Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  443 444 [445] 446 447   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 10:16:31 AM   
Mr. Ed

The pass play will come when needed
When not expecting it

Green and the line just pound until they score

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11101
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 10:17:20 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

The pass play will come when needed
When not expecting it

Green and the line just pound until they score

exactly what I was getting at
Nice to have in the back pocket
For when it might win/lose us a big un

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11102
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 10:20:42 AM   
SoMnFan

GREATEST part of the discussion …. we are the best, because WE SCORE TOUCHDOWNS.
Always said the first team in this state that figures that out, will be our first football champion.
Our kicker this year has been moot.
THAT'S awesome.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11103
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 10:26:14 AM   
kgdabom

Waiting on the CFP rankings. Can't find the new ones yet.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11104
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 10:30:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

Waiting on the CFP rankings. Can't find the new ones yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+football+rankings&rlz=1C1GCEU_enUS837US837&oq=college+football+rankings&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4j69i60.7513j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=lg;/g/11h3bhv2l4;6;/m/012hfxch;rn;fp;1;;

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-prediction-lsu-jumps-ohio-state-clemson-and-georgia-move-in/

It isn't out quite yet I guess.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 11105
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 1:01:38 PM   
TJSweens

This should help the Gophers focus on Iowa this week. The Hawkeyes are 3 point favorites in the game.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11106
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 1:02:28 PM   
SoMnFan

Minnesota just had itself a hell of a week. First, it signed head coach P.J. Fleck to a contract extension just as the coaching carousel tried to swirl his name into rumors. Then, the Gophers went out and scored their biggest win in years (decades? ages?).
Granted, if a blue-blood school really wants to come after Fleck, an eight-figure buyout might not be enough to dissuade it. But assuming for now that the vultures will not circle and that he will remain Minnesota's coach moving forward, let's acknowledge just how perfect this marriage is.
At both Western Michigan and Minnesota, Fleck energetically burned the two-deep to the ground and installed his own recruits as quickly as possible, resulting in some early growing pains. His WMU tenure began with 14 losses in 17 games, then finished with 20 wins in 23. At Minnesota, he inherited a team coming off of its first nine-win season in 14 years but started out with an 8-11 record. With a ridiculously young two-deep, however, the Gophers won four of their last six last year, and they've needed only nine games to pull off another nine-win season this fall.
If Fleck were to at some point leave for a blue blood, things could get weird. He wants to build HIS depth chart with HIS culture and HIS weird mantras. He makes a given program Fleck University, and ... well ... blue bloods tend to have both a deep history and a set of boosters who like that history quite a bit. Fleck building his own culture from scratch could be met with resistance.

That's all the better for Minnesota, though. The Gophers program has a rich history, too, but most of its brightest moments happened in the 1930s and early 1940s. (Bernie Bierman: five-time national title winner and maybe the most underrated coach in college football history.) This team hasn't finished higher than 18th in the AP poll in 57 years. It was ripe for a top-to-bottom cultural overhaul, and Fleck has provided that.
Fleck is also proving he can build a winning brand of football -- that he can Row the Boat in the land of 10,000 lakes -- without dominating his conference in recruiting the way he did at WMU. He's building burly lines, running the ball as much as humanly possible, and winning just enough recruiting battles to assure high-level depth in the receiving corps and secondary. He's containing the game as mentor Jim Tressel did, and he has built a team capable of sniffing out mistakes and taking full advantage of them. Nothing about this is unsustainable.
While a CFP trip isn't all that likely, the Gophers now have, per SP+, a 75% chance of finishing with 11 or more wins (not including bowls). And that's with a depth chart that is awfully sophomore-heavy. This run might be just beginning.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11107
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 1:04:01 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

This should help the Gophers focus on Iowa this week. The Hawkeyes are 3 point favorites in the game.

But … but …. but ……..

Exactly what we have been saying.
Nothing will come easy.
Glad to see that. Use it.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11108
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 1:10:06 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

But … but …. but ……..

Exactly what we have been saying.
Nothing will come easy.
Glad to see that. Use it.

Yep, and let's face it ... Iowa is a good football team. I hate Frerentz and son, but they are ranked #18 and their only losses have been against ranked teams. Wisconsin just beat them, so I expect the Gophers should beat them. They won't go down without a fight, however.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 11109
RE: Gopher Football - 11/12/2019 3:28:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It is normal to have a letdown after a game like with Penn State followed by a tough game on the road. If the Gophers prevail, I will have to give a lot of credit to the coaching staff to get them ready.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 11110
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 10:06:53 AM   
SoMnFan

Got a chuckle out of this.
From ESPNS bottom-10

5. We Are ... in the coveted fifth spot (7-1)
Penn State and the College Football Playoff top four are a lot like me when I visit a Christmas tree lot. No matter how much I want to be there, as soon as I get anywhere near it, I develop a violent allergic reaction and have to once again settle for an artificial tree. Or the Citrus Bowl.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11111
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 10:43:02 AM   
SoMnFan

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28021916/is-nebraska-football-too-far-gone-even-scott-frost

An amazing read.
I'm not trying to pile on, just amazed at where they are at.
Compared to where they were.
I despised them for decades.
Mainly because they were just so damn good.
I never in a million years thought I'd see them at this point.
And in reality they aren't suffering as badly as they think they are.
Its just that they are so spoiled.
I guess that's one thing we won't feel here, probably ever.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11112
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 11:06:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28021916/is-nebraska-football-too-far-gone-even-scott-frost

An amazing read.

The best college football team I ever saw was the one led by Turner, Fryar, Rozier and Steinkuhler. IIRC they scored 84 points against us. Regularly beat ranked opponents by at least 30 points and sometimes 40. Somehow they managed to lose to Bernie Kosar and Miami in the Orange Bowl.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11113
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 12:39:20 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

quote:

An amazing read.

The best college football team I ever saw was the one led by Turner, Fryar, Rozier and Steinkuhler. IIRC they scored 84 points against us. Regularly beat ranked opponents by at least 30 points and sometimes 40. Somehow they managed to lose to Bernie Kosar and Miami in the Orange Bowl.

The best college football team I ever saw was the Bernie Kosar-led Miami Hurricanes that beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11114
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 2:02:08 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

quote:

An amazing read.

The best college football team I ever saw was the Bernie Kosar-led Miami Hurricanes that beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl.

Do you really believe that? Really? You have heard of a thing called a fluke right? If they had played that game a hundred more times Nebraska would have won 99.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11115
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 2:03:20 PM   
TJSweens

Post #: 11116
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 2:17:35 PM   
Mr. Ed

Someone took the bait

Escape while you can!
Post #: 11117
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 2:19:03 PM   
TJSweens

Sometimes they jump right in the boat.

Post #: 11118
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 2:25:35 PM   
SoMnFan

https://youtu.be/RknidSamrRM

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11119
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 3:34:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Sometimes they jump right in the boat.

If calling him on it is taking the bait and jumping in the boat I guess I'm guilty.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11120
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 4:24:42 PM   
twinsfan

I truly believe that.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 11121
RE: Gopher Football - 11/13/2019 9:24:06 PM   
Jeff Jesser

This certainly has the feel of the immovable object fighting the irresistible force.
Post #: 11122
RE: Gopher Football - 11/14/2019 8:10:44 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

I truly believe that.

I don't buy it.
By the way The CFP rankings were never posted. Minnesota #8. Just win baby.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 11123
RE: Gopher Football - 11/14/2019 8:20:05 AM   
SoMnFan

I knew it.
As soon as we get good , the sumbitches start coming at us.

NCAA launches investigation into Minnesota’s undefeated record

They ain’t played nobody
By Blake Ruane Nov 6, 2019, 10:08am CST

The National College Athletic Association (NCAA), coordinating with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), announced this morning that they will be opening an investigation into claims that the Minnesota Golden Gophers’ 8-0 record is illegitimate.
The NCAA issued the following statement:
In response to multiple allegations that the University of Minnesota football program’s undefeated record is fraudulent, the NCAA is launching a formal investigation to determine the credibility of these allegations and to assess whether the University acted improperly in simply playing, and defeating, the teams on their schedule.
FBI Special Agent Bill Kirshner is the point person for the joint task force, and to say he is dubious of the Gophers’ “undefeated record” would be an understatement.
“I can tell you right here and right now, there is not an FBS program in the country called South Dakota State,” Kirshner said, candidly. “That’s what set off the first alarm in our heads.”
The second alarm, according to Kirshner, was sounded by Nebraska, the Gophers’ purported opponent in Week 7. Investigators have thus far been unable to produce records of the Cornhuskers’ football program from the last 20 years. “It’s like the they up and vanished from the face of the earth around 1998,” Kirshner said. “It’s damn peculiar.”
Investigators have also begun to privately express doubts about Illinois, the team that Minnesota was believed to have defeated by a score of 40-17 in Week 6. The FBI has pointed to the recent College Football Playoff rankings to support their suspicions.
“You’re telling me that Wisconsin, the team at No. 13 in the rankings, lost to a team that Minnesota supposedly beat 40-17? I don’t need a calculator to know that that math don’t add up,” Kirshner said, chuckling to himself and pocketing his calculator.
Kirshner expects that more damning information will come to light as the NCAA and the FBI apply further scrutiny to the Gophers’ schedule, but at least one Big Ten opponent on their schedule has already been circled as an obvious fabrication.
“You expect me to believe there is a Big Ten program in New Jersey?”

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 11124
RE: Gopher Football - 11/14/2019 8:46:44 AM   
MDK

The story on Scott Frost was excellent...especially the information on his parents and their role in his development as a football player.

Less interesting was reading about his relationship with his former coach. Now, I am sure a player like Frost should have a relationship with his former coach when Frost leads the team to a national title.

But Osborne is the idiot who reinstated Lawrence Phillips and did so on the basis on his "christian" faith.

Then Osborne becomes a conservative republican congressman. And Frost discusses politics with the coach.

Hopefully Frost isn't one of those idiot evangelicals who believe God ordained Trump to be president.

And believe the earth is 10,000 years old.

And believe the dinosaurs died out because of the flood.

If that is who Frost is, then I am loving his struggles at Nebraska.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 11125
Page:   <<   < prev  443 444 [445] 446 447   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  443 444 [445] 446 447   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode