Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 9:02:36 AM   
SoMnFan

My 4
(for totally random reasons, and for how they are playing NOW)

1. Bama
2. Washington
3. Clemson
4. a. Ohio State
b. USC
c. Oklahoma

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 3126
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 9:16:11 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I understand the argument of OSU but I would be pissed if they keep PSU out. I don't like either school. I just think it would absolutely show how bullshit their system is.

Everybody already knows it's a sham but you would favor a team that didn't even play for their conference title over a team that beat them head-to-head.
Post #: 3127
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 9:19:02 AM   
SoMnFan

Agreed
Not even sure why I threw them in there.
Influenced by the past I guess, as well.
Michigans played better, and PSU has done what they were told they had to do, but I think OSU beats either one of them in a game right now.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 3128
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 9:21:01 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't disagree a bit with your last statement. It's just not what the committee has said will get you in in the past.
Post #: 3129
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 9:22:46 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I don't disagree a bit with your last statement. It's just not what the committee has said will get you in in the past.

Yep, which I don't get.
I'd look at it as ... who is playing the best right now, and who do I think would beat who ...
But you're right, they base it on criteria I can't get a handle on.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 3130
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 10:04:53 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

My 4
(for totally random reasons, and for how they are playing NOW)

1. Bama
2. Washington
3. Clemson
4. a. Ohio State
b. USC
c. Oklahoma

I'm a big West Coast guy, but I don't believe Washington is the second best team in the country. IMO, they are a borderline final four team. The one thing they have going for them is a great (one-game scenario) coach. Chris Peterson has proven over the years to be a guy that is really good if you give him time to prepare for the one big game. I'm just not sure Alabama is winnable for the Huskies.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 3131
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 10:07:39 AM   
Brad H

As I have been saying for years, Wisconsin is the most overrated program in the country.............EVERY YEAR. Once again they proved it last night. When will the voters figure it out?

Post #: 3132
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 10:14:30 AM   
Jeff Jesser

I don't think anyone can hang with Alabama but at least Wash 'could' get some points on the board. To beat them you have to:

1. Score early (ala Florida) and hang on for dear life. Don't get all cute (ala Florida) and start slinging it all over the field. You blinked and they scored 2 TD's on D and it was game over.
2. Hope to get that Frosh to make some mistakes at QB and capitalize on them.
3. Be smart on ST's.

I agree about Peterson, Brad. If anyone can game plan a way to beat them, one time, it would be him.
Post #: 3133
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 10:26:13 AM   
Brad H

quote:

I don't think anyone can hang with Alabama but at least Wash 'could' get some points on the board. To beat them you have to:

1. Score early (ala Florida) and hang on for dear life. Don't get all cute (ala Florida) and start slinging it all over the field. You blinked and they scored 2 TD's on D and it was game over.
2. Hope to get that Frosh to make some mistakes at QB and capitalize on them.
3. Be smart on ST's.

I agree about Peterson, Brad. If anyone can game plan a way to beat them, one time, it would be him.

Florida is an awful team. The Washington QB will not make the mistakes that the Gator quarterback did. Just not sure they can hold up in the trenches with Bama for 60 minutes. USC pushed them around quite a bit.

Post #: 3134
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 1:49:31 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

I understand the argument of OSU but I would be pissed if they keep PSU out. I don't like either school. I just think it would absolutely show how bullshit their system is.

Everybody already knows it's a sham but you would favor a team that didn't even play for their conference title over a team that beat them head-to-head.

I understand your thinking Jeff and it makes sense. I was hoping the Big 10 would get 2 teams.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 3135
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 2:21:22 PM   
Steve Lentz

The more I think about it, Washington got very lucky to make it. The line on that game could be one of the biggest in the playoffs ever.

Post #: 3136
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 2:36:36 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

The more I think about it, Washington got very lucky to make it. The line on that game could be one of the biggest in the playoffs ever.

Not true.
Washington has a roster of NFLers, as they usually do.
Young players, but talented.

They may not win, but they'll hang with Alabama.

You need to watch more Pac-12 football.
Actually anything other than Big 14 football would likely enlighten you.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 3137
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 3:09:19 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Not true.

I should have said fortunate instead of very lucky.
I'm looking at their non conference schedule and seeing Portland State, Idaho and Rutgers. I'm looking at that they played a top 10 team and lost at home. I'm guessing the line will be very large.
I did see a Pac 12 game in Nebraska this year.
I think Penn State has a good argument as well.

< Message edited by Steve Lentz -- 12/4/2016 3:36:28 PM >

Post #: 3138
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 4:25:43 PM   
McMurfy

The Committee is full of contradictions.

Conference Championships matter, until they don't.
Strength of Schedule matters, until it doesn't.

That game in Lincoln started the Fire Helfrich talk.
Was always way in over his head.

Post #: 3139
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 4:33:51 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

You want Frost back?

Post #: 3140
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 5:38:36 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

You want Frost back?

No,
Hoping for Dan Mullen,
maybe PJ Fleck,
think it might already be Willie Taggert

Post #: 3141
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/4/2016 7:01:35 PM   
Steve Lentz

Early lines.
Alabama a 14 point favorite and Ohio State a 3 point favorite.

Post #: 3142
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 7:27:26 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

You want Frost back?

No,
Hoping for Dan Mullen,
maybe PJ Fleck,

I'm hearing Musgrave.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 3143
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 8:08:10 AM   
Ed_Marotske

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

As I have been saying for years, Wisconsin is the most overrated program in the country.............EVERY YEAR. Once again they proved it last night. When will the voters figure it out?

I know you watch a lot of college ball but come on Brad. Wisconsin played one of the toughest schedules in all of college football. They were within one play of beating both Michigan and Ohio State. I will admit, they blew it out their collective asses in the B1G Championship Game, but to say they are over rated is a bit of a stretch. They played a decent nonconference schedule and couldn't have played a tougher conference schedule.

That being said, I usually pull for the B1G come bowl season, but I cannot and will not pull for OSU. After listening to Urban Meyer this morning on M&M I won't do it. Just a year or so ago Meyer stated he believed you shouldn't even be considered for the playoff if you do not win your conference tournament and this morning he was trying to justify the OSU selection. No, I am not saying they should turn it down, but he could have acknowledged his previous statement and then said that OSU doesn't have a vote and are thankful for the committee's recognition. He's just an arrogant POS. Clemson is going to POUND them and I am going to enjoy it.

I thought the whole idea of having this committee and the selection of the 4 playoff teams was to select the best 4 teams in the country. Did that get done? Many are saying USC is playing some of the best football in the country, shouldn't they be in there? If OSU can topple a conference champion in PSU who beat them head to head why not USC in instead of Washington? This selection committee has become the farce that the BCS was.....
Post #: 3144
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 10:01:12 AM   
Trekgeekscott

I admit to being off the grid this weekend (singing in a Christmas concert). Heard this morning that Ohio State who didn't win their half of the Big Ten much less the conference championship got into the BCS playoff.

Why have the illusion of a fair process? Why not just have four permanent seeds like OSU Alabam, etc etc

College football and the BCS is a nothing but a joke now.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 3145
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 10:16:52 AM   
Phil Riewer

I think that Clemson has the most NFL talent....not sure they have a top 5 coach though to go along with it....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 3146
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 11:44:12 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

Not true.

Agreed. People in Big Ten country have an idea about West Coast football, but they rarely watch it.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 7/26/2020 7:48:59 AM >

Post #: 3147
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 11:49:28 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed_Marotske

quote:

I know you watch a lot of college ball but come on Brad. Wisconsin played one of the toughest schedules in all of college football. They were within one play of beating both Michigan and Ohio State. I will admit, they blew it out their collective asses in the B1G Championship Game, but to say they are over rated is a bit of a stretch. They played a decent nonconference schedule and couldn't have played a tougher conference schedule.

That being said, I usually pull for the B1G come bowl season, but I cannot and will not pull for OSU. After listening to Urban Meyer this morning on M&M I won't do it. Just a year or so ago Meyer stated he believed you shouldn't even be considered for the playoff if you do not win your conference tournament and this morning he was trying to justify the OSU selection. No, I am not saying they should turn it down, but he could have acknowledged his previous statement and then said that OSU doesn't have a vote and are thankful for the committee's recognition. He's just an arrogant POS. Clemson is going to POUND them and I am going to enjoy it.

I thought the whole idea of having this committee and the selection of the 4 playoff teams was to select the best 4 teams in the country. Did that get done? Many are saying USC is playing some of the best football in the country, shouldn't they be in there? If OSU can topple a conference champion in PSU who beat them head to head why not USC in instead of Washington? This selection committee has become the farce that the BCS was.....

They've had some solid squads, but in large part they are a fraud. We wake up every August with them being ranked in the top-15, and rarely (if ever) have they delivered. LSU was not a great football team this year. They had major offensive issues and Wisconsin barely eeked out a win. Outside of that, look at that schedule and give me one good win. I guess Nebraska would be its next-best win, but the Huskers had zero wins I would call impressive. They didn't beat a team with a pulse all season. The Gophers had the Badgers on the ropes for 3.5 quarters.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/5/2016 11:52:04 AM >

Post #: 3148
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 5:41:00 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ed_Marotske

quote:

What's the over/under on Penn State losses for OSU to have legitimately qualified for the playoffs, IYO? 2/3, 3/4, 4/5?
Post #: 3149
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/5/2016 5:41:42 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

quote:

You want Frost back?

No,
Hoping for Dan Mullen,
maybe PJ Fleck,

I'm hearing Musgrave.

KA
Post #: 3150
Page:   <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  124 125 [126] 127 128   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode