Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:09:47 AM   
El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I believe Cardale Jones will go pro.....has the size and potential.

He might go pro, but I don't see him being anything more than a bigger Tim Tebow at best. He looks like a college QB to me, not an NFL QB.

The Dude Abides
Post #: 2651
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:11:19 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

He's got THREE games of college experience.

THREE.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Just not enough on him. Sure those three games were big games and he has talent, but if he goes first round that's a bust waiting to happen.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2652
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:16:10 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

THREE.

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Just not enough on him. Sure those three games were big games and he has talent, but if he goes first round that's a bust waiting to happen.

I would shoot a 3rd round pick on him for the right team

A team like the Saints may figure they can milk 2 more years out of Brees while they groom him.

He can't got to a team expecting him to start this year

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 2653
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:16:41 AM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

quote:

He might go pro, but I don't see him being anything more than a bigger Tim Tebow at best. He looks like a college QB to me, not an NFL QB.

10X the passer of Tebow

No comparison there

Post #: 2654
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:20:35 AM   
Rob Viking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Anybody who followed Ohio State this year just a little bit would know the potential of this team. After the Wisconsin game I told my buddies that Ohio State would probably win it all. Up to that game I wasn't sure about their defense, but man they got that group playing some ball now. Their offensive skill players are simply outstanding.

I remember when they lost to Va Tech ad thinking they'd struggle, but the schedule was favorable in the next couple of games. That was big, by the time they went through their conference Barrett was a much different QB than he was in that Va Tech game.

They also needed all the style points they could get by soundly beating Mich St and thrashing Wisconsin. The biggest scare was the Saturday night game in Happy valley, PSU played incredible defense, but Joey Bosa came through big time on several occasions in that one including the game ending sack where he shoved the RB into the back of the QB.

This team is loaded and they're not losing many players, Devin Smith who has made big plays consistently, Huerman the TE, Steve Miller and Curtis Grant on defense but they'll still be loaded for another run.

B10 is improving, OSU, MSU, PSU improving, Harbaugh at Mich, the B10 might be the 2nd best conference come next season.
Post #: 2655
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:29:15 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

I'd go so far as to say that Jones has a better arm than both Winston and Mariota, based on a limited sample.

Would be really, really interesting to see where he'd go in the draft if he comes out.

Intriguing for sure.

IMO he could go either way. He could be an uber talented JaMarcus Russell type, or a terrific find.

Real risky to take very high, and prolly would cost a GM/ HC their jobs if they picked him top 10, and he failed.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2656
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:41:03 AM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

THREE.

I would shoot a 3rd round pick on him for the right team

A team like the Saints may figure they can milk 2 more years out of Brees while they groom him.

He can't got to a team expecting him to start this year

agree,

if you draft him in round 3 and sit him for 2 years, you only have 2 years of play until his contract is up

seems like you would want to be able to add that 5th year rookie option

YMMV

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 2657
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:41:49 AM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

10X the passer of Tebow

No comparison there

agree, but i have only seen 2ish games of the kid.

Post #: 2658
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:42:50 AM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

I'd go so far as to say that Jones has a better arm than both Winston and Mariota, based on a limited sample.

Would be really, really interesting to see where he'd go in the draft if he comes out.

Intriguing for sure.

IMO he could go either way. He could be an uber talented JaMarcus Russell type, or a terrific find.

Real risky to take very high, and prolly would cost a GM/ HC their jobs if they picked him top 10, and he failed.

maybe a team could trade back into the late first round....aka the Spielman Special

Post #: 2659
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:50:52 AM   
Rob Viking

Cardale was making throws that Braxton nor Barrett could make that's for sure. But I don't think I would take a chance on a Urban Meyer QB, his system works for college but doesn't prepare QBs for the pros. Cardale just like Tebow was making 1st downs by bull rushing smaller defenders in college that he won't be bull rushing in the pros.
Post #: 2660
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:54:00 AM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

Cardale was making throws that Braxton nor Barrett could make that's for sure. But I don't think I would take a chance on a Urban Meyer QB, his system works for college but doesn't prepare QBs for the pros. Cardale just like Tebow was making 1st downs by bull rushing smaller defenders in college that he won't be bull rushing in the pros.

true, VERY raw

the arm strength seemed to be there along with accuracy

can he do more than a 1-read offense?

who knows

another reason to go pro. What else will he learn in that system? Might as well start working with pro-level coaches/schemes

Post #: 2661
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:59:22 AM   
John Childress

In what way does he throw the ball like Tebow?

Comments like that make me think people didn't even watch the game

Dude could be the next Jemarcus for all I know but his passing skills are nowhere remotely similar to Tebow

Post #: 2662
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 12:04:39 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Anybody who watched Wisconsin and Ohio State play had to come away knowing Ohio State can play with anyone.
Oregon is a completely different challenge than Alabama is and in my opinion a tougher one for Ohio State. Ohio State is not a great defensive team and I believe Oregon's pace and style will give them the edge. I expect another high scoring and competitive game.

This is in stark contrast to your recent post about you saying you told your buddies Ohio State would probably win it all.
Post #: 2663
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 12:07:44 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

quote:

quote:

Intriguing for sure.

maybe a team could trade back into the late first round....aka the Spielman Special

Still a crap shoot, but any comparison to Tebow is way off. The kid was throwing deep into windows accurately..

Almost zero sample size, but I'll say this, the stage wasn't too big for him at all...

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2664
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 12:08:35 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Intriguing for sure.

Still a crap shoot, but any comparison to Tebow is way off. The kid was throwing deep into windows accurately..

Almost zero sample size, but I'll say this, the stage wasn't too big for him at all...

It also doesn't take him 30 seconds to wind up.
Post #: 2665
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 12:22:08 PM   
John Childress

21-20

OSU goes on 2 75 yard TD drives
In between Mariota goes 1 for 3 and a 4 and out

35-20

game over

Post #: 2666
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 12:22:50 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Anybody who watched Wisconsin and Ohio State play had to come away knowing Ohio State can play with anyone.
Oregon is a completely different challenge than Alabama is and in my opinion a tougher one for Ohio State. Ohio State is not a great defensive team and I believe Oregon's pace and style will give them the edge. I expect another high scoring and competitive game.

This is in stark contrast to your recent post about you saying you told your buddies Ohio State would probably win it all.

Should have been could instead of would. Thanks for checking.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2667
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 12:24:13 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Intriguing for sure.

Don't see the Tebow comparison. His deep passes have been consistently right on.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 2668
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:07:35 PM   
drviking

i also agree, i dont see Tebow at all to be fair INSANELY small sample size

but Tebow?

i would love to see an explanation to how he looks like Tebow. I dont know if there is such a thing as 'opposite of Tebow', but Jones has to be something close to that in just about every measurement

again

crazy small sample size

Post #: 2669
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:11:21 PM   
djskillz

quote:

I don't know. Alex Smith has been a pretty solid QB in the NFL. Not great, but he's middle of the pack or so, at least. And Jones' talent is pretty undeniable.

I wouldn't use a 1st rd pick on him either, but 3rd or so might be about right. I agree he certainly can't play right away in the pros. Heck, we have needs but I wouldn't be opposed to taking him (or a guy like Petty) in the 3rd or 4th rd for us. We could use some depth at the QB position.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2670
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:14:20 PM   
djskillz

Jones is way bigger than Tebow. Tebow's pretty strong, but man, Jones looks like Cam Newton or maybe even bigger.

And from a limited sample looked to have as big of an arm as there is, college or pro. IMO.

FWIW listed:

Jones: 6-5, 250
Tebow: 6-3, 236
Newton: 6-5, 245

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2671
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:17:22 PM   
John Childress

quote:

quote:

I don't know. Alex Smith has been a pretty solid QB in the NFL. Not great, but he's middle of the pack or so, at least. And Jones' talent is pretty undeniable.

I wouldn't use a 1st rd pick on him either, but 3rd or so might be about right. I agree he certainly can't play right away in the pros. Heck, we have needs but I wouldn't be opposed to taking him (or a guy like Petty) in the 3rd or 4th rd for us. We could use some depth at the QB position.

Alex Smith is a purgatory QB

Good enough to keep you competitive

Not good enough to win a championship

Exactly why Harbaugh canned him for Kap

Kap needs more work but has a much higher upside

Smith over Rodgers was one of the dumbest drafts in the history of the NFL

I said it at the time

Post #: 2672
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:26:25 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Jones/Tebow comparison? Nah, way different. I would look at him more like Culpepper. Huge dude with a huge arm. Mobile enough, when needed.
Post #: 2673
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:27:30 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

10X the passer of Tebow

No comparison there

Tebow can't throw a football for shit.

That's why he's out of the league.

Of course there's no comparison.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 2674
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:31:14 PM   
John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Jones/Tebow comparison? Nah, way different. I would look at him more like Culpepper. Huge dude with a huge arm. Mobile enough, when needed.

Anyone measure his hands?!!!

Post #: 2675
Page:   <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode