Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/18/2016 8:37:05 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

http://newsok.com/article/5531208

Mixon just became undraftable

Why is that? We've had a guy on the team for a number of years who beat his kid.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3176
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/18/2016 9:43:32 AM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Why is that? We've had a guy on the team for a number of years who beat his kid.

... who we are rolling the red carpet out for
Post #: 3177
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/18/2016 9:44:14 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Ray Rice(who says he would play for minimum) is better than a lot of backups in the league and he can't get a sniff.
Post #: 3178
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/18/2016 10:33:55 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Nice RB(Abdullah) from James Madison. Torched NDSU tonight. Catches ball well also.

Maybe in rounds 4 or 5.

Mark I wanted to see you guys win. What a program you have.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3179
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/18/2016 11:48:49 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Nice RB(Abdullah) from James Madison. Torched NDSU tonight. Catches ball well also.

Maybe in rounds 4 or 5.

Mark I wanted to see you guys win. What a program you have.

It was bound to come to an end. We have dodged bullets a couple times in playoffs over the last 6 years. Not this year.

Definitely will be in the mix next year. Defense will be scary good with a lot coming back(Deluca got a medical redshirt).

Stick needs to be more consistent throwing the ball. He is a great athlete and strong leader. Urzendowski is solid.

Nebraska pipeline has been instrumental in their success.
Post #: 3180
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/20/2016 9:39:37 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

National Titles By School Top-10

1) UCLA 113
2) Stanford 109
3) USC 103
4) Oklahoma State 51
5) Penn State 48
t6) Texas 44
t6) Arkansas 44
8) LSU 43
9) North Carolina 42
t10) California 36
t10) Michigan 36

The Pac 12 is the benchmark for all other conferences when it comes to student-athletes. Not only are the athletes great, but they have to go to be really smart to even get into the majority of the schools. Every conference should model themselves after the Pac 12. It's why they call if the Conference of Champions.

Most of the other schools on that list are an absolute joke when it comes to academics. You barely have to breath to get into Oklahoma State, Arkansas or LSU.

I don't think Treadwell was a curve-raiser at Ole Miss. Do the Vikings think about doing an IQ or similar test on the players they draft? You can't teach stupid.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 3181
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/20/2016 9:52:01 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

1) UCLA 113
2) Stanford 109
3) USC 103
4) Oklahoma State 51
5) Penn State 48
t6) Texas 44
t6) Arkansas 44
8) LSU 43
9) North Carolina 42
t10) California 36
t10) Michigan 36

The Pac 12 is the benchmark for all other conferences when it comes to student-athletes. Not only are the athletes great, but they have to go to be really smart to even get into the majority of the schools. Every conference should model themselves after the Pac 12. It's why they call if the Conference of Champions.

Most of the other schools on that list are an absolute joke when it comes to academics. You barely have to breath to get into Oklahoma State, Arkansas or LSU.

I don't think Treadwell was a curve-raiser at Ole Miss. Do the Vikings think about doing an IQ or similar test on the players they draft? You can't teach stupid.

So you're a natural?
Post #: 3182
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/20/2016 9:58:54 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

quote:

1) UCLA 113
2) Stanford 109
3) USC 103
4) Oklahoma State 51
5) Penn State 48
t6) Texas 44
t6) Arkansas 44
8) LSU 43
9) North Carolina 42
t10) California 36
t10) Michigan 36

Put two more on the board for Stanford in the past two weeks, women's volleyball and men's soccer.

Post #: 3183
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/22/2016 4:37:57 PM   
Tim Cady

http://newsok.com/sooners-joe-mixon-it-felt-like-a-dude-hit-me/article/5531466?articleBar=1

I would take him. I am in no way defending domestic violence but I believe she instigated this and because she struck him first has no case. If she were a dude, she would have been charged with assault for starting the fight. Please note that Mixon was 18 and Molitor was 20 at the time. He had a right to defend a push and a punch. Not the same as Ray Rice at all. She was the apparent agitator and aggressor. Has it been established whether she was under the influence.

Hell Winston is a damn protected rapist by FSU. The NFL proved that if you are good enough that stuff does not matter. Where did he go? Oh yeah number freaking 1. Winston had many Alleged victims. It was honor to be raped by him, he would even give you a ride home.

This Mixon kid had an isolated incident, in which It could be argued that Molitor was the predator. Again if she were a guy and did this she would have been charged with assault.

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 3184
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/22/2016 7:27:13 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tim Cady

http://newsok.com/sooners-joe-mixon-it-felt-like-a-dude-hit-me/article/5531466?articleBar=1

I would take him. I am in no way defending domestic violence but I believe she instigated this and because she struck him first has no case. If she were a dude, she would have been charged with assault for starting the fight. Please note that Mixon was 18 and Molitor was 20 at the time. He had a right to defend a push and a punch. Not the same as Ray Rice at all. She was the apparent agitator and aggressor. Has it been established whether she was under the influence.

Hell Winston is a damn protected rapist by FSU. The NFL proved that if you are good enough that stuff does not matter. Where did he go? Oh yeah number freaking 1. Winston had many Alleged victims. It was honor to be raped by him, he would even give you a ride home.

This Mixon kid had an isolated incident, in which It could be argued that Molitor was the predator. Again if she were a guy and did this she would have been charged with assault.

Could be a blessing in disguise depending on what rd we could get him. Kid has bonified 1st rd talent and has a well rounded skill set.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 3185
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/23/2016 4:03:46 PM   
Tim Cady

quote:

quote:

Could be a blessing in disguise depending on what rd we could get him. Kid has bonified 1st rd talent and has a well rounded skill set.

Mia Molitor in 15 years, only instead of Bama she will be the aggressive Mom at the Sooners games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVVNN2pzaHw

Go the extra mile, it's never crowded!
Post #: 3186
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/27/2016 2:41:53 PM   
Steve Lentz

Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on December 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM, updated December 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM
The website FiveThirtyEight.com recently ranked college football teams from the past 80 years by something called ELO score, which was originally created to rank chess players (and the formula for which I can't begin to understand).

The ELO system (not affiliated with Electric Light Orchestra as far as I know) has also been used on a year-to-year basis by college football computer whiz Jeff Sagarin. At any rate, the all-time ELO rankings have the current Alabama team at No. 1, just ahead of 1995 Nebraska and 2015 Alabama.

Obviously, the Crimson Tide must win its final two games -- against Washington in the Peach Bowl and against either Clemson or Ohio State in the national championship game -- to stay atop those rankings. I do not have a mathematical formula to back me up on this, but I still consider the 1995 Nebraska team the greatest of my lifetime (1973-present), just ahead of 2016 Alabama.

Here's why:

* The Cornhuskers' closest win that year was by 14 points over Washington State, 35-21. In that game, the Cougars scored with 3 1/2 minutes left to cut it to 14. In every other game, Nebraska won by at least 23.

By contrast, Alabama has had a couple of close calls, with a 48-43 victory over Ole Miss and a 10-0 win over LSU on its schedule. In the earlier game, the Crimson Tide actually led by 18 in the second half before the Rebels scored two late touchdowns, but the LSU game was scoreless heading into the final quarter.

* Hold on, you say, Nebraska probably beat up on a weak Big 8 conference that year. Well, not really. Kansas State, Colorado and Kansas all finished with at least 10 wins, and the Cornhuskers whipped them all by an average score of 45-16.

Alabama has one victory so far over a team with double-digit wins, that being a 38-10 win over a Western Kentucky team that finished 11-3. USC, which Alabama beat 52-6 on opening weekend, is the only other Crimson Tide regular-season opponent with a chance to get to 10 wins. (And let's remember teams play one more regular-season game now than they did back then, which they played just 11).

* Nebraska won its national championship by routing Florida 62-24 in the Fiesta Bowl. That Gators team, which many (including me) considered the best of the Steve Spurrier era, had won all its previous games by double-digits. Alabama won't have a chance to beat a team as good as that 1995 Florida team.

Alabama's championship story is not yet written. Should the Crimson Tide win convincingly over Washington and Ohio State/Clemson, then I would say it certainly has an argument as the greatest team of all-time.

For one thing, the Crimson Tide would have played 15 games whereas Nebraska in 1995 played only 12. That's 25 percent more games -- and thus, three more chances to lose -- for one team over the other.

And Nebraska in 1995 did not have to play a conference championship game, nor did it have to win a national semifinal game. If Alabama wins out, it will have beaten the country's No. 4 team and then either No. 2 or No. 3.

So here's the bottom line -- If Alabama wins its next two games in convincing fashion, it's the greatest college football team of all time in my opinion. But it's not there yet.

(As an aside, we all remember in 2005 when ESPN was hyping USC as the greatest college football team of all time. The Trojans then promptly lost in the Rose Bowl to Vince Young and Texas, in what might be the most exciting college football game ever).

So what do you think? Any other teams you'd consider for No. 1 all-time?

I'll take your questions and comments on that or anything else on your mind beginning at 10 a.m.

Post #: 3187
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/27/2016 2:54:12 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Creg Stephenson | cstephenson@al.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on December 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM, updated December 27, 2016 at 9:48 AM
The website FiveThirtyEight.com recently ranked college football teams from the past 80 years by something called ELO score, which was originally created to rank chess players (and the formula for which I can't begin to understand).

The ELO system (not affiliated with Electric Light Orchestra as far as I know) has also been used on a year-to-year basis by college football computer whiz Jeff Sagarin. At any rate, the all-time ELO rankings have the current Alabama team at No. 1, just ahead of 1995 Nebraska and 2015 Alabama.

Obviously, the Crimson Tide must win its final two games -- against Washington in the Peach Bowl and against either Clemson or Ohio State in the national championship game -- to stay atop those rankings. I do not have a mathematical formula to back me up on this, but I still consider the 1995 Nebraska team the greatest of my lifetime (1973-present), just ahead of 2016 Alabama.

Here's why:

* The Cornhuskers' closest win that year was by 14 points over Washington State, 35-21. In that game, the Cougars scored with 3 1/2 minutes left to cut it to 14. In every other game, Nebraska won by at least 23.

By contrast, Alabama has had a couple of close calls, with a 48-43 victory over Ole Miss and a 10-0 win over LSU on its schedule. In the earlier game, the Crimson Tide actually led by 18 in the second half before the Rebels scored two late touchdowns, but the LSU game was scoreless heading into the final quarter.

* Hold on, you say, Nebraska probably beat up on a weak Big 8 conference that year. Well, not really. Kansas State, Colorado and Kansas all finished with at least 10 wins, and the Cornhuskers whipped them all by an average score of 45-16.

Alabama has one victory so far over a team with double-digit wins, that being a 38-10 win over a Western Kentucky team that finished 11-3. USC, which Alabama beat 52-6 on opening weekend, is the only other Crimson Tide regular-season opponent with a chance to get to 10 wins. (And let's remember teams play one more regular-season game now than they did back then, which they played just 11).

* Nebraska won its national championship by routing Florida 62-24 in the Fiesta Bowl. That Gators team, which many (including me) considered the best of the Steve Spurrier era, had won all its previous games by double-digits. Alabama won't have a chance to beat a team as good as that 1995 Florida team.

Alabama's championship story is not yet written. Should the Crimson Tide win convincingly over Washington and Ohio State/Clemson, then I would say it certainly has an argument as the greatest team of all-time.

For one thing, the Crimson Tide would have played 15 games whereas Nebraska in 1995 played only 12. That's 25 percent more games -- and thus, three more chances to lose -- for one team over the other.

And Nebraska in 1995 did not have to play a conference championship game, nor did it have to win a national semifinal game. If Alabama wins out, it will have beaten the country's No. 4 team and then either No. 2 or No. 3.

So here's the bottom line -- If Alabama wins its next two games in convincing fashion, it's the greatest college football team of all time in my opinion. But it's not there yet.

(As an aside, we all remember in 2005 when ESPN was hyping USC as the greatest college football team of all time. The Trojans then promptly lost in the Rose Bowl to Vince Young and Texas, in what might be the most exciting college football game ever).

So what do you think? Any other teams you'd consider for No. 1 all-time?

I'll take your questions and comments on that or anything else on your mind beginning at 10 a.m.

I would agree with you that the '95 Nebraska team was better than this Bama team. However, I'll take the 2004 USC team over either of them.

Post #: 3188
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/27/2016 7:06:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mia Molitor in 15 years, only instead of Bama she will be the aggressive Mom at the Sooners games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVVNN2pzaHw

In 15 years pretty sure Mia Molitor would start a human avalanche with that landing.
Post #: 3189
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/27/2016 9:49:18 PM   
Steve Lentz

Gophers shock Washington State.

Post #: 3190
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2016 8:05:21 AM   
Brad H

Tough 24 hours for the SEC. Went 0-3 yesterday.

Post #: 3191
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2016 8:25:15 AM   
Bruce Johnson

And the Pac-12 team looks bad again last night with Colorado being humiliated vs. a team that was rated slightly lower than them. (Oklahoma St.) As much as I will be rooting for Washington, I don't like their chances vs. Alabama even though the SEC is 0-3. The Big 10 teams seem to be doing well. Indiana played a ranked team and almost won and another team, I forget, (was it Northwestern?) won their game decisively. By virtue of that, I think Ohio State can play well tomorrow night.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3192
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2016 9:41:29 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

And the Pac-12 team looks bad again last night with Colorado being humiliated vs. a team that was rated slightly lower than them. (Oklahoma St.) As much as I will be rooting for Washington, I don't like their chances vs. Alabama even though the SEC is 0-3. The Big 10 teams seem to be doing well. Indiana played a ranked team and almost won and another team, I forget, (was it Northwestern?) won their game decisively. By virtue of that, I think Ohio State can play well tomorrow night.

Colorado was soft down the stretch.

Post #: 3193
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2016 7:44:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Ranked #10, though.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 3194
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/30/2016 8:25:56 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

He's burned. Nobody is going to touch him during the draft, at least early.

DV is the ultimate no no and with all of these league sponsored ad campaigns, any team taking him is asking for trouble.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 3195
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2016 10:05:47 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Ranked #10, though.

Still a year or so away. They were a fraud, just like Nebraska was a fraud.

Post #: 3196
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2016 10:07:42 AM   
Brad H

Just hoping for two good games today. Would love to see Chris Peterson pull a rabbit out of the hat, but Bama looks pretty unbeatable. Would love to see Clemson destroy Ohio State.

The Michigan loss was completely satisfying. As many times as the Gophers have been screwed in the Big House, I have little to no compassion for the Michigan fan. Feel the same way about Ohio State. Both could lose their next 40 in a row and I would have no problems with it.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/31/2016 10:09:55 AM >

Post #: 3197
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2016 11:57:58 AM   
twinsfan

Wonder if Winfield will go pro now?

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 3198
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2016 3:17:10 PM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Wonder if Winfield will go pro now?

No way. He may transfer but he's not that talented.
Post #: 3199
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2016 4:51:40 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Shit, it's depressing to see Washington's QB out punt the Locke
Post #: 3200
Page:   <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode