Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Gopher Football

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  524 525 [526] 527 528   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Gopher Football - 12/29/2021 10:05:49 AM   
Karl Juhnke

Continuing to marvel at the depth of RBs this year. Thomas and Irving killed it last night. Both very dynamic runners.
Post #: 13126
RE: Gopher Football - 12/29/2021 10:06:58 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

Continuing to marvel at the depth of RBs this year. Thomas and Irving killed it last night. Both very dynamic runners.

Running backs are a dime a dozen. Easiest position on the field to replace.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 13127
RE: Gopher Football - 12/29/2021 10:22:44 AM  1 votes
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

That's a bit of an overstatement. It's one thing to recruit enough running backs, it's another to recruit quality. Thomas and Irving started the season at 5 and 6 on the depth chart. That's good recruiting.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 13128
RE: Gopher Football - 12/29/2021 10:25:48 AM   
kgdabom

18-6 with kneel downs at the 3 to end the game seems like a very easy win. Not a close game. I didn't watch though. Saw video of the Faalele TD. That was cool.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 12/29/2021 10:32:55 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13129
RE: Gopher Football - 12/29/2021 11:39:47 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

That's a bit of an overstatement. It's one thing to recruit enough running backs, it's another to recruit quality. Thomas and Irving started the season at 5 and 6 on the depth chart. That's good recruiting.

Good backs but also having that line helped them IMO. I agree with your earlier take though. They could be so much more dominant but don't have that killer instinct.
Post #: 13130
RE: Gopher Football - 12/29/2021 1:10:02 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

18-6 with kneel downs at the 3 to end the game seems like a very easy win. Not a close game. I didn't watch though. Saw video of the Faalele TD. That was cool.

Yes, despite the final score, this shouldn’t have been a close game. The game never felt in doubt. The first quarter total yards were 100 something to two 3 and outs. It didn’t seem like West Virginia belonged in the same bowl game as the Gophers. Yet thanks to a fumble and missed FG the score remained 0-0.

Once the Gophers did score and the defense continued be stifling, they decided the only way they’d lose is to lose on turnovers. So they predictably went into conservative ground mode the rest of night. And if they’re not stopping it, why change I guess. They passed like 5 times after the first score.

< Message edited by Karl Juhnke -- 12/29/2021 3:28:42 PM >
Post #: 13131
RE: Gopher Football - 12/29/2021 4:52:14 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Yes, despite the final score, this shouldn’t have been a close game. The game never felt in doubt. The first quarter total yards were 100 something to two 3 and outs. It didn’t seem like West Virginia belonged in the same bowl game as the Gophers. Yet thanks to a fumble and missed FG the score remained 0-0.

Once the Gophers did score and the defense continued be stifling, they decided the only way they’d lose is to lose on turnovers. So they predictably went into conservative ground mode the rest of night. And if they’re not stopping it, why change I guess. They passed like 5 times after the first score.

West Virginia was 6-6. I don't get why we couldn't get a better opponent.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13132
RE: Gopher Football - 12/30/2021 10:26:30 AM  1 votes
Lynn G.

Glad for the win, but it's not like anyone is going to declare that the Gophers are poised to take over the conference. Clearly going in the right direction though.

I liked the decision to kneel away the last two minutes instead of punching another one in for a kill shot. Good sportsmanship. We've been on the receiving end of games in which our opponent kept running up the score unnecessarily, when the outcome of the game was not in doubt. Teaching good sportsmanship is part of a coach's job, and I think Fleck is good at that.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 13133
RE: Gopher Football - 12/30/2021 11:54:19 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lynn G.

Glad for the win, but it's not like anyone is going to declare that the Gophers are poised to take over the conference. Clearly going in the right direction though.

I liked the decision to kneel away the last two minutes instead of punching another one in for a kill shot. Good sportsmanship. We've been on the receiving end of games in which our opponent kept running up the score unnecessarily, when the outcome of the game was not in doubt. Teaching good sportsmanship is part of a coach's job, and I think Fleck is good at that.

As an athlete I always considered it an insult if the opponent quit trying their best against me. I want the challenge of stopping them. Not them doing it to themselves because I or my team isn't worthy.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13134
RE: Gopher Football - 12/30/2021 12:15:16 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gophers style of play got them bypassed for better bowls. So they wound up down in this one vs a lesser opponent.

What was old is new again
Post #: 13135
RE: Gopher Football - 12/30/2021 12:16:02 PM   
Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

As an athlete I always considered it an insult if the opponent quit trying their best against me. I want the challenge of stopping them. Not them doing it to themselves because I or my team isn't worthy.

That's not how it's done around here mister!!

What was old is new again
Post #: 13136
RE: Gopher Football - 12/30/2021 1:36:50 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

That's not how it's done around here mister!!

I've never got why it's considered good sportsmanship to humiliate your opponent by "calling off the dogs".

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13137
RE: Gopher Football - 12/30/2021 5:08:02 PM   
Karl Juhnke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Ed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Gophers style of play got them bypassed for better bowls. So they wound up down in this one vs a lesser opponent.

Other factors too. I think the only reason Purdue got music city bowl instead of gophers is they are closer to Nashville.
Post #: 13138
RE: Gopher Football - 12/30/2021 10:02:21 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

But I got a five star and you didn’t, so I guess we know who was right. 😉😁😜🤣😍

I know someone will come along to five star you so you don’t feel too bad. Happy New Year.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 13139
RE: Gopher Football - 12/31/2021 7:00:11 AM   
TJSweens

I was kind of annoyed by Fleck doing 3 minutesof taking the knee. Then again, it was 2:45 AM and I was just generally annoyed at that point. The first knee came after WV used its last time out to stop the clock again. At that point I would have said ... fine let's put an end to it.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 12/31/2021 7:02:32 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 13140
RE: Gopher Football - 1/1/2022 3:08:51 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Iowa brought some defense today…

Good game if you are watching..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 13141
RE: Gopher Football - 1/1/2022 3:16:55 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

And.. then they didn’t….

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 13142
RE: Gopher Football - 1/1/2022 8:55:32 PM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

But I got a five star and you didn’t, so I guess we know who was right. 😉😁😜🤣😍

I know someone will come along to five star you so you don’t feel too bad. Happy New Year.

OMG you are basing right or wrong on stars? I'm pretty sure you're just kidding. I don't even now how to find stars or give them.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13143
RE: Gopher Football - 1/3/2022 12:03:06 AM  1 votes
Lynn G.

Gosh, did the long run of smileys tip you off?

Post #: 13144
RE: Gopher Football - 1/3/2022 9:28:21 AM  1 votes
kgdabom

quote:

Yes. I see 5 stars on this post also.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13145
RE: Gopher Football - 1/3/2022 1:14:34 PM  1 votes
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

Yes. I see 5 stars on this post also.

Lol are you new?

Bottom right.. rate post.. click that…

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 13146
RE: Gopher Football - 6/30/2022 12:49:45 PM   
twinsfan

USC and UCLA are joining the Big 10.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13147
RE: Gopher Football - 8/30/2022 10:49:49 AM   
twinsfan

I think Jerry Kill will shake hands with PJ.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 13148
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2022 8:19:48 PM   
kgdabom

A very quick TD for our favorite rodents. Go Gophers.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13149
RE: Gopher Football - 9/1/2022 8:22:42 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

USC and UCLA are joining the Big 10.

That is messed up that west coast teams are joining the Big 10.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 13150
Page:   <<   < prev  524 525 [526] 527 528   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: Gopher Football Page: <<   < prev  524 525 [526] 527 528   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode