, which is probably not the best time to come over to me, looks over to me and smiles 'isn't this fun?'"

9/10/18

You're point being? My point is that Morgan also doesn't seem to get rattled.

Post #: 9789
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 11:52:17 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tanner Morgan looks like a more natural fit in the offense. He is more athletic and more of a running threat. Annextstad's strengths are supposed to be that nothing rattles him and he is supposedly the more accurate passer. I haven't seen anything from Morgan to indicate he gets rattled and he he threw the ball every bit as good or better than Ax. I say stick with Morgan.

Axe hasn't been as good since he hurt his ankle. Maybe if they are both healthy he's better, but I'm fine with a run of Morgan to let him get healthy.

--twinsfan
Post #: 9790
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 11:59:09 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Axe hasn't been as good since he hurt his ankle. Maybe if they are both healthy he's better, but I'm fine with a run of Morgan to let him get healthy.

That's a good way of putting it. Morgan healthy is better than Axe injured. As long as a bowl appearance is possible, no matter how remote, you have to ride the guy who is healthy and gives you the better chance at winning.

Post #: 9791
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 12:23:05 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I came up with the Ax (or Axe) nickname.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9792
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 12:26:15 PM   
TJSweens

Good for you Matt.

So needy.

Post #: 9793
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 12:45:19 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Morgan healthy is better than Axe injured. As long as a bowl appearance is possible, no matter how remote, you have to ride the guy who is healthy and gives you the better chance at winning.

Play Morgan

Find a D Coordinator with a clue. They cannot be THIS awful as youngsters on D

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9794
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 12:52:49 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Morgan healthy is better than Axe injured. As long as a bowl appearance is possible, no matter how remote, you have to ride the guy who is healthy and gives you the better chance at winning.

Play Morgan

Ya know, was thinking that same thing Friday night while watching thru my fingers
Aggressive young kids will tackle and get to the ball if you let them, we seem to be going further away from that
This was Indiana fer chrissakes, we were backing off like they were Alabama
Post #: 9795
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 2:45:38 PM   
drew

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play Morgan

Ya know, was thinking that same thing Friday night while watching thru my fingers
Aggressive young kids will tackle and get to the ball if you let them, we seem to be going further away from that

To make it worse, we actually aren't that young on D. We have much more experience on that side of the ball.

The offense is the side that definitely shows more promise.
Post #: 9796
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 2:57:52 PM   
TJSweens

I think the kids were actually better. At one point the entire defensive backfield was freshmen. I think Fleck switched it up to keep a couple of them from exceeding 4 games.

Post #: 9797
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 4:23:21 PM   
Mr. Ed

Morgan to start vs Illinois

Escape while you can!
Post #: 9798
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 5:35:54 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Morgan to start vs Illinois

The Axe has been axed.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 9799
RE: Gopher Football - 10/29/2018 7:20:50 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play Morgan

To be fair, the colors are similar.

--twinsfan
Post #: 9800
Page:   <<   < prev  390 391 [392] 393 394   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  390 391 [392] 393 394   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode