Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  409 410 [411] 412 413   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2019 10:21:26 AM   
stfrank

The reality is we belong in the FCS rather then the B10. The Gophers program has been near the bottom of the B10 for years and quite honestly has a hard time competing with top FCS programs as we witnessed the other night.
Post #: 10251
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2019 10:39:43 AM   
TJSweens

No, we don't belong in the FCS. This is a Big Ten caliber program that played a shitty season opener. It won't hurt their bowl prospects and I still expect them to be more successful than last year.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10252
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2019 2:22:31 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Bright spot of the game, besides just escaping with a win, had to be Bateman. SDSU game planned to take Tyler Johnson out and the Gophers made them pay with Bateman, 5 catches 132 and a spectacular TD.

He’s looking like a real thoroughbred this year. When is the last time the Gophers had two legit NFL WR prospects playing together? Ever?
Post #: 10253
RE: Gopher Football - 8/31/2019 2:29:44 PM   
TJSweens

That one handed TD grab was a thing of beauty.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10254
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2019 10:43:26 AM   
SoMnFan

"don't sleep on the Jackrabbits" he said …..
Kids can ball.
They're all over the Dakotas.
Kids can ball.
You better be ready. The Gophers weren't.
Hopefully people are starting to understand what Gopher hockey has gone thru for decades
The supposedly "lesser schools" get kids who feel they coulda played at the U and they will make sure when they get the chance, to show it.
It shouldn't be a put down of the U, it should be a big atta-boy to the smaller schools, imo.
Some great FB and Hockey and BB played at these schools out in the sticks.
Respect 'em more, people. Or suffer the consequences.
Post #: 10255
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2019 11:06:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

Kids can ball.
Kids can ball.
Hopefully people are starting to understand what Gopher hockey has gone thru for decades
The supposedly "lesser schools" get kids who feel they coulda played at the U and they will make sure when they get the chance, to show it.
It shouldn't be a put down of the U, it should be a big atta-boy to the smaller schools, imo.

It's both IMO. The Bunnies are to be commended for not being intimidated in the least and playing up to the game. The Gophers deserve criticism for failing to respect them and be in the proper mind set. As combative and prepared as the Rabbits were, the Gophers should have won this game with no drama at all.

Post #: 10256
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2019 11:14:49 AM   
TJSweens

Maybe they committed the sin of looking ahead to Fresno State. This will be a big challenge. This Fresno State team is not as good as the one they played last year, but they will be playing at home this time. This time the O-line needs to impose its will on the opponent. That was a big fail in the last game.

Post #: 10257
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 10:48:09 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

No, we don't belong in the FCS. This is a Big Ten caliber program that played a shitty season opener. It won't hurt their bowl prospects and I still expect them to be more successful than last year.

Was Fleck making the calls when he let Trey Lance go to NDSU instead of Minny?
Post #: 10258
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 10:57:40 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Was Fleck making the calls when he let Trey Lance go to NDSU instead of Minny?

There were no division 1 programs interested in Lance. He had a great start to his career as a starter, but I'm not to chastise Fleck for missing on him when nobody else recruited him.

Post #: 10259
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 11:41:02 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Kids can ball.
Kids can ball.

It's both IMO. The Bunnies are to be commended for not being intimidated in the least and playing up to the game. The Gophers deserve criticism for failing to respect them and be in the proper mind set. As combative and prepared as the Rabbits were, the Gophers should have won this game with no drama at all.

Sweeney, I'm gonna start calling you Sid Jr. The U sports programs are not all that. Even Bemidji State has a better hockey team than the Gophers do on about an every-other-year basis these days. Mankato, Duluth and St Cloud have all been astronomically better than Minnesota for going on about a decade and a half now.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10260
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 12:09:54 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

Kids can ball.
Kids can ball.

Sweeney, I'm gonna start calling you Sid Jr. The U sports programs are not all that. Even Bemidji State has a better hockey team than the Gophers do on about an every-other-year basis these days. Mankato, Duluth and St Cloud have all been astronomically better than Minnesota for going on about a decade and a half now.

I didn't say U sports programs were all that. I said the Gophers should have been able to soundly defeat a Football Championship Subdivision team. Trying to compare D1 football to NCAA hockey is ridiculous even by your standards.

Post #: 10261
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 12:11:41 PM   
twinsfan

NDSU football would beat the Gophers 8 of every 10 games. They are FCS.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10262
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 12:15:15 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Until they actually play each other, your just pulling that out of your ass. Much like LEN III.

Post #: 10263
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 12:38:12 PM   
twinsfan

I win.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10264
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2019 12:52:39 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

I win.

What did you win? Most obtuse poster in the Gopher thread?

Post #: 10265
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2019 8:00:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Until they actually play each other, your just pulling that out of your ass. Much like LEN III.

I would love to see the Bison in the Big Ten and see the Gophers in game 8 of the year instead of the first game.

SDSU would be the same....those teams are all healthy on their 1st units aren't bad but wait until they have to go into their 2nd or 3rd RB and LBs after playing in the Big Ten 8-10 games a year.

The Gophers don't recruit Vance they try to get 3 QBs each year as good or better than Vance.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10266
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2019 9:14:24 AM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

I would love to see the Bison in the Big Ten and see the Gophers in game 8 of the year instead of the first game.

SDSU would be the same....those teams are all healthy on their 1st units aren't bad but wait until they have to go into their 2nd or 3rd RB and LBs after playing in the Big Ten 8-10 games a year.

The Gophers don't recruit Vance they try to get 3 QBs each year as good or better than Vance.

NDSU does not have the academic infrastructure in place to rise to Big 10 levels.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10267
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 9:58:37 PM   
bstinger

Nice drive by the Goph's for the TD.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 10268
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 11:05:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

This team is incredibly stupid and it's amazing we have a lead. It won't last. You have no idea how much I want to be wrong but the playcalling, on both sides, is amazing in a bad way.
Post #: 10269
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 11:31:29 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

This team is incredibly stupid and it's amazing we have a lead. It won't last. You have no idea how much I want to be wrong but the playcalling, on both sides, is amazing in a bad way.

So close to stopping this drive multiple times, but now we're in trouble. A road win a Fresno state would be really nice.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10270
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 11:33:22 PM   
kgdabom

4th down. They kicking?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10271
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 11:46:42 PM   
kgdabom

Am I the only hanging in with this one. Fresno State gets a FG to come within 14-13 and got a Fumble Recovery. Now at Gophers 38. Make that Gophers 20. We are behind now assuming they at least get a FG.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10272
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 11:49:44 PM   
kgdabom

TD. I'm guessing they go for 2. Penalty. Could it be called back? Nope. Targeting and Possible ejection coming up. Targeting overruled on Review.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10273
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 11:51:02 PM   
kgdabom

It was an easy tackle to prevent the two, but we don't make it. Down 21-14 now. Huge.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10274
RE: Gopher Football - 9/7/2019 11:55:29 PM   
kgdabom

This game going downhill fast. Started at our 22 and false start moves us back to 17.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10275
Page:   <<   < prev  409 410 [411] 412 413   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  409 410 [411] 412 413   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode