Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  517 518 [519] 520 521   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 8:53:47 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

I can’t find any silver lining in a game where they gave up big plays
And looked worse than a high school team on those plays

I thought Ohio State looked like a very overrated team. That defense is terrible.

If the refs actually had the guts to call pass interference, the Gophers would have piled up a lot more points. They grab arms like no other team. The worst was when the corner grabbed Jackson's right arm with his left hand - Jackson pulled free - grabbed it again with his right hand and Jackson pulled free - finally yanked it down with his left hand again leaving Jackson to attempt a one handed catch while falling backwards. After the play, the dbag gets up taunting Jackson. Thankfully at this point the ref stepped in and gave him a stern talking to.

Been watching Ohio State get calls against the Gophers for 50 years. Same with Michigan.

The one guy knocked out our receiver with the crown of his helmet. No call.

Perhaps the only thing worse was the broadcast from Fox itself. At one point they had the score 41-24 when the score was actually 38-24. I understand you want to pump up Minnesota for the game being close in the third quarter, but how about some good and honest reporting. They kept saying the Gophers look like a really good team. I kept saying to myself, they look like a .500 team (at-best). And I'm a Gopher fan. I don't care who you are playing, if you give up nearly 500 yards in under 22 minutes you aren't very competitive on one side of the ball.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/3/2021 9:02:21 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 12951
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 9:07:18 AM   
Mister Ed

Buckeye d backs were trash talking punks and thugs

Not impressed

All I could think of watching the U defense get shredded was

Sieve, Sieve

If that games in Columbus
Score is worse

What was old is new again
Post #: 12952
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 9:09:57 AM   
Lynn G.

Can college coaches appeal to the league after a game the way NFL coaches can? I don't mean to overturn it or anything. I'm talking about appealing specific plays where calls from the refs were a problem.

Remember when Mike Tice appealed the famous game against Green Bay where the refs had to admit later that they made nine bad calls that hurt the Vikings, eight of which came in the fourth quarter when the Packers *amazingly* came from behind to win?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12953
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 9:12:22 AM   
Brad H

When was the last time Minnesota actually produced a great defensive lineman? Carl Eller?

Ra'Sheed Hageman turned out to be a bust and he's the only guy I can even think of that was supposed to be great in the past 2-3 decades.

Post #: 12954
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 9:17:09 AM   
Mister Ed

Fleck is tied to the run game like Zimmer is

You mentioned DE

What about QB

Morgan is average at best

And then what

Flecks not developed much outside running backs and WR he inherited
Neanderthal offense with a porous defense

Post #: 12955
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 9:17:29 AM   
Brad H

I just did some homework. Take away Hageman, and the last time the Gophers had a defensive lineman taken in the first three rounds was Keith Simons in 1973. Previous to that you have to go to Ray Parson in 1970 and Carl Eller in 1964.

Heck, East Mississippi CC had four former defensive linemen playing in the NFL a year ago (Denico Autry, Jarran Reed, Za'Darius Smith and DJ Jones).

< Message edited by Brad H -- 9/3/2021 9:27:31 AM >

Post #: 12956
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 10:49:47 AM   
Jeff Jesser

The opening and subsequent KO showed me the mentality of the team. Dude fair caught it at about the 10 with no OSU players within 10 yards of him. Timid.

I give Fleck credit for waking them up with the 4th down call but it's 2 different continents in terms of big play ability.
Post #: 12957
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 10:58:41 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

The opening and subsequent KO showed me the mentality of the team. Dude fair caught it at about the 10 with no OSU players within 10 yards of him. Timid.

I give Fleck credit for waking them up with the 4th down call but it's 2 different continents in terms of big play ability.

I didn't help that Olave didn't have a defender within 15 yards of him on his final touchdown. Nothing like leaving their top player completely uncovered. Sound strategy.

Post #: 12958
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 11:23:56 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

I didn't help that Olave didn't have a defender within 15 yards of him on his final touchdown. Nothing like leaving their top player completely uncovered. Sound strategy.

I think that was more blown assignment than strategy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12959
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 11:37:58 AM   
Mister Ed

quote:

Did they return any kicks?

Seems like a lame strategy

Post #: 12960
RE: Gopher Football - 9/3/2021 7:24:45 PM   
Karl Juhnke

They gave a good effort. But giving up all those big plays is concerning. Yes I know it was Ohio State blah blah, but missed tackles, poor coverage, blown assignments etc. would have been a problem vs Bowling Green.
Post #: 12961
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2021 1:34:42 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Nebraska radio broadcasters gushing about Huskers steamrolling Fordham, after losing Big 10 opener to Illinois..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 12962
RE: Gopher Football - 9/4/2021 10:52:34 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

LSU getting spanked bY unranked UCLA..

SEC=Over rated

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 12963
RE: Gopher Football - 9/5/2021 12:10:57 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

Did they return any kicks?

Seems like a lame strategy

Yup. Off the top of my head the next 2. It did seem like they were instructed to do it. It seemed like Fleck realized it and pulled that strategy with the 4th down call.
Post #: 12964
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2021 10:14:49 AM   
Mister Ed

To no surprise, Ibrahim is out for the year. Surgery Tuesday.

Post #: 12965
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2021 10:36:18 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Mo will still have a year of eligibility left next year. I hope he takes it but I wouldn’t blame him a bit if he skips it to not risk another injury.

The gophers have some depth at RB. And with their OL the running game will be okay. But okay is a step down from being probably top 5 in the nation running game.
Post #: 12966
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2021 10:50:19 AM  1 votes
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

LSU getting spanked bY unranked UCLA..

SEC=Over rated

Really??

Alabama and Georgia look heads and shoulders above everyone.
Post #: 12967
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2021 3:04:31 PM   
David Levine

Georgia with their 3 offensive points?
Post #: 12968
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2021 3:30:08 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

How often do you see a Clemson offense totally dominated?
Post #: 12969
RE: Gopher Football - 9/6/2021 10:50:38 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Can college coaches appeal to the league after a game the way NFL coaches can? I don't mean to overturn it or anything. I'm talking about appealing specific plays where calls from the refs were a problem.

I got the answer to my question. Yes, they can, and yes they do:

https://www.startribune.com/calls-officials-didnt-make-have-gophers-waiting-for-big-tens-explanation/600094510/

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 12970
RE: Gopher Football - 9/8/2021 9:11:35 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

I got the answer to my question. Yes, they can, and yes they do:

https://www.startribune.com/calls-officials-didnt-make-have-gophers-waiting-for-big-tens-explanation/600094510/

And the reply from the Big Ten? Oh, whoops! Looks like that was targeting. Our bad...

Too late to do anything about the game, but you would think the Big Ten would still punish the players in accordance with their targeting rules. Nah, they play for THE Ohio State University and they are the only reason anyone takes this conference seriously.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 12971
RE: Gopher Football - 9/8/2021 11:15:13 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

How often do you see a Clemson offense totally dominated?

How often do you see a Georgia offense totally dominated?
Post #: 12972
RE: Gopher Football - 9/8/2021 11:28:10 AM   
twinsfan

The Gophers football program received an empty apology from the Big Ten this week.

Minnesota sent the conference office video of the helmet-to-helmet hit by Ohio State safety Latham Ransom that sent U receiver Mike Brown-Stephens face first to the turf, where he stayed incapacitated while the Buckeyes pounced on his fumble late in the second half of a 45-31 loss at Huntington Bank Stadium.

Ransom was not called for targeting, which the Big Ten acknowledged was a mistake, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said Tuesday.

"Basically here's the explanation: 'I'm sorry,' " Fleck said on his KFAN radio show. "And that's it. That's basically what it is."

"I was told that they did review the targeting and didn't find (during the game) that it was targeting," he added. "But when you turn it in, they say it's targeting. It's a matter of judgement."

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 12973
RE: Gopher Football - 9/9/2021 7:18:48 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

The Gophers football program received an empty apology from the Big Ten this week.

Minnesota sent the conference office video of the helmet-to-helmet hit by Ohio State safety Latham Ransom that sent U receiver Mike Brown-Stephens face first to the turf, where he stayed incapacitated while the Buckeyes pounced on his fumble late in the second half of a 45-31 loss at Huntington Bank Stadium.

Ransom was not called for targeting, which the Big Ten acknowledged was a mistake, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said Tuesday.

"Basically here's the explanation: 'I'm sorry,' " Fleck said on his KFAN radio show. "And that's it. That's basically what it is."

"I was told that they did review the targeting and didn't find (during the game) that it was targeting," he added. "But when you turn it in, they say it's targeting. It's a matter of judgement."

It seems the Big 10’s whole sending in videos thing is just a tool to critique officiating. There doesn’t seem to be any punitive authority to it. They can just say “Yes the refs blew that one. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.”

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 9/9/2021 10:24:29 PM >
Post #: 12974
RE: Gopher Football - 9/11/2021 8:28:53 PM   
kgdabom

So when do they play again? They got this week off?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 12975
Page:   <<   < prev  517 518 [519] 520 521   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  517 518 [519] 520 521   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode