Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  442 443 [444] 445 446   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 3:59:24 PM   
Phil Riewer

From Gopher Hole:

Of all the P5 teams with 0 or 1 loss there have been:
36 victories against teams above .500
13 victories against other ranked teams

Here is how those victories rank:
LSU over #4 Alabama
Minnesota over #9 Penn State
LSU over #11 Florida
Georgia over #11 Florida
Penn State over #14 Michigan
Ohio State over #15 Wisconsin
Georgia over #16 Notre Dame
Ohio State over #17 Cincinnati
LSU over #22 Texas
OU over #22 Texas
Penn State over #23 Iowa
Ohio State over #24 Indiana
Baylor over #25 Okie State

Number of victories over teams above .500:
LSU - 6
Ohio State - 5
Oregon - 4
Utah - 4
Minnesota - 3
Baylor - 3
Penn State - 3
Georgia - 3
Oklahoma - 2
Alabama - 2
Clemson - 1

Our resume is just as good as any team on this list except for LSU and Ohio State.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 11076
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 5:48:41 PM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens
He can also enter the NFL draft this year. He is 21, so I wouldn't be surprised if he went.

After all the injuries---he should.

And the year he's having?

If he doesn't it will be a shock.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11077
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 5:52:13 PM   
Mr. Ed

Is something to even be in this conversation.

JUST WIN BABY

https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/11/college-football-playoff-alabama-georgia-oregon

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11078
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 7:01:17 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

He can also enter the NFL draft this year. He is 21, so I wouldn't be surprised if he went.

After all the injuries---he should.

And the year he's having?

If he doesn't it will be a shock.

First round draft pick I’d think, no? He’d have to be the just about the top safety on the board.
Post #: 11079
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 7:09:21 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

OK, we're starting to stack up a lot of carts in front of the horse now, but on a hypothetical level, the Gophers playing in a CFP bowl game is better than being in the Rose Bowl this year.

1. It means the Gophers won the Big Ten title. They have the longest current streak of not winning the Big Ten and it's not even close.

2. It means the Gophers went from being unranked to one if the top 4 teams in the nation.

3. The first 2 points make the 3rd point of it being a bigger tool in recruiting.

You been drinking?

We are talking what we prefer. Not saying it is likely at all. Isn't it better going into the CFP undefeated with a win over oSU than with a loss or two going into the Rose Bowl?

I'm talking about a realistic goal.

Whatever. You said you would prefer going to the Rose Bowl over going to the CFP. The question was never what was most likely to happen. It was about preference. You can prefer to go to the lesser bowl game. I prefer playing for the national title.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11080
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 7:11:22 PM   
Karl Juhnke

Oops wrong thread
Post #: 11081
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 7:14:33 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

I had to go back and check if we won the natty championship while I was sleeping
We’re good
We’re rolling
Stop telling a guy like me how to be a fan of Gopher football, please
I’ve seen it all. Up close
No ones loving this more than me
No ones bought in more than me
But to think we’re suddenly Alabama looks really weird on some of you.
Relax and enjoy this UNPRECEDENTED success.
There are still young men in this team capable of disappointing us tomorrow
Off the box.
Carry on.

Like I said, a lot of carts are getting stacked in front of the horse today.

We just came off a win against an undefeated top 5 team. We are 9-0 ranked 7 in the nation. What are we supposed to be setting our sights on? Holding on for the Big 10 west title and then getting steamrolled by oSU? No an undefeated 7th ranked team should be setting their sights on an NCAA title. You can't win it if you don't believe you can win it. Of course only 1 team will end up the champ. It's unlikely.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11082
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 8:36:08 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

OK, we're starting to stack up a lot of carts in front of the horse now, but on a hypothetical level, the Gophers playing in a CFP bowl game is better than being in the Rose Bowl this year.

1. It means the Gophers won the Big Ten title. They have the longest current streak of not winning the Big Ten and it's not even close.

2. It means the Gophers went from being unranked to one if the top 4 teams in the nation.

3. The first 2 points make the 3rd point of it being a bigger tool in recruiting.

You been drinking?

We are talking what we prefer. Not saying it is likely at all. Isn't it better going into the CFP undefeated with a win over oSU than with a loss or two going into the Rose Bowl?

Whatever. You said you would prefer going to the Rose Bowl over going to the CFP. The question was never what was most likely to happen. It was about preference. You can prefer to go to the lesser bowl game. I prefer playing for the national title.

You're dreaming.

It's fairly realistic to think we go undefeated into the B10 title game. It will take a miracle to win that against OSU. If by chance we get PSU, we have a very good chance at beating them. If we do go to CFP we'll likely get LSU or Clemson and get killed. I'd rather not have this season end getting killed. Give me a solid shot at a Rose Bowl win any day of the year and twice on Jan 1, 2020.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 11083
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 10:00:19 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You been drinking?

You're dreaming.

It's fairly realistic to think we go undefeated into the B10 title game. It will take a miracle to win that against OSU. If by chance we get PSU, we have a very good chance at beating them. If we do go to CFP we'll likely get LSU or Clemson and get killed. I'd rather not have this season end getting killed. Give me a solid shot at a Rose Bowl win any day of the year and twice on Jan 1, 2020.

Once again realistic, likely, dreaming whatever have nothing to do with it. We were discussing preference. I prefer that we go undefeated. I prefer that we beat oSU in the big ten title game. I prefer that we go to the CFP and I prefer we win the national title.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11084
RE: Gopher Football - 11/11/2019 10:13:54 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You been drinking?

You're dreaming.

Once again realistic, likely, dreaming whatever have nothing to do with it. We were discussing preference. I prefer that we go undefeated. I prefer that we beat oSU in the big ten title game. I prefer that we go to the CFP and I prefer we win the national title.

I prefer to defalcate gold, but it isn't going to happen.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 11085
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 12:24:22 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You been drinking?

You're dreaming.

I prefer to defalcate gold, but it isn't going to happen.

You said you preferred the rose bowl to the CFP. We weren't talking about defecating gold. I'm letting it go at that.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11086
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 7:18:53 AM   
Phil Riewer

I don't care what happens the next three weeks, it has been a great year. If someone beats us they will have to play their best game as we have improved every game....I haven't been able to say that about a Gopher Football team in a long time.

Post #: 11087
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 7:35:29 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

I don't care what happens the next three weeks, it has been a great year. If someone beats us they will have to play their best game as we have improved every game....I haven't been able to say that about a Gopher Football team in a long time.

Well put, simply put.
We've made incredible strides.
Very cool to see the increased support, for a program that has been damn-near dead at times.
Really appreciate the hard work this coaching staff has put into turning this thing around.
I think we all knew it could be special, if it ever happened.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11088
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 7:37:40 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

Also I count only 11 Seniors on the roster: Johnson, Smith, Brooks, Martin, Barber, Coughlin.....

Albeit pretty damn good (important) ones ….

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11089
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 7:40:10 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Also I count only 11 Seniors on the roster: Johnson, Smith, Brooks, Martin, Barber, Coughlin.....

Albeit pretty damn good (important) ones ….

True...I am most worried about the LB group but I think we have replacements. Now if Winfield declares---he would be the toughest one next to Martin.

Post #: 11090
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 7:42:11 AM   
Phil Riewer

I recall all those little battles between Iowa's coaching staff and ours on a few players.....going to be another interesting game Saturday.

Post #: 11091
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 8:12:14 AM   
SoMnFan

Those LBers have been the pivot point for me on this roster
The first position group, imo, that have taken no shit from anyone, ever.
Even a couple years ago, in defeats, these guys were physically manhandling people.
You can feel FB teams change, when they get those types. The kids who WANT to inflict punishment, especially when games aren't going well.
Its easy to be a bad ass when you win every game. When you go thru rough times like those kids did, and still want to dish out punishment, then you've got a core to build around.
The old … mobile, agile, hostile ….. adage pertains to these guys.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11092
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 8:26:12 AM   
Phil Riewer

I like how physical our oline and defense are....our defense use to get pushed around all game against the good teams. Facing these big guys in practice every day probably helps.

One of the biggest keys to improving the Oline size....our defense is used to playing against that size every day.

Post #: 11093
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 8:28:48 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

I recall all those little battles between Iowa's coaching staff and ours on a few players.....going to be another interesting game Saturday.

Mainly I remember son of Kirk being a pissy little bitch every time Fleck snatched a recruit they were after. Iowa and Wisconsin have gotten used to having the pick of all overlapping recruiting areas with the Gophers. All of the sudden, Fleck is taking that away from them and they don't like it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11094
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 8:31:21 AM   
TJSweens

Speaking of coaches who bad mouthed Fleck in the past, I noticed Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys aren't running their mouths anymore. I especially got a good out of Claeys assertion that the Gophers would have been better under him than they were in Fleck's first year because he would have started Trent Green at QB.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11095
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 9:00:40 AM   
Phil Riewer

You mean Seth Green :)

Post #: 11096
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 9:02:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

The one thing Kill and Claeys couldn't compete was recruiting...no way they get Dunlap, Faala, Bateman and many others.

Post #: 11097
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 9:44:59 AM   
SoMnFan

Btw ... re Seth Green

Always had my doubts about Wildcat packages … but that one has worked wonders for us.
Best red-zone offense in CFB
He's an incredible talent, to have in our back pocket when needed.
And even if something happens to mini-Fleck, we should be in good hands at QB.

Love the options he creates for us at the goal line.
We haven't even thrown out of it yet this year.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11098
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 9:57:01 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Btw ... re Seth Green

Always had my doubts about Wildcat packages … but that one has worked wonders for us.
Best red-zone offense in CFB
He's an incredible talent, to have in our back pocket when needed.
And even if something happens to mini-Fleck, we should be in good hands at QB.

Love the options he creates for us at the goal line.
We haven't even thrown out of it yet this year.

That was a huge factor in beating Penn State. We outplayed them in the red zone. We scored a TD every time in the red zone, while the defense held them to a FG and then got an interception.

Post #: 11099
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 9:59:30 AM   
Phil Riewer

What I would like to see once is a handoff to a running back from Green and he sprints right or left and the rb throw to him (out of the wildcat).

Post #: 11100
Page:   <<   < prev  442 443 [444] 445 446   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  442 443 [444] 445 446   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode