Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: RE:NFL News

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: RE:NFL News Page: <<   < prev  217 218 [219] 220 221   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE:NFL News - 2/11/2011 10:02:20 PM   
Cheesehead Craig

It does seem like the Pats and Brady have not performed well in the postseason lately though. The NFL is nothing if not a "what have you done lately" league.

You can't have the #1 scoring offense in the regular season (by a pretty wide margin) and have the best record in the league and then disappear in the playoffs and use the "rebuilding" card to dismiss it. They shredded good defenses during the regular season but flopped in the postseason.

Last year it was the #6 scoring offense failing in the postseason.

Both games were at home.

I'm certainly not going to write off the Pats or Brady either, but there is some evidence to support that the Pats are being outcoached and outplayed come playoff time. Bill in all his "genius" and Brady in all his "intelligence and coolness" aren't living up to the postseason hype lately. If another home one and done postseason happens next season, then BB and Brady got some explaining to do.
Post #: 5451
Bears/Tice - 2/15/2011 1:26:44 AM   
thebigo

Is there a precedent for this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6122926
Post #: 5452
RE: RE:NFL News - 2/15/2011 7:45:53 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesehead Craig

It does seem like the Pats and Brady have not performed well in the postseason lately though. The NFL is nothing if not a "what have you done lately" league.

You can't have the #1 scoring offense in the regular season (by a pretty wide margin) and have the best record in the league and then disappear in the playoffs and use the "rebuilding" card to dismiss it. They shredded good defenses during the regular season but flopped in the postseason.

Last year it was the #6 scoring offense failing in the postseason.

Both games were at home.

I'm certainly not going to write off the Pats or Brady either, but there is some evidence to support that the Pats are being outcoached and outplayed come playoff time. Bill in all his "genius" and Brady in all his "intelligence and coolness" aren't living up to the postseason hype lately. If another home one and done postseason happens next season, then BB and Brady got some explaining to do.

I am writing them off until they win another SB.

The last one they won was 6 years ago and they cheated.

They won 3 SBs by one score and cheated in all of them.

They have 0 playoff wins the last three years.

People need to stop treating them like the 2003-2004 Patriots because they are not.

The Packers are better at almost EVERY single position including QB

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 5453
RE: RE:NFL News - 2/15/2011 7:49:15 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

All those awards and 1 and done 2 straight years in the playoffs

If we are talking about Tom Brady, then guess what...He hasn't won a playoff game in 4 years and hasn't managed his offense to more than 21 points in any of the four or so games he's played. 

He's turning into a great regular season QB who chokes a lot in the playoffs...like his counterpart...Peyton Manning.

I disagree. I think it has a lot more to do with the defenses he's faced. The Giants' game was won on a total fluke catch, and an amazing defense that he faced. The Jets' game this year was basically the Jets' superbowl, and was one of the best coverage displays I've ever seen put on by a defense.

Except you forget that in the last four games in the playoffs, Brady hasn't put more than 21 points on the board.  And three of those games he had the good Randy Moss.  A good QB overcomes the better defenses enough to win.  Brady is like 0-4 in his last four playoff games...and the first was with the most prolific scoring offense in NFL history.  Brady isn't what he was anymore.  He's still good...but recent history suggests a choking dog in the playoffs. 

BINGO

7 INTs in his last 4 playoff games

He is 33 years old and had major knee surgery (after which he has 0 playoff wins)

Yeah, the pats have a lot of picks

So what

They still have to win playoff games

Post #: 5454
RE: Bears/Tice - 2/15/2011 10:02:09 AM   
Cheesehead Craig

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

2 thoughts on this:

1 - Either he doesn't want to go there and asked the Bears to help him save face.
2 - The Bears know their OL would be a disaster (and thus their offense) without him there and are going to block him from leaving until the position is more settled.
Post #: 5455
RE: Bears/Tice - 2/15/2011 10:18:46 AM   
John Childress

The Philadelphia Eagles placed their franchise tag on quarterback Michael Vick on Tuesday, the team announced.

Mike and Mike in the Morning
ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton says franchising QB Michael Vick allows the Eagles to take offers on QB Kevin Kolb. Plus, Clayton says he's no longer optimistic about a new CBA before the March deadline.

In addition, the Eagles said they have placed their transition tag on kicker David Akers.

Under rules of the soon-to-expire collective bargaining agreement, franchise tags pay players the average of the top five players at that position. Transition tags pay players the average of the top 10 at the position, plus it gives teams the ability to match any offer given to the designated player in free agency.

It is uncertain if franchise and transition tags will be part of the next CBA.

"Michael Vick and David Akers were two of our most valuable players last year," coach Andy Reid said in a statement announcing the moves. "They were well deserving of their Pro Bowl berths and we're happy to take this step to ensure that they'll be back in Philadelphia next season."

ESPN.com reported last month that the Eagles would franchise Vick. If franchise tags are upheld, the move will tie Vick to Philadelphia for the 2011 season and put the Eagles in a better position to potentially trade backup Kevin Kolb, who wants to be a starter elsewhere next season.

Logan Mankins received the New England Patriots' franchise tag on Monday. No players are expected to sign franchise tags while the NFLPA challenges their validity.

Vick made $5.25 million in 2010 but would make an estimated $20 million -- the average salary of the five highest-paid quarterbacks in the league -- as the Eagles' franchise player.

Vick was selected to start the Pro Bowl last month, his fourth trip to Hawaii in eight seasons. He is coming off a season of career highs in passing yards (3,018), passing touchdowns (21), rushing touchdowns (9), completion percentage (62.6) and passer rating (100.2). The Eagles (10-7) were 8-3 in games Vick started and finished.

Vick was voted The Associated Press Comeback Player of the Year after missing two seasons while serving a prison sentence for his role in a dogfighting ring, and he played only sparingly in 2009.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's

Post #: 5456
RE: Bears/Tice - 2/15/2011 10:44:23 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesehead Craig

quote:

2 thoughts on this:

1 - Either he doesn't want to go there and asked the Bears to help him save face.
2 - The Bears know their OL would be a disaster (and thus their offense) without him there and are going to block him from leaving until the position is more settled.

I can't really imagine #1, if an OC position is available you at least want to talk about it. Plus the Bears wouldn't want to take the PR hit just because Tice didn't want to talk to them.

I'm sure #2 is the case. Tice can't be none too happy about it. Maybe he will sabotage them next year.

< Message edited by thebigo -- 2/15/2011 10:48:29 AM >
Post #: 5457
RE: Bears/Tice - 2/15/2011 11:10:14 AM   
David Levine

quote:

I'm not sure they can even do that under league rules, can they?

Tice doesn't have an "Assistant Head Coach" title like he did in Jacksonville, so this is a clear promotion.
Post #: 5458
RE: Bears/Tice - 2/15/2011 8:41:36 PM   
babram

Read this on Fox Sports. Does the voting need fixing?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pro-football-hall-of-fame-voting-is-busted-but-i-can-fix-it-020911
Post #: 5459
RE: Bears/Tice - 2/15/2011 10:51:32 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

I'm not sure they can even do that under league rules, can they?

Tice doesn't have an "Assistant Head Coach" title like he did in Jacksonville, so this is a clear promotion.

I thought it was just SOP, not league rule mandated. If you get the reputation that you don't let your coaches move elsewhere for promotions, that gives future coaching candidates pause.
Post #: 5460
RE: Bears/Tice - 2/16/2011 7:31:14 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: babram

Read this on Fox Sports. Does the voting need fixing?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pro-football-hall-of-fame-voting-is-busted-but-i-can-fix-it-020911

No it doesn't need fixing.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5461
RE: Bears/Tice - 3/8/2011 2:42:07 PM   
djskillz

Cannot believe Tiki's trying to come back.

The man's going to be 36 this season!

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 5462
RE: Bears/Tice - 3/9/2011 9:50:05 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Probably wants to pad some rushing yards on to his career total to try to get into the HOF.
Post #: 5463
RE: NFL News - 3/11/2011 3:10:27 PM   
Cheesehead Craig

Tiki's broke and needs to work.
Post #: 5464
RE: Bears/Tice - 3/11/2011 3:12:33 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

I think he's just going to embarass himself.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5465
RE: Bears/Tice - 3/25/2011 3:09:18 PM   
Stacey King

Hall of Famer Deion Sanders has grown so frustrated with Dez Bryant's immaturity and "ignorance" that he stopped mentoring the receiver months ago.

"I'm upset but not surprised whatsoever," Sanders said of Bryant's latest episode at a Dallas area mall. "He needs help. I told the Cowboys from day one that he needs help. Matter of fact, they have a team in place to help him. But you cannot tell a grown man what to do." Sanders' primary concern is that Bryant's flippant attitude will "poison" the other kids that he mentors.
Post #: 5466
RE: Bears/Tice - 3/25/2011 9:02:40 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

Hall of Famer Deion Sanders has grown so frustrated with Dez Bryant's immaturity and "ignorance" that he stopped mentoring the receiver months ago.

"I'm upset but not surprised whatsoever," Sanders said of Bryant's latest episode at a Dallas area mall. "He needs help. I told the Cowboys from day one that he needs help. Matter of fact, they have a team in place to help him. But you cannot tell a grown man what to do." Sanders' primary concern is that Bryant's flippant attitude will "poison" the other kids that he mentors.

Couldn't happen to a nicer team.
Post #: 5467
RE: Bears/Tice - 5/9/2011 11:42:10 AM   
Stacey King

I remember this guy when I was young. Mini-Mack! Perfect complement to Sam-Bam Cunningham.
---------------------

Former football great Mack Herron appeared Saturday in Cook County Court after being charged with heroin possession, the latest in a string of drug troubles for the ex-running back whose power and small stature earned him the nickname "Mini Mack" when he played for the New England Patriots in the 1970s.

Chicago police saw Herron, 62, at the back door of an abandoned building in the 1600 block of South Drake Avenue in the North Lawndale neighborhood about 3 p.m. Friday, according to a police report. As the officers approached, Herron, who lives nearby in the 1800 block of South Hamlin Avenue, dropped a tinfoil packet holding one-fifth of a gram of heroin, police said.

A former gridiron star at what was then Farragut High School, Herron was an explosive multipurpose offensive player for the Patriots, standing just more than 5 feet 5 inches tall. In 1974, he set a National Football League record with 2,444 all-purpose yards, beating a 1966 record held by Chicago Bears legend Gale Sayers, according to football reference websites.

Herron has been arrested dozens of times since he left football and has at least seven felony convictions, prosecutors said.

He was held Saturday in Cook County Jail in lieu of $25,000 bail.

Post #: 5468
NFL News - 5/9/2011 5:16:38 PM   
Stacey King

Browns GM Tom Heckert says the team plans to re-sign free agent DE Jayme Mitchell once the lockout ends. Mitchell, 27, didn't play a snap last year after being acquired from the Vikings just before the trade deadline. At 6'6/285, Mitchell could project as a run-stopping end in Cleveland's new 4-3 defense, bookending No. 37 overall pick Jabaal Sheard.
Post #: 5469
RE: NFL News - 5/9/2011 5:32:17 PM   
David Levine

Mitchell was a guy who always seemed to look good when given a rare chance to play.
Post #: 5470
RE: NFL News - 5/9/2011 8:42:44 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stacey King

Browns GM Tom Heckert says the team plans to re-sign free agent DE Jayme Mitchell once the lockout ends. Mitchell, 27, didn't play a snap last year after being acquired from the Vikings just before the trade deadline. At 6'6/285, Mitchell could project as a run-stopping end in Cleveland's new 4-3 defense, bookending No. 37 overall pick Jabaal Sheard.

Did Mitchell put on about 20 lbs?
Post #: 5471
End of the road for Owens? - 6/27/2011 6:51:41 AM   
John Childress

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6707492

Career over?

Post #: 5472
RE: End of the road for Owens? - 6/27/2011 10:45:56 AM   
David Levine

quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6707492

Career over?

If healthy, he could have helped us. Still had a hell of a year: 72/983/9
Post #: 5473
RE: End of the road for Owens? - 6/27/2011 1:48:10 PM   
John Childress

All time

1. Rice
2. Moss
3. Owens
4. Carter
5. Sharpe (even with his shortened career due to injury)

What is your top 5?

Post #: 5474
RE: End of the road for Owens? - 6/27/2011 3:19:04 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

All time

1. Rice
2. Moss
3. Owens
4. Carter
5. Sharpe (even with his shortened career due to injury)

What is your top 5?

I can't really disagree with this.

Moss could have been better than Rice...if he only would have been as committed as Rice to be the best. 

Post #: 5475
Page:   <<   < prev  217 218 [219] 220 221   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE: RE:NFL News Page: <<   < prev  217 218 [219] 220 221   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode