Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:NFL News Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:NFL News - 9/20/2007 5:11:34 PM   
Trekgeekscott

[quote="Easy E"][quote="Trekgeekscott"]If he is looking toward the future...he is going to have a good shot at getting Brian Brohm. In that case, Leftwich might be a good stopgap until the kid is ready.[/quote] I think Leftwich is a good QB for them period. They have a great running system, and Leftwich should be perfect in the play action passes they can set up from that. Not that they won't draft a QB, but Leftwich's problem has been injuries, not talent. With their strong running game and very good line play, he could have a lot of success there if he stays healthy. I think he'll be able to use Crumpler and Horn, get him another receiver to go with Norwood (who is excellent, IMO) and they could be scary next year.[/quote] "Very good line play" - 13 dacks given up in 2 games. Not all that can be laid on Harrington's shoulders. Note also that they haven't run the ball well either. You could drop the "very" from that and it still wouldn't describe the Falcon's current OLine, which means that..."if he stays healthy" would be a VERY BIG IF for Byron "has a lot of difficulty staying healthy" Leftwich.
Post #: 251
RE:NFL News - 9/20/2007 6:38:48 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Left is also a great leader that guys will gravitate towards. Harrington...LOL. His one piece of promo from the networks was how well he plays the piano. I would take Left everyday day of the year and boot the piano man.
Post #: 252
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 1:43:49 AM   
John Childress

quote:

McNabb didn't want to end it, telling the Philadelphia Daily News that he hoped to lead the charge among his fellow African-American quarterbacks to change the perception. His call to arms was rejected. In Baltimore, Steve McNair started his weekly news conference Thursday with these words: "No Donovan McNabb questions, please." In Nashville, it was worse. Vince Young basically told McNabb to quit crying. "I really feel like myself, black or white quarterbacks, we all go through something because that is the life of a quarterback." Young said. "You have to be able to handle all the pressure and you have to be able to handle the losses and you have to be able to handle the media saying this about you … If you can't handle it, then you have to get off that position and go play something else."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3030401
Post #: 253
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 1:50:24 AM   
Easy E

[quote="John Childress"]
quote:

McNabb didn't want to end it, telling the Philadelphia Daily News that he hoped to lead the charge among his fellow African-American quarterbacks to change the perception. His call to arms was rejected. In Baltimore, Steve McNair started his weekly news conference Thursday with these words: "No Donovan McNabb questions, please." In Nashville, it was worse. Vince Young basically told McNabb to quit crying. "I really feel like myself, black or white quarterbacks, we all go through something because that is the life of a quarterback." Young said. "You have to be able to handle all the pressure and you have to be able to handle the losses and you have to be able to handle the media saying this about you … If you can't handle it, then you have to get off that position and go play something else."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3030401 Honestly, McNabb has a point. I'm sorry, but if you don't know people that still think a black QB shouldn't play in the league, or that they aren't as good as a white one, then either you've got your head in the sand, don't have a wide base of people you interact with, or are around people who don't tell you what they're truly thinking. But, Vince Young has an even better point. I really like him, and think he's got the right attitude and a bright future in the league.
Post #: 254
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 2:24:18 AM   
Trekgeekscott

McNabb may have a point but the only reason anyone even talks about the QBs race is because the media or a player keeps bringing it up. In this day and age, most people could care less about the QBs skin color. As long as that QB is winning the populace doesn't care. And if they are losing, it still doesn't matter what color the QBs skin is. They are still going to be under pressure. As Young said, it's the life of a QB.
Post #: 255
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 2:39:03 AM   
Jake Carlson

[quote="Easy E"][quote="John Childress"]
quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3030401 Honestly, McNabb has a point. I'm sorry, but if you don't know people that still think a black QB shouldn't play in the league, or that they aren't as good as a white one, then either you've got your head in the sand, don't have a wide base of people you interact with, or are around people who don't tell you what they're truly thinking. But, Vince Young has an even better point. I really like him, and think he's got the right attitude and a bright future in the league. I completely agree with you on Vince Young. I haven't really seen any interviews with him but from his statement here I will admit that I love his attitude. However, on your first point I can honestly say that I don't personally know anyone who thinks a black QB shouldn't play in the league or isn't as good just based on his skin color. I feel I have a decent amount of people I interact with regarding sports and I know for a fact that none of these people would couch anything for pc reasons, yet I honestly can't think of one personal contact that considers skin color in his analysis of a player. Maybe it's a regional thing, but no sports fan I personally know factors in race at all. It's either you're good enough or you're not. Among my friends, it doesn't matter if a guy is black, white, purple, bald, mullet-head, Jewish, scientologist, or atheist. If he can't play the game, he deserves criticism!
Post #: 256
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 3:45:01 AM   
Easy E

[quote="Trekgeekscott"]McNabb may have a point but the only reason anyone even talks about the QBs race is because the media or a player keeps bringing it up. In this day and age, most people could care less about the QBs skin color. As long as that QB is winning the populace doesn't care. And if they are losing, it still doesn't matter what color the QBs skin is. They are still going to be under pressure. As Young said, it's the life of a QB.[/quote] This is like saying the KKK doesn't exist, and that people don't commit henious, racially based crimes. Rodney King wasn't eons ago. It would be great if the populace was represented by Jake's friends, but people who think racism isn't alive and well today are fooling themselves. I do agree about the media, they fuel talk about it. The problem is, when you bring these kinds of societal issues up, people always get defensive. I would never do or think that. No one I possibly associate with could do or think that. Ergo, racial biases must have finally been stamped out. If anyone doubts that it still goes on, ask yourself if you believe that there are no racially motivated crimes anymore. Then ask yourself it those people watch football. I don't know if McNabb is really going to be able to crusade about it, but by bringing it up, hopefully that many more people will realize it's a stupid way to think. What will probably happen, though, is that the media will skewer him on it, and make people think no one uses the "n" word anymore.
Post #: 257
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 4:17:19 AM   
Lynn G.

How can we gloss over the fact that even when Daunte Culpepper was having a pro-bowl, nearly MVP season he was receiving hate letters that were very specifically racially charged?
Post #: 258
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 5:56:10 AM   
Jake Carlson

C'mon E, even you have to know that's a stretch. Last I checked I was arguing against your assertion that we all absolutely know someone who devalues a QB based on race or else we're burying our head in the sand. And your retort is to make a general claim that racism is alive and well today? I think we can all agree that racism unfortunately still happens, but I also think that it can be thrown around far too haphazardly which I think McNabb is doing in this case! For McNabb to even mention this in the QB context diminishes the real racism issues in this country. In my personal opinion, McNabb comes across as a cry-baby and is just showing that he can't handle the pressure in a tough sports town like Philly. I don't remember Chris Chandler crying discrimination when everyone was ripping him and screaming for Vick to replace him even though Chandler had just led them to a SB a few years earlier. I don't recall Jeff George, Brad Johnson, Ron Jaworski, Mark Brunell or other white QB's bring up race when the fans/coach wanted them benched for a black QB. And I know it was just coincidental timing on when the interview aired, but it seemed very hollow on a night when McNabb's opposing QB who was black was widely praised for his play (and it's not like he threw for 3td's and 300+). Yes, racism still exists. But I also think it's used as an excuse by some when it isn't necessarily germane and that's a slap in the face to those that are truly feeling the oppression of true discrimination!
Post #: 259
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 6:18:00 AM   
Easy E

[quote="Jake Carlson"]C'mon E, even you have to know that's a stretch. Last I checked I was arguing against your assertion that we all absolutely know someone who devalues a QB based on race or else we're burying our head in the sand. And your retort is to make a general claim that racism is alive and well today? I think we can all agree that racism unfortunately still happens, but I also think that it can be thrown around far too haphazardly which I think McNabb is doing in this case! For McNabb to even mention this in the QB context diminishes the real racism issues in this country. In my personal opinion, McNabb comes across as a cry-baby and is just showing that he can't handle the pressure in a tough sports town like Philly. I don't remember Chris Chandler crying discrimination when everyone was ripping him and screaming for Vick to replace him even though Chandler had just led them to a SB a few years earlier. I don't recall Jeff George, Brad Johnson, Ron Jaworski, Mark Brunell or other white QB's bring up race when the fans/coach wanted them benched for a black QB. And I know it was just coincidental timing on when the interview aired, but it seemed very hollow on a night when McNabb's opposing QB who was black was widely praised for his play (and it's not like he threw for 3td's and 300+). Yes, racism still exists. But I also think it's used as an excuse by some when it isn't necessarily germane and that's a slap in the face to those that are truly feeling the oppression of true discrimination![/quote] Jake, I will bet you 100 million dollars that you know someone who, while maybe not expressing it to you, does think that black QBs just aren't good enough to win a Super Bowl. This may not be your best friends or a family member. But I guarantee you that there is someone you know, whether you work with them, or they cut your hair, or whatever, that feels this way. I apologize if you somehow took that to mean something other than how I meant it. That is how I meant it. If you had a brain scanner on people's feelings, you would find this to be true. I push discussions like this, and I've found there are lots of people who think that black QBs are inferior. They also don't think they're rascists. As for McNabb crying about it? He plays in Philly, and has been called every sort of name in the book by fans. He's had a nationally "respected" media member/football "analyst" say that he's overrated precisely because of his skin color. I suppose he should just shut up and stop whining about it, but I don't really mind him talking about it.
Post #: 260
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 2:29:25 PM   
John Childress

The points are mutually exclusive in regards to McNabb being a bit of a crybaby AND there are a lot of people who ARE much harsher on Black QBs. * First off, McNabb didn't "bring this up" the reporter did and he answered truthfully. Was he supposed to lie? * Why was Randall Cunningham out of football for a year (2 years before a Pro Bowl performance)? * How could Kelly Holcomb get a job before Byron Leftwich? Seriously? * Do you think that maybe at least part of the 3 months of attacks on Vick was due to race? * McNabb does have thin skin. If he didn't he would still be throwing TDs to Owens and competing for Super Bowls. * I also like Young's attitude. He realizes that even though McNabb is right if you bring that up the media will paint you as playing the race card and it will do no good for your career. But he has certainly been a victim himself. Remember all the "experts" who went way overboard to say he would be a bust? Please, racism exists AND McNabb needs to buck up.
Post #: 261
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 2:36:07 PM   
John Childress

Jake To your point... There a lot of people who are stuggling who take real offense to McNabb complaining about racism while he maks millions. Again, the points are mutually exclusive. He can be treated more harshly while at the same time making millions. But, as you alluded to, those who are stuggling to put food on the table AND facing racism have no sypmathy for a millionaire who is possibly treated more harshly. I guess complaining about race is like Coach's Challenges - you only get so many and you don't want to use them on plays that don't benefit you that much!
Post #: 262
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 6:04:44 PM   
Lynn G.

quote:

How could Kelly Holcomb get a job before Byron Leftwich? Seriously?
Wasn't Leftwich still employed at the time Holcomb was picked up the by the Vikes?
Post #: 263
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 6:11:06 PM   
thebigo

[quote="Easy E"][quote="Trekgeekscott"]If he is looking toward the future...he is going to have a good shot at getting Brian Brohm. In that case, Leftwich might be a good stopgap until the kid is ready.[/quote] I think Leftwich is a good QB for them period. They have a great running system, and Leftwich should be perfect in the play action passes they can set up from that. Not that they won't draft a QB, but Leftwich's problem has been injuries, not talent. With their strong running game and very good line play, he could have a lot of success there if he stays healthy. I think he'll be able to use Crumpler and Horn, get him another receiver to go with Norwood (who is excellent, IMO) and they could be scary next year.[/quote] I've got Horn in my Dead pool.
Post #: 264
RE:NFL News - 9/22/2007 6:14:37 PM   
thebigo

[quote="Lynn Garthwaite"]
quote:

How could Kelly Holcomb get a job before Byron Leftwich? Seriously?
Wasn't Leftwich still employed at the time Holcomb was picked up the by the Vikes? Right, but the Vikings history of not employing black QBs... uh, er, the fact that Leftwich is a better fit than Holcomb for our offensive system... uh, er
Post #: 265
RE:NFL News - 9/23/2007 4:25:19 PM   
Duane Sampson

Raiders Release Travis Taylor; Promote Jon Alston Sun Sep 23, 2007 AP reports the Oakland Raiders have released veteran WR Travis Taylor and promoted LB Jon Alston from the practice squad.
Post #: 266
RE:NFL News - 9/23/2007 4:25:50 PM   
Duane Sampson

Matt Jones Looking for Trade Possibilities Sun Sep 23, 2007 Fox Sports' John Czarnecki reports Jacksonville Jaguars HC Jack Del Rio and WR Matt Jones appear to be fed up with one another. Del Rio has gotten into Jones' face and basically called him a puss. Jones may not play because of a heel injury and his agent has been looking around to see if any teams might be interested in him.
Post #: 267
RE:NFL News - 9/23/2007 4:28:50 PM   
Duane Sampson

Martz Looking for Another HC Job Sun Sep 23, 2007 Fox Sports' John Czarnecki reports Detroit Lions OC Mike Martz is hoping that another good season, maybe a playoff year, can lead to another head coaching job in the NFL. He has worked well with Lions HC Rod Marinelli and he believes his receiving corps may be the equal to the guys he had in St. Louis when the Rams went to two Super Bowls.
Post #: 268
RE:NFL News - 9/23/2007 6:51:56 PM   
Jim Frenette

The Eagles sure are wearing ugly uniforms today
Post #: 269
RE:NFL News - 9/23/2007 10:18:36 PM   
Toby Stumbo

Those Redskins ones are quite bad too :lol:
Post #: 270
RE:NFL News - 9/24/2007 5:29:33 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Could Martz be the guy to replace KA???
Post #: 271
RE:NFL News - 9/24/2007 6:00:29 PM   
Trekgeekscott

Let's Hope not.
Post #: 272
RE:NFL News - 9/24/2007 6:49:56 PM   
Jim Frenette

From Profootballtalk.com There are uncorroborated rumors making the rounds that Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was beat up, presumably by one or more teammates, following a Falcons loss that was fueled in part by Hall's inability to control his emotions. After being flagged for a total of 67 yards on a second-half drive that the Panthers used to tie the game, Hall got into a sideline confrontation with coach Bobby Petrino. We don't know for sure whether Hall was indeed roughed up or otherwise accosted by teammates after the game, but it wouldn't surprise us to find out that the rumor is true. Hall is a brash and outspoken member of the organization, and his Virginia Tech ties to Mike Vick probably have prompted some in the locker room to view him differently in the wake of Vick's legal troubles. Today's actions would have potentially been enough to get a frustrated Falcon to convert hostile feelings toward Hall into action
Post #: 273
RE:NFL News - 9/24/2007 6:50:48 PM   
Jim Frenette

From Profootballtalk.com There are uncorroborated rumors making the rounds that Falcons cornerback DeAngelo Hall was beat up, presumably by one or more teammates, following a Falcons loss that was fueled in part by Hall's inability to control his emotions. After being flagged for a total of 67 yards on a second-half drive that the Panthers used to tie the game, Hall got into a sideline confrontation with coach Bobby Petrino. We don't know for sure whether Hall was indeed roughed up or otherwise accosted by teammates after the game, but it wouldn't surprise us to find out that the rumor is true. Hall is a brash and outspoken member of the organization, and his Virginia Tech ties to Mike Vick probably have prompted some in the locker room to view him differently in the wake of Vick's legal troubles. Today's actions would have potentially been enough to get a frustrated Falcon to convert hostile feelings toward Hall into action
Post #: 274
RE:NFL News - 9/24/2007 9:46:04 PM   
Lynn G.

So the conclusion is that there are definitely some organizations out there in MUCH more disarray than ours.
Post #: 275
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:NFL News Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode