Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  425 426 [427] 428 429   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 2:04:40 PM   
TJSweens

And from fish wrap east ...

Gophers, football coach P.J. Fleck agree to seven-year contract

By ANDY GREDER | agreder@pioneerpress.com | Pioneer Press
PUBLISHED: November 5, 2019 at 1:41 pm | UPDATED: November 5, 2019 at 2:01 pm

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck has agreed to a seven-year contract extension to remain at Minnesota, a source confirmed to Pioneer Press.

News of Fleck and the university’s athletics department nearing a contact extension and a raise into the top half of of Big Ten coaches (about $5 million annually) was reported by the Pioneer Press on Monday night.

The contract extension is pending approval by the Board of Regents and will keep Fleck at Minnesota through the 2026 season, the U said in a news release.

Yahoo reported that the agreement includes more money for assistant coaches salaries.

“It is a tremendous honor to lead this team and represent the University of Minnesota and this great state,” Fleck said in a statement released by the Gophers on Tuesday. “Our family absolutely loves Minnesota, and we are excited to continue to call this state home. We are building a championship culture — one that our fans can be proud of — through the academic, athletic, social and spiritual development of our student athletes. Heather and I are so thankful to our staff, Mark Coyle, President Gabel and the Board of Regents for seeing the vision we have for our football program.”

Fleck, on his radio show Tuesday, confirmed media reports Monday night that he was nearing a contract extension at Minnesota.

“Hopefully that turns out to be real very soon,” Fleck said. “We’ll have, hopefully, some news soon.”

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10651
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 2:20:43 PM   
SoMnFan

Good for him.
Hopefully, good for us.
So far, so good.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10652
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 2:24:46 PM   
Karl Juhnke

This is great news. Fleck and his staff seem to be the complete package of good recruiter and good coach. You look at the way this season has progressed and it suggests that these players are being coached up as we go.

This is a program headed in the right direction. An AD who seems to be a good leader, finally world class facilities, coach who can get good players, relate to them, motivate them, use modern innovative approaches off the field to give student athletes every advantage, and give solid coaching on the field.

I know I’m painting a rosy picture. Yes they may very well get stomped by Penn State, they may very well lose a game or two after that. Won’t change my big picture opinion. The program is in good shape. The coach is young and needs to be locked up.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 11/5/2019 2:28:23 PM >
Post #: 10653
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 2:30:06 PM   
Phil Riewer

Big Key---Giving the assistants more money too...hard to stay as a program when your assistants are poached by bigger programs.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10654
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 2:48:05 PM   
David Levine

Athletic director Mark Coyle has since confirmed that Fleck’s base annual salary will be $4.6 million, and the buyout is $10 million if he leaves in the first year of the new contract. If terminated, Minnesota would owe Fleck 65 percent of his remaining contract.

The new contract keeps Fleck in Minneapolis through 2026.
Post #: 10655
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 2:52:29 PM   
SoMnFan

This will now take a transition for PJ Fleck
No little train that could … makes over $4mil a year.
You're no longer the underpaid energizer bunny.
It's going to change you. Don't let it ruin you.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 10656
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:08:57 PM   
David Levine

Key new clause in P.J. Fleck's contract, says the U will make $1.05 million available to up salaries of his assistant coaches in 2020 and another $200K available for their increases in 2021. So Kirk Ciarrocca and the others are getting raises, too.
Post #: 10657
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:10:45 PM   
bstinger

ROW THE BOAT!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 10658
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:13:29 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Yep being able to retain quality staff is key.

And the flip side, I first got sold on Fleck when he canned his DC and saw an immediate turnaround. If something’s wrong he won’t hesitate to pull the trigger to fix it, even mid season.
Post #: 10659
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:49:34 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

And the flip side, I first got sold on Fleck when he canned his DC and saw an immediate turnaround. If something’s wrong he won’t hesitate to pull the trigger to fix it, even mid season.

That's loyalty for you.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10660
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:51:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

That's loyalty for you.

That is what happens when your defense gives up over 40 points to Illinois after two other bad performances.

Post #: 10661
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:52:49 PM   
kgdabom

If I'm reading these reports accurately he was already signed through 2023 so this is a 3 year extension right? However he is getting a raise over all 7 remaining years. Signing right before the Penn State Game. I suppose if he had waited until after that game and the Gophers won he would probably be signing for 2 million a year more, but if we get smoked we would have been waiting for some more results.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10662
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:54:03 PM   
TJSweens

It's essentially tearing up his old contract and giving him a new 7 year deal.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10663
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:54:49 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

That's loyalty for you.

That is what happens when your defense gives up over 40 points to Illinois after two other bad performances.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in sports and college sports particularly. I'm sure the firing was a good move and justified, however you know all these coaches preach loyalty.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10664
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:56:51 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Yep, but Minnesota only gains 3 more years of his services. Of course he could have broke the contract that he was under and he can still break this contract. So in the end it doesn't really mean much.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10665
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:57:09 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's loyalty for you.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy in sports and college sports particularly. I'm sure the firing was a good move and justified, however you know all these coaches preach loyalty.

The coach still was paid....he ended up coaching out on the east coast. You keep him as Def Cord they all lose their jobs....would you have kept him as coach?

Post #: 10666
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 3:59:11 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

If I'm reading these reports accurately he was already signed through 2023 so this is a 3 year extension right? However he is getting a raise over all 7 remaining years. Signing right before the Penn State Game. I suppose if he had waited until after that game and the Gophers won he would probably be signing for 2 million a year more, but if we get smoked we would have been waiting for some more results.

USC and Florida State were already sniffing at him.....he has been negotiating this contract for a while. So all parties wanted it done.

Post #: 10667
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 4:01:44 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's loyalty for you.

The coach still was paid....he ended up coaching out on the east coast. You keep him as Def Cord they all lose their jobs....would you have kept him as coach?

Read what I said. The firing was a good move and justified. However, if PJ was preaching rah rah rah, and row the boat to me those words would go in one ear and right out the other.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 11/5/2019 4:02:51 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10668
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 4:04:57 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Yep, but Minnesota only gains 3 more years of his services. Of course he could have broke the contract that he was under and he can still break this contract. So in the end it doesn't really mean much.

It will cost him $10 million to break his contract to start out with and that number declines with each year he coaches. And it actually means a hell of a lot since Florida State had already contacted Fleck's agent to gauge his interest in coaching for them. Bigger money and bigger buy out likely means we wont be dealing with this scenario for a couple of years.

Post #: 10669
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 4:05:27 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

USC and Florida State were already sniffing at him.....he has been negotiating this contract for a while. So all parties wanted it done.

What if PJ wins out the rest of the season? Will this contract be worth the paper it's printed on? If he wants out or another school wants to buy him out does it cost PJ or that school $10 Million? I don't fully get that part of it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10670
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 4:08:56 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

It will cost him $10 million to break his contract to start out with and that number declines with each year he coaches. And it actually means a hell of a lot since Florida State had already contacted Fleck's agent to gauge his interest in coaching for them. Bigger money and bigger buy out likely means we wont be dealing with this scenario for a couple of years.

So if I understand you correctly we likely have a 2 year contract in reality? PJ is being promised $35 million or so for the 7 years and if he wants out he is promising us $10 million back year one and declining buy out each year after. I think I understand. If PJ somehow wins out this year there will be a school willing to pay that $10 million. I'm guessing that Florida State may have waited until after the Penn State game to make the offer and wouldn't have offered if we got beat badly. I'm guessing that Fleck was one coach on their radar.

Why isn't contacting agents for coaches under NCAA contract with a school considered tampering?

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 11/5/2019 4:17:32 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10671
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 5:16:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

The Penn State game doesn't matter...

5-0 in the big ten is still 5-0. He has recruited kids from Georgia, Florida, Texas....basically all over including top rated tackles at IMG Academy (Falala) and another Dunlop. FSU and USC were very interested because he can recruit and coach.......MN just polished Maryland, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Illinois....the first two being the biggest.

If you don't realize how far those powerhouse colleges have fallen and can't find someone KG....we had to keep him happy as there were others lining up. If you can't understand and just want MN to lose their coach then they do what you suggested and wait.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 11/5/2019 5:17:57 PM >

Post #: 10672
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 5:28:13 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

The 10ml buy out is peanuts to these big universities. We could still lose him after this season.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 10673
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 5:50:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

The Penn State game doesn't matter...

5-0 in the big ten is still 5-0. He has recruited kids from Georgia, Florida, Texas....basically all over including top rated tackles at IMG Academy (Falala) and another Dunlop. FSU and USC were very interested because he can recruit and coach.......MN just polished Maryland, Nebraska, Rutgers, and Illinois....the first two being the biggest.

If you don't realize how far those powerhouse colleges have fallen and can't find someone KG....we had to keep him happy as there were others lining up. If you can't understand and just want MN to lose their coach then they do what you suggested and wait.

Whatever gave you the idea I was against keeping Fleck or getting him a new contract. I'm just pointing out the reality of it all. It's all about guaranteed money and buy outs. If we choose to fire him if things go wrong we are out if I understand it right about $35 million. If some football power school wants to buy him out it will cost the contract plus the buyout of $10 million. $10 million is not going to stop a buy out if a school really wants him. Just reality. I hope Fleck who is very young turns us into a football powerhouse and retires from us in about 35 years.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10674
RE: Gopher Football - 11/5/2019 5:50:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

The 10ml buy out is peanuts to these big universities. We could still lose him after this season.

Exactly.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 10675
Page:   <<   < prev  425 426 [427] 428 429   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  425 426 [427] 428 429   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode