Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:37:07 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Jones/Tebow comparison? Nah, way different. I would look at him more like Culpepper. Huge dude with a huge arm. Mobile enough, when needed.

Anyone measure his hands?!!!

does he need gloves?

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 2676
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:37:45 PM   
djskillz

I think Cam is probably the best comparison from a purely physical standpoint. Both have elite arms and elite bodies. As someone said recently "the Lebron James of football". That's what Jones seems to be tools-wise.

JC, I certainly agree with you on Smith. But he's still a "solid" NFL QB. As I said, somewhere around middle of the pack. He's not a "bad" NFL QB, just shouldn't have been the #1 pick. I wouldn't call that a bust or bad reflection on a coach.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 1/13/2015 2:39:09 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2677
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 2:39:01 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

Cardale was making throws that Braxton nor Barrett could make that's for sure. But I don't think I would take a chance on a Urban Meyer QB, his system works for college but doesn't prepare QBs for the pros. Cardale just like Tebow was making 1st downs by bull rushing smaller defenders in college that he won't be bull rushing in the pros.

I don't know. Alex Smith has been a pretty solid QB in the NFL. Not great, but he's middle of the pack or so, at least. And Jones' talent is pretty undeniable.

I wouldn't use a 1st rd pick on him either, but 3rd or so might be about right. I agree he certainly can't play right away in the pros. Heck, we have needs but I wouldn't be opposed to taking him (or a guy like Petty) in the 3rd or 4th rd for us. We could use some depth at the QB position.

yeah baby,

lets get greedy!!

i dont know what i would do if we drafted him in the 3rd.

NO WAY, he lasts that long, IMO, but he has only played a few games, so maybe

Post #: 2678
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 4:19:59 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

21-20

OSU goes on 2 75 yard TD drives
In between Mariota goes 1 for 3 and a 4 and out

35-20

game over

Not to mention he couldn't get the ball in the EZ after Cardale's miscue which gave them the ball deep in OSU territory down 21-17.
Post #: 2679
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 4:24:51 PM   
Rob Viking

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Viking

Cardale was making throws that Braxton nor Barrett could make that's for sure. But I don't think I would take a chance on a Urban Meyer QB, his system works for college but doesn't prepare QBs for the pros. Cardale just like Tebow was making 1st downs by bull rushing smaller defenders in college that he won't be bull rushing in the pros.

I don't know. Alex Smith has been a pretty solid QB in the NFL. Not great, but he's middle of the pack or so, at least. And Jones' talent is pretty undeniable.

I wouldn't use a 1st rd pick on him either, but 3rd or so might be about right. I agree he certainly can't play right away in the pros. Heck, we have needs but I wouldn't be opposed to taking him (or a guy like Petty) in the 3rd or 4th rd for us. We could use some depth at the QB position.

Alex Smith would have been a career backup or out of the league had he not been the #1 overall pick IMO. He was so bad his first 5 seasons, no one would have had the patience to stick with him.
Post #: 2680
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 5:19:57 PM   
djskillz

Maybe not. But that doesn't change the fact that he's become a decent (not great) QB now.

According to Urban Meyer himself, Norv Turner was about the best thing to ever happen to him. Said it was amazing to see his development under him.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2681
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 6:49:39 PM   
John Childress

Alex Smith and QBs of his level are worse than useless

Why?

They are fool's gold

THey can't win it all for you but because you have them you draft too high to get a stud QB prospect

Also, they fool fans into thinking they have a QB

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 2682
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 7:23:20 PM   
Bill Jandro

Color me unimpressed with Mariotta. He has wheels and a decent arm but OSU took away his 1st read and he looked a bit lost. He is a very good athlete and by all indicaters a good kid but he will have an uphill battle learning a completely different way of playing qb in the NFL.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2683
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 7:27:24 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Duderino

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I believe Cardale Jones will go pro.....has the size and potential.

He might go pro, but I don't see him being anything more than a bigger Tim Tebow at best. He looks like a college QB to me, not an NFL QB.

10X the passer of Tebow

No comparison there

Jones is the prototype NFL QB. Huge arm and a tall big body that can take an NFL pounding. Kid can run and deliver a blow as demonstrated. he was running over Oregon D-lineman.

If he declares he will go top of 2nd rd if not slip into the first. His stock will go up with more chatter and his measurables are thru the roof.

Post #: 2684
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 7:31:37 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

In what way does he throw the ball like Tebow?

Comments like that make me think people didn't even watch the game

Dude could be the next Jemarcus for all I know but his passing skills are nowhere remotely similar to Tebow

The only comparison is that Urban was their coach and they were/will both be drafted in the late first rd. It ends there.

Post #: 2685
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 7:45:52 PM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Color me unimpressed with Mariotta. He has wheels and a decent arm but OSU took away his 1st read and he looked a bit lost. He is a very good athlete and by all indicaters a good kid but he will have an uphill battle learning a completely different way of playing qb in the NFL.

I was more impressed with the Ohio QB

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 2686
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 8:21:06 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I think the chances are better for Peyton to join the Titans as an owner than a player. They're probably the worst team in football, so he'd have zero shot of winning a SB there anyway. Probably about zero shot of even making the playoffs.

And I'm not certain that Manning's offense is a good match for Jones to cut his teeth on.
Post #: 2687
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 8:28:28 PM   
drviking

quote:

Alex Smith and QBs of his level are worse than useless

Why?

They are fool's gold

THey can't win it all for you but because you have them you draft too high to get a stud QB prospect

Also, they fool fans into thinking they have a QB

this is the kind of game manager that give true game managers a bad name

Smith is labeled a game manager because he does not make many 'mistakes', unfortunately he cant make plays when needed.

a true game manager knows when to take chances and can make plays when needed, Alex smith only knows to NOT take chances, you cant win that way, IMO, you can only get to mediocre

Brett Favre could not be a game manager, cuz he could never learn how to stop the stupid mistake (throw back across his body), he could make a big play when needed (san fran game winner that year, although that was still a SWEET catch by Greg), but could not manage a game by being in control of game

Post #: 2688
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 8:32:51 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: drviking

kinda weird, the points say the game was not close

but the game felt sorta close for a bit...

but thinking back, OSU pretty much handled them all night, gave em four TOs, and still was not close

Kind of expected Oregon's offense to break out at any time.
Post #: 2689
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 8:34:58 PM   
John Childress

quote:

Agree completely

No more acceptance of mediocrity!!!! EVER!
Post #: 2690
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 8:42:34 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

Agree completely

who has had the most success transitioning from a 1-read offense to the NFL?

Vick?

Post #: 2691
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 10:10:50 PM   
Karl H

quote:

Jones is the prototype NFL QB. Huge arm and a tall big body that can take an NFL pounding. Kid can run and deliver a blow as demonstrated. he was running over Oregon D-lineman.

If he declares he will go top of 2nd rd if not slip into the first. His stock will go up with more chatter and his measurables are thru the roof.

Kinda makes you wonder how, in his third season, he was passed by a true freshman and fell to #3 on the depth chart.
Post #: 2692
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 10:24:49 PM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree completely

Vick?

Probably McNair, who supposedly knew about 5 plays in college. This is according to his coordinator (our old coach Les), but he supposedly had basically no play knowledge at all since he didn't need to at Alcorn State to dominate. But he was tough as hell (said he once had a root canal with no drugs) and they worked a ton with him. And he won an MVP.

Post #: 2693
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/13/2015 11:01:18 PM   
drviking

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agree completely

Vick?

Probably McNair, who supposedly knew about 5 plays in college. This is according to his coordinator (our old coach Les), but he supposedly had basically no play knowledge at all since he didn't need to at Alcorn State to dominate. But he was tough as hell (said he once had a root canal with no drugs) and they worked a ton with him. And he won an MVP.

cool example

Post #: 2694
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2015 2:25:12 AM   
McMurfy

Ok, settle down.
Clearly not Mariota's best game, but he went 24-37 for 300 plus and 2TDs.
The offense is certainly not a one read offense for the QB as well.
Oregon was definitely pounded but there are some absurd comparisons going on here.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 2695
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2015 6:35:15 AM   
DavidAOlson

Just have to complain about the AP college rankings:

1. Ohio State (59 first place votes)
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama

So Alabama barely loses to Ohio State, but gets rated below Oregon, which got crushed?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ohio-state-no--1-and-tcu-no--3-in-final-ap-poll-of-2014-season-081035803.html

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2696
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2015 6:49:51 AM   
bohumm

I think the best comparison for Jones is Big Ben, but seemingly with better wheels once he leaves the pocket
Post #: 2697
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2015 7:45:04 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl H

quote:

Kinda makes you wonder how, in his third season, he was passed by a true freshman and fell to #3 on the depth chart.

Heard some talk of this which does raise a red flag. Kid with those tools should be starting over both Barrett and Miller.

Did hear he was ahead of Barrett but got moved down before spring practice even started. My guess is he is a little immature. He did make a pretty dumb tweet about why football players have to attend classes a while back.

Post #: 2698
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2015 8:40:35 AM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama

So Alabama barely loses to Ohio State, but gets rated below Oregon, which got crushed?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/ohio-state-no--1-and-tcu-no--3-in-final-ap-poll-of-2014-season-081035803.html

Oregon did win one playoff game against the then undefeated, defending national champions. That counts for something.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2699
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 1/14/2015 9:54:41 AM   
DavidAOlson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidAOlson

2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama

Oregon did win one playoff game against the then undefeated, defending national champions. That counts for something.

Sure it counts for something. Just like Alabama's wins over other teams count for something, and Alabama would have crushed FSU.

Although it was politically impossible to leave FSU of the playoffs, it shouldn't have been rated high enough to get in (by differential, they weren't even in the top 10, lots of close wins, good + "lucky" ≠ great). TCU should've been in the playoffs over them.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2700
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode